Start by marking “Cross Her Heart (Bree Taggert, #1)” as Want to Read:
Cross Her Heart (Bree Taggert, #1)

Cross Her Heart

(Bree Taggert #1)

A homicide detectives violent family history repeats itself in #1 Amazon Charts and Wall Street Journal bestselling author Melinda Leighs novel of murder, secrets, and retribution.

For more than twenty-five years, Philadelphia homicide detective Bree Taggert has tucked away the nightmarish childhood memories of her parents murder-suicideUntil her younger sister, Erin, is
Published March 17th 2020 by Montlake

To ask other readers questions about Cross Her Heart, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cross Her Heart

Start your review of Cross Her Heart (Bree Taggert, #1)
Linda Strong
Feb 03, 2020 rated it really liked it

By the time Homicide Detective Bree Taggart gets a cell phone call from her sister, and she speeds to the small town where they grew up, it's too late. Her sister, Erin, is murdered, in a similar way to her memories of her parents' murder-suicide years before.

The only difference here is that Erin's husband, Justin, has disappeared.

Did he murder his wife ... or is he also a victim?

Justin's best friend, Matt Flynn, was once a sheriff's investigator. An on-the-job shooting left him unable to
Allison Brennan
Nov 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Melinda Leigh has topped herselfand goes to the top of my must-read author list. CROSS HER HEART is everything I love in a thriller, and Bree Taggert is everything I love in a heroine. READ THIS BOOK. You wont be able to put it down.

*** Review to come ***
Sophia
Home was a place of dark memories and a painful past, but now Detective Bree Taggert has rushed back after a frantic call from her younger sister only to discover Erin is dead and her husband, Justin, is missing and a person of interest to the county sheriff's department. Jumping into a new Melinda Leigh series was something I did with all the excitement of a five year old with a pile of birthday presents to unwrap. There was no doubt in my mind that I was going to love what I got.

Cross Her
Obsidian
Jan 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
Please note that I received this book via NetGalley. This did not affect my rating or review.

So I really liked this first book though I think that things got a bit too convoluted towards the end. I will definitely read the next book though because I like how Melinda Leigh set this up and I adored the characters of Bree and her partner from the Philadelphia police, Dana. I was okay about Mike (the other lead I guess you could say) but not that focused on him while reading this.

"Cross Her Heart"
Anita
Nov 06, 2019 rated it really liked it

This is the first book in a new series by Melinda Leigh, an author I really love. The setting is not far from her old stomping grounds in Scarlet Falls, NY and the characters have a similar feel. The plot, as always, is a great mystery/suspense that keeps you guessing to the end. There is an almost romance to be fleshed out in coming books, I'm sure. This looks to be a great
Anne - Books of My Heart
This review was originally posted on Books of My Heart

Review copy was received from Publisher. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.

4.5 hearts

I have really loved reading Melinda Leigh's other series,  so I was excited to try the new Bree Taggert series. I buddy read Cross Her Heart with Sophia since we are both huge fans of this author. We both felt right away it was going to be great.

I easily settled into reading right from the start. The world and the
Dísir
Melinda Leighs an old hand at this by nowwriting taut and tight thrillers, I mean. With cleverly plotted, smartly-paced narratives that scarcely let you blink, the new Bree Taggert seriesfollowing the Morgan Dane one which I lovedis promising to be a good one, particularly if youre more into the suspense than the romance.

Bree Taggerts never really far from her violent past, but history seems to repeat itself in her sisters murder, bringing her back to a place where she finds herself saddled
julia ☆ [owls reads]
Feb 07, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: arc, mystery
3 stars!

Cross Her Heart was the quickest read ever. The writing was amazing as always and the plot was engaging, if a bit convoluted. The first chapter was so so so sad and Leigh perfectly translated that kind of horror to the page as well as the tension that followed with Erins mystery. The focus of the novel was very much in the investigation, but there was still a flicker of romance at the end.

This was a pretty good setup for the series. Bree was very well developed as a character and her
İlkim
Nov 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
A good suspense is always one of my favorite genres. I didnt read any novels before from this author, but I heard about her. And Im very glad that I got the arc from netgalley, I really liked the story. Bree Taggert is the heroine that I want to read in suspense novels. Shes smart, strong and good in her job. Her childhood was hard, and now she is in that town again. Her sister Erin is dead and she will do anything to find her killer and be with her children.

I liked the writing. I liked both
Bea
Mar 10, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well, "Cross Her Heart" gets the new series off to a rocking good start. As I read it, I resented the need to sleep and to go to work. I didn't want to put it down.Now, there were a few things that were predictable, but others weren't. For instance, I did not figure out who the killer was until they were revealed.

One quick note. The book is published by Montlake, Amazon's romance division, but it's about 95% mystery and only 5% romance. The romance is mild, extremely slow burn, and strictly
Zoe
Mar 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
Twisty, menacing, and intense!

In this compelling first installment in the Bree Taggert series, Cross Her Heart, Leigh has written a well-paced whodunit where cases from the past and the present collide, suspects are numerous, and danger lurks around every corner.

The writing is smooth and tight. The characters are dependable, persistent, and troubled. And the plot is a captivating police procedural with lots of twists, turns, red herrings, familial drama, deception, jealousy, obsession, abuse,
Paula  Phillips
Jan 16, 2020 rated it liked it
One of my favorite female mystery writers is Melinda Leigh, so when I saw her latest for review on Netgalley, I jumped at the chance to read it. The only thing I have to say which was a personal thing was I didn't like the surname Taggart as after watching a few TV shows including Eureka - Taggart seems like an old person name, though as she is a Detective it does work as more often than not cops are called by their surname alone - so in that aspect it did work. Cross Her Heart is the first book ...more
TJ
Jan 28, 2020 rated it really liked it
What a great start to a promisingly addictive series! Ms. Leigh has crafted the main character of Bree Taggert so deftly that the reader will immediately connect and become involved in both her struggles and her strengths. She is heart-breakingly sympathetic and admirably resilient. The possible love interest of Matt Flynn is also a masterful move. His character compliments the tortured and closed Bree in all the perfect ways - paving the way for fabulous future possibilities, both personally ...more
Lulu Dumonceaux
Mar 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
4.5 Stars

Bree Taggert and her siblings Erin & Adam survived a violent and traumatic night that left both her parents dead. Bree has made it a point to not return to the town where they all grew up because of those bad memories but when her sister calls and says she is in trouble she gets in the car. Unfortunately, Bree arrives too late and Erin is murdered, Erin's estranged husband, Justin, has vanished, and Erin's two children are devastated. Bree vows to avenge Erin's death by finding who
Bea

Cindy
Nov 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
A new series that kicks off with homicide detective Bree Taggert's world being turned upside down another violent death of a family member similar to the one that shattered her world as a child.

Three children were left orphaned when their father murdered their mother in front of them and then killed himself after. The oldest left the small town of Grey's Hollow and became a homicide detective in Philadelphia. The younger sister and brother were raised Greys Hollow and never left. When Bree gets
Christa
Dec 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ebook-arc
Cross Her Heart is a really great start to a new series. Bree Taggart makes a fantastic heroine. There were other great characters in the book, and it had a storyline that kept my attention and left me impatient for more once I was finished.
Kristin
Feb 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you love romantic suspense, you will love Melinda Leigh. This is her seventh series, I think, and shes definitely a solid and consistent author and always delivers.

Cross Her Heart is book one of a new series and is loosely connected to her Scarlet Falls and Morgan Dane series. I was so excited to meet this new character, Bree Taggert, a homicide detective in Phillidelphia and jump into the sad, dark murder that brought her back to her hometown after so many years away.

Bree Taggert is
Ruby
Mar 23, 2020 rated it liked it
With quarantine in full effect and no sign or indication of when this ordeal will pass, Ive been getting more than my fair share of reading in lately. I just finished Cross Her Heart by Melinda Leigh. Thank you to @Netgalley and @amazonpublishing for the arc in exchange for my voluntary review.

This novel centers around Bree Taggert, a homicide detective whose childhood was scarred by the murder-suicide of her parents. Now its present day and we learn her younger sister, Erin, was just murdered.
Kathy Martin
Mar 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Bree Taggert is a homicide detective in Philadelphia. She has managed to put a horrible childhood behind her - mostly. When she was eight, her abusive father killer her mother and then himself leaving three children. Bree was raised by a cousin while her younger siblings were raised by their grandparents. She's managed to rebuild her relationships with her siblings but have very mixed feelings about returning to her hometown.

However, when she gets a call from her sister Erin, she drops
Reen
Mar 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Homicide Detective Bree Taggart gets a frantic call from her sister and she rushes to their hometown but it's too late. Her sister, Erin, is murdered in way similar to their parents' death 25 years ago. And Erin's husband Justin is missing and a person of interest. Matt Flynn is a former sheriff's investigator and K-9 handler who survived an incident of friendly fire along with his K-9 partner Brody. Matt is a friend of Justin's and wants to be sure that Justin isn't blamed for the murder simply ...more
Veronica
Mar 11, 2020 rated it really liked it
I received a free copy of this book to read and review for Wicked Reads.

Cross Her Heart is the first book in a new series following Detective Bree Taggert. The prologue for this story is pretty confronting. We are with 8 year old Bree as she calls 911 while her parents fight which ends in tragedy. Fast forward 25 years and Bree is again facing tragedy when her little sister is murdered.

Bree travels to her home town to track down her sister's killer, arrange a funeral and determinate who will
Gloria Herrera for As You Wish Reviews
It all started with a desperate call from her little sister Erin asking for help. Bree was busy apprehending a perp when her phone rang. Retrieving the voice mail, she was deeply disturbed her sister was calling for help. Erin never called unless it was to just stay in touch and never asking for help.

This is the story of a complex crime not only deeply impacting her family but also with echoes from the past. Bree travels five hours to her sister's home worried about the worst that could happen.
Lauren
Mar 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arcs-first-reads
Bree Taggert had a rough childhood. It all came to a head one day, and she had to grow up quickly. At only 8 year old, she saved her two younger siblings from her abusive father. The town sheriff became her hero that day, and he made quite the impression. It was then she knew what she wanted to do with her life. But the memories were too much in Grey's Hollow, so she decided to do it elsewhere. She rarely came back to Grey's, even to visit her siblings. But that all changed the day she received ...more
Avid Reader
Mar 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
Cross Her Heart (Bree Taggert #1) by Melinda Leigh
4 stars
M/F Thriller
Triggers: Addiction, Blackmail, Abuse, Murder
I was given this book for an honest review by Wicked Reads.

Bree is a tough woman. She knows what lurks in the night and still chooses to go out and fight those who are unable to fight for themselves. But, because of her past, she is also slightly distant when it comes to her family. She is the protector, but can't always connect like she wants. After a mysterious call from her
Mary
Mar 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: wicked
I received a free copy of this book to read and review for Wicked Reads.

Trigger warning - child abuse/domestic violence

It's been a while since a book grabbed my attention, and held it, to the last page. I only put this book down when my poor neglected dogs and cats would not stop clamoring for my attention because it was past their supper time.

Bree Taggert is a strong woman, having survived a very difficult childhood. When tragedy strikes again, not only does it bring back the terrible memories
Erika
Mar 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: thriller, mystery
Bree's mother was murdered by her father when she and her siblings were just kids. Now a homicide detective, she has to deal with her sister's murder and the aftermath for her niece and nephew.

Cross Her Heart grabs you from the very first page and doesn't let go. This thriller kept my complete attention even when there was no action at the moment. The characters and their individual problems are all so believable that you truly feel for what they are going through. It sounds like this may be the
amberreadsromance
I have not read a book by Melinda Leigh before so I did not know what to expect. I will say that the thrill and suspense is there but I'm not sure how this is a romantic suspense. I did not pick up on any romance whatsoever. I actually found skipping many pages to get through the book so it's possible I missed it between to the main characters. Unfortunately this just wasn't cutting it for me.

*I received this book in exchange for an honest review.*
Ang -PNR Book Lover Reviews
Feb 08, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: febuary-20-20
Andy
Mar 16, 2020 rated it really liked it
I really liked this. It's well written, complex and subtle: a real page turner, with credible characters. I was into it from page one.
Melinda Leigh is the #1 Wall Street Journal and #1 Amazon Charts bestselling author of the Morgan Dane series and Cross Her Heart , among other thrilling novels. She has sold over 8 million books across her prolific career.

• The Last Sister (Columbia River, #1)
  • Her Broken Wings (Detectives Kane and Alton, #8)
  • Before He Vanished
  • A Bad Day for Sunshine (Sunshine Vicram, #1)
  • Little Secrets
  • One Little Lie (The Pelican Harbor #1)
  • Please See Us
  • The Third to Die
  • Yours in Scandal (Man of the Year, #1)
  • A Cold Trail (Tracy Crosswhite, #7)
  • Deep Freeze (Stormwatch #2)
  • Scot Under the Covers (Wild Wicked Highlanders, #2)
  • Been There, Married That
  • The Night Swim
  • The Girl from Widow Hills
  • Cold Truth (Ellie Kline Series Book One)
  • Cold Hunt (Ellie Kline Series: Book Two)
  • Frozen Ground (Stormwatch #1)
#1 Wall Street Journal and #1 Amazon bestselling author Melinda Leigh is a fully recovered banker who learned that writing books is way more fun than analyzing financial statements. Melindas debut novel, SHE CAN RUN, was nominated for Best First Novel by the International Thriller Writers. Since then, she has garnered numerous writing accolades, including two RITA® Award nominations and an ...more