Start by marking “Black Heart (Echoes of the Underworld, #1)” as Want to Read:
Black Heart (Echoes of the Underworld, #1)

Black Heart (Echoes of the Underworld, #1)

An Enemies to Lovers Mafia Romance...

My name is Nicolai Valsetti, but people call me Black Heart.
My father has been murdered, making me the next king of New Jersey. I was taught to live by three mottos: pride, power, and protection. But now, with my father dead, and my brother kidnapped, all I feel is pain. All I want is possession. And I will get my revenge.

Sophia Kastrat
Published April 2020 by Kay Leonie Creagh

To ask other readers questions about Black Heart, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Black Heart

Start your review of Black Heart (Echoes of the Underworld, #1)
❤️ Paulette  Alphas Review
Title: ➳ Black Heart
Series: ➳ Echoes from the Underworld 1#
Author: ➳ Maggie Kay
Published May 28, 2020. LIVE
🔥 🔥 🔥 🔥

ღ I must say this was one of the best enemies to lovers’ stories so far this year…

Two mafia families in a never-ending war of hate, greed, & revenge between families. For about 10 years now…
once upon a time….. believe it or not the Valsetti & Kastrati… they were allies once, which is hard to believe now… It’s a tit for tat war, with no end in sight.

Nicolai Valsetti is now the new k
Lorraine Lesar
May 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
Power is obtainable
Respect is earned
Loyalty is priceless
And revenge?
Revenge is sweet.
These are the lessons that Nicolai Valsetti has learnt.

The Albanians murdered Nicolai’s father.
Revenge is guaranteed.
However, 2 years later that revenge is not a sweet and rewarding taste, but a bitter aftertaste, as it has not been forth coming. To add salt to the already festering wound, Luca (Nicolai’s brother) has now been taken by them.
On a tip-off, Nicolai goes to retrieve Luca and hopefully get the rev
Corinne
Dec 21, 2020 rated it liked it
3 dark mafia stars

Black Heart is a forbidden, captor/captive, dark mafia romance. It is a Romeo and Juliet retelling about the romance between Nicolai Valsetti and Sophia Kastrati. Nicolai is head of the New Jersey mafia clan and Sophia is his sworn enemy's daughter.
When his brother Luca goes missing, Nicolai suspects Sophia's father. In trying to rescue Luca, he ends up taking Sophia prisoner as collateral.
This is a new-to-me author and I have enjoyed this book. The action scenes are well bui
Allyson
Dec 26, 2020 rated it really liked it
I loved Sophia, she was so feisty and loyal until she knew the truth. Nic was a strong character and I like how we got to hear his thoughts. There were a few twist to this story, I would like to have more. Good start to the series. On to the next one 😀
Peta Matthews
May 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Enemies to lovers - tick
Mafia Action/violence/ grit -tick
hot heavy passion- tick

What more could you want? I could not put this book down and read it in one day!
This was a faced paced, hot, and sexy, full of angst romance. I just loved Nicolai and Sofia!
I can't wait for the next book in the series, I am dying to know more about Eden and Alessio. Oh and I hope Luca gets his HEA too!
Phoebe
May 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Wow! What an intense love story!
I love the way Maggie has written the action into Sofia and Nicolai's dark romance. The precise and detailed research put in to write this passionate novel drags you in so much that I felt like I was in the story! I personally love the battle between the main characters and the strength and power written into protagonist, Sofia.
I received an arc copy of Black Heart for an honest review to assist this progressing author with her release and encourage constructive
Wendy Livingstone
May 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is the first in a new series and is Nicolai and Sophia’s story. After the death of his father Nicolai is now the head of the mafia, and when his brother is taken, he is determined to get him back by any means necessary. Sophia is the daughter of the kingpin for the rival mafia which is responsible for his dad’s death as well as his brothers’ disappearance, and Nicolai is on a mission of vengeance. This is a well written dark and intense story which is raw, gritty, and intriguing as well as ...more
Jess
May 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book was so hard to put down. Sophia and Nicolai's love story is so intense. The perfect enemies to lovers. Lots of action, suspense and angst. Highly recommend! ...more
Jennifer Pierson
May 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Boy, I'm so glad I'm not a woman in the mafia, because they seem to end up as collateral damage at the end of the day. In Black Heart, the Valsetti & Kastrati family are at war, and have been for a couple of decades now, which has resulted in a lot of deaths. Nicolai Valsetti is now the head of his family, and his younger brother Luca is missing, and he's sure it's the Kastrati family who has him. Now, he comes across Sophia after a tip was sent to them, and once he figures out who she is, it's ...more
Jasmine Stevens
May 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is my first time reading a Mafia Romance and let me say I was impressed. I couldn't put this book down and finished it in record time. Black Heart is packed with action, intrigue, intensity, power, suspense, passion, and ultimately love.
Maggie Kay you have done it again. You have given us another compelling story with steamy chemistry between the two strong main characters. I loved how strong and brave Sofia was and loved how we saw the growth and transformation of Nicolai.
Well done Maggie
Jill Badker
May 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Sophia Kastrati has been estranged from her family to keep her safe. Not only does that all change in a heartbeat but her mind and heart are changing too. Nicolai Valsetti the king or New Jersey only wants to save his family and keep them safe, he never expects a woman to start showing his black heart some light. These two come together to try to protect their families but find out them need to protect themselves from each other, but neither can deny the pull they feel towards the other.
Shannon Godwin
May 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Perfect enemies to lovers book! Could not put it down!!! Loved it! Ready for more!
Sarah Elyse
Dec 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Nicolai Valsetti was made a King of the Underworld after the murder of his father by his family’s most bitter rival, the Kastrati family. Now, his younger brother Luca has been taken, and Nicolai will stop at nothing for revenge. Following a lead, Nicolai finds and rescues a beautiful young woman from death by smoke inhalation. Little does he know, however, that this captivating girl is Sofia Kastrati, the daughter of the head of the Kastrati family. Once he finds out, however, he decides to hol ...more
Shae
May 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A great introduction to a new to me author!

This is a new series featuring the mafia world. Book 1 is about Nicolai and Sophia.

Nicolai is the head of the mafia. Sophia is the daughter of another mafia family head. Unfortunately, these two families have been at war for the last few generations. Now they have kidnapped his brother. Nicolai is ready for revenge when he encounters Sophia.

Sophia has lead a rather quiet life for the last few years, hardly anyone knows about her. Will Sophia help Nico
May 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Honestly I couldn’t put it down! I was drawn in quite quickly and just thrives there. It has everything you want. Darkness, light, sadness, happiness...hate and love. You quickly are trying to figure out sides and drawl lines but it is t always easy. They say mean rule in these kinds of worlds but in my opinion two women took control and solved problems. And let’s face it problems men and egos caused. The storyline is great and easy to follow. The only problem I had with it was in the beginning ...more
Linda
May 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Oooohhh, enemies to lovers always gives me tingles. Add mafia, and I'm a goner!

I do enjoy it when the heroine isn't a weakling; she has some chutzpah! Sofia was a great yin to Nicolai's yang. I so enjoy when the dark hero allows light into the darkness. That the damsel is not a damsel, she's a hero.

In this first in series, you have action, angst, twists, and threads I'm sure the author will be pulling in later entries. This is my first book by this author, and I will be checking her other nove
Gen
Jul 22, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mafia romance 🖤

This is a change from Maggie’s first two books.

I loved Nic and Sophia’s love/hate story. Look forward to reading more in this series.
Valerie Joyce
May 30, 2020
Amanda
Dec 16, 2020
Maggie Kay
Mar 10, 2020 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: dark-romance
TMR
Anelya Amelia
May 21, 2020

• The Devil and the Deep Blue Sea
  • Savage Beginnings (The Moretti Crime Family, #1)
  • From Evil (Deliver, #4-6)
  • Bloody Union (Made, #1)
  • Blood and Bone
  • The Seasons of Callan Reed
  • Dominate (Deliver #8)
  • by Mistake (Poison & Wine, #1)
  • Stoney's Property (Devil's Riot MC: Originals, #1)
  • Evil's Price (Devil's Outlaws MC, #1)
  • Evil's Pact (Devil's Outlaws MC #3)
  • Ignite (The Disciples, #4)
  • The Darkest Temptation (Made, #3)
  • Hate Me
  • A Vow Of Hate
  • My Life
  • Beautifully Broken
Maggie Kay grew up in between the picturesque wine region of the Hunter Valley and the magnificent coastlines of Newcastle in Australia. It is the perfect place to raise her three children.

In her spare time, you will find her reading and spending time with her children and fur babies. She simply cannot survive without her daily dose of coffee, but at night prefers a glass or two of wine to keep he

News & Interviews

“My revenge or her, I can't have them both. One will cost me the other.” 1 likes