Start by marking “Cold Wicked Lies (Cold Justice: Crossfire #3)” as Want to Read:
Cold Wicked Lies (Cold Justice: Crossfire #3)

Cold Wicked Lies

(Cold Justice: Crossfire #3)

In an effort to halt an armed standoff, FBI negotiator Charlotte Blood tries to unravel the mystery of a young woman’s death on a remote mountainside. Pity she has to fight her stubborn, sexy, Hostage Rescue Team counterpart every step of the way.

Published June 8th 2020 by Toni Anderson Inc.

To ask other readers questions about Cold Wicked Lies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cold Wicked Lies

Start your review of Cold Wicked Lies (Cold Justice: Crossfire #3)
Caz
Jul 25, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've given this a B+ for narration and an A- for content at AudioGals - 4.5 stars

Cold Wicked Lies is book three in Toni Anderson’s Cold Justice: Crossfire series, which is a spin-off from her long-running Cold Justice series. I recently listened to book one of the Crossfire books, Cold & Deadly and thoroughly enjoyed it; I’ve leapfrogged over book two (which I intend to listen to very soon), but even though characters from other books do appear in others, all the books in both series wor
Dísir
I actually do think there's little that Toni Anderson can't do, especially as she continues to churn out high-quality reads with her FBI Cold Justice juggernaut of a series that doesn't seem to run out of steam.

With 'Cold Wicked Lies’, SSA Payne Novak and Charlotte Blood (cue the bad puns here) run out of road early on—the HRT operator and the negotiator walk opposing paths to conflict resolution. Tough action versus peaceful negotiation forms the basis of their conflict, so much so that their
Annika Martin
May 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I was complaining to my man this morning that I hardly got any sleep last night because of reading this early copy I got of this book, and he's like, STOP READING IT! Don't read it tonight! And I'm all NO WAY I have to finish!! It's just madly compelling and page-turny is all! It's sexy and so fascinating and yummy! I love this hostage negotiation stuff, and the hero is so vulnerable yet alpha at the same time. Also, Toni Anderson always delivers on a smart heroine in a big way, which I deeply l ...more
Lisa Regan
Jun 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Cold Wicked Lies is a propulsive thriller wrapped in a searing hot romance. Anderson keeps the twists coming right up to the last page in this story. FBI negotiator, Charlotte Blood is called to a scene in Washington state where conflict has broken out between a compound filled with doomsday preppers and the local authorities after a young girl's mysterious death. Right off the bat, SSA Blood finds herself at odds with the hostage rescue expert, agent Payne Novak. Their boss decides they must fi ...more
Bea
Another Toni Anderson book, happy sigh. I don't remember now who it was that first introduced me to her books, or maybe I stumbled over them, but her books are amazing. Solid, gripping and relevant stories, empathetic and realistic characters, lots of fast-paced action and steamy romance, and a dash or two of humor. "Cold Wicked Lies" lived up to those standards.

This scene had me open-mouthed at first and then cackling. I won't give you the lead up; you really need to read it in context, but enj
Anita
Aug 27, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle-la-city
I have loved everything Toni Anderson has written from her first book on, giving all 4 and 5 Star ratings. This one just didn't live up to that for me. It would have been a solid 4-Star, but I deducted 1/2 a Star and I'll tell you why. Throughout the book both the hero and heroine were all up in their heads over each other. I wouldn't call is angst exactly, but it got darn annoying and broke the flow of the story big time. It's an enemies to lovers trope romance and the plot was great overall.

Ch
Wendy
Jun 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
Toni Anderson has to be one of my favourite romantic suspense authors and she didn't disappoint with Cold Wicked Lies.
I'm looking forward to the next book in her Cold Justice: Crossfire series.
Amy Thomas
Jun 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I don't know how she does it but, every book Toni writes gets better and better! I love every single thing she has written and this book is no different. Charlotte and Payne are thrown together but, not by choice. They can't get along so they are forced together so they can prove they can actually work as a team. Their banter and heat sizzle and I loved the journey of their relationship. The story was highly entertaining and as per usual Toni fashion, had me glued to the pages and guessing what ...more
Marilyn Smugereski
Jun 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The only thing I hate about Toni Anderson's books is the fact that I can't put them down. This book was no exception. She does so well developing the characters. The stories are powerful and suspenseful. I finally finished at 2am! Can't wait for the next book. Thanks for another wonderful book that I couldn't put down.
Toni Anderson
May 27, 2020 added it  ·  (Review from the author)

As a highly skilled operative, HRT leader Payne Novak doesn’t have time to play detective or make nice with killers who flout the law. His focus is getting inside the compound and ending the siege as quickly as possible.

Forced to work together, the ba
Cindy
Jun 08, 2020 rated it really liked it
Along with great main characters the author also does such a great job of combining different groups together with large cast of characters that just adds to the greatness of the book.

This time its FBI negotiators and HRT (Hostage Rescue Team) that team up when a murder happens not far from compound on a remote mountainside and the compound shoots a Federal Wildlife Officer and goes on lock down.

HRT Tactical Commander Payne Novak and FBI Negotiation Commander Charlotte Blood and their teams ar
Georgie-who-is-Sarah-Drew
Competently written, with a strong female MC.

Couple of reservations. (view spoiler) And way too much plot is left till the last 20% of the book, leaving the middle rather slow. It's not helped by the changing PoVs.

Not awful, but I don't think I'll re-read.
Danielle  Gypsy Soul
4.5 Stars. The plot of this book intrigued me and I was hopeful that the book would live up to the description and it certainly did. I like opposites attract and a little bit of enemies to lovers and this book did both of those really well. Throw in a great suspense plot, plenty of action, some twists and turns and it makes for a great romantic suspense! I love Toni Anderson's heroines - they are strong, tough and yet don't go to far - they are still feminine. I didn't always agree with Charlott ...more
Robin Loves Reading
Far less sexy than the first two installments, but equally as tense, Cold Wicked Lies brings two FBI agents from different teams together on a dangerous case. Charlotte Blood is a Supervisory Special Agent and negotiator and Payne Novak is a Hostage Rescue Leader. The pair are facing a very dangerous situation when they are called to a mountainside. The drama begins when Payne comes upon the body of a young woman's body. Gathering clues is imperative. Not only might there be others in danger ...more
ZETTER
Blindsided!!!

FBI Negotiator Charlotte Blood was put in charge of the investigation of the murder of a young woman (Brenna) who was found murdered on a secluded mountainside. She found herself locking horns with the sexy, handsome and stubborn Hostage Rescue Team member, Payne Novak.

Payne Novak, leader of the HRT (Hostage Rescue Team) didn't had for any distractions. He just wanted to do his job as quietly as possible. A secret group was blamed for what happened to Brennaa. The sheriff department
Mari
Jun 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
I really enjoy Toni Anderson's rom suspense her Cold Justice series has always drawn me in. This one had a slow build up and a couple if twists. The bickering between SSA agents Charlotte Blood and Payne Novak was fiery. So much tension that lead to mutual attraction as the case went on. One thing I disliked was a secondary character that threw a wrench in well laid plans. A bit of stupidity without some thought.

As things are revealed and slowly coming to a close the action ramps up. This didn'
Yoshitha : BookJunkieJane
Jun 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Sizzling, slow-burn romance n jaw-dropping suspense.. Toni Anderson has mastered this genre n has perfected it to the hilt..

First off, Charlotte Blood n Payne Novak were damn good agents.. Smart, focused, making good calls n decisions n we're great leaders.. They made a hell of a team.. Stoking chemistry ripples off them, their back n forth banter was too good..

M always happy to see the presence of Cold Justice Agents like Steve Mackenzie.. The HRT team n the negotiators made for solid presence
Kari
Jun 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: for-review, kindle, 2020
Cold Wicked Lies is the third book in the Cold Justice: Crossfire series. It's the second one that I have read from this series. I have gone back and begun to read the series that this is a spin off from. This one is Charlotte and Payne's story. Romance wise, I loved this couple. I loved how they had to be joined at the hip essentially in order to figure out how to get along. Their banter was a lot of fun.

The suspense part was equally enjoyable. I liked the combination of the FBI trying to solv
Louise Dawn
May 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
An incredible read! Suspense, steamy romance and a rollercoaster of a ride. Opposites might just attract in this gripping page turner. Are Charlotte and Payne the perfect team?
Anne Parks
May 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Another edge of the seat thriller I have come to love with a Toni Anderson novel. This is no different. I loved the back-and-forth of the main characters, both tough-as-nails and seemingly unyielding of their positions. But all that starts to change once they are forced to stay together, and they learn they can give in and meet in the middle without compromising what they believe the correct course of action.
Sofia Lazaridou
Jun 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Cold Wicked Lies is the third stand-alone book in the Cold Justice: Crossfire by Toni Anderson. The main characters are HRT leader Payne Novak and FBI negotiator Charlotte Blood. Our two main characters join forces to find the killer of woman who was found dead in the forest.

In my humble opinion, this book is another winner. I don't think I have ever read a book by Toni Anderson that I didn't like. The story was captivating and I kept on reading because I needed to find all the answers to my qu
Becky
Jun 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Reviewed on my blog, Becky on Books, on 6/12/2020.

OMG, I freaking loved this book!

Cold Wicked Lies is the third book in Toni Anderson's Cold Justice: Crossfire series, a spin-off of her Cold Justice series, but if you've never read anything at all from any of them, it's not a problem--this one could work just fine as a standalone. It's always fun to encounter favorite series characters again, of course, but you don't have to know anyone in the universe before you start this one.

Maybe because eve
djc-
Jun 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Charlotte and Payne are two agents trying to defuse a volatile situation where a dangerous group people who are held up in a bunker. She is the negotiator and he is head of the rescue team. They start off butting heads and are not happy when ordered to work together to straighten out their differences. They both have strong personalities so things do not start out well but the more they work together that friction turns to attraction. It was entertaining to see how they each handled the chemistr ...more
Catlou
May 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love the kind of story where the last person you thought you’d be attracted to draws you in until you know you can’t let go. Throw in plenty of drama, suspenseful action, intrigue, and some pretty good surprises and you have the perfect romantic suspense. Charlotte and Payne may not be able to work together when it appears it’s only going to cause conflict. But based on the sparks they strike off each other there’s certainly chemistry there. When they’re forced to work and live side by side th ...more
Christine Jalili
Jun 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is such a fantastic book that kept me on edge. FBI Negotiator Charlotte Blood and HRT leader Payne Novak don’t really get along, but are forced to work closely together ( basically joined at the hips). The story was really crazy, and just when I figure it is the end, there’s another twist to the story. Loved how Charlotte and Payne slowly fall for each other and how quickly the scenes steam up once they kiss. But Payne messes up and I felt for them. Will he ever admit to loving her? Loved b ...more
Book Him Danno
Jun 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I started reading Toni Anderson years ago when I found her book series Her! I found this author has the ability to pull reader into her world that is dark and gritty with Hero and Heroins that will have readers cheer for. The story start off with a face pace and keep readers on the edge of their seats.

The romance slow burn until it will have reader blushing.

Toni Anderson has the ability to give romantic suspense readers what they are looking for. Action pack mystery with just the right amount
Ann
Jun 08, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arcs
OMGoodness!! What a fun fast-paced, edge-of-your-seat ride this was! Charlotte and Payne are both awesome, kick-butt characters. They're coming from opposite sides to an investigation but when they are made to work together, Charlotte and Payne realize they are better together.

Great romantic suspense with plenty of heat and heart between the main characters.

I received an advance copy of this book. My thoughts and opinions are my own and without bias or favor.
Darcy
So much of this one wasn't what it seemed. It was only as you read that you realized how crazy things were. By the end of the book I felt sorry for people I probably shouldn't have, was happy for a young couple, although I do wonder why they would choose to stay where they plan to and for the FBI couple. Well, I was meh... on them for most of the book, so glad they worked things out.
Ann
Page turning suspense with a side of romance. Just what I was looking for.
Carolyn
Jun 12, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: anderson-toni
Toni Anderson NEVER disappoints!
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Tainted Evidence (Evidence Series Book 10)
  • Hidden (The Texas Murder Files #1)
  • Aftermath of Secrets (Carter Island, #2)
  • Lethal Edge (Rifle Creek #1)
  • Hard Line (Cobra Elite, #5)
  • Broken Bonds (Crimson Point, #4.5)
  • Lethal Temptation (Rifle Creek #2)
  • Hard Edge (Cobra Elite, #4)
  • Winter Hawk (Evidence #9)
  • Say I Do (Wilde Ways, #10)
  • Chase After Me (Wilde Ways, #9)
  • Deadly Past (Verona Bay #2)
  • Step Into My Web (Death and Moonlight #1)
  • Running Scared (COBRA Securities #19)
  • Say No More (Romantic Suspense #24; Sacramento #2)
  • Inferno (Flashpoint #4)
  • Covert Evidence (Evidence, #5)
  • Smash and Grab (Callahan Security #2)
New release coming January, 2020!

Pre-order today! Put it on your "To Read" shelf!
GOODREADS

BLURB
When the daughter of the US Ambassador to Argentina is kidnapped in broad daylight on Christmas Eve, the FBI sends one of its best negotiators to investigate.

Supervisory Special Agent Max Hawthorne arrives at an embassy thrown into chaos as US and local law enforc

Cold Justice: Crossfire (3 books)
  • Cold & Deadly (Cold Justice: Crossfire, #1)
  • Colder Than Sin (Cold Justice: Crossfire, #2)