Start by marking “Purple Hearted Man” as Want to Read:
Purple Hearted Man

Purple Hearted Man

Purple has a difficult job: He was placed here to take down the One-Eyed God. It’s his mission and he won’t fail. It’s a lonely road for someone like him—a healer—but he has help. The hippies are his friends: Chloe the yogi, Wheat the candlestick maker, and Berrydream, who is in retail. And he has his tribe: Charlotte, Stranger and Jackson. Eventually, the tigers that roam ...more
Kindle Edition, 1, 182 pages
Published January 2nd 2020 by Undertow Press

To ask other readers questions about Purple Hearted Man, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Purple Hearted Man

Start your review of Purple Hearted Man
Jeffrey Keeten
”I was born into a mad world--not because of the alien invasion and government conspiracy, not because of the tigers that roamed the city, nor my confrontations with the false god in his temple; those things came later. I was born of the desert, birthed into swirling dust and sand that stung my newborn face. Shockwaves overwhelmed my system and loosened the bindings between molecules, nearly rendering me to dust before I had taken my first breath.”

A man named John went to war in the desert. An a
Danean
Oct 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Purple Hearted Man is a well written book that is a true page turner. This book most certainly will catch a reader's attention and remind us that homelessness is a current and important issue that needs to be noticed and not overlooked.

I hope next time we encounter a homeless person we remember Purple Hearted Man and say hi or good afternoon and not just look around them as if they are not there.
Byron
Mar 16, 2020 rated it liked it
*Thank you to netgalley and the author/publisher for a free ARC to review fairly and honestly.*

3.5✨

This book had me struggling with some of the abstract concepts and ideation, which was an interesting change. However, I felt it needed more polish, (maybe it was deliberate), but all in it was a worthwhile read. I think it will (and should), provide the reader with a different outlook regarding the poorest people in our communities.
It wasn't until I read the authors note at the end of the book th
Grady
Mar 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Community – a novel rich in insights

Colorado author Jack W. McDonald is an artist, both visual and literary. His significance in the literary world is only now being recognized – an author who combines an exceptional gift of storytelling with impressive insights to social problems and world concerns. It should be noted that at this time, Jack’s initial three novels - Agents Of The Undertow, Agents Of Hope and Agents Of Change – related the universe of Pan21 – a virus that decimated humanity! Pr
Paula
Oct 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I quickly recognized it would be a very hard task to find a novel comparable to Jack McDaniel’s new—and awesome—Purple Hearted Man. Only the classic 1970s protest film Oh Lucky Man! and the much-admired 1960s novels I Never Promised You a Rose Garden and One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest come approach McDaniel’s blending of deeply felt social protest, a protagonist whose viewpoint, though occasionally surreal, speaks to and for the reader, and gripping narrative momentum.

Both Purple Hearted Man an
Justin Sewall
Oct 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Purple Hearted Man by author Jack McDaniel is unlike any book I have ever read. Now this either makes it one of the most unique books ever written, or simply demonstrates my own narrow literary tastes. It’s probably a bit of both (full disclosure: I am currently narrating the audiobook.) Purple is a Healer, newly born into a mad world. His mission is to save those under the sway of the One-Eyed God. Tigers roam the city while he and his tribe do odd jobs to support themselves. Then there are the ...more
Mia Chiardo
Mar 25, 2020 rated it really liked it
“Purple Hearted Man” is a book written by Jack McDaniel, writer and artist. This book is not long; it has almost a hundred and fifty pages. The cover of the book is simple but called my attention as soon as I saw it, as well as the description.
Purple’s mission is to get down the One-Eyed God. He is a healer and he has the help of some hippie friends. My first impression is that this novel is unique; The telling, the plot, the characters are all well constructed and delivered in this book.
This is
Paul
Nov 25, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is pretty good. It will likely make readers think, and stick with them for a while. It describes at least one man's perspective on homelessness (along with other issues), and will add to your perceptions. Intelligently written. Recommended.

I really appreciate the copy for review!
Shawn Campbell
Nov 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A meticulous analogy of the human condition.

Like all of us, Purple is born in—and of—pain, defined by the confusion and severity of the world he finds himself in.

Even in the first chapter, sanity is questionable. Is Purple a healer or a killer?

That ambiguity builds an uncomfortable tension through out the story. One page, the author paints an image of a man's peacefully mundane morning routine. The next, we're inside a mad man's repetitive thoughts and ominous mantras.

As someone recently fam
Sayo
Oct 29, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2019
An interesting story of a soldier returning home with untreated PTSD.
Having suffered what seems to be a mental breakdown, he wages a war against the "One-Eyed God", calls himself a healer and carries all his possessions on his back.

'Purple' navigates life seemingly invisible in this crazily symbolic book. While short this is not a fast read. As we only see Purples side of the story, I found myself constantly trying to decipher what I was reading.

I would have loved in the final chapter to get a
John Dembiczak
Nov 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Purple has a calling and won’t allow anything to stop him. Fantastic challenges and adventures await him along the way. Don’t miss this intriguing read!
Brian Aird
Jun 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
We're All Free

Purple Hearted Man by Jack McDaniel is a thoroughly engaging read that is almost sure to stimulate the mind, emotions and conscience of the reader.

This splendid narrative follows the exploits of a young man by the name of John D. However, he is renamed by an attending nurse. Her name for him is the Purple Hearted Man. The names aptly fits because, as the main character explains, purple means independence and wisdom. His name is Purple and his purpose on earth is fulfilled by being
Sue
Dec 29, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received and ARC in exchange for an honest review,
The story of a man who returns from war with untreated PTSD and winds up homeless. It's written in an experimental stlye and thus unlike anything I've read. It was difficult to get an understanding of what was going on, but once I did the story was quite clever. The story is told from Purple's viewpoint only and the characters were never fully presented or evolved. I did find it to be a slow read and I really enjoyed the presentation.
John Bell
Sep 18, 2020 rated it did not like it
I just can’t finish it. Boring!
Jim
Aug 26, 2020 rated it did not like it
I don't agree.

I don't agree with the author's philosophy. Granted he's entitled to his opinions but, they seem socialist to me. That's not the America I
Support.
Mike
Mar 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
A fast paced, concise, philosophical novel examining difficult topics of our times. The author calmly, over 150 pages, invites us to examine the economic and political environment in which we live. Nearly anything I might say would be either misleading or a spoiler, so I invite all to read it, understanding the novel is a fun, 'thinking' journey through our current existence. Be prepared to be 'the fish' in the fishbowl with an external tiger explaining water.
Lucy Goodfellow
Nov 26, 2019 rated it it was ok
⭐⭐2 Stars

'The One-Eyed God is nefarious and powerful. His agents lurk everywhere and the aliens are certainly up to no good. Even the one called Sister can't be trusted.'

This was one of my most anticipated reads of the year and I was lucky enough to receive it as an ARC from the publishers. Unfortunately, I enjoyed the idea of this novel far more than I enjoyed the finished product.

The experimental writing style was an interesting way to portray mental illness and PTSD. The reader is still abl
Hebridean Reader
Purple is a Armed services vet suffering from PTSD and a psychotic break, but the system has failed him and so he is left to fend for himself.
But this is not reality according toPurple. From his point of view - from which this story is told - he was birthed by the Universe onto a battle field with the purpose of fighting the "one-eyed god" (money and capitalism) and showing people that the way forward is community and connection.
So begins a philosophical novel that looks at what is important and
Jack McDaniel
Nov 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Crazy, philosophical and thought-provoking

Yes, all of those.

Several reviews have asked about some of the things Purple imagines or what they might mean. He does suffer from PTSD and a psychotic break. You can learn more at this link:

Jamie Grecco

• The Probability Pad
  • The Butterfly Kid
  • Nathan's Run
  • The Perihelion: Complete Duology
  • The Amber Secret (The Relic Hunters #3)
  • Snakes and Ladders (Ziba MacKenzie, #3)
  • Carlucci's Heart
  • The Manor House Murder (Monica Noble #3)
  • A Pale Light in the Black (NeoG #1)
  • On the Corner of Hope and Main (Blessings, #10)
  • The Case of the Reincarnated Client (Vish Puri, #5)
  • Mystical Activism: Transforming a World in Crisis