Start by marking “Hold Back the Tide” as Want to Read:
Hold Back the Tide

Hold Back the Tide

Everyone knows what happened to Alva's mother, all those years ago. But when dark forces begin to stir in Ormscaula, Alva has to face a very different future - and question everything she thought she knew about her past...
Published March 5th 2020 by Scholastic Fiction

To ask other readers questions about Hold Back the Tide, please sign up.
BoMo Yes.
Given the last chapter I doubt that there will be another book. It’s a really good book. (less)

Start your review of Hold Back the Tide
Kai
Apr 13, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
Wilder Girls meets The Female of the Species in my first 4 star read of the year.

Why not 5 stars? It lacked gays.
C.G. Drews
This book really just softly held my hand, lead me to the edge of a cliff, and then shoved me straight on off. I am rattled to my bones and probably will weep softly into a shawl as I stand on the edge of the loch and wait to be devoured by monsters. Like how dare this book?? Also it was thoroughly excellent, captivating, unique and fresh and compelling, and also how dare it.

This is a story of monsters, both real and figurative.
I absolutely love monsters stories and cannot get enough of them. It
Lizzie Huxley-Jones
Okay hi, I’m not ok? You need to read this book. Ok ok I’m calm.

Hold Back the Tide is Melinda Salisbury’s newest book, released last week. When I read the first chapter I knew it was about a girl who lived with a murderer. What I did not expect was everything that followed.

Alva Douglas is planning to escape Ormscaula and the murderer she lives with, her father. But as she tries to leave, strange things start happening: screams in the night, shadows at the window, and girls going missing. And the
Kira Simion
Sep 07, 2019 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2020-to-read
First impressions: holy moly this is book cover goals. Who designed this? Thank you for creating this. My eyes are blessed!
Tana 🌻 Cozyreadings
03/05/2020

This was good! This is a vampire book, since the synopsis doesn't really make that clear!
I didn't like Alva as the main character, at ALL. She keeps being scared of her father, but if she had thought about it for 2 damn seconds, she must have known that her theories about him don't add up. (view spoiler)
Nastassja

The first thing one needs to know before starting this book is that it's one hell of a scary book! So if you are not into gory, horror stuff, I would advise withholding from reading it. On the other hand, Hold Back the Tide contains quite a lot of cliches from YA genre, such as special snowflakes and abs-pretty boys. But worry not, those were quite pleasant, though a little bit eye-rolling.

The plot of the book revolves around the small village (or town) Ormscaula. If I am not mistaken it's some

Kelsea
Apr 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4.5 stars! Oh. WOW.
Annette
Apr 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: bookbox-books
Something about Melinda Salisbury's writing style speaks to me. It's enchanting, atmospheric, it already gives stories a certain feel. So, when I saw her announcing this book I added it to the wishlist and when I discovered that this was the book in my Book Box Club, I couldn't be happier. Because, this means I get to talk to her about this book! How awesome is that?

And with this book she once again delivers. I'm gonna be honest here. For a long time I thought this was gonna be a four star read.
Bright Star
I was loving everything in this book and then... the last chapter happened. I didn't expect that ending and I hated it.

♛ Garima ♛
Mar 20, 2020 marked it as to-read
I think I am obsessed with this kind of book covers! Currently reading The deep...
jenny✨
“I would have chalked it up to folklore, or ignorance. Ancient people using monsters to explain what they couldn’t understand. Yet all the while the creatures were waiting. Biding their time.”

Hold Back the Tide was surprising in a really, really good way. this was quietly poignant, the dreams and fears of a girl, alva, spun out over village politics and monsters and lore. it’s also been a long time since i’ve been hooked by an opening line, but this one got me:

“Here are the rules of livin
Jenny (Bookbookowl)
Thank you so much to Scholastic Australia for sending me a copy of Hold Back the Tide, in exchange for an honest review!

Alva is living with her father, who she heard murder her mother years ago.  She is living her life by a set of rules she has created, out of fear that she will end up the same way.  Do not draw attention to yourself, If you can't be invisible, be useful and if you can't beat them, join them.  She has made herself as useful as possible - diligently checking and recording the lev
Kirsten Moody
I have mixed feelings about this book. I went into it expecting to have a rather tense atmosphere with Alva living with her Da that murdered her Mam except that's not what I got at all.
In my opinion Da was not portrayed in anyway as someone who had potentially murdered his own wife or would harm his child.
So the first 100 pages of Alva preparing to run away was very slow, and I wasnt engaged with her as a character and i couldnt tell where this book was going.
Then the plot twist happens half way
Beth, BooksNest
Apr 28, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Let's start off with one thing, the blurb of this book does not tell you what the book is about. So you are essentially going into Hold Back the Tide blind.  Now that's sorted - it is super hard to write this review without any spoilers, but this will be spoiler-free, but it will also be short.

Alva lives with her dad, a man she believes to be a murderer. She lives in constant fear of what he will do to her if she steps out of line and it is that fear that compels her to want to escape her small
Jessi (Novel Heartbeat)

4.5/5

Wow. I don't really know what I expected going in. I saw Cait's (@paperfury) review where she said "this book softly held my hand, lead me to the edge of a cliff, and then shoved me straight on off" and went and bought it instantly. I didn't even really know what genre it was - the synopsis is very vague, so I thought it was a contemporary pushing thriller with maybe some possible paranormal elements. What I got was NOTHING like what I expected!

And I think that made me enjoy it more! I
Valentine
After five consecutive reads that left me either mad or dying to feel something, a hero has finally risen. Hold Back The Tide, here's your time to shine.

I've finished this book last night, but I still can't wrap my head around it. Just thinking about it makes me want to scream incoherently for a few hours, but believe me when I say it's a good thing. As I just said, I went through several books that disappointed me a lot and I basically went into this one begging for it to be at the very least,
Becca
Apr 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
The ending of this book was unreal. So, so, so good and brave and wow it hurt.

The setting in Scotland was just gorgeous. I loved the glimpses of dialect. I could definitely imagine the village and the mountains, and the house where Alva and her father live. It really is a delight to read.

Alva has been trying really hard to please her father, to not irritate him, to make herself indispensable - all because she thinks he is a murderer. Their job is to monitor the loch that supports the village, i
Monogamist
Mar 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, signed-copy
I finished this book in two days and it took me longer to write a review. The reason for the delay is because the ending broke my heart into a thousand pieces. It has a great plot that opens up a discussion about the environment and how we humans are doing our worst when taking care of our planet. It also perfectly describes life and community of a very small town and how it can be mentally suffocating. I am usually not keen on reading horror stories, but I really really devoured this one.
Dreximgirl
Apr 03, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was brilliant. I very much enjoyed everything about this book, Melinda manages to create an incredible atmosphere and characters you become attached to very quickly. I cannot deny Mel broke my heart with this book, but I still love her. Damn woman.
Andi
Jul 04, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
this ruined me
Blue
Jun 11, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Want to see more...
Bookstagram

Website

Thank you Scholastic for this book in exchange for an honest review

Alright. So the first chapter is gripping as fuckk. I kid you not. The first chapter reached out and gripped my soul and I was fricken pumped to read this book. Honestly if you know a better opening chapter than let me know but until then, this one takes the cake and eats it too.
However, after the gripping first chapter I felt a little lost while I waited for the more gripping things to hap
Marjolein
May 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: already-bought
I'm still trying to recover from that book... It's a very intriguing tale with mythological elements against a Scottish background (which is a big plus for me), that is very well worked out and manages to immerse me completely in it. The characters work (even when I shouldn't have doubted that for one second with Melinda Salisbury as an author). I really loved the relations between them. And then the ending... I don't want to give away too much about it, because it's far better to just live it, ...more
Sophie Gabrielle
...Well that completely destroyed me. Don’t think I’ll ever be able to write a review without crying.
Nicole Sweeney
Apr 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Review originally posted on The Bibliophile Chronicles.

Hold Back the Tide follows the story of Alva, a young girl living in the remote Scottish highlands with her father. Her mother mysteriously disappeared and Alva knows her father is responsible. Whilst living day in and day out with the person she believes murdered her mother, she dreams of escaping to a new life. When dark forces begin preying on Ormscaula Alva has to do everything she can to help the town survive, and uncover some difficult
Beth Knight
Mar 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Mel's best book yet defies genre categorisation and will simply engulf you in its wild and beautiful scenery with its thrilling plot that grips from the very first line to the soul wrecking last.

You are not ready.
Jackie
Apr 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2020-reads, horror
NOOOOOOOOOO.

“Hold Back the Tide” is a gothic Scottish tale about the creatures who escaped from the loch and a girl desperate to escape her fate but when bodies start piling up she is determined to right the wrongs of her father only to learn that sometimes the cruelest punishment is the truth.

What was that ending?!?!

To start I had no idea this was a horror vampire story and for that I am grateful. From the first page I was completely entranced by this poor girl who had lived her life with a s
Nikki
Apr 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book blew me away.  Honestly, I should have expected it, because I love Mel's writing, but it still took me by surprise.  It is so understatedly gorgeous.  Every word feels purposeful.

Hold Back the Tide is set in a timeless remote highland town, and it is clear on every page. The sense of isolation, the sense of small-town mindset and the literal atmosphere of being on the loch is in every word. This is honestly so stunning, I can't accurately portray it.

While this is a fantasy / horror gen
Steph
Jan 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
JUST WHAT. This book was everything I wanted and hoped for from Mel: incredible characters, a spooky setting, wonderful writing and scary. I just went though every emotion... mainly being SCARED. This is a wonderfully atmospheric story set in the wilds of Scotland with an incredible main character and her murderer dad. There’s so much appearances can be deceiving moments here and I was here for all of them. Yes, I cried. I love Ren with all that I am.
Zili
I received Hold Back the Tide in the March 2020 edition of the Book Box Club subscription purchased myself. Views are my own!

What I say: Oh the drama! The book opens with a bold statement (you'll have to read it yourself to discover what it is) and takes us with Alva as she tries to escape the small town where she's looked upon with distain and suspicion. She is a Douglas after all!

There are twists galore in the story. Whenever I thought I'd figured out where Melinda Salisbury was taking the plo
Olivia Boddy
Aug 28, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I could not have chosen a better book to get out of a book slump. A mixture of beautiful Scottish folklore and eerie fantastical elements, this book takes you on an emotional journey. The beginning of the book is so intriguing and exciting, followed by a series of unbelievable suspense for it to end in the most saddening and most beautiful way imaginable.

Despite the ending making me ugly cry for a good 20 minutes, I think the ending is brilliant. This is the first book I have read by this autho
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Goodreads Librari...: Page Number Correction for 9781407180298 5 20 Mar 20, 2020 08:23PM

• The Body in the Library (Miss Marple, #3)
  • The Pure Heart
  • The Demon in the Wood (The Shadow and Bone Trilogy, #0.5)
  • The Amber Spyglass  (His Dark Materials, #3)
  • The Tailor (Grishaverse, #1.5)
  • The A.B.C. Murders (Hercule Poirot, #13)
  • The Noise of Time
  • Dear Life: A Doctor's Story of Love and Loss
  • Rachel's Holiday (Walsh Family, #2)
  • Seven Endless Forests
  • Good Girls Die First
  • The Short Knife
  • The Pieces of Ourselves
  • The Good Hawk
  • What Great Parents Do: 75 Proven Strategies for Raising Fantastic Kids
  • The History of Bees (Klimakvartetten, #1)
  • Someone Like You
  • Nineteen Minutes
Melinda Salisbury lives by the sea, somewhere in the south of England. As a child she genuinely thought Roald Dahl’s Matilda was her biography, in part helped by her grandfather often mistakenly calling her Matilda, and the local library having a pretty cavalier attitude to the books she borrowed. Sadly she never manifested telekinetic powers. She likes to travel, and have adventures. She also lik ...more