Start by marking “The Vanishing Moon” as Want to Read:
The Vanishing Moon

The Vanishing Moon

3.48  ·  Rating details ·  85 Ratings  ·  9 Reviews
"Joseph Coulson chronicles the American family with enormous intensity. His sense of history is vast, his sense of detail fine, Coulson is the ferryman to that America just beyond—tragic and wondrous."—John Reed

"In this powerful narrative, the voices of the characters draw the reader in at every stage. Coulson manages a wonderful what-next world, full of detail and event.
Published January 31st 2005 by Archipelago Books (first published January 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about The Vanishing Moon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Vanishing Moon

Liz
Jun 30, 2008 rated it liked it
I found this book to be really good...but really depressing.
Rusty
Sep 27, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sometimes I find a story that appeals to me but few others have issued comments about it. Such was Joseph Coulson's tale about the Tollman family. Living in Cleveland when the books opens, the reader sees them struggle during the Depression when they are so poor that one year is spent in a tent in the country. It was a difficult period as they experienced winter's cold and spring's merciless and drenching rains. However, the year was memorable for the two oldest boys who roamed and explored the ...more
Selena
Dec 02, 2012 rated it it was ok
I seem to be in the middle of an epidemic of finding books I can't stand and struggle to finish. I've never liked books without proper punctuation. I seem to be one of the few who disliked this book. Maybe because it comes on the heels of my having read A Teaspoon of Earth and Sea and other "difficult childhood" books, but I couldn't wait to get done with it.
Olivia
Apr 02, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: literature
One of the most beautiful works of prose I have ever read. Coulson's background as a poet is apparent in the lyrical sentences of his first novel. Told through three points of view, each narrator retains a distinct, sincere voice.
Bridget Salfen-price
Some of the characters in this story were just very disappointing. Also, I kept waiting for at least one character to be happy. Just very sad & depressing.
John
Oct 21, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mylibrary
Lucidly and impeccably rendered ... a poignant and beautifully layered story ... deft with marveling resonance, this debut novel abounds with life and wonder.
Mike Mik
Dec 23, 2010 rated it it was ok
too dark
Rose
Jun 14, 2010 rated it liked it
Multi-generational story of a family. Written with delicacy and respect, the love, motivations and pain of these brothers and their progeny will linger in your mind and heart.
Wiebke
Jan 21, 2009
Pavel Kravchenko
May 27, 2009
Valerie
rated it did not like it
Apr 01, 2009
Jessica
May 02, 2010
Sep 19, 2012
« previous 1 3 next »
Joseph Coulson (born 1957) is a novelist, poet, and playwright. His writing is notable for its lyricism and its blending of American history and social criticism. Also an educator, Coulson was named president of the Great Books Foundation in 2014.
Coulson’s first novel, The Vanishing Moon (Archipelago Books, 2004), was a Barnes & Noble Great New Writers selection, and it won the Book of the Yea
More about Joseph Coulson...