Start by marking “Man and Dog: Through the Newfoundland Wilderness” as Want to Read:
Man and Dog: Through the Newfoundland Wilderness

Man and Dog: Through the Newfoundland Wilderness

One man, one dog, a grand adventure across the Newfoundland wilderness.

In April 2017, Justin Barbour and his Cape Shore water dog, Saku, arrived in Robinsons, on the Rock’s west coast, where they began a quest to experience the province’s woods and waters first-hand. A late winter lingers as they push over the Long Range Mountains to the interior of the island, where they
Published October 2nd 2019 by Flanker Press

To ask other readers questions about Man and Dog, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Man and Dog

Start your review of Man and Dog: Through the Newfoundland Wilderness
Marth
Jan 12, 2020 rated it really liked it
When I think of my favourite books, I can say that outdoor adventure stories aren't a genre I usually gravitate towards. I think that 'Man and Dog: Through the Newfoundland Wilderness' might have changed that for me. Both an exciting story about travelling across Newfoundland by foot and raft, as well as a look at the background and supplies required to make it happen, this book opened up my eyes to outdoor exploration. While I don't think I'll be embarking on a 70 day hike anytime soon, Justin ...more
Natasha
Nov 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book tells a very exciting story. It is a very detailed and informative book about Justin and Saku’s journey across Newfoundland. It really is an incredible journey and when reading this book it gives you an idea of what it really was like to take part in such an amazing adventure that so few people will ever get to experience. Very well written. Once you start reading it, it’s hard to put it down. It’s refreshing to read a book about Newfoundland adventure because you don’t see that kind o ...more
Richard Scarponi
Nov 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A great read! Dive into a wilderness adventure with Justin and his faithful companion Saku as they navigate the wilds of interior Newfoundland. Enjoy the day to day of a epic expedition that many dream about. Live the joys and the pains of this 700km journey, getting to know Justin and why this undertaking was so important to him. From the first page you feel like you’re in the bush along side them. A must read for all wilderness enthusiasts and adventure seekers.
Germaine Payne
I am totally amazed at the ambitious and daring journey Justin took part in and give him all the credit he deserves. He writes with a passion for the Newfoundland and Labrador wild that is contagious and would turn any nature hater into a lover. I found the book a bit dry but that may be because I was expecting more of a story and less of a summary of the day to day activities.
Michael Dalton
Jan 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
An unreal story of true friendship and the great adventurous wilderness of our home Newfoundland. Would recommend this to everyone!
Chris
Feb 20, 2021 rated it liked it
I heard about this book while watching Shawn James (My Self Reliance) You Tube channel - I believe Justin Barbour had sent a copy of the book to Shawn.

To be honest, there are much better outdoor books out there. I'm surprised GoodReads gives it 4.5 stars. Having said that, if you consider this is the authors first book there is lots to enjoy and make it a worthwhile read.

I really enjoyed the descriptions of the Newfoundland wilderness and the trout fishing Justin describes. I would have liked t
chelsey buggie
Mar 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I’ve followed Justin’s adventures for quite some time and his book did not disappoint. To me, it was reminiscent of Into the Wild (but if it were told from the perspective of McCandless). Justin pushes his body and mind to the limit combatting some of North America’s toughest and untouched terrain. His prose is as if he is sitting with you at the fire, weaving tales of his journey. You feel every triumph along with him. Would highly recommend for any outdoor enthusiast.
Mark
Apr 13, 2020 added it
This book was a great read. I couldn't put it down. Justin took us on a great adventure and made me feel like I was right there with him through the whole journey. Hope he continues to write about his adventures. I would buy them. Thanks, Mark ...more
Jessica O'Brien
Jun 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Amazing read! It hooked me. Now all I want to do is discover more of Newfoundland’s interior! I loved every minute of it.
Shelley
Jul 30, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great Canadian adventure.

I faithfully watch Justin’s YouTube channel and enjoy his adventures. He has a remarkable spirit and attitude and his best friend Zaku is adorable.
Ed Wight
Feb 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Great book from start to finish, I was locked in for the 68 days. Very detailed account of the experience. You can see the research, preparation & training that went into the trip, but very humble in the learnings along the way. Much more to me then a hike across the province, it’s reaching a goal & the whole relationship between Justin & Saku, 2 dedicated teammates. I knew the book was well written but i watched the YouTube videos immediately after. Having the background to the story from the b ...more
Rowena
Feb 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Man and Dog is a fantastic modern day adventure story. Justin Barbour is an ordinary person who did an extraordinary thing; walk across the island of Newfoundland through the challenges and beauty of the rugged wilderness. If you are not already a nature lover, you will fall in love with the land and all it offers the reader as Justin wonderfully recounts his adventures with his beloved dog, Saku. I recommend this book highly. Five stars!
Keith Wheaton
Feb 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic book! Once you start reading it you will not want to put it down ! Justin’s passion for the outdoors combined with the way he connects natures way with strong mental health is fantastic. While reading the book the chapters are medicine for the soul . Thanks Justin for taking me along with you on this adventure !
Janet N
I loved it, even though i have watched all of the videos, the book is still very good to read, holds your attention, i will be watching for more books and videos,, keep them coming Justin .
Cameron Smith
Feb 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Loved the book, it was such a great adventure and Justin told it beautifully.
Lester Hennebury Jr.
Feb 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Amazing book...Justin you have a great way of keeping us interested
Marion Blandford
Feb 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A very well written book, you feel that you are in the moment with him, not much left to the imagination. Makes you want to get out there in the wild with him.
Russell Berrouard
Jan 26, 2020 rated it really liked it
A great adventure read.
A good read for anyone interested in experiencing the wilderness.
Taylor Jackson
Jan 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book is amazing I enjoyed every page !. As a active outdoorsmen I found that this book was written spot on it was difficult to lay down. Justin and Saku are a great team I look forward to see the YouTube channel as well great job well done
Pat Sweet
Jan 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Man and Dog is such a unique book, it entertains as well as educates. Having watched Justin’s YouTube series chronicling this trip I thought his book might not be for me. I was wrong, and so happy to be wrong! The authors style helps the reader understand what they experienced traveling across Newfoundland while roughing it. Thanks to Justin and Saku for sharing their trip with an avid reader and a fan.
Ryan Flynn
Nov 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Justin and Saku are an indestructible force on this 700km backcountry expedition. From the highs to the lows Justin leads us through some of the most rugged country this land has to offer. From winter conditions in the Long Range Mountains to mystical mornings on the interior lakes, Justin and Saku take it head on. Superbly written to keep the pages flipping!
Keith Cormier
Jan 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Have ever had a boil up by the side of a brook. Have you ever wondered what was over the next hill or across the pond in front of you. Have you ever caught trout & cooked them on the spot. Woke up in a tent with the rain making music on the tarp, flushed a grouse or spooked a moose, this book is for you. Thank you Justin Barbour for this book. Great read.
Garry White
Jan 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Justin’s accounts of his wilderness journey took this “non reader” to places I never thought possible. The emotional highs and lows put me in the middle of the action with him and Saku. I trust that even the non adventurer like myself will be engulfed from start to finish. A MUST read!!
Brian Mullins
Nov 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Justin really makes you feel as though your right there along him and Saku the entire trip. A real page turner, couldn't put it down until I had it finished. I recommend to anyone who loves a good book on the outdoors or wilderness travel. ...more
Troy Bullock
Nov 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
About halfway through this book and I have a hard time putting it down. Amazing adventure told with great detail. Just a great book for anyone who enjoys the great outdoors ! 5 stars !
Katelyn Howell
Nov 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
More than your average book, this book is great! it follows a journey along with pictures,lists of equipment,newfoundland history and much more! 10/10 recommend
Wanda Clarke
Nov 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is truly amazing, very hard to put down once I started! Now watching the series on YouTube!
Chad Oldford
Nov 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Great book! It is a very interesting, well written story. Keep it up Justin!
Heather Oakley

• Small Game Hunting at the Local Coward Gun Club
  • Beyond the Trees: A Journey Alone Across Canada's Arctic
  • The Woman in the Attic
  • The Sign on My Father's House
  • Awaken the Giant Within: How to Take Immediate Control of Your Mental, Emotional, Physical and Financial Destiny!
  • Alone Against the North: An Expedition into the Unknown
  • Steve Jobs
  • Two for the Tablelands (Sebastian Synard Mysteries #2)
  • The Splendid and the Vile: A Saga of Churchill, Family, and Defiance During the Blitz
  • The Rise of Theodore Roosevelt
  • Stillness Is the Key
  • Sh*t My Dad Says
  • The Magic of Thinking Big
  • The Obstacle Is the Way: The Timeless Art of Turning Trials into Triumph
Justin Barbour was born in St. John’s, Newfoundland, and grew up in the rural community of Bauline until his early teens. His family then moved to St. John’s, where he went to school and played hockey competitively until moving away to Miramichi, New Brunswick, to suit up in the Maritime Junior A League for four years.

Upon returning to Newfoundland, Justin completed a Bachelor of Physical Educatio

News & Interviews