Start by marking “The Stone Pilot” as Want to Read:
The Stone Pilot

The Stone Pilot

(The Edge Chronicles (chronological))

High above the Edgeworld, their woodspider-silk sails billowing, great sky ships speed through the air, each with a skilled stone pilot to control the flight-rock that gives the ship its buoyancy. None of these pilots is as skillful as the legendary stone pilot of the sky ship Galerider - but where did this mysterious figure come from and what lies beneath the heavy hood?
Published March 2nd 2006 by Corgi Childrens (first published January 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about The Stone Pilot, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Stone Pilot

Start your review of The Stone Pilot
Andrew
Aug 13, 2015 rated it liked it
I know this was only a quick read but when you have a few minutes to spare and the book you are reading is in another room what are you to do? In my case randomly grab another book and read that instead and low this is the result.

Its part of the Edge Chronicles and as such really acts as a side story to the main events in the chronicles - dont get me wrong the characters are just as important and the events all fit together - but for an 80 page book to act as an introduction for the World Book D
Sanja_Sanjalica
Jun 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
In line with the best Edge Chronicles books, only, too short, but this couldn't be helped. Love the series, even these short snippets. ...more
Zac Young
From the content and imagery, I think the Edge Chronicle series are a marmite type of book. The female protagonist experiences vast amounts of emotional change in a short book. Designed for UKS2. Would be a good book to introduce children to the edge chronicles and the fantasy genre.
Paperback
Mar 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Heart-wrenching
Elizabeth Rigby
Mar 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: edge-chronicles
Although this book is very short it is one of the best books The Edge Chronicles.
Lili H
Oct 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Reading this again has triggered so much nostalgia from when I was younger... The story of Maugin is what I consider the strongest and most poignant out of all the Edge Chronicles. This is especially impressive considering the length of the book, but managing to pack an incredibly emotive and believable character ark within its pages. Termagent trogs, next to Banderbears, are definitely my favourite creatures from the Edge.
Leonie
Jul 12, 2014 rated it really liked it
This was a decent little excerpt from a children's fantasy novel. A young girl fails to complete a ceremony seeing her into the fantasy version of adulthood, gets sold into slavery and rescued from it again all in a matter of moments, going on to become a stone pilot.

Thus was a £1 giveaway book sold for Book Week one year a while back. It's not the sort of thing if usually pick up but I would definitely read the big book it came from if I came across a copy.
Simon
Aug 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sf-fantasy
Short but intriguing introduction to the Edge world and one of the (presumably) minor characters. Full of invention and excitement, although Stewart sometimes stuffs the descriptions with a few too many made up names for my liking. Makes me want to read the rest of the series, and I'm sure my kids will love them. ...more
Ellen
Sep 25, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I can't believe that I discovered this little jewel of a book in my cereal box.I love it cause it introduced me to the Edge Chronicles and one of my favourite characters in the series, Maugin. And if you've already read all the books, I definitely recommend this if you want to learn more about the Stone Pilot. ...more
ChattyNatty
Mar 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
I loved this book and really enjoyed it.
I was doubtful when ten pages before the end Maugin JUST got on the ship and I was interested in how they were going to wrap it up in ten pages!!!!
My favourite character was Maugin a Termagant Trog how never turned termagant.
Sally
Jan 30, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I cannot belive I found this in a little charity shop (one of the best Charity shops to find an amazing but odd book for 30p/50p)I can not wait to read it it looks soo cute.

A cute quick read I loved finding out abot the stone pilot.
Lew
Jun 03, 2016
Luke Kershaw
Mar 06, 2014
Adam Rowe
rated it did not like it
Jan 21, 2016
Finn
Sep 20, 2020

• Doctor Who: The Day She Saved the Doctor: Four Stories from the TARDIS
  • The Room Where It Happened: A White House Memoir
  • Good Night, Mr. Tom
  • The Spider Network: The Wild Story of a Math Genius, a Gang of Backstabbing Bankers, and One of the Greatest Scams in Financial History
  • The Warren Buffett Way: Investment Strategies of the World's Greatest Investor
  • Solve for Happy: Engineer Your Path to Joy
  • Only Mostly Devastated
  • Her Final Words
  • Skulduggery Pleasant (Skulduggery Pleasant, #1)
  • Paper Girls, Vol. 6
  • AI Superpowers: China, Silicon Valley, and the New World Order
  • The Fell Sword (The Traitor Son Cycle, #2)
  • Floating, Brilliant, Gone
  • My Name is Why
  • Terra: The Terra Trilogy Book One
  • Beyond the Storm
  • My Sweet Revenge
  • The Constant Rabbit
Paul Stewart is a highly regarded author of books for young readers – from picture books to football stories, fantasy and horror. Together with Chris Riddell he is co-creator of the bestselling Edge Chronicles, which has sold more than three million copies and is available in over twenty languages. They have also collaborated together on lots of other exciting books for children of all ages. The F ...more

The Edge Chronicles (chronological) (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • The Curse of the Gloamglozer (The Edge Chronicles: The Quint Saga #1; The Edge Chronicles #1)
  • The Edge Chronicles 2: The Winter Knights: Second Book of Quint
  • Clash of the Sky Galleons (The Edge Chronicles: The Quint Saga #3; The Edge Chronicles #3)
  • Beyond the Deepwoods  (The Edge Chronicles: The Twig Saga #1)
  • Stormchaser (The Edge Chronicles: The Twig Saga #2; The Edge Chronicles #5)
  • The Edge Chronicles 6: Midnight Over Sanctaphrax: Third Book of Twig
  • The Edge Chronicles 7: The Last of the Sky Pirates: First Book of Rook
  • The Edge Chronicles 8: Vox: Second Book of Rook
  • Freeglader (Edge Chronicles, #7)
  • The Edge Chronicles 10: The Immortals: The Book of Nate