Start by marking “An Unauthorised Fan Treatise” as Want to Read:
An Unauthorised Fan Treatise

An Unauthorised Fan Treatise

An Unauthorised Fan Treatise (on the nature of the relationship between actors Rob Hennings and Nathan O’Donnell on TV show Loch & Ness, by @gottiewrites)

Gottie is a fangirl for Loch & Ness, a TV show about paranormal detectives. She’s convinced that two of the male actors are secretly dating, and she’ll stop at nothing to prove it. When her online investigations accidenta
Published October 14th 2019 by http://gottiewrites.wordpress.com

To ask other readers questions about An Unauthorised Fan Treatise, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about An Unauthorised Fan Treatise

Start your review of An Unauthorised Fan Treatise
Alice Oseman
Oct 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This story is being serialised on https://gottiewrites.wordpress.com/
If you've ever been interested in fandom conspiracies and wild online drama such as Caroline Calloway, MsScribe, One Direction's Babygate, the Lorde powerpoint, the Kaylor drama, or Cassandra Clare's LiveJournal days - you are going to LOVE this story.
Lauren James
It is complete! You can read the entire novel at: https://gottiewrites.wordpress.com/

I answer your questions about the project on Youtube at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjNE2...

Obsessed with Caroline Calloway? Remember MsScribe, One Direction’s Babygate, the Lorde powerpoint, the Kaylor drama, or Cassandra Clare’s LiveJournal days? Still miss the Serial podcast? If so, this is the story for you. I’ve channelled my lifetime obsession with weird internet conspiracy theories into creating the u
Elle (ellexamines)
Apr 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
UPDATE from four hours later: the Msscribe story literally wishes it had this amount of power. Caroline Calloway could never. the amount of gasping i did in this.... the amount of nostalgia....... hoof

You can read this here. This is a novel formatted like a fan conspiracy and it is so much fun. When Lauren James started leaning more and more into the thriller genre with her writing that was frankly an excellent decision on her part because oh BOY am I enjoying this.
Emer (A Little Haze)
Oct 14, 2019 marked it as to-read
Shelves: young-adult
The awesome Lauren James is publishing an online based novel by releasing a chapter every Monday until March 2020.
The prologue is out now and can be accessed at: https://gottiewrites.wordpress.com/

Ellie (faerieontheshelf)
May 13, 2020 marked it as to-read
the level of creativity and inventiveness you have to have to create a mock-up fandom conspiracy theory treatise like this . . . I am delighted
Nova Syzygy
Oct 15, 2019 marked it as to-read
*GASP*

Loch and Ness???????
This is that same show the main character from The Loneliest Girl in the Universe was always talking about!!!!

I know I’ll love this and the amount of detail it’ll add to TLGitU.
Lulu (the library leopard)
Reading this as it updated weekly was GENUINELY one of the wildest reading experiences I've ever had and I can't recommend it enough.
Sara
Apr 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Brilliant. Innovative, engaging and insightful. I hope it gets the huge audience it deserves.
Kirra
Oct 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
As this is an updating story released online here I'll be updating my review as I read further into the story.

Prologue: So far the prologue is hilarious, interesting and just like a forum or tumblr page for any fandom I was a part of when I was in high school. I love Gottie so far, she's sharp and completely obsessed like me and my obsessions which I can totally relate to. I also loved The Loneliest Girl in the Universe so much, I devoured that book in two hours, so I'm so excited to hear about
Lizzie Huxley-Jones
Jan 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I'm truly obsessed with this serialised unfolding murder mystery set within a fandom.

Fangirl Gottie starts investigating queerbaiting in (and around) her favourite tv show Loch & Ness, a show about paranormal detectives. Are the two main guys dating? Or is the PR just spinning it that way to get more people to watch... Gottie is a perfect example of the unreliable narrator done well, and I'm hooked.

If you love those weird powerpoints about Taylor Swift and Lorde, if you found yourself wonderin
Emily
This serialized online fandom thriller could be interesting? I do love me some fandom drama, à la Ms. Scribe, Cassie Clare's LJ days, etc., and the use of mixed media storytelling (blog entries, digital news articles, Tweets) is intriguing. New chapters posted every Monday through March 2020. ...more
Lila Reads
Oct 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Love everything about it and can't wait to read more!
Jaime
Lauren James is a genius. If you haven't heard about An Unauthorised Fan Treatise, it's a serialised story currently online that's inspired by a lot of the MsScribe-esque fandom conspiracy theories/scandals. It follows a blogger as she begins to investigate whether the two male leads on her favourite TV show are secretly in a relationship, but this quickly leads her to discover things she maybe shouldn't.

This story is amazing. It's fascinating to read, especially if you've ever been in a fandom
Judy
Shelves: english
Absolutely bonkers. Bananas.

I read the Msscribe and Cassandra Clare plagiarism things many many years ago and was absolutely fascinated by the whackiness and time and effort and research that went into those things - so this was really up my alley.

An Unauthorised Fan Treatise is chock-full of fake identities, anonymous comments, lies, unrealiable narration, murder, and of course a batshit (fictional) fandom. Who are these people? What is real? What is life? The internet truly is a wild place.

T
Jamie-Lee Turner
May 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: furloughedreads
Mind-blown.

So gripping. Much mystery. Even after a second reading!

What's real? What's fiction? Who's telling the truth? Who isn't? This has everything I loved about a good internet/fandom conspiracy and I'm now going to fall down a rabbit hole of some of my favourites. (The Cassandra Claire Plagiarism Debacle, anyone?)

I honestly have no idea how Lauren put all this together, my mind is unravelling itself just trying to think about it.

p.s Gief us a Loch and Ness book immediately.
Alina
May 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
So I’m not into thrillers or mysteries and I’m not into true crime, which this resembles, but this hit some nerve that made me absolutely love it. I was hooked. I finished this alone last night and was barely able to sleep both because I was still too wired up as well as terrified. Amazing. Also, I love the whole fandom culture aspect and it was terrificly written.
Pia
May 12, 2020 rated it really liked it
phew! a wild ride from start to finish! this was so well done and if you’ve ever been part of a fandom and/or read fans’ crazy conspiracy theories, it’ll probably feel very familiar in the beginning. and then the murder mystery part really takes off 🤯
Amy
May 28, 2020 added it
This was so good! This definitely cements Lauren James as one of my favourite authors but I do kind of feel bad reading this all in one day. I can't imagine the amount of work that goes into making such a complex story like that but Lauren James smashed it out of the park. I also noticed loads of references to people in the bookish community which was so great to see. Definitely recommend!
Charlie
Apr 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Lauren is a genius and this was the messy fandom hijinks love letter I never knew I needed.
Emma Yoloswag
May 11, 2020 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Emma by: Elise (TheBookishActress)'s review
There is no other way to say it: this was WILD.
Julia
Shelves: favorites
What a ride! Mondays won't be the same without updates to look forward to
Dana
Shelves: 2020
this was such a wild ride I LOVED it
Bethany
May 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Completely addictive and highly recommended, especially for anyone who is familiar with online fandom. I read the whole thing in one sitting.
lauren ♡
I AM SCREAMING!!!!!!!!
Mona
Sep 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
whoa 👁️o👁️
Taylor
Apr 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I flipping loved this, brought me back to my early days of reddit sleuthing before all conspiracy theories and such were taken over by the right wing nuts.
Chefs kiss ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
J Bellomy
Nov 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: underhyped
Frankly I wish I'd controlled myself enough to experience the classic obsessive-binging-on-weird-internet-conspiracy time like I did with "A Scar No One Else Can See" (as problematic as that ~essay~ was, and as terrible as its creator is) and so many other Niche Internet Narratives, but it's GOOD and I can't help myself. Every time Lauren posts an update, I click so fast. There are SO MANY LAYERS and it's so well-observed and it makes me feel both seen and called out and also, most importantly, ...more
jam
this is so engaging omg i can't wait to see how it pans out
update: amazing!!!! i really hope this gets traditionally published!
pauline
tHe CoNcEpT!1!!!1!!!11!1!!!!
no but seriously this is one of the greatest things ive read this year and im in love with it
Marina
Feb 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2020
I've read the first 18 chapters and I AM OBSESSED. I am LIVING & LOVING it.

Edit on April 26: It's over, all the chapters have been published and maintain my opinion <3
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Loveless
  • Drive Your Plow Over the Bones of the Dead
  • Siege and Storm (The Shadow and Bone Trilogy, #2)
  • My Brother's Husband, Volume 1
  • The Fury (The Vampire Diaries, #3)
  • Ruin and Rising (The Shadow and Bone Trilogy, #3)
  • The Jelly-Bean
  • The Hand on the Wall (Truly Devious, #3)
  • The Deal (Off-Campus, #1)
  • We Met in December
  • Daisy Miller
  • The Story of an Hour
  • Beautiful Boss (Beautiful Bastard, #4.5)
  • The Awakening
  • Rebel (Legend, #4)
  • 10 Blind Dates
  • Before I Let Go
  • A Boy Called Christmas (Christmas, #1)
**I don't respond to messages on here - send an ask on Tumblr instead***
Lauren James is the twice Carnegie-nominated British author of many Young Adult novels, including The Reckless Afterlife of Harriet Stoker, The Loneliest Girl in the Universe and The Quiet at the End of the World. She is also a Creative Writing lecturer, freelance editor and screenwriter. Her books have sold over a hundred tho