Start by marking “My Summer of Love and Misfortune” as Want to Read:
My Summer of Love and Misfortune

My Summer of Love and Misfortune

A novel about a Chinese-American teen who is thrust into the world of Beijing high society when she is sent away to spend the summer in China.

Iris Wang is having a bit of a rough start to her summer. In an attempt to snap her out of her funk, Iris’s parents send her away to visit family in Beijing, with the hopes that Iris will “reconnect with her culture” and “find hersel
Published June 2nd 2020 by Simon Pulse

To ask other readers questions about My Summer of Love and Misfortune, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about My Summer of Love and Misfortune

Start your review of My Summer of Love and Misfortune
Shealea
May 29, 2020 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Before anything else: I truly believe that I deserve to be awarded for finishing this book, despite the damages inflicted on my mental well-being. Someday, I will press charges. But, for now, here's my preliminary review of My Summer of Lost Brain Cells and Misfortune:

Iris Wang is a walking, breathing, and (unfortunately) talking oxymoron (emphasis necessary). I have never encountered a character so self-absorbed but also so irritatingly oblivious to her own faults, personality, and (lack of) in
San
May 05, 2020 rated it it was ok
I really wanted to like this book. After reading description and also looking at cover I thought this book would be something that will cheer me up. Unfortunately because of the main character it wasn't a case. Iris was just so annoying and self-center and acting so immature.
The writing however was good so I hope i will have a chance to read some other books written by this author because I believe that with better characters they could be really something enjoyable.

Emma
May 06, 2020 rated it did not like it

1.5/5 Stars

Full review HERE

It's really hard for me to try and say something nice about Iris, the main character of this story. I think she's one of the most annoying characters I've ever read about. Not only that, but she's also very self-absorbed, shallow and careless. Since the book is totally narrated from her point of view, you can easily understand why I didn't enjoy this novel. I think this
Tiffany (Read By Tiffany)
I always try to give a book a fair shot and power through until the end, but oh my goodness…THIS BOOK WAS B A D. 🤧

Starring a self-absorbed main character and filled with elementary writing, My Summer of Love and Misfortune was, unfortunately, a cringe-fest. When I started this book, I thought it would be my next love, but unfortunately, I had to DNF the book at the 20% mark, or 70 pages.

My Summer of Love and Misfortune follows the life of Iris Wang, a high school senior whose life is filled wit
Kimberly (Deity of Books)
This is the worst book I have ever read.

I really had high hopes for this book since the main character is an ABC, American Born Chinese (Asian Rep!), but the plot and characters were very boring and bland.

Iris Wang, our main character, is Annoying, Spoiled, Egotistical, and Narcissistic. She is a failure in her parents' eyes (well, and others). She spends her time shopping, drinking, and partying. She knows basically nothing about her heritage. She is in her senior year of high school and faili
Yna the Mood Reader
Sep 20, 2020 rated it did not like it
Much thanks to Netgalley and Rockstar Book Tours for this complimentary copy. This review is voluntary and opinions are fully my own. Also, all quotes are taken from the ARC and may be different in the final published copy.

📚 Series? No.
📚 Genre? YA Contemporary Fiction
📚 Booktube Feature? I talked about this book in my September Wrap Up Video

#NetgalleyNovember
#30DayReviewChallenge Day 5

I Want To Award Myself 5 Stars For Trying

I can't believe I'm saying this again after my last review..
My Summer of Love and Misfortune is a Young Adult contemporary novel.

I really loved the idea of this book. Iris Wang is a Chinese American teen who cannot speak the language and gets thrust into high society Beijing.

The book is supposed to be funny. The only problem is that the heroine, Iris (17) is a spoiled brat. She is completely selfish and it's completely impossible to relate to her lack of awareness.

This is a hard book to rate. Because the last third was really strong. The book definitely
Ms. Woc Reader
May 06, 2020 rated it did not like it
Ugh, this book was a mess!

You know when you see a cover that gives you hope that it will be the cutest book ever? Not only was this book bland and boring but the romance was barely existent. There just wasn't enough chemistry or interaction for her to act like it was the end of the world at the end.

Iris Wang is the most obnoxious lead I've read in a YA book in some time. She acted like a self centered 13 yr old versus a girl on the cusp of college. She really cared about no one but herself and
Danielle (Life of a Literary Nerd)
DNF @ 33%

I kept pushing myself to read this and it was still so hard to do, and I'm really sad about it because I thought this would be my summer book.

The story is over-the-top and outlandish, which I'm okay with, but Iris is so incredibly unlikeable that it was hard to be in her perspective. She is completely out of touch with reality and is easily one of the most self absorbed characters I've ever encountered. There was no reason to get behind her or want to see her potential growth, because
Sophia (Bookwyrming Thoughts)
The author/publisher provided a free copy of the book for review purposes - thank you! Receiving a review copy does not guarantee a positive review and therefore do not affect the opinion or content of the review. My reaction while surviving the 18% of My Summer of Love and Misfortune that I read can be summarized in one GIF:
lol bts laughing

The book is that bad, friends. I think at a certain point I started viewing the book from a comedic standpoint just to make things feel a little better for me personally,
Maureen
Jan 01, 2021 marked it as dnf-did-not-finish
DNF at 150 pages because HOO BOY i did not like this book and that was just my breaking point.
Brooke — brooklynnnnereads
What a WILD ride with this novel!

Due to the main character and her behaviour, it really impacted how I felt about the overall story. I really had a difficult time getting through the first half to three quarters of this novel. However, eventually, the main character's behaviours seemed to change and I had some real hope and was enjoying/anticipating the story's conclusion.

Well.

I have to be extremely vague here to avoid spoilers but.....I understand the message that the author was trying to del
Paloma
Review in English | Reseña en Español

I would say “don’t bother” with this book but then I realized I just managed to finish it, so there must be something about it right? Well, I think the only redeeming quality of this book is that it is fast-paced and therefore, though it is painful to read, the pain passes quickly.

Iris is a Chinese-American girl who is a mess –she doesn’t care about school, nor life, nor her future. She’s there for shopping and having fun, which makes her be in constant confl
Kate R
Feb 07, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: arcs, did-not-finish
Well, I thought this one would be right up my alley. The blurb literally mentions two of my favorite books. But, unfortunately, I could not finish this one. I have to say the writing was good, the setting was awesome and the descriptions were very detailed, but the main character was awful, just absolutely horrible. Ultimately, I could not get past her ridiculous ways and I did not finish. However, I will read other books the author writes because like I said this was just a character that I str ...more
delph ✨
Apr 15, 2020 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Full review on my blog.

An e-ARC was provided by the publisher through NetGalley in exchange of an honest review. This does not effect my opinion in any way.

When Iris Wang failed her senior year in top of destroying the garage door after backing up her dad’s car in it, she’s sent to Beijing by her parents in the hope that she’ll mature.

Honestly, I tried. I was so excited for this book because I’ve always loved books with teenagers sent to another countries to discover and reconnect with their cul
Alice
Oct 13, 2018 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
The summary is so relatable - I’m super glad there’s an own voices take on this because I feel like there aren’t enough As-Am stories where the main character doesn’t get have a successful college application season.
Jenny
May 24, 2020 rated it did not like it
Shelves: dnf
I received a copy of this book from the publisher theough NetGalley, in exchange for an honest review.

1 ⭐️
DNF at 46%

If this is how Lindsay Wong sees teenagers, she should stop writing about them right now. Or at least, she should spend a few years around them before ever trying to write another YA novel.

This book is terrible. There’s no other way to put this. I tried and tried to keep reading in the hopes that Iris would eventually grow a brain, but she never does. She’s the epitome of spoiled s
Giselle
I got about 150+ pages into this one and couldn’t go any further. This character is just too ridiculous. Maybe she was supposed to be this way on purpose but I can’t imagine a more annoying character. No wait.. I can.. Anastasia Steele from FSoG fame. Not only does she not care about the people around her, she deflects and runs away from all her problems. I thought that she would change when she went to China but she is still the spoiled little brat from the beginning. I thought this would be ju ...more
Krisha||Bookathon
DNF @ 43%

I was really excited for this book so it's definitely sad that I did not like it. The main character was just so obnoxious and annoying. She was so ignorant about everything and was borderline insulting. How a 17/18 year old can say things like "I don't understand global warming" and "I am the most selfless person since Gandhi and my parents", I do not know. I wanted to push through but by 43% it was becoming too much so had to DNF!
Lori
The Reading Fairy

TW: Underage Drinking, drunk driving, vomiting, cheating, death threats

Rep: Chinese American MC, Chinese Immigrants, side characters, Chinese side characters, Korean side character

Disclaimer: I received an ARC of this book via Netgalley, in exchange for my honest review.

I really wished I was able to drink right now because it would really make this book entertaining. Welp, since this girl can’t drink alcohol-we’re just going to go into the tea. And it’s a good thing I have my t
Lee
Feb 09, 2021 rated it did not like it
Iris Wang’s summer is starting rough. Really rough. In a hopeful attempt to get her refocused, her parents send her to visit family in Beijing. Iris is anything but happy about this, but maybe, just maybe this could actually be good for her.

Oh boy, I wish I knew where to begin here because as much as I wanted to like this book and thought that there was a chance for a good turn around, this never hit it.

My Summer of Love and Misfortune is a story that is character-driven. The focus is entirely
Katie
Jul 26, 2020 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
ARC received at ALA Midwinter Conference.

Summary
After a series of reckless encounters, Iris Wang is sent to Beijing for the summer to live with her long lost half-uncle. Her parents hope this trip will straighten her out, but unbeknownst to them, she is swept up in the luxury of Beijing's elite.

Review
I just......don't know if I have anything good to say about this book? I would have probably DNFed it but it was an easy read and sometimes it's hard to look away from a train-wreck.

I went i
Myra
Sep 30, 2020 rated it did not like it
I have thoughts... and sadly they're not too good...

I picked this book up as part of Becca's Bookoplathon in September 2020, for the challenge 'read the lowest rated book on your TBR'. And about 20% of the way through the audiobook, I started to understand why this was the lowest rated book on my TBR.

This book follows Iris Wang, a Chinese-American girl who has sort of... gone off the rails, I guess you can say. After working up a credit-card bill of $6000, crashing her parents car, failing her
Gavin
May 12, 2020 rated it did not like it
My Summer of Love and Misfortune was a huge letdown. I didn’t like the main character and the story at all. Iris Wang was a spoiled, narcissistic, annoying, self-absorbed, and dense brat. Some of her actions throughout the book were so childish.

Her parents exiled her to China because of her spoiled behavior. Her parents were also hoping that she will learn about her heritage and the language Mandarin. Instead, She spent most of the time wishing that she knew Mandarin so that she could understan
Lauren
Jul 27, 2020 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I really tried my best to like this book. I kept putting and down and picking it back up, but every time I picked it back up I hated it more. Please do yourself a favor and do not read this book.
The main character is incredibly self-centered and, quite frankly, stupid. Reading about her made me, for a moment, wish I was no longer Chinese-American if only so I had one less thing in common with this character.
Not only did she lack academic intelligence and common sense, she also showed some inter
KristynRene SwissCheese JellyBean
Chinese American slice-of-life? Now that is a YA contemporary I will read.

Thank you to Edelweiss and the Publisher for granting this eARC in exchange for an honest review

This story is incredibly entertaining. That is the grace I grant this book since I did not finish it.

DNF

Sometimes you start a book and you feel you can read that book cover to cover in one sitting. And then you put the book down and it feels like you’ve missed a chance at a life with that book because you never feel like reading
Desiree
Feb 09, 2020 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I received this as an e-ARC from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review. A sincere thank you to them for that opportunity.

I was initially excited about this story centering around a young Asian-American woman wanting to connect with her heritage. I thought the first chapter was cute and quirky. I thought it told us a lot about her and her father in a way that was informative without being an info-dump of exposition.
Unfortunately, it went downhill from that point.

My biggest issue with this bo
K.
Trigger warnings: alcohol abuse, drug use, cheating, vomit, lying, toxic friendships.

😬

Okay, so when I first marked this as currently-reading, I looked at the average rating and went "Okay, WTF????? That is STAGGERINGLY low." So I scrolled through some of the reviews to see why. And I saw a ton of people talking about how they DNFed this because it was the worst thing they'd ever read etc etc etc. And, like, I didn't think it was THAT bad so I pressed on and finished it.

But here's the thing: wh
Alice
So Iris, the MC, is a terribly self-absorbed, oblivious, and delusional (to name just a few of her best traits) highschool senior born in the year of the Tiger (for which she is doomed + she has been cursed). She doesn’t care for the world around her and lives only for her own pleasure.

When a series of dreadful events result as a consequence of her clueless, impulsive, and irresponsible actions and her world starts to crumble, Iris’ parents take a drastic decision (I kid you not): half to hide h
Krysti
Mar 22, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Crazy Rich Asians meets Shopaholic in this YA rom-com. This book is funny, wild, and completely over the top. The writing style is unique. It's silly to the point of being unbelievable. And yet, I found myself entirely entertained by it.

The voice of the main character will definitely not be for everyone, and I'll admit that it took me a while to get into it, but once I did, I couldn't put this down. It was an unexpected delight.

I had a lot of fun reading this and found it to be a much needed di
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Catch and Kill: Lies, Spies, and a Conspiracy to Protect Predators
  • Twice in a Blue Moon
  • Wilder Girls
  • The Toll (Arc of a Scythe, #3)
  • Time's Convert
  • Shine (Shine, #1)
  • Heiress Apparently (Daughters of the Dynasty, #1)
  • Laura Dean Keeps Breaking Up with Me
  • Space Boy Volume 1 (Space Boy, #1)
  • Seducing Lauren (Love Under the Big Sky, #2)
  • This Vicious Cure (This Mortal Coil, #3)
  • The Red Scrolls of Magic (The Eldest Curses, #1)
  • The Mermaid's Voice Returns in This One (Women Are Some Kind of Magic, #3)
  • Say Yes Summer
  • The Easy Part of Impossible
  • The Egypt Game
  • House of Many Ways (Howl's Moving Castle, #3)
  • Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH (Rats of NIMH, #1)
Lindsay Wong holds a BFA in Creative Writing from The University of British Columbia and a MFA in Literary Nonfiction from Columbia University in New York City.

Wong has been awarded fellowships and residencies at The Kimmel-Harding Nelson Center in Nebraska City, Caldera Arts in Oregon, and The Studios of Key West, among others. Currently, she is writer-in-residence at The John Howard Society and