Start by marking “Women Don't Owe You Pretty” as Want to Read:
Women Don't Owe You Pretty

Women Don't Owe You Pretty

3.95  ·  Rating details ·  19,889 ratings  ·  2,235 reviews

WOMEN DON'T OWE YOU PRETTY will tell you to...
love sex, hate sexism,
protect your goddamn energy,
life is short, dump them,
And that you owe men nothing, least of all pretty.

Florence's debut book will explore all progressive corners of the feminist conversation; from insecurity projection and refusing to find comfort in other women's flaws, to deci

Published June 11th 2020 by Cassell

To ask other readers questions about Women Don't Owe You Pretty, please sign up.
emma Reading wise, no, but there are mentions of sex that could maybe be too much for a nine year old. Would probably wait until she was 14 I think.
Katla María
"I ask no favour for my sex. All I ask of our brethren is that they take their feet of our necks." - RBG

The premise of this question is that in a femi…more

The premise of this question is that in a feminist world women will still be harassed by men, and therefore need to learn to defend themselves. Women don't need protecting in a world where women are no longer being harassed by men themselves.(less)

·  19,889 ratings  ·  2,235 reviews

Start your review of Women Don't Owe You Pretty
Claire
Jun 20, 2020 rated it did not like it
Review revoked please see comment below. Read Chidera Eggerue’s ‘What a Time to be Alone’ instead.
Toni 🌸
Jun 18, 2020 rated it liked it
3.5
'Women Don't Owe You Pretty' is advertised as an "accessible leap into feminism" and it is exactly that. I already know the majority of stuff Florence Given talks about here, but it was great to be reminded of certain things and be introduced to a couple of new ones that made me think. It's a fantastic book that's well written, easy to read and beautifully illustrated, but I definitely have some problems with it.

1. Florence spends far too much time talking about the male gaze. Yes, it's impo
Shannon
Jun 21, 2020 rated it it was ok
see, if this had been written in 2012 as the stepping stone into feminism it’s advertised as, it would’ve been radical and saying some really interesting and good ideas. now it’s just tired, worn out examples of self love and assertion of self that everyone who isn’t a cishet man have been saying online for close to a decade. i got nothing new from this except her belief that if you shave your head you won’t get sexually harassed, which i’ll admit - is a new one.
also, if you’re arguing your vie
Lilli Mogg
Dec 08, 2020 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2020
In no way am I discrediting what Florence has done and continues to do with her platform and for young women and queer people. However. She constantly checks her privilege but chooses to not take the step further and pass the mic to black/under- red presented women. She dedicates her book to black women however she steals their ideas and does not credit them. She coins terms as her own and takes the credit for what black feminists have been doing for an age. She is more pre occupied with ‘the Fl ...more
Olivia
Dec 14, 2020 rated it did not like it
If you’re impressed by an uninteresting white girl with a shag haircut monetising Instagram infographics and regurgitating a discourse that already happened on Tumblr in 2013 and passing it off as groundbreaking feminism, all with a self congratulatory undertone then this is the book for you.
Alice Cunniffe
would have been beneficial for 16 year old me but felt a bit obvious and repetitive to 22 year old me
Daria
Jan 04, 2021 rated it did not like it
This is pure hypocrisy. The whole concept is admittedly stolen from Chidera Eggerue, a Black woman, while the white woman profits. They used to have the same management. She talks about social injustice in the book, but reproduces it in real life. She talks about oppression of Black women, but oppresses a Black woman herself. No excuse, nothing. Instead of supporting this book, rather buy Chidera’s book “What A Time To Be Alone”
Hannah
Jun 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this book in a DAY, and if that doesn't tell you how amazing it is then I don't know what will. This book is raw, honest, sexy, empowering, moving, and so much more. It forces you to take a hard look at yourself and realise where you've gone wrong, and realise that you deserve love and care, but that it must come from within.

This is the book I wish I'd had at 13/14, it would have saved me a lot of time and trouble, but I am so grateful for it now. Florence is an incredible woman and this
Lia
Jul 19, 2020 rated it liked it
I struggled to finish this book but wanted to give it a fair chance.

Florence Given hits on a lot of important issues - yet I feel she never truly delves into the subjects she touches on. She somehow said a lot without saying very much at all?
The one point she made that I firmly disagreed on, is the opinion that Social Media can take the place of a formal education. It's true, formal education isn't for everyone. However, Instagram captions can't take the place of reading and digesting informatio
Dajana Kuban
this book is a rip-off of an earlier book written by Chidera Eggerue called “What a Time to be Alone”. Please do yourself a favour and go to read the original instead. Do not support white people stealing the work of black creators.
Sheena
Jan 22, 2021 rated it did not like it
Florence Given says so many things without actually saying anything. To explain what I mean, it’s all fluff rather than delving into the deeper issues and offering solutions. I suppose that’s what happens when you a plagiarize a black women’s work though. This doesn’t offer anything new and the writing was boring. I had big expectations going into it because the title alone is so feminist and great. Once I started the book and realized I was bored and not learning anything, I looked up reviews a ...more
Allison Sylviadotter
Jun 30, 2020 rated it did not like it
As a radical feminist this book is an absolute clusterfuck. Hypocrisy everywhere! She says one thing, then does another, then adds in a few meaningless buzz words to sound woke.

I'll add some specific examples later, but if you are a second-wave feminist, a radical feminist, or simply acknowledge women are oppressed due to our sex, this book will frustrate you beyond words. "Floss" writes like a 14 year old that had JUST discovered corporate/mainstream feminism, thinks it's revolutionary, and sti
Emma Matthews
Jun 17, 2020 rated it liked it
I found some chapters of this book incredibly empowering and relatable but certain parts of it didn’t sit well with me. For me the chapters on marriage and dating seemed slightly patronising as someone in a long term relationship. I appreciate the sentiment behind them; realising your worth and not subjecting yourself to toxic relationships but the whole ‘dump him’ doesn’t sit well with me. Maybe that’s something I need to work on within my self? It’s a weird one because I definitely learnt some ...more
Bo
Jun 16, 2020 rated it did not like it
There is nothing in here that hasn’t already been said. I was hoping for more.
Kirsten
Jun 25, 2020 rated it liked it
I think I’m too old for this book to be honest, it didn’t teach me anything new however that’s not the reason I’m only giving it 3 stars, as I think it does have useful stuff in for younger people.
My main issues were
- the author only referenced about 5 statements in the whole book - unsure why this is but there were a lot more that in my opinion needed a source
- I found the chapters on relationships/marriage very patronising, the idea that you should never have to compromise in a long term co-h
Rachel
Jun 20, 2020 rated it liked it
A nice self-affirming read with great artwork, but this isn’t a book that you’ll learn anything new from unless you’re brand new to feminism and/or quite young. There are a few topics that are discussed with very little nuance and some words are flung around in a way that verges on lazy at times, like ‘emotional abuse’. My only other gripe is that some chapters are really short - one is 2 pages long if you don’t include the artwork.
Claire Hansen
Jun 24, 2020 rated it liked it
This book has torn me. It is sold as an introduction to feminism for the instagram generation which I would agree with, and obviously empowering young women is always a positive thing. I loved the beginning talking about “not accepting crumbs, you deserve the whole cake” and felt like this was going to be a new favourite. Also the whole self-love vibe is completely up my street.
However. Florence is only 20, and this shows in some ways. Her statement that following more diverse people on Instagr
greta ☁️
Mar 15, 2021 rated it it was amazing
just finished reading an ebook of this and i feel like every single person needs to read this at least once in their lives. this was such a powerful and important read. i highly highly recommend reading this xx
Arna
Nov 21, 2020 rated it really liked it
This book is well written and engaging, so important for a non fiction! This wasn’t groundbreaking for me, but I can definitely see it being useful for the targeted audience.

I did like the part about boundaries. I feel young women especially can be a little passive when it comes to standing up for what you want. I also found a lot of useful information the check your privilege section.
~Jo~
Jun 19, 2021 rated it it was ok
Shelves: feminism
If I had read this book maybe 20 years ago, I may have benefited from it, but as a woman in her thirties, I hate to say it Florence Given, but it has all been said before - only better.

The title of this book is great, and really very feminist, and I presumed the content would be just as good. Unfortunately, Given rarely offered any solutions for her claims, and I feel like things were sugar coated, instead of facing issues head on.

Nobody likes it when issues are deliberately avoided, like they
Imogen Kathleen
This book claims to be the book that 'every woman needs'. I would argue that it's actually the book every tweenager needs.2.5 very mediocre stars. Whilst it makes some good points, the whole thing felt like one looooong Instagram post, and it feels like this book was thrown together hastily to make some quick money off Given's current hype.
Full RTC shortly.
Oyinda
Update (Jan 2021)
After discovering that this author lifted and plagiarized the work of Chidera Eggerue (theslumflower), i am taking my review down from a 4 to a 1.

To be clear, I also don't support Chidera, as she's also been accused of stealing work and experiences from sex workers, so I don't recommend reading her books either.

.....

I know I say this for a lot of the books I read, but this is a VERY IMPORTANT book. Florence Given explores a lot of themes from feminism and patriarchy to the ge
Susanna
Jun 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
What an excellent introduction to self care, feminism, healing and recognising privilege - this book seems like the holy grail for younger people, definitely! As a semi-seasoned feminist, this book was still great for me despite this being (without sounding snooty) below my usual level of feminist readings. Complete with beautiful illustrations, this book helped change my perspective on things such as self care and marriage. A timely, gorgeously accessible text for all ages, genders and stages o ...more
Mon
Jan 19, 2021 rated it did not like it
I was going to give this a 3 but on reflection I’m so annoyed that it’s a 1, hun.
Side note, unless you are Paige from Degrassi the next generation do NOT call me hun.

I just feel like things in this frustrated me, I didn’t even really read the last 20 pages.
I liked the sections on accountability and the notion of ‘don’t settle for crumbs’ but that was it.
Nothing else stuck with me. I cannot recall anything else from this book that cost me thirty bloody dollars. If you’re going to read this, g
Izzy Cole
Jun 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I rly rly rly wish 16 year old me could’ve read this !
Jess
Jul 31, 2020 rated it liked it
Doom on you if you’re in a long-term relationship.

description

Women Don’t Owe You Pretty is a decent springboard into intersectional feminism. Given’s advice is refreshingly practical and clear-sighted; she checks your privilege; her artwork is wonderfully quirky; and I particularly appreciated the advocation of self-respect and the importance of setting yourself boundaries. (We all know that person who feels they need to 'raise' their partner/ take them on as a project.)

It was, however, supercilious in pla
Jessi ♥️ H. Vojsk
Jan 17, 2021 rated it it was amazing
That was an exceptional read.
I loved it, I really did.
It had so many important topics in it (feminism, check your privilege, LGBTQ+, misogyny etc etc etc)
And the way she wrote made it so relatable (at least for me).
Also: the art was amazing!

Definitely a recommendation. ✨
Maja
Aug 30, 2020 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Actually surprised I didn’t just stop reading but still stuck it out?? This book was a lot, literally a lot, since I felt like it tried to cover everything which made it extremely surface level with a few pages on one topic and then a few pages on another topic, rushing through a number of topics, neither of which were delved into very deeply.

However, I guess I wasn’t the target audience anyway and it might be more directed to young teens but I still probably wouldn’t suggest this. The way she
Briney
I like/agree with the general message Flo's tryna convey here, it’s nice to see how others articulate things and there’s a reassuring sense of camaraderie in the sharing of vices and/or traumatic experiences. Buuuuuuuut, I don't feel like she's brought much (if anything) new to the table. This is the kind of book that 13 year old me desperately needed to read but I've since researched, read and studied a lot more and have surpassed the surface level of acknowledgment Flo's going for here. That's ...more
Sophie Corbett
Aug 09, 2020 rated it it was ok
2/5 A glorified coffee table book.
This book had so much hype but did not live up to expectation. There’s no new ideas, lots of over simplification and is essentially a combination of her own internal monologue and Instagram quotes.
I was hoping for critical analysis, facts, stats and case studies and there was nothing of the sort, just statements without proof.
I didn’t give it 1 because I like the illustrations and feel it may be of some benefit to teenage girls.
I read the first 30 pages then

• The Diary of Frida Kahlo: An Intimate Self-Portrait
  • Anne of Green Gables (Anne of Green Gables, #1)
  • Defending Jacob
  • We Have Always Been Here: A Queer Muslim Memoir
  • How To Get Over A Boy
  • A Certain Smile
  • Mister Pip
  • The New Plant Parent: Develop Your Green Thumb and Care for Your House-Plant Family
  • The Man She Married
  • A Small Place
See top shelves…
Florence Given is a London based artist and writer.

In 2018, she launched a petition to cancel Netflix's controversial fat-shaming series 'Insatiable', it gained over 300,000 signatures in a matter of days. The story became global news and she appeared on many news networks across the US and UK, as well as being interviewed for various publications including Huffington Post and Grazia.

A London-base

News & Interviews

We all want to spend more time lost in the pages of great books. That's the idea behind our annual 2021 Goodreads Reading Challenge! It's...
“But remember that anyone who tells you you’re “too” anything is using the word because they are threatened by your capacity to grow, evolve and express your emotions.” 35 likes
“Choosing yourself will always disappoint some people. The sooner we accept this and make peace with it, the better.” 26 likes