Start by marking “Paris or Die” as Want to Read:
Paris or Die

Paris or Die

Paris. The beauty. The grime. The colours and thoughts and songs and sounds and children and dogs. The taste of strawberries, the sky, first métro, last métro, the bells, the dreams …

The city of light, it seems, has its own plans for Jayne. Drawn there in an entirely unforeseen way, she finds herself in a vibrant and dizzying neighbourhood, living in a former monastery, st
Published December 1st 2019 by Hardie Grant Travel

To ask other readers questions about Paris or Die, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Paris or Die

Start your review of Paris or Die
Megan Warren
Oct 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Thanks to Hardie Grant Books for the copy I received. Paris or Die is an evocative memoir of Jayne’s time in Paris. I wanted to eat the buttery croissants, the baguettes, the cheese and drink the wine. I felt like I was in Paris with her.
Kimberley
Oct 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Really enjoyed this one. Was scared it was going to be another running away to Paris story but it actually had depth and resonated so much with my own story (swap Paris for Barcelona though) The honesty was raw and it was beautifully written. I devoured it in two sittings.
Ashod
Mar 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I have such a massive crush on this book. Recommended for anyone who would rather be riding a bicycle aimlessly around the streets of Paris than doing whatever it is they are doing right now. Hot, honest, heartbreaking/heartbuilding. Just the best.
Cecilia Trono
Feb 14, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Wow! I just want to start this book all over again. Being from Paris and having moved away, this book resonated particularly with me, but I’m sure anyone could enjoy it. It’s written so beautifully, raw and poetic. I loved following young Jayne in her Parisian adventures, with friends and boyfriend, and rediscovering my city through her eyes, as she makes it hers little by little. It made me want to jump on a bike and cycle around the streets aimlessly, only to take in Paris’ beauty and grim ali ...more
Paul Sanders
Mar 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
It was laugh out loud funny in parts, steamy in others, atmospheric throughout. The book transports you to Paris for the many highs (e.g. les croissants) and the various lows (e.g. piss-filled puddles). I loved a fellow Aussie’s take on Paris and all things French.
Jane
Dec 28, 2019 rated it it was ok
I wanted to read this, and won an uncorrected proof. How exciting, I thought, get an insider's view of an Aussie living in Paris, something I will never do in my lifetime. But I did not care for Jayne enough. I liked some of her friends; the people she met along the way were interesting, finding herself was only mildly interesting.
Unfortunately, I was only ever partially invested in this memoir, so it took a longer time to read than it should have.
Leigh Robshaw
Jan 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
This book is beautifully written and Tuttle is masterful with her language. I loved how it gave me an insider's experience of Paris, beyond the tourist traps. It gave a real insight into the culture and the people and the pitfalls of a cross-cultural romance. Found myself wanting to eat croissants and drink wine the entire way through though! Highly recommended. ...more
Joshua Croggon
Aug 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I've just finished Paris or Die, and I utterly adored it! It's been a beautiful thing to read while stuck, literally, at home during the pandemic, so what better alternative to find myself traipsing through Paris.

Tuttle's memoir is an honest, joyful delight, with said honesty shining on every page. Jayne lays herself bare - her rude thoughts, her fiery passions, her pains, her delights - in such a way that the book feels very both very generous and also very precious.

Jaye writes about moving int
Serena Ford
Apr 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
I’m always drawn to books about Paris. With good reason Paris is one of the most popular cities in the world for tourists. It always gives me a little thrill when reading a book and the author talks about a street or a landmark I have been too. This book is full of beautiful descriptions of Paris life. You can almost smell the city as you read. The book is well written and easy to read. However I did not find the descriptions of study at theatre school interesting and overall found Jayne not ver ...more
Mary McLean
Feb 09, 2021 rated it it was ok
My issue with memoirs is that I get really scared not liking them because I feel like I’m saying that I don’t like someone else’s life. It’s pretty rough. And we all know that’s not the case.

I really didn’t love this, I was trying hard to continue through and by the end I wasn’t really taking much in and just reading the words. I did love the talk of Paris life, I mean who seriously wouldn’t live in Paris if they could. A beautifully, romantic city with culture, history and endless croissants 🥐.
Jemma
Jul 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Run 🏃‍♂️ to get this from your local indie as soon as you can! I savoured every word and got deliciously lost in this rollercoaster story of love, loss and friendship that’s also a story of personal resilience and one of the city of Paris. Jayne writes with depth, beauty and insight - and she has a unique way of revealing Paris as it is in its grime as well as gloss so it feels raw and real. Fabulous writing and story.
Julia
Jan 31, 2021 rated it really liked it
“I want to be in Paris,” I moan while reading this. However considering everything I am very glad I’m not there at this moment. Put Paris in any form of literature and I will ingest it. Jayne Tuttle is fearless and full of gusto. She’s raw and she’s unapologetic. I wish I had it in me to pack up, move to Paris and ride my bike around Paris collecting friends, but perhaps my time will come.
Nellie Neate
May 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I couldn’t put this down. Well written. Her humour brought tears of laughter and her vulnerability and sorrows equally brought fat tears of sadness. Thanks Jayne I felt as though I was there watching from the sides. Beautiful
Highly recommend 👏🏼
Jane
Jul 28, 2020 rated it liked it
Interested to read this as the author has bought a nearby bookshop and I’ve heard good things. An entertaining read and immersive experience of Paris from the eyes of a pretty penniless (at the time!) Australian theatre student.
Alicia Temmerman
Jul 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. I couldn't put it down. I felt like I was there with Jayne as she navigated love, loss, life and everything in between. I love the rawness and honesty in this book and Jayne's all round brilliant writing. ...more
David
Aug 16, 2020 rated it liked it
A strong and spirited opening, lurching to a dull middle, and a sour, quick ending. Enjoyable reflection of outsiders life in Paris, but the writing is patchy, and the story loses its way somewhat. I wanted to like this book more than I actually did.
Pip Smith
Jan 17, 2021 rated it really liked it
Personal and vibrant story telling. I would love to see the play version of this that is currently (2021?) in Australia.
Hester Vyver
Jul 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Brilliant!! I inhaled it and have bought for friends who also absolutely loved it!!
Blake Wiggins
Oct 16, 2020 rated it really liked it
The perspective of a stranger captivated by a foreign land was beautiful, as well as the hard but necessary pain of growing on display in this book. 3.5/5 stars
ALICE RETIF
Apr 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Deeply honest, moving, fun and impossible to put down. Absolutely loved it!
Emily Kowal
Dec 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
This book was the perfect form of escapism needed for a time when travel is out of the question. Jayne Tuttle writes beautifully and envelopes you in her story.
Rozeeta
Mar 15, 2021 rated it it was amazing
I really loved this. It transported me to Paris (which I really needed), and connected on the heady intensity of falling in love in and with a foreign land as well.
Sandra
Mar 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I adored this book! The beginning starts with a bit of a mystery and the sense something bad will happen, and then the rest of book builds up to telling us about that event in more detail. But it is a happy, sexy, uplifting book and so well written. If you wondered what it would be like to be young, in Paris, with a sexy French boyfriend, lots of parties, seeing the sights, going to theatre school, then read this book.
Sam
Mar 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Eloquently written bio that draws you in with charm and raw honesty. Her journey is wonderfully enticing. Looking forward to the next installment.
Caroline Poole
Mar 31, 2020 rated it really liked it
Paris here I come! This memoir is so full of the Paris we all dream exists. An enjoyable read just for that!
Kitty Walker
Mar 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I read this book in one sitting, hiding under the doona by torchlight to keep going. I didn’t want it to end. Write another book ASAP, please Jayne Tuttle!
Cara
Mar 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
Honest and punchy, Jayne’s incredibly personal recount of her life in Paris is totally enchanting. She somehow manages to steer clear of the dreaded “I found myself in Paris” story for something more vulnerable, heartfelt and utterly charming.
Caroline
Mar 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I don't know what I expected when I bought this book - I purchased it from the author at her bookshop in Queenscliff, Victoria, because we had a charming conversation and we worked out we had at least one mutual friend. The book completely exceeded my expectations (whatever they were) - it is an insightful guide to life in Paris, and transcends the usual "fish out of water" tropes due to Jayne's honest, observant and unpretentious voice. Highly recommended! ...more
Toni Stanaway
Dec 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Loved this book, felt as though I was with Jayne on her adventures good and bad throughout Paris !
Elizabeth Ferguson
Feb 04, 2020
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• The Witches Are Coming
  • Dear Haiti, Love Alaine
  • The Deep
  • Pelican in Peril (Eco Rangers, #1)
  • An American Marriage
  • Being Black 'n Chicken, and Chips
  • The Weekend
  • The Yield
  • Olive, Again (Olive Kitteridge, #2)
  • The Bookish Life of Nina Hill
  • A Room Made of Leaves
  • Unseen The secret world of chronic illness
  • There Was Still Love
  • Trust (Martin Scarsden, #3)
  • Honeybee
  • Fake: A Startling True Story of Love in a World of Liars, Cheats, Narcissists, Fantasists and Phonies
  • Three Women
  • Olive Kitteridge (Olive Kitteridge, #1)
Jayne Tuttle is a writer who splits her time between France and Australia. After graduating from the Lecoq Theatre School, she lived in Paris for more than a decade, working internationally as an actor and writer and publishing stories about life in Paris in newspapers, guides and magazines. She currently works for Paris advertising agencies as a bilingual copywriter.