Start by marking “New Year's Kiss” as Want to Read:
New Year's Kiss

New Year's Kiss

A fun and upbeat paperback original romance about a girl who has a New Year’s resolution to make the coming year epic in every way—and is willing to put herself out there for love.

Tess and her opinionated older sister Lauren are spending the week after Christmas at the snowy Evergreen Lodge in Vermont and they aren’t happy about it. Their stern grandmother, who owns the ho
Published December 1st 2020 by Underlined

Start your review of New Year's Kiss
Irena BookDustMagic
Dec 09, 2020 rated it liked it
When I first started this novel I was in love. It pulled me in immediately, I loved the feeling it gave me while I was devouring the pages, and I honestly though I was on a way to discover new Anna and the French Kiss.

However, as the story progressed, it took a different turn and if I'm completely honest, it bored me for one with it's predictability, and second, with selfishness of the main character who's only focus was on her love interest.

Yes, her sister was the good one either, but that was
Claude's Bookzone
Well.

This is a super cheesy YA romance. I am sure people will find aspects to enjoy. I could see it going well with NZ Year 9 students looking for a formulaic and safe romance. The characters weren't unlikeable, they were just very forgettable. Just not for me.
Vee
Jan 01, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: people who toilet paper the wrong bush
Wordpress Blog | Twitter

This was the perfect start to 2021, kicking off my year with a cute, fluffy romantic read set in snowy Vermont. I loved following Tess as she grew as a person, enjoyed just being a teenager and navigated her way around her first romance.

The setting was the best part, cosy ski lodges and snow covered ski slopes. It really helped the cosy atmosphere the book had, and we got to visit all of it while Tess was making steps to complete her bucket list. From karaoke to firing pa
Yesha- Books Teacup and Reviews
*** Note: I received e-copy of this book from the publisher via NetGalley, in exchange for an honest review. Many thanks to PRHGlobal for free copy. ***

New Year’s Kiss was fun and uplifting New Year themed YA romance that revolved around Tess’ ten bucket list to accomplish before New Year. It was about getting out of comfort zone, trying new things, and enjoying life for yourself once in a while, family, friendship and love.

Writing was gripping, entertaining and fast paced. It was first person n
Ariel
Dec 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya
I really enjoyed this book! It gave me Jen Calonita and 10 Blind Dates vibes and I was all for it.

I wasn't really sure what the purpose of the book or the end goal was going to be when I first started the book, but I quickly found out our main character, Tess, wanted to accomplish a bucket list. This bucket list contained a list of things she had always been too scared or too shy to do, but wanted to accomplish before the start of the new year. Almost like a reverse new year's resolutions list.
Samantha (WLABB)
Dec 16, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: contemporary, ya, romance
I originally wanted to read this book when I first saw it, because I was looking for something fun and cute. When I read a few reviews, which likened this book to a Hallmark movie, I was all in. As a Hallmarkie, I can see some parallels, and I rather enjoyed spending the year end with Tess.

Her life was going through a LOT of changes, and as type-A person with a list and a plan for everything, let's just say, she was not embracing the changes. When she met Christopher, he encouraged her to push
Natalie
I was hooked by this at the start. I really enjoy the bucket list trope, as well as characters coming out of their shell a little bit. I also really liked the festive vibes of the hotel, and I’m such a seasonal reader that I actually finished it on New Year’s Eve which matched the story, so I thought that was cool.

However, this ended up being only an average read for me. The romance happened pretty quickly (which I guess is to be expected since the book is less than 250 pages), the conflict was
Christy
Dec 29, 2020 rated it liked it
This book tried to be a lot of things but didn't have a lot of heart, sadly. ...more
Rachel Ekstrom
Dec 31, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This was a cute one. And I finished it right on time :)
ThatBookGal
Nov 12, 2020 rated it liked it
This is a sweet read, which is mostly very innocent and reads like a PG Christmassy movie. I would say it's more aimed at pre-teens, as opposed to YA. It's a very gentle tale about a girl coming out of her shell and finding her feet outside the safety of her books.

The characters were all likeable, and whilst it's fairly predictable, it was lovely just to sink into something wholesome. It made me want to escape to a lodge full of Christmas trees and drink gallons of hot chocolate!
Neha Thakkar
May 29, 2020 rated it really liked it
A cute little romance middle school/teen novel. Reminds me a bit of a Hallmark holiday movie, perfect for tweens and teens that want romance!
Christina (A Reader of Fictions)
New Year's Kiss very much falls into the realm of okay imo. The audiobook is a quick and pleasant listen, but the story is not particularly remarkable.

This book might appeal to people looking for younger-oriented YA, as I know some people are, given the regular complaints that YA is written to old toward the adult readership. Well, this one has a very youthful, teen feel. The heroine makes a "bucket list" for her time at the family resort before New Year's, and her goals include things like maki
Jill Jemmett
Dec 31, 2020 rated it really liked it
Sixteen-year-old Tess and her older sister Lauren are sent to stay with their grandmother at her ski resort after Christmas. Their parents are getting divorced, so they want the girls to spend some time with their grandmother over the holidays. Lauren wants to take chances and deviate from the schedule that their grandmother plans, while Tess always follows the rules. When Tess meets Christopher, a guest at the resort, they create a bucket list of things she wants to do to get outside of her com ...more
Shivani
Dec 18, 2020 rated it liked it
This book was short and sweet. It’s a cute winter/holiday contemporary in which we follow our MC Tess who’s supposed to be the typical shy, boring, doesn’t have to have fun, just stay in her room reading gal. The characterization was one that I think is really overdone. Anyways, enter a boy who helps her make a list of things to complete that get her out of her comfort zone before New Year’s. I think a younger version of me would have devoured this book because I love books where the main charac ...more
Joanna Bennett
I definitely was drawn to this one because of the cover. Designs like this always catch my eye and it’s hard to look away!

Tess meets Christopher and they talk about what what she really wants to do and soon she is making a list to complete before the new year. This made for a good plot and it’s always nice to read about someone facing their fears and taking on new challenges. She also gets help from Christopher and you can see their relationship blossom a bit because of it.

When it came to Tess,
CrimsonRoseReads
Dec 31, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I’m not one for contemporary romances but I really enjoyed this book!

I wanted something light and season appropriate to end the year with and this lovely story about a Type A introvert putting herself out there and trying new things all while establishing an Instalove romance during the last week of the year was just the ticket!

And the audiobook was expertly narrated by Lillie Ricciardi. Highly Recommend!
Julia Crandall
3.5 ⭐️

This was a cute read. Not the best I’ve ever read but it kept me entertained and I liked reading it for the New Year. Some things were a little dramatic and I feel like that was the author not really knowing how to write teenagers at times. Other times I thought he did a good job. The only time I was annoyed was with Tess after she found out about the law suit and was mad at Christopher.
Amy Curzenski
Jan 06, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2021-books
A perfect book to end the year with or to start the year with. It was fun to see the characters change and grow throughout the story. Will keep you interested and wanting to know what happens next. A perfect book for reading by the fire or at a ski lodge, if you are lucky enough to travel to one!
Erin
Dec 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
Really cute end of the year read! I really enjoyed this book but just found that Tess was a little too whiny/demanding of her grandmother at times. But I liked that she decided to challenge herself to do a few things that she's always wanted to do before the new year started. Might need to take on a few challenges myself. ...more
Sam
Dec 31, 2020 rated it really liked it
This was a really cute, quick read. I could really identify with Tess and enjoyed watching her come out of her shell and try new things. Parts of the story were pretty predictable, but the story was enjoyable and fun. I'm glad I read it. ...more
Sara Vazquez
Dec 30, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: 6th-grade
v similar to that song about a partridge in a pear tree
Lindsay Montague
It was a short rom-com that I read in a few hours. There wasn’t much to it but I was entertained.
Kate Waggoner
Oct 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2020-read
Thank you to Random House Children's and #NetGalley for allowing me the opportunity to read an advance digital copy of New Year's Kiss by Lee Matthews. This YA contemporary romance novel will be published on December 1, 2020. All opinions are my own.

Tess and her sister, Lauren, are banished to their grandmother's boutique resort for the week after Christmas while their parents finalize their divorce and her father moves out. The girls have a rocky and somewhat distant relationship with their gra
Rachel
Jun 07, 2020 rated it it was ok
This wasn't the worst book I've read, but it was predictable and lacked character development. I felt embarrassed for Tess for much of the book. This book might appeal to tweens with a simplistic idea of what it means to be a teenager, but lacks the nuance to appeal to its target audience. ...more
Rachael
Jan 05, 2021 rated it really liked it
Thanks to Edelweiss for giving me access to the digital ARC of this book. All opinions are my own.

This book was so fun!!!

It’s been a while since I’ve read a YA romance and I’m so glad I read this one for multiple reasons.

1. It’s set at a ski resort the week leading up to the new year and since it just became the new year I thought it was fitting! And I was just talking to one of my friends that we should have worked at a ski resort in college haha.

2. I loved the growth in relationship that Tess
Tabassum Irin (whatirinreads)
Dec 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
3.85/5 ⭐

This was such an adorable YA romance! Since one of my 2020 resolutions was to delve into books outside the YA sphere, I ended up not reading a lot of YA books in the last few months. New Year’s Kiss made me fall in love with YA all over again. I really missed the warmth of cheesy, lovey-dovey books! 💜

I’ve always loved reading books which center around bucket lists, which is why reading New Year’s Kiss was such a treat! The main character, Tess, makes a list of things to accomplish before
Karina Q.
Dec 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
😭❄️✨💕 I loved this book SO much! It was SO CUTE! I finished it in one sitting I couldn’t put it down! Totally living for Tess and her New Year journey!

🎄✨🎿 Tess is having the worst Christmas ever. Her parents are separating and she’s stuck at her family’s hotel lodge with her “cooler” sister Lauren and her no-nonsense grandmother. It’s looking to be a really dull holiday until she meets Christopher—a super cute guy who is stuck in the hotel with a broken leg from a snow incident.

🎿❄️🎄
Tess fin
Becky
For a more in-depth review watch https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_qvC...

Tess's parents announce they are divorcing right after Christmas and are sending her and her sister, Lauren, to spend a week with their grandmother at the family's ski resort. Tess is miserable being exiled from her home until she meets Christopher, a cute boy who just broke his leg at the resort. As the two spend time together, Christopher encourages Tess to check off all the things on her end of the year bucket list.

New
Myria
Jan 06, 2021 rated it really liked it
🎆
This book was super cute! It was just what I needed for that after Christmas, but not ready to really start a big book type of book. You know that limbo of I-want-to-read-but-not-that-one-yet type of feeling. 😆 I also hadn’t really seen many (or any) New Year/after Christmas books before. I saw this one and had to have it.
🎆
Tess and her sister are sent to spend a week with their grandmother who owns a ski resort. While there, she meets Christopher who has broken his leg and just has to hang out
Alexx
Dec 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
OMG!! this was so good! i only bought this after reading “All I Want for Christmas” and honestly it’s so good!! i couldn’t put it down and finished it in one day (technically two since i finished it at midnight) but omggg it’s such a cute romance book and i’m totally going to start reading more romance novels however this book does feel like more for a younger audience or someone who is slowly merging into a different genre!! but i highly recommend BOTH of the books (All I Want for Christmas and ...more

• All I Want for Christmas
  • One Way or Another
  • Mind the Gap, Dash & Lily (Dash & Lily, #3)
  • Together, Apart
  • My Favorite Half-Night Stand
  • You Should See Me in a Crown
  • The Royal Treatment (Alaskan Royal Family, #1)
  • Best Friends (Real Friends, #2)
  • L'oasis, petite genèse d'un jardin biodivers
  • Petites terreurs du quotidien (L'homme le plus flippé du monde, #1)
  • Real Men Knit
  • C'est comme ça que je disparais
  • Vent mauvais
  • Autour d'elles, Tome 1
  • La Relève (Bergères guerrières, #1)
  • The Chocolate Factory Ghost
  • The Code for Love and Heartbreak
  • Mistletoe and Mr. Right (Moose Springs, Alaska #2)

News & Interviews

“Maybe this should be one more bucket list item—stop obsessing about perfect to-do lists. Start being a little more flexible.” 0 likes
“The boy was cute. No, cute didn’t cover it. He was YouTube–star worthy. And not just I made this video in my backyard and almost broke my neck so I got a million likes cute, but I have my own channel and product and entourage cute.” 0 likes