Start by marking “Red Mars / Green Mars (Mars Trilogy, #1-2)” as Want to Read:
Red Mars / Green Mars (Mars Trilogy, #1-2)

Red Mars / Green Mars

(Mars Trilogy #1-2)

Two eBooks in One! Red Mars: In his most ambitious project to date, award-winning author Kim Stanley Robinson utilizes years of research and cutting-edge science in the first of three novels that will chronicle the colonization of Mars. For eons, sandstorms have swept the barren, desolate landscape of the red planet. For centuries, Mars has beckoned to mankind to come and ...more
Kindle Edition
Published (first published May 27th 2003)

Start your review of Red Mars / Green Mars (Mars Trilogy, #1-2)
Jacob O'connor
May 09, 2014 rated it liked it
This is not your teenager's science fiction. Robinson can write, and he has a grownups grasp of politics. You get a healthy dose of that in this book. Its pretty heavy on exposition, and I could have used a little more action. Especially because Robinson handles those parts well. Not to worry, unlike quite a bit in this genre, he never gets preachy or distracts from the story. The climax is worth the wait. I'll likely give the sequel a try. Recommended for thinking science fiction fans.
Christa
Jun 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Incredible. I have been to Mars.
Seaby Brown
Sep 15, 2018 rated it liked it
We need to separate issue in these two books in the trilogy. I have not yet read the third, only the first two.

As a avid reader of SciFi, I like it when authors know their subgenre and execute well. This trilogy is supposed to be HARD SciFi in which everything should be at least plausible and if one must have some imaginary tech... at least make it physically possible... or if one just must have something magical, restrict it to just one thing. But... but... please don't just ignore basic physic
Noelle
Feb 12, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
DO NOT BUY. I purchased this from the Sony Reader Ebook store.

The text is OCR-scanned and NOT PROOFREAD at all. Misspellings and randomly-accented characters are frequent and a few times the text drops into pure unintelligibility.

I don't understand where Random House/Spectra gets off charging money for this shoddy product.
Kevin P
Sep 25, 2019 rated it liked it
RE-READ
I'm getting increasingly frustrated speed at which Mars is not only terraformed as well as the lack of real character developement. I feel that it was a mistake to carry forward any of the first 100 (could have been a new characters without issue) and the whole book just feels kinda rushed.

Patrick Belote
Feb 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Excellent books on Mars colonization. KSR takes into account science, society, politics, etc. very believable how a new civilization would develop in a harsh environment. I gave 4 stars cause it’s a darned good read. Terraforming Mars in 1,000 years is ridiculously impossible. That’s why I didn’t give it 5 stars.
Ronald McCoy
Nov 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: science-fiction
First of this amazing trilogy. The scene is set for an amazing saga across time and space. While the science visions are huge, the stories are always human, and the interaction between the two. The author has this amazing way of setting things up and towards the end of the novel, the final scenes are often spectacularly breathtaking - this book is no different. Astonishing worldscape. Loved it!
Sam Kowitch
Jun 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
realigned my thinking on what the priorities/objects of society should be.
Deborah
May 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I love the first two books (and the third) in this series. The books are well written and the characters show strong development throughout the years that the story takes place. I think this is the most realistic space travel series that I have read so far. It nearly makes me wish that we had a Mars program already in effect! The way the author so immaculately represents the different personalities of different humans and the difficulties, socially, mentally, and environmentally, that a group of ...more
Jordan
Apr 23, 2012 rated it really liked it
Green Mars began slower than Red Mars, but the second half was fascinating. Given our history of colonies on Earth, there is every reason to believe that an off-world colony would want to throw off Earth's control and head in a different direction.
Mavey
Jun 27, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
Not a huge science fiction guy, so not all too impressed.
Christina
Jun 01, 2013 rated it liked it
Took awhile to get into but worth it as the story developes, looking forward to green mars
glitrbug
Feb 16, 2010 marked it as to-read
Kindle,free
Steve Jay
Apr 16, 2015 rated it liked it
Typical Kim Stanley Robinson book, starts off with universe building then gets all character driven, it was ok.
stefanddddddd
Jun 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
interesting, imaginative and kind of ... realistic. a good argument that the biggest obstacle in the colonization of the red planet is not technology but human nature.
Georgi
Aug 08, 2015 rated it liked it
Не ми допадна особено. Трудно я прочетох - задълбава много в човешките взаимоотношения и от фантастика се превръща в нещо друго.
Jessica
Oct 24, 2012 added it
Shelves: fantasy-scifi
Interesting that this has a bunch of negative reviews... So far I am enjoying it even more than the first. The terraforming and plant growth aspect appeal to me quite a bit.
Chris Davidge
Sep 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
epic
Steph
Sep 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The descriptions of the Martian landscape blew me away. I wasn't that impressed with the characters really but just the overall images created were so good I simply could not put it down
Corinne
January 2005
Gerard Hovagimyan
The whole trilogy is wonderful. It's scientifically dense and yet the characters and drama are compelling.
Kathy
May 12, 2011 rated it really liked it
the best of his Mars books
Daniel Crow
Aug 24, 2019
Dean Parker
rated it it was ok
Sep 25, 2016

• Iron Council (New Crobuzon, #3)
  • The Scar (New Crobuzon, #2)
  • Elysium Fire (Prefect Dreyfus Emergency #2)
  • My Bondage and My Freedom
  • Death Is a Lonely Business (Crumley Mysteries, #1)
  • A Graveyard for Lunatics: Another Tale of Two Cities (Crumley Mysteries, #2)
  • Farewell Summer (Green Town, #3)
  • The Toynbee Convector
  • Confessions of a Crap Artist
  • The Man Whose Teeth Were All Exactly Alike
  • Time Out of Joint
  • In Milton Lumky Territory
  • Martian Time-Slip
  • Robots and Empire (Robot, #4)
  • The Prefect (Prefect Dreyfus Emergency, #1)
  • The Demolished Man
  • Forward the Foundation (Foundation: Prequel #2)
  • The Robots of Dawn (Robot, #3)
Kim Stanley Robinson is an American science fiction writer, probably best known for his award-winning Mars trilogy.

His work delves into ecological and sociological themes regularly, and many of his novels appear to be the direct result of his own scientific fascinations, such as the 15 years of research and lifelong fascination with Mars which culminated in his most famous work. He has, due to his

Mars Trilogy (3 books)
  • Red Mars (Mars Trilogy, #1)
  • Green Mars (Mars Trilogy, #2)
  • Blue Mars (Mars Trilogy, #3)