Start by marking “The Mercy of Snakes (Nameless #5)” as Want to Read:
The Mercy of Snakes (Nameless #5)

The Mercy of Snakes

(Nameless #5)

A series of suspicious deaths in a retirement home draws Nameless into the confidence of a terrified former resident—and into the dark heart of a shocking conspiracy. In part five of the Nameless series, it’s time to hunt.

Oakshore Park is Michigan’s most exclusive assisted-living community. Presided over by two killer angels of mercy, it’s also the go-to facility in assist

Published November 12th 2019 by Amazon Original Stories

To ask other readers questions about The Mercy of Snakes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Mercy of Snakes

Start your review of The Mercy of Snakes (Nameless #5)
Peter
May 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror
In this installment Nameless is hunting down the operator of a residence for wealthy elderly people. The doctor isn't doing his devilish business alone. An ex-stripper now nurse and sex mate is helping him to create some extra income by getting rid of the "overstayers". Dean Koontz gives some insight view how depraved some members of society really are. Some heirs simply can't wait until its their turn and try to accelerate the natural cause of death. What is Nameless and his team doing? Absolut ...more
Kimberly
I thought it had finally happened. I thought I had found the one book in the Nameless series that I wasn't going to like. The villains were as evil as ever but the take down just didn't quite pack the punch that it normally does. Since this is the fifth book of a six part series, I would have finished the series regardless, however that last chapter pulled me back in. I'm looking forward to the final story.
Montzalee Wittmann
Dec 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
The Mercy of Snakes
Nameless, Book 5
By: Dean Koontz
Narrated by: Edoardo Ballerini
Money is more important than life in the nursing home. Nameless comes to settle the score.
Great story! Good narration too!
Sheila Beaumont
The fifth entry in Dean Koontz's "Nameless" series, and the best yet. In this one Nameless is sent to deal with a doctor and nurse who are being paid to murder residents of an upscale assisted-living community by heirs who are impatient to get hold of their money. One more story to go. I wonder if we (and Nameless) will find out something about his forgotten past.
Obsidian
Nov 13, 2019 rated it it was ok
Spoilers for events from Nameless #1, "In the Heart of the Fire".

Had to go to the gym to workout, which was a welcome break from this series. Honestly this is just boring. At this point what is the purpose of Nameless. The guy barely does anything. He does kill someone in this story, but other than that, why would someone need to have amnesia to do this. His "powers" are not in play in this one either. We hear more about the purple blue eyed woman and I now hate the colors purple and blue.

"The
Dean
Nov 16, 2020 rated it really liked it
I think this series gets better and better!!
Nameless recurring visions and flashbacks hit him more and more..

Again he had to confront the dark side wrapped up in human nature..
Old people are murdered because of their money, and the killer agents cannot be catch by the law!!

Only Nameless manifests himself as the avenger bringing justice to light!!
Good and fast paced, a genuine page turner!!

Happy readings
Dean;)
Deborah
Oct 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
Only Those Who Deserve it

Another interesting story about a nameless man who is ordered to take care of very bad people. Nameless has no memory of who he is but seems to be remembering some things from his past. On to the next story!
NILTON TEIXEIRA
Dec 04, 2019 rated it liked it
Interesting

Not bad. But not very exciting. I thought that the previous two novellas were better. Looking forward to reading the final instalment.
Henry
Jan 29, 2020 rated it really liked it
Very Good Series

This is the fifth in Dean Koontz' Nameless series. It was a very enjoyable read. I am looking forward to the sixth and apparently the last in the series
Deb
Aug 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I love the Nameless books. Fast reads and I keep going until I'm finished. Corruption and murder for inheritance. Two cold blooded killers but which one is more dangerous? Nameless reveals more about his returning memories and makes a decision. Highly recommended.
Shalini
Dec 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed this section of Nameless's journey when he pursued a doctor and his nurse for the deaths happening in the nursing home.
Nameless was more proactive and I loved the speed at which the book got read.
Jim C
Apr 06, 2020 rated it it was ok
This is a short story that is part of a series. I do recommend reading the first offering first as that sets the scene and each offering afterwards can be read in any order. In this one, Nameless is after a doctor and nurse that kills their rich elderly patients for money.

At this point in the series my reaction is ho-hum. I really could copy and paste my review for the last three books. It is just a repeat of the same thing. Nameless is backed by this all powerful agency and they perform an act
Lisazj1
It's so satisfying to see the bad guys get theirs. Yeah, the series is becoming a bit formulaic because Nameless is who he is *without knowing more of him* and he does what he does. Only the who and how change. But I'm enjoying it for what is is.
John
Sep 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
Great short story

Very enjoyable short story with well developed characters and well deserved endings. will have to find the rest of this series. Highly recommended.
Shorty
Nov 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Edoardo Ballerini is the narrator.
Tom Mc Kenna
Sep 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
"When the recording concludes, the memory chip has self-erased; it can’t be replayed" (p.1). Oh how I miss the panache of Mission Impossible's old cassette recorder saying "This tape will self destruct in five seconds" after being played with a puff of smoke. Ah! but I digress. Another great installment in the Nameless series.
ChopinFC
Feb 24, 2020 rated it really liked it
4 Stars ( Excellent)

The mercy of Snakes is part of a compelling, and highly addictive series by Dean Koontz- about a highly skilled 'killer' dubbed 'Nameless'. Nameless has retrograde amnesia and does not recall anything beyond 2 years prior. 'Nameless' is a highly skilled assassin, and he acts in 'vengeance' taking odd jobs from his handler, only in the name of 'revenge'. Each tale in these short, but fast paced novellas surround a different scenario where 'nameless' is involved to right a prev
Mary
Nov 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: koontz, short-story
Number 5 in the nameless series. I like this one very much. The stories of Ace, the organization and Nameless are again serving up justice by destroying some very evil people. The actual who and circumstances of the crimes and psychopathic tilt are not at the forefront for me anymore. Evil is evil and does not grow or change. It can be gotten rid of by the Good or so I hope. In this one, I noticed more how Nameless seems. He seems to have no emotion doing or watching the deaths of the culprits. ...more
Bernard Jan
Apr 15, 2020 rated it liked it
Dean Koontz is one of my favorite authors of all times. But reading this series, I cannot connect to it. I don’t know what is wrong and why I am left indifferent. I miss the spark; I miss suspense and excitement and passion that won me over in Watchers, the first book by Dean Koontz I’ve ever read. If Nameless were the first books I’ve read from Dean Koontz, I would stop there and he wouldn’t be one of my top authors. I miss my old Koontz, and I want him back.

Dean Koontz didn’t forget to write,
David Dalton
Dec 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Who is Nameless?

We keep getting clues, but no solid leads. Who is Nameless? How did he become who he is now? Only one more Nameless short story left. Then what ? Hopefully a full length origin story.
grammarchick
Aug 29, 2020 rated it did not like it
Shelves: babycrap
Was enjoying this series until this. I always find it particularly annoying when an author has a bad guy...and they go out of their way to say the bad guy *dislikes and/or doesn't want children* like "wow, this should really tell you they're terrible!" F-k you, Dean. He never mentioned the other bad guys' feelings about kids, and there was plenty of information about the female character so we already see her as a bad guy. But he went out of his way to add information about how she disliked chil ...more
Richard
Jan 26, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: prime-reading
While I am pleased these short stories about the ‘Ace of Diamonds’ an agency that handles ‘Nameless’ a fixer, bringer of retribution and the judge, jury and executioner of those evil serial killers beyond the arm of the law, are not formulaic.
That said he arrives on a bus with an assumed name ready to be the practical embodiment of his employer’s research and terminate the evil perpetrators.
In this instalment a retirement community is too successful and impatient relatives need to speed nature a
K
Apr 15, 2020 rated it liked it
Another entry in Koontz's "Nameless" series, and though not quite as good as previous iterations, still a decent and distracting read. The rather nefarious activities conducted by the physician-owner of an assisted living facility was a bit over the top, but if you've ever visited one of these places, you might be able to conceive what Koontz has laid out.

At any rate, not much to say about the characters or plot, as they are often similar across these books. Nevertheless, I think Koontz has tapp
Romeo
Nov 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Jennifer Morin
Mar 24, 2020 rated it really liked it
Love those nasty people getting sweet justice!!
Mark Noble
Nov 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The Mercy of Snakes is the 5th story in Dean Koontz’s Nameless series. By now, the format of the story is familiar. The Ace of Diamonds has identified another evil person who manages to avoid the grip of justice. Nameless is dispatched to ensure that the truth is outed and that the evil is punished or eliminated. The villains in this story euthanize unsuspecting elderly residents in a very upscale assisted living residence that caters to wealthy patrons in Charlevoix, Michigan. Dr. Murdock Penny ...more
Stefanie
Jan 21, 2020 rated it it was ok
Nameless is at it again in this fifth book of a short story series by Dean Koontz.

This time around Nameless needs to stop a serial killer from killing the elderly in the fine estate neighborhood that he owns so their family members can get their inheritance.

This one didn’t do it for me. The concept was lost and there was no suspense or thrill in this one. Definitely my least favorite of this series so far.

One plus? Nameless seems to be remembering things, but can’t piece anything together and I
Dee Cherry
Nov 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Series continues to hold my interest as Nameless is sent to rid the world of more villains. The various settings and characters prove and are good examples that evilness occurs in all situations
Leslie
Dec 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great book. Much better then books 2, 3 & 4 in this series. Almost as good as the first book. Well done Dean Koontz. Can’t wait to complete this series. Wonderful author indeed. 😁💜 ...more
Karen
Dec 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Excellent series, enjoyed them all!!!

• Alexander X (Battle For Forever Book 1)
  • Twisted Twenty-Six (Stephanie Plum, #26)
  • All That Escapes (Lone Survivor #3)
  • The Debriefing
  • Even (Ham #2)
  • Ghoster
  • Goodbye My Precious Child (DI Sally Parker #6)
  • Loam
  • Lost Innocence (DI Sally Parker Thriller Book 5)
  • Uprising (Days of Want #4)
  • Group Fifteen Files - Volume 1 (Group Fifteen Files #1-3)
  • Play Dirty
  • Hello, Darkness
  • Fear No Truth (Faith McClellan #1)
  • Black Flagged Apex (Black Flagged, #3)
  • Longclaws
  • The Good Neighbor
  • In Her Footsteps

Dean, the author of many #1 New York Times bes

Nameless (6 books)
  • In the Heart of the Fire (Nameless #1)
  • Photographing the Dead (Nameless #2)
  • The Praying Mantis Bride (Nameless #3)
  • Red Rain (Nameless #4)
  • Memories of Tomorrow (Nameless #6)