Start by marking “The Business of Blood (The Business of Blood, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Business of Blood (The Business of Blood, #1)

The Business of Blood

(The Business of Blood #1)

London, 1890. Blood and death are Fiona Mahoney’s trade, and business, as they say, is booming.

Dying is the only thing people do with any regularity, and Fiona makes her indecorous living cleaning up after the corpses are carted away. Her childhood best friend, Mary, was the last known victim of Jack the Ripper. It’s been two years since Fiona scrubbed Mary’s blood from
Published October 20th 2019 by Ardent Publishing

To ask other readers questions about The Business of Blood, please sign up.
Nara No, but there are some romantic elements

Start your review of The Business of Blood (The Business of Blood, #1)
Kerrigan Byrne
Oct 23, 2019 is currently reading it  ·  (Review from the author)
HI YOU GUYS!!! I can't believe this but THE BUSINESS OF BLOOD is available early!

Amazon Link: https://amzn.to/2BB5n22

They told me it was too dark for a historical, too sexy for a mystery, and entirely too much blood for a female sleuth to handle... I heartily disagree. I've seen women bring about all forms of justice, and Fiona Mahoney is my tribute to them.
Stacey is Sassy
IT'S ALIVE!!

Just a wee bit of blood...

I have never reviewed anything but romance up until now and to be honest, I never expected to review anything but romance. Then, Kerrigan Byrne comes along and she tells us she wrote something that is not romance. Well, not romantic to the extent we've come to expect from her. The SHOCK!! The HORROR!! But, it’s KERRIGAN BYRNE!! So, of course, I had to give it a go.

Knowing that I was going to be exposed to a wee bit of blood…and other things, I was hesita
Curlyhairlass19
Oct 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: beta-reads
“I was no longer a lady. A woman. Or Fiona. I was a wild thing. Perhaps a killer.”

I want to be Fiona when I grow up! I love strong fierce heroines in stories, and boy did Kerrigan Byrne create the ultimate. My girl Fiona had 9 lives in this story. This book, chilled me to the bone. So much murder, mystery and intrigue. I’ve never studied Jack The Ripper so much in my life. Very fascinating, what I found on him. This story is so much extra, and is a very unique historical mystery. Not really a ro
Somia
Fiona makes her living cleaning up after the corpses are carted away, and after the murder of her best-friend Mary, 2 years ago, through her work she has been following the trail of Jack the Ripper, determined to make him pay.

This is so different to the authors HR book series ‘Victorian Rebels’, this book is not a romance, whether a that becomes a dominant theme in the books that proceed who knows but here whilst there is a thin strand of romance that pops up here and there it’s fleeting and at
Ursula
Well. This was not in the author's usual style. I have pretty much read all of Byrne's books, and this Victorian thriller is very different.

The setting is Jack the Ripper's London, a Whitechapel complete with smog, fog, stench, blood and gore. Add a touch of Gothic supernatural, a heroine who has a rather interesting job (cleaning up after death) and not one but four possible love interests, and we have this book.

I was hooked from the start, because as we all know, this lady can write. Even when
Yara
I'm going to start this review by admitting I almost quit this book a quarter of the way through. I came (fingers one inch apart) that close to just stoping because I found the story boring. It wasn't poorly written or anything, it just took time for the story to setup.

However, clearly in the end I enjoyed the story enough to give it four stars.
Timitra
Oct 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Rated 4.5 Stars

The Business of Blood is a historical mystery with a Sherlock Holmes vibe to it. It's also dark and a bit gory. I loved it. I loved the backdrop of it, the nods to literary figures and the budding romance. It's very much an enemies to lovers and office romance. It had me invested in the characters and the story from the get. I'm definitely looking forward to reading the rest of the series and highly recommend it.

Copy provided by author
Lacey (laceybooklovers)
A new Kerrigan Byrne book out in NOVEMBER!?!?
OLT
Sep 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
(4.5 stars) I've been doing lots of escape reading lately and have had my fill for the moment of romance, so I needed a palate cleanser. Funny that I should choose this book, because lemon sorbet it definitely is not. There's gruesome murder, blood and gore, and hints of Jack the Ripper in the background in this historical novel set in 1890 London. This read is not for the squeamish or the faint of heart.

The strange thing about me, though, is that I've always had a fascination with Jack the Ripp
Gi's Spot Reviews
Oct 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing

5 ‘Until The Ghosts Are Put To Rest’ Stars

Oooohhhhh, Kerrigan Byrne rocked my world with this twist on Jack The Ripper, because it’s SO MUCH more than I expected! Mind, heart and soul gripping, THE BUSINESS OF BLOOD is a full blown experience!

I tend to stay away from anything close to horror genre, but as soon as Ms. Byrne announced this book as a brand new Historical Mystery I wanted to jump right in. Being a huge retelling fan, I could only imagine how e
Oct 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Stacie
3 1/2 "Bloody Business" Stars!

Well, first of I have to say, this was not a romance. It's a mystery/thriller. Without the romance thrown in, mystery/thrillers are not really my thing. However! I absolutely love Kerrigan Byrne. Her style was all over this story. Plus there was some chemistry between Fiona and a few male characters actually.

Speaking of Fiona, I loved her. She was an unconventional woman. Especially in 1890. She was smart and brave and loyal.

The actual mystery was good. There were
☕️Kimberly
May 03, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio-2020
I love slipping into a story when there is a serial killer afoot. Especially when there is a possibility involves Jack the Ripper. Byrne delivered a fast-paced murder mystery with plenty of twists, unusual characters and a feisty, stubborn heroine.

When Fiona cleans up a grizzly murder scene, she realizes it is eerily similar to Jack’s style. Could he be back? The location is just a few doors down from Mary’s home. Fiona gets the itch to investigate. Inspector Grayson Croft warns Fiona off, but F
Robin Loves Reading
Fiona Mahoney is what is now referred to as a forensic cleaner. She cleans up after crime scenes. No matter how gruesome. No matter how bloody. That is why this book is so named, The Business of Blood. Tragically, the more murders that take place, the busier Fiona is.

A man has been brutally murdered . While Fiona is on the scene she quickly notices that the current victtim's body was left in such a way to instantly make her think of a gruesome series of murders, committed by none other tha
SheLove2Read
There was a lot about this book that sets it apart from the glut of historicals out there right now. Some other reviews I've read compared it to the Kat Holloway mysteries, so that intrigued me enough to pick this up, but for me there was no comparison. I didn't love Fiona, and at times I found her behavior completely unrealistic. Not a series I'll be continuing.
Bex | TotallyBex.com
Not for the faint of heart, Kerrigan Bryne’s foray into murder mystery is as gripping as it is macabre. 1890s London, a city still reeling with fear in the wake of Jack the Ripper, is the perfect backdrop for the intrepid heroine, Fiona Mahoney. She’s in the ‘business of blood’ as a Post-Mortem Sanitation Specialist who happens to be intimately acquainted with the horrific aftermath of The Ripper.

Not only is Fiona involved in a deadly game of cat and mouse with the infamous killer, she’s also up
imanreads
Best Book of 2019, not Best HR, Best Book, Period.
My sole five stars of 2019. This book is just brilliant.
I was done reading it one month ago and it still lives with me, I dont know how I am supposed to wait another year to get my hands on the next one....
Dísir
Nov 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Taking place smack in the aftermath of the Ripper murders in the most squalid bits of London, ‘The Business of Blood’ follows an intrepid Fiona Mahoney who has somehow managed to eke a place out for herself as the clean-up crew of wet work, keeping company with questionable characters just so she can live decently. But it’s also one that has put her on a path of investigation and ultimately revenge: to search out the Ripper who’d torn up her friend 2 years prior, up until she tangles with law en ...more
Nancy
Oct 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I literally could not stop reading this book, it was that wonderful. I read it in one day. It is unapologetically dark and violent. The characters are not black and white or good and evil, they're all of that and more. I enjoyed the multilayered mysteries within the book. The male characters are all fascinating in their own imperfect ways. Fiona is a terrific heroine. Like any great mystery, I was on the edge of my seat while reading the climax. I really hope there will be more books!
Keri
Oct 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
KB really went out on a limb here and boy am I glad she did. I really liked our heroine, but boy does her milkshake bring all the boys to her yard. :-) Get your mind out of the gutter! She is a historical Post Mortem Sanitation Engineer, Crime Scene Clean up Regency style, so of course all the mens call on her when there is a dead body about. She is an enigma for sure and she has feelings for 4 guys, a hunky police detective, a Jewish crime lord, an American Indian assassin and she still has fee ...more
Elodie
Oct 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
THE BUSINESS OF BLOOD
In The Business of Blood Series #1
Kerrigan Byrne
Release date 11/07/2019

Blurb :

♥Rachel♥
Wished for more in the romance department, but off to a good start.

Loved Justine Eyre's narration!
Jenn
To say I love Kerrigan Byrne's historical romances would be an understatement. To say I'm not a fan of blood and guts would also be an understatement. However, when you combine those two, I get over the second fact right quick and jump all over this.

This story is just perfect for this time of year. A murder mystery surrounding Jack the Ripper is just what this season needs.

Fiona spends her days and night cleaning up after death. It's not a luxurious job but someone has to do it. She uses this j
Tracy DeNeal
Nov 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
She Did It Again

Kerrigan Byrne has successfully captured me and immersed me in a third world of hers!

First with “The Highwayman” in her Victorian Rebels series, I became hopelessly enraptured. Second along comes the series premiere of “How to Love a Duke in Ten Days.” Now? “The Business of Blood.”

Fiona Mahoney is such an interesting and strong lead for this series. I love that no one is completely innocent here, not even the main character. Everyone has something shadowing them. Some bit of “bl
Minx
Dec 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
The Business of Blood is a chilling story that is not for the weak of stomach nor the weak of heart. Fiona Mahoney was a woman who had very few options afforded to her. When she first immigrated to America, it was to join her friend Mary and become a prostitute but once she saw what that reality entailed, she decided that she had to come up with a different plan, quick, fast, and in a hurry.

To meet her financial needs, Fiona started an 1890’s version of a crime scene cleanup service. In her mind
Leona
This review was originally posted at my website, Leona Woolfolk*I received this book for free from Author in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.
When I learned that one of my favorite authors was coming with a story that was a play on the Jack the Ripper story I was all for it. I also loved that instead of a male lead for the story Byrne chose to have a female character that works in a male dominated career as her MC (main charac
Shoshanna Ford
Oct 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This might be the best book I have ever read in my whole life, and I've read a LOT of books. I mean, wow. This book is amazing.

This book has absolutely everything you could possibly want. Tantalizing touches of romance are woven through a horrifying tale full of drama and intrigue in Kerrigan Byrne's signature flawless narrative. I honestly could not look away from this book. I spent the last several hours curled up with this book, and I regret nothing. Unputdownable does not even come close to
romancebookjunkie
Nov 22, 2019 rated it liked it
Straight away I wanted to read this book because I love KB and I’m also slightly obsessed with Jack The Ripper who is mentioned in this book and shapes the heroine’s life. This book is definitely not romance so I can’t rate it as such (as well as there being little of any romance) so in comparison to other murder mysteries it falls a little short but yet I still want to continue with the series? So hear me out while I muddle through my thoughts.

Our heroine lost her best friend to Jack The Ripper
Joee (booksandacupofjoee)
*3.5 stars*

This was a dark, historic, mysterious story about a fierce, independent woman who cleans up after murders and finds herself in many bloody scenes. I really enjoyed it but there were a couple things I was a little bummed about.

The romance overall was barely there. I saw some sparks but wanted something to happen. It wasn't as sexy as I expected. I needed more heat.🔥

It was definitely a little slower paced at times. While I thought the whole Jack the Ripper stuff was super interesting a
Erin
Sep 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
A bloody (pun intended) excellent job of Kerrigan Byrne stepping out of romance and into mystery. Fiona is one of the best characters I've read in ages. Be warned the writing is VERY descriptive and the murder scenes can turn a sensitive stomach.

I HIGHLY recommend listening to the audiobook. The narrator is amazing!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• Which Witch is Which? (The Witches of Port Townsend #1)
  • Murder at Queen's Landing (Wrexford & Sloane, #4)
  • The Devil of Downtown (Uptown Girls, #3)
  • Murder in the East End (Kat Holloway Mysteries #4)
  • Love Bites (Tails from the Alpha Art Gallery, #1)
  • Wild, Wild Rake (The Cavensham Heiresses #6)
  • The Prince of Broadway (Uptown Girls, #2)
  • No Stone Unturned (The Lucy Lawrence Mysteries, #1)
  • The Fall of Legend (Legend Trilogy, #1)
  • The Beast of Beswick (Everleigh Sisters, #1)
  • A Raven's Heart (Secrets & Spies, #2)
  • Daring and the Duke (The Bareknuckle Bastards, #3)
  • To Catch an Earl (Bow Street Bachelors, #2)
  • Dangerous Games (Dangerous Beauty, #3)
  • The Fateful Marriage (Lady Fan Mystery Book 6)
  • The Making of a Highlander (Midnight in Scotland, #1)
  • This Earl of Mine (Bow Street Bachelors, #1)
  • The Minx Who Met Her Match (The Brethren #4)
If you're anything like me, the best night is one spent with a brawny highlander, a mysterious werewolf, a conflicted vampire, or a hot-headed Irishman. My stories span the spectrum of romantic fiction from historical, to paranormal, to romantic suspense. But I can always promise my readers one thing: memorable and sexy Celtic heroes who are guaranteed to heat your blood before they steal your hea ...more

The Business of Blood (3 books)
  • A Treacherous Trade (The Business of Blood, #2)
  • A Vocation of Violence (The Business of Blood, #3)