Start by marking “The Master Spy: The Story of Kim Philby” as Want to Read:
The Master Spy: The Story of Kim Philby

The Master Spy: The Story of Kim Philby

As British liaison officer to the CIA & FBI in 1949, Kim Philby held a position at the heart of the Western intelligence war against the Soviets. The quintessential Englishman, Philby was also an officer in the KGB. Here is the story that Philby revealed to the only Western journalist he trusted. 16 pages of photos.
Published March 25th 1989 by Alfred A. Knopf (NY) (first published 1988)

To ask other readers questions about The Master Spy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Master Spy

Heidi
Bought this at a second-hand bookshop in Brisbane, because Philby was one of the Cambridge Four, and I loved the TV Show Cambridge Spies. The real story of Philby as presented in this book is even more thrilling than the TV (although the "Four" were far less connected in real life, which spoils the story a little). And of course, the focus is on Philby, rather than split between them, although Burgess, MacLean and Blunt all get their moments (less Blunt than I would have liked, but that's just t ...more
Erik Graff
Jul 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: espionage fans
Recommended to Erik by: no one
Shelves: biography
This is a sympathetic biography of 'Kim' Philby, a KGB agent since the thirties and the most successful of the Cambridge spies who penetrated the British Foreign Office, MI5, MI6 and, through them, the American CIA and FBI through World War II and well into the Cold War. So successful were they in relaying secrets to the Soviets that it may have been better had the UK and USA not bothered withholding information from them during the war years.

In addition to portraying such a traitor as Philby wi
Ironman Ninetytwo
Jul 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: history
When I first read this umpteen years ago, it took me forever because it was so ~~~tedious~~~. I didn't find it tedious this time; it was kind of poignant. Philby seems to be a pretty true believer, if unbelievably full of himself and so harmful to his friends, even those who knew he was a spy. He had a way with women, much to their ultimate chagrin I am sure.
FiveBooks
Mar 02, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Veteran foreign correspondent Richard Beeston has chosen to discuss Phillip Knightley's The Master Spy: The Story of Kim Philby on FiveBooks on his list of five books on Spies, Lies and Foreign correspondents, saying that:

"Knightley says he’s the only Western journalist to interview Philby in depth after his defection to the Soviet Union in 1963. The book describes Philby as ‘an establishment figure who betrayed the West, who decided to go against his class and his upbringing for what he belie
Ann
Jan 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: espionage
With the renewed interest in Kim Philby triggered by the hugely successful "A Spy Among Friends", I thought it would be interesting to read this book, as it is often quoted in ASAF. It was written by a British journalist who not only corresponded with Philby, but actually got to meet him and interview him extensively in Moskow in the 1980s. This was also the period when many secret documents were first being released, and so the story was being gradually pieced together. Similarly, there were st ...more
Colin Mitchell
A book based on a series of interviews with Philby in Moscow before his death. It didn't seem to say more than any number of similar books on the subject of spies who penetrated the British and Us security services from the 1930's through to the 1960's. My view is that these accounts seek to lionise the traitors and justify their actions. In Philby's case which sent many agents to their deaths. Unfortunately, it also says much about the lax vetting and recruitment practices.

This book is well pre
Mister Responsible
The amazing story of Kim Philby -- who was in charge of an important section of the British secret service, and who was also a spy for the Soviets. I didn't know anything about Kim Philby before reading some British cold war history recently, and I was amazed that I had never heard about him, either in popular culture or in school. (I grew up in the 1980's, when the Soviet Union was still around and people were still afraid of its influence in the world.)

Alex
Aug 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Great read. Author does a good job telling the story of Philby's life, alternating back and forth from the story of Philby's early life and his final interview in Moscow years after he had defected to the USSR. This enables Knightley to not only tell the narrative story, but allows Philby to comment on his motivations at key moments in his own life story. Really enjoyed this read.
Carlos Santos
Mar 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
The books get's off to a slow start just like a tank but by the time you get rolling it's unstoppable. Such a remarkable real life story about a remarkable individual. I can't get enough recounts of this time period, so exciting in many ways. I thoroughly enjoyed the read.
Aggie Herda
May 29, 2014
Matthew Kresal
Jul 24, 2011
David Carter
rated it did not like it
Feb 15, 2009

• Battleground Berlin: CIA vs. KGB in the Cold War
  • Whittaker Chambers: A Biography
  • Betrayal: The Story of Aldrich Ames, an American Spy
  • KGB: The Inside Story of Its Foreign Operations from Lenin to Gorbachev
  • The Brother: The Untold Story of Atomic Spy David Greenglass and How He Sent His Sister, Ethel Rosenberg, to the Electric Chair
  • The Life and Times of Chaucer
  • Every Spy a Prince: The Complete History of Israel's Intelligence Community
  • The Cold War: A History
  • My Life in CIA: A Chronicle of 1973
  • Firewall: The Iran-Contra Conspiracy and Cover-up
  • The Conservative Nanny State: How the Wealthy Use the Government to Stay Rich and Get Richer
  • J. Edgar Hoover: The Man and the Secrets
  • A Question of Torture: CIA Interrogation from the Cold War to the War on Terror
  • Diné Bahane': The Navajo Creation Story
Phillip Knightley was a special correspondent for The Sunday Times for 20 years (1965-85) and one of the leaders of its Insight investigative team. He was twice named Journalist of the Year (1980 and 1988) in the British Press Awards. He and John Pilger are the only journalists ever to have won it twice.

He was also Granada Reporter of the Year (1980), Colour Magazine Writer of the Year (1982), hol