Start by marking “Nightmare Asylum & Other Deadly Delights” as Want to Read:
Nightmare Asylum & Other Deadly Delights

Nightmare Asylum & Other Deadly Delights

Nightmare Asylum – Despised by day, tortured by night.A midwifery student’s life disintegrates into a terrifying nightmare, after a disturbing encounter with the notorious child killer, Evelyn Green. Dark secrets from Lydia’s past unleash a truth that conjures her fears into unspeakable horror. Other Deadly Delights – Tales from the psychotically unsound and deadly deluded ...more
Published February 28th 2020 by Close To The Bone Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Nightmare Asylum & Other Deadly Delights, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Nightmare Asylum & Other Deadly Delights

Start your review of Nightmare Asylum & Other Deadly Delights
M.  [storme reads a lot]
Jul 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
If you want some creepy and intense stories, this is the collection for you. It starts off with a shocker, and it will keep you gripped the whole time you decide to step into the asylum.

The stories are so creepy, I could not sleep after. There are so many topics covered, you are sure to find something that will resound in your nightmares. I liked all of the stories, and I would definitely recommend this to all of my friends who enjoy horror.

This is a great on the go book because t he short stori
Bob/Sally
Jul 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: female-author, horror
Horror, more than any other genre, lends itself to short stories so perfectly. There’s no dragging things on and overstaying the welcome. Instead, we’re intrigued, hooked, surprised, and satisfied in short measure, ensuring maximum impact.

Nightmare Asylum and other Deadly Delights collects 18 stories, some as short as just a few pages, that pick at the scabs and scars of all-too-human horror.

Nightmare Asylum and Spectral Warning, the two creepy asylum stories, were far-and-away my favorites in t
The Coycaterpillar Reads
Anyone that has stuck around long enough knows that horror is my favourite genre, and I will lap up anything that is creepy, haunted, or plain dark. I love a good horror short story collection and the opportunity to review this was an extremely exciting prospect. There are eighteen stories in all, and they all fall within the realms of horror, thriller, and suspense. I always think it’s especially hard to review a collection of stories because there is always going to be ones you love and ones t ...more
Ernest Russell
May 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Nightmare Asylum and Other Deadly Delights by Sonia Kilvington starts at the cover. Your eye is drawn ever deeper upon viewing the cover art by Craig Douglas. This book, like the fabled abyss, will stare back at you as Sonia Kilvington plumbs the essential nature of human relationships. For these stories are not uplifting, Chicken Soup for the Soul, no, these stories are much more Charles Addams style. You see, each of these stories strips away normal. To quote Charles Addams –“Normal is an illu ...more
Christine F.
May 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
“Nightmare Asylum and Other Deadly Delights”—Sonia Kilvington [4 stars ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️] This was fast-paced and addicting, and I flew through this in just one sitting. This was a collection of short stories that contained horror, paranormal, and sci-fi elements and all were creepy in their own way. Some stories I enjoyed more than others, and my favorite was the opening story “Nightmare Asylum,” and I wish this one could have been longer. It told about a midwifery student and how her life turned into a ...more
S
Jul 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Nightmare Asylum and other Deadly Delights is a book of eighteen short stories all based around psychological thrillers and horror.

The book had me gripped from the very first page to the very last page with its twist and turns it left me in suspense to the very end. Unlike some books that abruptly end with no explanation this book was enjoyble and easy to follow. I found all stories interesting and my attention was held all throughout the book.

I recommend not just the book but also the author.
 Reading Reindeer Cobwebbed
A great collection of stories here. In divergent genres. My particular favorites are:

The eponymous tale, "Nightmare Asylum": even cautious rereading doesn't reveal: What is Truth? Who is Righteous and Who is Culpable? Nightmare or Reality?

"Women's Work": oh my, my. Gory, sadistic, deliciously twisted. So good.

"Jake": wow. Twisted in a deadly fashion. I think of certain couples accused in true crimes: how we wonder "How could they? How could SHE?" This story could offer one possible answer.

"I Wis
Michelle Whitham (curled_up_with_a_good_book)
A compilation of short stories, Nightmare Asylum and other Deadly Delights takes you on a trip through various genres, starting with the brilliant Nightmare Asylum which kicks the book of with a bang, and an almighty twist!

There are stories on abduction, murder, stalking, motherly obsession, revenge, love struck obsessive robots, blackmail, paranoia and ghostly apparitions. Some of the stories were so creepy, and others I couldn’t believe what I was reading!

Nightmare Asylum, the cleaner, the dr
K.A. Laity
Apr 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This collection of stories is shot through with a gothic ambience of darkness, disease and madness in the clinical sense. From its opening story death is always close by, reading to lay a cold hand on someone's neck. The tales seldom wander far from the haunted corridors of the Asylum -- proving you can change the name and the purpose but the horrors that happened there leave echoes that reverberate for a very long time.

Women wronged -- and most often the men who wronged them (this is gothic hor
Lindsey
Jul 13, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: blog-tours
3.5/5 stars

Thank you to Blackthorn Book Tours for my free copy in exchange for an honest review. All opinions are my own.

Short story collections are always so hard to review so I end up kicking myself a bit every time I agree to review one, but they’re so much fun! This was one I couldn’t resist based on the title alone. I’ve always been fascinated by horror revolving around asylums, probably because they actually were so horrific in the past. That being said, I wish more of the stories did invo
Tony Parsons
Apr 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Nightmare Asylum 5-20
I awoke from my nightmare.
OK. The expectant mothers complained about Grey Memorial Asylum Hospital being kind of creepy.
Everyone knew about Evelyn Green (13, patient, child killer).

Bad reputation 21-22
Kate watched as Josie came running into the room covered in blood.

Women’s work 23-29
Claire (wife) had moved out west.
Mr. Tinder was what he wanted me to call him.
Spending time in his basement was not fun.
The camp bed springs were not comfortable.
I was Mr. Tinder’s hostage clea
Angel White
Jul 04, 2020 rated it liked it
⭐⭐⭐💫
Filled with scary & odd short stories this one makes a good addition to any Spooktober TBR. With 18 different stories ranging from an asylum to killers to stalkers it has a little something for everyone to be afraid of.

While I wasn't the least bit scared when reading, this doesn't take away from the book itself. I'm read a lot of horror and thriller books so short stories like this don't bother me.

Some of the stories didn't make any sense as to why they were included. There were a couple tha
Marnie | Once Upon a Time Book Blog
Jun 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2020
After I had finished watching a great documentary on one of my favourite directors Alfred Hitchcock, it was time for me to get settled in and start this book. What I realised quite quickly, was how this documentary fitted in so well in this book’s tone and how these short stories Sonia has created (albeit more sinister and creepy) reminded me of the TV show Alfred Hitchcock Presents. Even as I started each story, I had the theme music of the show playing around in my head as the introduction!

To
Julie
An interesting set of stories designed to spook and disturb.

My expectations were high for this horror anthology that simply fell very short.

I received this novel for free in return for an honest review.

Full review here:
Kimberly
Apr 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
Nightmare Asylum & Other Deadly Delights by Sonia Kilvington is a collection of 18 short stories. Overall, I enjoyed all the stories except 4 (Disappearing Act, Paranoid, The Gatekeeper of Memories and Winter Baby. These 4 I would only give 2 stars too.) I enjoyed how most were just that perfect amount of creepy. Wished a couple of the stories, like Nightmare Asylum was more than just the short story. A good, easy, fast and creepy read.

Thank you to BookSirens for the free digital copy in exchang
The Horror Report -Angela
This book is a collection of short stories sent to me by the most awesome people ever at Blackthorn Book Tours. There are eighteen stories in this collection. They are ALL horror, thriller and suspense type stories. They are put together kind of like an anthology, which I always like.

Here is the blurb for the book:

Nightmare Asylum – Despised by day, tortured by night. A midwifery student’s life disintegrates into a terrifying nightmare, after a disturbing encounter with the notorious child kille
Katrina Hart
My Review of Nightmare Asylum and other Deadly Delights by Sonia Kilvington

Nightmare Asylum and other Deadly Delights is a book of short story full of dark fantasy, deep routed psychological fascinations, and the twisted times when asylums were full of people committed for disturbing acts and emotional states of mind. I really enjoyed each story because I think the author got into the mind of characters’ dark thought and emotional attachment and helped the reader not only see the terrible acts s
Anastasia
Jul 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is one cool book! I was given a copy by Blackthorn Book Tours in exchange for an honest review - neat!

It is a book of short stories by a woman who seems to know even more about the dark side than I do. Scary stuff and some great female leads with a badass approach to sorting out life's problems. (I took notes.... Her women seemed to get away with it mostly, but she's from Europe and I've heard they do things differently there. I'll be careful.)

Best story? "I wish you a happy death day" -
Gary Duncan
Apr 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I thoroughly enjoyed this fast-paced, eclectic mix of paranormal, noir and psychological horror flash fictions.
There’s some heavy stuff here — creeps, stalkers, blackmailers, child killers — but the stories are still very “human”. Deep down, they’re about the lonely and the vulnerable — about sibling rivalry, night terrors and the loss of a child — and the author very skilfully undercuts them with empathy and understanding.
For me, there are two standouts.
“Perfect Love” is a cleverly constructe
Dana
Jul 11, 2020 rated it liked it
Did you read Scary Stories to tell in the Dark as a kid? I did and loved them. I loved their dark and macabre nature and the abrupt often startling endings. Sonia Kilvington brings us the adult version of those stories. Haunting and dark, Nightmare Asylum will twist your mind and leave you wanting for more after the jaw dropping twist. The anthology continues with tale after tale of creepy stories that leave that unsettled tickle in your brain.

Short stories are not my regular go-to and in this c
Holly Garcia
Mar 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: women-in-horror
I loved this collection of short stories, as each one is so unique. Sonia Kilvington did a great job of assigning each one its own “feel” and each character their own voice. The title story, “Nightmare Asylum” is a fantastically creepy story with a great twist that I didn’t see coming. It’s one of those stories that makes you immediately return to the beginning and re-read it all over again. “Women’s Work” and “Cry Baby” were also favorites of mine. “Deadly Desire” had so much story packed into ...more
Dave Williams
Jul 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
Recently, I’ve read stories with men as the main characters, so it was a good change to read short stories with women as the leads. And this book has many stories, clocking in at 18. Several of them are quite short: one or two pages that make for swift reads.

An undercurrent in this book is men behaving badly. Men make for a bad boss for a maid, men are stalkers, men are murderous husbands, men are obsessive hackers. Which is not to say the stories are monotonous. Nope. Sometimes the protagonist
Becky Baldridge
Jul 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
This collection of short stories by Sonia Kilvington is a bit different than what I expected. Not bad, mind you, just different. The stories are a combination of creepy, sinister, strange, unusual, and anything in between. Some clicked with me a little more than others, some thoroughly creeped me out, and some left me scratching my head, but they were all entertaining. This is my first experience with Kilvington, and I really liked the writing style, so I will come back for more. All in all, thi ...more
J.E. Friend
May 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
Nightmare Asylum & Other Deadly Delights is an interesting collection of short stories that are twisted and dark. Each one drags the reader into the mouldy crevasses of horror, with surprises along the path. I definitely had favourites among the stories and some I didn’t care for as much. For example Nightmare Asylum could have been longer, I glad it was the first story in the book as how well it was written was what moved me along.

Thank you to BookSirens for a free digital copy in exchange for
Iseult Murphy
Jul 11, 2020 rated it liked it
I applaud the author for trying out new things and different writing styles with her stories. Two of the stories are set in Ireland, and as an Irish person, I found the setting very convincing.
Unfortunately, this collection was not for me. I would class these stories as mundane horror, where the horror comes from the fact of being stalked, or mentally ill, or married to an unpleasant man. I’m sure plenty of readers will connect with these tales, but they weren’t for me.
I received a free copy f
Billie
Jul 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is a brilliant read.
Wonderful well written plot and story line that had me engaged from the start.
Love the well fleshed out characters and found them believeable.
Great suspense and action with wonderful world building.
Can't wait to read what the author brings out next.
Recommend reading.

I read a complimentary advance copy of the book; this is my voluntary and honest review.
Lynne Piza
Mar 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely LOVED this book! Being a busy mum it was perfect to pick up here and there and be able to read a story in such a short time! What I enjoyed about the stories is that each one is completely different and you jump straight in the middle of the action, no messing around you get straight to the exciting bit! Can’t wait for more from this author!
Lydia P.  Morgan
May 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
(Finally got round to writing a review)

Anyway, when reading this book, I couldn't help but imagine myself sat in an abandon, Victorian mansion in front of a fire while the eerie wind howls and beats against the window shutters. Sonia is an incredibly talented writer, who knows how to weave a truly sinister story within a matter of few paragraphs. You'll be second guessing every one's intentions after reading some of these stories, especially those you feel you should be able to trust the most. M
Katherine E. Soto
Jun 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Move over author Alfred Hitchcock; a modern author has written a collection of modern stories much in your style. The stories often match up in subjects as the reader flows through from one story to another. It is a spooky read through some of them and down right terrifying in others. She writes the stories to snare the reader into the depths of the characters, then springs a twist into the story that leaves the reader breathless.

I enjoyed the various stories written in this book. I find the wri
c hogg
Mar 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
It was a great read! Some very unusual stories. The first story was very scary and atmospheric and the ghost story was excellent.

• Under Your Skin
  • Come Join the Murder
  • It Calls From The Forest: An Anthology of Terrifying Tales from the Woods Volume 1
  • Leash and Other Horror Stories
  • The Guest List
  • The House Party
  • Blood Orange
  • Mystery at Seagrave Hall (Eve Mallow Mystery #3)
  • Death at the Dance (A Lady Eleanor Swift Mystery #2)
  • The Drop
  • Never Ever Tell
  • Crackle and Fire
  • You Beneath Your Skin
  • Dead Perfect
  • Murder at the Playhouse (A Miss Underhay Mystery #3)
  • The Silent Dolls (Detective Ellie Reeves #1)
  • What Lies Between Us
Sonia Kilvington is a journalist and fiction writer from the beautiful Mediterranean island of Cyprus. She has published many articles, travel features, short stories and interviews in glossy magazines. She loves to write dark and disturbing short stories in genres such as noir, crime, ghost and Sci-fi. Her online writing credits include Out of the Gutter Online, Spelk fiction, Pulp Metal Magazine ...more