Start by marking “The Plastic Dinos of Doom (Iggy & Oz #1)” as Want to Read:
The Plastic Dinos of Doom (Iggy & Oz #1)

The Plastic Dinos of Doom

(Iggy & Oz #1)

What if hundreds of plastic toy dinosaurs suddenly came to life- Could you find a way to stop them...?

Iggy Risner is your typical wise-cracking twelve year old. When his younger brother, Oz, wakes him in the middle of the night claiming he heard a monster in the attic, Iggy takes him upstairs to prove him wrong. But instead of a flesh-eating beast, they discover hundreds
Published September 17th 2019 by Dark Sided Geeks

To ask other readers questions about The Plastic Dinos of Doom, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Plastic Dinos of Doom

Start your review of The Plastic Dinos of Doom (Iggy & Oz #1)
Jypsy
Dec 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Thank you Just Read Tours for a complimentary copy. I voluntarily reviewed this book. All opinions expressed are my own.

Iggy And Oz:
The Plastic Dinos Of Doom
By: J. J. Johnson

*MY REVIEW* 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟
I read Iggy And Oz with my ten year old son, and he has also written a review. This story is just adorable and a lot of fun. It is perfect for middle grade readers-a mystery, siblings working together, humor and a unique premise. I love the imaginative plot using common toys that most kids have played with
Abigail
I mean, us kids all care about our parents. But if they saw what us kids saw, they wouldn’t be able to handle it. Let’s face it. Moms and dads lack an imagination.

What an utterly delightful little book. Complete with all the whimsy of childhood, strange goings-on under the grown-ups noses, and unlikely friendships, this is the perfect story for kids 8 and up, or for kids-at-heart who just want to escape the real world for an afternoon. Iggy and Oz were both fun characters, I love their relatio
June Jacobs
Oct 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
The author does a fine job of introducing his characters and setting the scene for the story in the beginning of the book. Iggy, the main character and narrator, is a 12-year-old boy who likes to write stories in the journal/diary his mother gave to him. His younger brother, Oz, is nine years old and was adopted from China.

They live in Whispering Pines, "a sprawling gated community," where the majority of the action takes places. Neighborhood kids are introduced throughout the story. Some are fr
Suzie Waltner
Oct 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This fun and imaginative middle grade book features brothers with unique names and the adventure they find in their neighborhood when their plastic toy dinosaurs come to life and escape the attic.
Mostly told from twelve-year-old Iggy’s point of view, with some humorous interjections from Oz as only a little brother can add, this story is sure to captivate young readers with its humor, side notes, and dino danger.

J. J. Johnson captures some of the struggles of youth—bullying, annoying (yet lovabl
Toya (the reading chemist)
Dec 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Middle grade never ceases to amaze me with the wild and crazy stories that encompass the genre.

Iggy & Oz: The Plastic Dinos of Doom follows the lives of brothers Iggy & Oz who discover that the plastic toy dinosaurs in their attic have come to life like something out of Jurassic Park meets Toy Story.

Packed with adventure and adventure, this story will sure to please all ages. I loved the sibling bond that Iggy and Oz shared and then working together to solve the mystery at hand. The plot is im
Inspirationalfictionreader
Sep 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This story proves you’re never too old for a great middle grade read! I loved this story! It is perfectly paced, entertaining, and so funny- especially the banter between Iggy and Oz! I laughed out loud through the entire story! I could just picture Iggy and Oz and their friends running around the neighborhood trying to find plastic dinosaurs that had somehow come to life! And, the parents, seen through the eyes of the kids was spot on funny! If you have kids or you are a teacher, I highly recom ...more
Sydney
Dec 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
J.J. Johnson has written a cute story that brings to life the very active imagination of two brothers and their friends. This story is told from the view point of twelve-year-old Iggy, with some funny inserts every now and again from his younger brother Oz. Not only does Johnson bring to life the active imagination of kids, but also some real-life experiences and relationships with parents and peers, including friendship and bullying. This is a great read for any middle grader ready for a dinosa ...more
Leslie M.
Mar 24, 2020 rated it really liked it
This is the first book I've read by Johnson, and I look forward to reading more!

I used to teach the target age group, and I wish there had been more books like this for me to use with my students. I'm well beyond Middle Grade, and I really enjoyed it! The pace and dialogue were perfect, and there were so many humorous moments that I was chuckling throughout. I loved the relationship between Iggy and Oz. This book is so imaginative!

Angela Walker
Oct 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I received a digital copy of this novel from the author via JustReadTours. All opinions are my own, any review is voluntary.

The story is layed out like journal entries. Most of the chapters were told from Iggy's POV titled 'Captain's Log'. Occasionally we'll hear from Oz under chapters titled 'Wizard's Log' to clarify any exaggerations Iggy may have added. Iggy and Oz seem like typical boys getting into trouble.

There is a short preface that I initially thought was from the author on how he cam
Erin
Dec 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: justread-tours
My Thoughts on Iggy and Oz:
This is such a sweet little children’s book! It’s cute and captivating and something that definitely captures their interest. The graphics are super cute and colorful.

I read this book to my three-year-old. Let’s be honest here. I lost count a long time ago about how many times I read this book to my three-year-old. he loves dinosaurs and often watches a popular show about them. So for him to have a book about them now is making him over the moon excited.

We highly recom
Robin E. Mason
Oct 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Such a fun story! Written in Iggy’s voice—with occasional interjections from Oz—the telling is delightful and suspenseful and comical. I truly felt like I was tagging along as they pursued their prey. Or at least listening to Iggy as he related their adventures.
The suspense builds as the children search for the wayward dinos, who leave a trail of disaster wherever they go. Interaction between the kids was spot on, importance of the task and excitement of the challenge before them, laughter at di
Connie Carpenter
Dec 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
When I selected this book for review, I had my 8 year old in mind. I did not realize that it would be loved by myself, my 8 and 6 year old. This book is narrated by Izzy. He is a 12 year old boy with a younger brother named Oz. This book had us laughing out loud. I love how the author deals with some topics that 12 and 9 year olds face. This includes: Parental relationships (and the fear of waking your parents when they are sleeping), bullying, and what to do with annoying friends. (We love them ...more
Jane
Dec 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: middle-school
My Review
Elements of Iggy and Oz: The Plastic Dinos of Doom remind me of The Indian in the Cupboard or Toy Story with the idea of toys coming to life. JJ Johnson seems to understand the behavior of older elementary boys as it is incorporated into the story line. The plot doesn’t have much depth and the fantasy elements could have been made more believable. As an adult reader I wasn’t quite sure if this was a story made up by one of the characters or if it actually happened within the author’s s
Amanda  H
Oct 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book was such a fun story that brought me back to childhood and some of the stories I enjoyed when I was 9-10. I loved that Iggy and Oz's adventure is reminiscent of stories like The Indian in the Cupboard while being totally original and unique. Since I was close to my siblings growing up, I appreciated the sibling banter between Iggy and Oz, how Oz keeps his brother in line by interjecting his thoughts into the story. There is some kid humor, but it isn't offensive or over the top. I like ...more
Jason C.
Sep 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: middle-grade
This is a fun, quick read for boys and girls in the middle grade reading level.

When 12 year old Iggy is awakened by his younger brother Oz who's worried about monsters, Iggy goes to the attic to prove him wrong. Except he finds their toy dinosaurs have come to life.

Now Iggy, Oz, and their friends must stop a plastic dinos rampage through the neighborhood, while staying out of trouble and avoiding the neighborhood bully.

This is a great book for readers and non-readers. It is a quick, fun read t
Rebekah Gyger
Dec 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
As a story for boys, I think this is a good one. It encourages brothers to play with each other, even if they find the other annoying, and has a lot of humor that kids that age will enjoy. Sometimes the best part about reading a book for a child is hearing their reactions, even if it is "yuck!". And for the adults, there are references to stories that we grew up with.

I do wish that there had been a little more to the children coming up with their plan for stopping the dinos, but then this also r
Kristina
Nov 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Really fun book, I enjoyed reading it my kids and they enjoyed the adventures of Iggy and Oz. It was really fun to see the dino's come to life and their attacks on the neighborhood. The two brothers were so sweet and so brotherly.
My boys especially enjoyed listening to me read the story to them. As I first started reading the book I didn't know what to expect because the beginning keeps you guessing you don't know if this is going to be just the boys dreaming or what could actually be in the at
Dec 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic kids book! I had such fun reading this along with my 8 year old daughter. She couldn't wait to find out what would happen to Iggy & Oz next and immediately begged for the next book as soon as we finished this one. We loved this so much that we bought another copy to give as a birthday present. A definite must if you have an elementary or middle school aged child to buy for! ...more
Alysha (For The Love of Christian Fiction)
If you’ve got any young readers in your home, this would be such a great read for them!!

It will take their imagination to new levels and spark fun ideas in their mind.

It’s the perfect length too. I have a feeling once your kiddo gets a taste of “Iggy & Oz”, they’ll be ready for more fun, strange adventures!

*I received this book from the author**All opinions are my own*
Abbi
Oct 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Fun little middle grade book that I’m sure young readers will love! It was a cute read that I enjoyed despite the fact that I’m an adult. If you’re looking for a entertaining read for a kid in your life this one is sure to be a winner!
C.O. Bonham
Apr 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Plastic Jurassic Park.

This book was an enjoyable read even as a single adult. While I'm sure kids will absolutely love the absurdly of plastic dinosaurs coming to life, adults will find plenty of references to childhood favorites to keep you entertained. Everything from Scooby Doo jokes to an Indian in the cupboard reference.

Iggy is a humorous narrator who's parents seem to be raising him to be a first class geek. I love his references and his off topic asides.

This is the first book to a series
Edem
Apr 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Beyonce 's.You should have just started the first half of it is also an option in my head

Robina up and I will call me at my mom's car 🚗and I will be able to go back home and I have to say about this?the first time that I am going on vacation for you guys want me there irony,which has been an issue,but they were going on,and then😚🤐🙁😁🤐😙😁😚😁😐🤗😝😏😝😣😯😜😣😣🙃😪😏😤😲👹👺👿😾😼😾😼💩💩👽👻😸🙉👾🎅🎅👩‍✈️👩‍🔬👩‍✈️👩‍🎓👩‍🍳👩‍⚕👩‍⚕👩‍✈️🎅👩‍⚕🤶🎅👩‍💼👩‍🍳👩‍⚕👩‍⚕👩‍🍳👩‍🌾👩‍🎓💁👲💁💁🤰👥👥👼💁🙍🙆👲🙍🐱🐎🐱🐺🐶🐪🐨🐭🐪🐻🐥🐓🐣🐣🐣🐣🐔🐤🐥🐰🐦🐰🐼🐰🐾🐰🐁🐐🐁🐪🐭🐪🐭🐭🍌🐺🍉🍓🍉🍅🍅🍉🍉🍅🍉🍗🌽🌽🍔🍉🍗🍉🍉🍗🍆🍆🍆🍅🍉🍍🍉🍌🍉
Rae
Mar 22, 2020 rated it liked it
It was a cute story written from the perspective of a twelve year old boy. It seemed more like imagination than fantasy, but it was also neat how the little brother would chime in once in a while too. I didn’t like how often Iggy called Oz a brat or how he sometimes talked about adults or other people in general. The author seemed to make Iggy sorry about it sometimes but not others. That may have been more realistic for a 12 year old, but wasn’t a great example.
Anna
May 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2020
Cute and easy to read.
James Nichols
Sep 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great book for middle school kids. Especially middle school boys. Really enjoyed this book. The book is a great read. It reminds me of the books I enjoyed reading when I was younger. The characters are very interesting and my boys can really relate to them. They enjoyed the dinosaurs coming to life and the adventure the characters went on to save their neighborhood.
Courtney
Dec 14, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2019
Okay

My children absolutely adore this book. Reading literature is so important to the development of a child's mind, and I cannot think of thing I would rather do then sit down to read to them in the evenings. Imagination and growth are so vital in those so young.
Sheila F Vanaman
Mar 23, 2020
Allen Brokken
Jul 22, 2020

• Love You Truly
  • The Story Hunter (The Weaver Trilogy, #3)
  • On Wings of Devotion (The Codebreakers, #2)
  • Dust (Heirs of Neverland, #1)
  • Above the Fold
  • The Forever Sky (Montana Gold, #4)
  • The Cracking of Monday Egg (Egg World Allegory, #1)
  • Fire Dancer
  • Gretchen and the Bear
  • Lavender and Lace (Bloom Sisters #4)
  • Aiming for Love (Brides of Hope Mountain, #1)
  • Poppy's Proposal (Bloom Sisters #3)
  • The Gathering Dark (Quest of Fire Book 1)
  • If for Any Reason (Nantucket Love Story #1)
  • Hannah's Courage (Amish Charm Bakery #3)
  • Redeemed
  • The Camera Never Lies
  • The Gray Chamber
Hi, my name is J.J. and I love to write, read, and drink coffee. As I write this I’m sitting in a local brewery sipping a espresso. There are few things in life that I feel need precise division with no room for error, coffee is one of them.

I love comic books, writing fun adventurous Science Fiction, and wasting countless hours on Social Media.

You can follow him on facebook at:

Iggy & Oz (2 books)
  • The Soda POP Wars (Iggy & Oz #2)