Start by marking “Wildwood” as Want to Read:
Wildwood

Wildwood

Drusilla Campbell delves deeply into the heart of friendship. Hannah, Jeanne and Liz are lifelong friends who are forced to confront the memory of a terrible incident that occurred long ago.
Published February 1st 2003 by Kensington (first published January 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Wildwood, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wildwood

Start your review of Wildwood
Desiree
Sep 27, 2010 rated it liked it
This wasn't terrible, but it wasn't great, either. It was a page-turner; I wanted to know what happened to the characters; but in the end felt like it was missing something.
Nic
Feb 05, 2017 rated it liked it
I've been missing Dru and decided to read her first novel, which I'd unsuccessfully started years ago. Her prose is more plot-driven than literary, but this time I let myself enjoy the story. The first chapters, where the girls are young and rebellious, and a horrible incident occurs, really hooked me. Then the narrative jumped to when they are age 50 and I struggled to maintain interest, and to keep them straight in my mind. I'm glad I worked through that frustration, though, because one of ...more
Michele
Not the best book I have ever read, but not the worst either. There was a lot going on with the characters, and I found myself wanting to know the outcome...but yet, feeling like there was something missing.
Kristy Trauzzi
Mar 27, 2011 rated it liked it
Amy Kitchell
Apr 15, 2009 rated it did not like it
This was one of those books that I wish I would've have checked out from the library instead of wasting my money. I loved the potential plot line; however, Campbell doesn't come close to delivering. Her characters are barely sketched out and appear to be more ghost like than well rounded and full. I kept checking the front of the book thinking that she had self-published because I couldn't fathom a publisher wasting their time or money on this horrible book. It took me two weeks to read this ...more
Jenee Rager
Feb 28, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: chick-lit
What a disappointment. It's not a poorly written book, or even all out awful, it just kind of boring, and not at all what I expect from this author. The whole "mystery" that reunites the friends is basically told in detail the first few pages. There are two very, very minor points added to it later in the book, but nothing that changes anything. The characters weren't all that likeable and I couldn't really relate to them either. All in all this was a just a book to read to pass the time, not ...more
Andrea
Oct 05, 2008 rated it did not like it
The premise had promise- three childhood friends with a secret in their past deal with it as adults- but I could not bring myself to care for any of the characters. The problems began with the reveal of the big secret in the beginning of the story. If there had been more context or even some more character development in the very beginning, then maybe I would have cared more about what was happened once the story jumped forward 30+ years. Overall, just a big disappointment.
Dawn
Jan 23, 2009 rated it it was ok
This was a quick read, fairly predictable, but enjoyable
Gretchen Cory
Feb 16, 2009 rated it it was ok
This started off with a very intriguing mystery, but as it unravelled I found myself less and less interested.
Leah Iannone
Sep 16, 2011 rated it did not like it
Unbearable. Awful. I couldn't finish. What was I thinking getting this?
Len
Apr 19, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not exactly as good as I had expected.
Stacey
Apr 23, 2012 rated it did not like it
Didn't care for the writing style ... just too predictable and dialogue never seemed to flow. It seemed choppy and I suppose just not my cup of tea.
Kelly
May 26, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Susan Becraft
Feb 15, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hooked on first page!

This Is a story of my generation and three best friends. Living through the polio scare in the fifties, I remember Mother in a frantic state about the safety of our town pool. Like Liz, Hannah and Jeanne, my friends and I circumvented our mothers and biked to the forbidden banks of the Ohio River. As only ten-year-old kids can be, we were fearless, despite dire warnings of shady characters who frequented the area. We could easily have been in the situation faced by the girls
Leigh
Oct 29, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Hannah and her two lifelong friends Liz and Jeanne share a secret: when they were 12, Hannah killed a neighbor teenage boy in self-defense when he attacked her. At the time they agreed to keep the secret forever, but over time it has begun to haunt them all in different, profound, sometimes subconscious ways. At age 50, they are all dealing with demons, some of which are a direct result of the death of Billy so many years before. Hannah and Jeanne, however, refuse to think about it.

Liz, the
Cara
Apr 04, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fun-or-frivolity
This is the story of three girls, women now, who were shaped by a tragic even during their childhood. They've kept the secret all these years--and some others since then--but everything demands to be let out. It can't stay in forever.

I liked the way the stories interweaved. The author did a good job of switching among the girls' perspectives smoothly. The writing was also very good--poetic language, very good use of "show not tell," and I liked how the story built.

(view spoiler)
Mmtimes4
Nov 02, 2012 rated it it was ok
In "Wildwood," Drusilla Campbell delves deeply into the heart of friendship with a highly accomplished novel reminiscent of those of Sue Miller, Anna Quindlen and Anne Rivers Siddons. It is the story of Hannah, Jeanne and Liz, lifelong friends who are forced to confront the consequences of a terrible incident that occurred long ago.It has been thirty years since any of the three women spoke the words "Bluegang Creek." Something unspeakable happened near that shady stream that shaped their lives ...more
kozettekaysmith
Feb 12, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely a Girls Read..

This is a first time for this Author and I truly enjoyed these character's. The story starts out and really gets your interest on what is going to happen to Hannah on the rock that day with that very scary boy. Your glad the friends show up you can feel the terror in all three girls and wonder what will they do after this terrible accident. I like the way the story tells of each friend and how they connect again after many years. This wasn't a favorite for me I like more
Anjane
May 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
Well that was a wildly different book. Slow building yet not boring, it felt almost like each chapter was a mini book. This book felt long, slow, heavy...saga like. Definitely not a quck read, while I read it fairly fast it felt slow and steady. This is a rainy day, snow storm kinda book. Very we'll written and easily one can hunker down with a character and identify. Moreover we can all relate to friendships that last the test of time while we become aware of our distances within this ...more
Debbie
Feb 24, 2014 rated it liked it
This was a difficult story for me to get into. It was only until I was about halfway through the book that I really began to care about the characters and could even keep from confusing them. The story quickly gains momentum once the characters begin to reveal the secrets they have acquired during their separation from each other. I was at a loss as to why the character of Simon Weed and his son were introduced. I kept waiting for some connection that would draw them all together, but there was ...more
Sharon
Apr 28, 2012 rated it liked it
Wildwood began with a great premise - 10-year old Hannah accidentally causes the death of a neighborhood boy who was attacking her and, with the help of her two best friends, covers up her involvement. Fast forward to the girls now women in their 50's and see how this incident molds their entire lives.

However, for some reason, I just never cared much about these people. I hovered between 2 and 3 stars and chose 3 because I was interested in the theme of when life begins - at conception? at
Karen Benson
Dec 17, 2007 rated it really liked it
Three childhood friends have a secret which they hold onto into their 50's. The three come together, each with less than perfect lives and through a series of events help one another take good looks at themselves.

The first paragraph really hooked me and I thought "WOW! This is going to be one heck of a story". Even though it slowed way down after that, delving into these women's lives after that fateful day was interesting, if not sometimes kind of depressing.

I still enjoyed this book and give
Pj
Apr 20, 2012 rated it liked it
the book keep me reading to find out what was going to happen to the friends together and each woman seperately. Good reading about 3 women who have been best friends since elementary school. The secret they all have promise to keep has greatly effected them The story lets us see just how much and in what way each woman each was effected.
Jill Mulligan
Oct 25, 2015 rated it liked it
I teeter between 2 or 3 stars. For most of the book I was leaning toward two but it was at least interesting enough to keep me reading. Towards the end it got more interesting and I grew to care a bit more about the characters and their story and enjoyed the lessons in the book earning it a tentative 3 stars.
Kathleen
Feb 10, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This was a very interesting book about lifelong friendships and how they endure over time with the good and bad times. I really enjoyed reading this book, it gave me food for thought and had me thinking about my own lifelong friendships and how my relationships with my best friends have endured over the years.
Alina
May 17, 2012 rated it it was ok
This book would make a better movie than a book. There's a lot of interesting drama and actions. But, I didn't like being inside the heads of any of the 3 main women. They were all filled with angst and turmoil. I couldn't believe some of the choices the women made and the thoughts they had. At times, it was almost like a horror book!
Tonya Branch
Mar 09, 2016 rated it did not like it
The storyline was very interesting and believable. However, I think the author went completely left with the writing. The reading was boring and disappointing. I was constantly expecting to get to the good part which never happened. Although I did finish the book. It was very painful to do so. Three thumbs down.
Cindy
Sep 08, 2007 rated it it was ok
Three young girls keep secret the details of a young boy's death. This knowledge is with them as they grow up; and finally in middle age the truth must be told as it is in part destroying their ability to live their lives to the fullest. At the same time it has strengthened the bonds of the three girls in unexpected ways.
Teresa
Mar 02, 2009 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed the clear, clean writing style. The subject matter I think is probably more appealing to an older woman (which I am) and I found the characters interaction with each other very interesting. I think it depicted a very realistic view of relationships that develop in childhood and carry into the future.
Pauline Hopkins
something about this book touched deep!! I don't recall that I have childhood secrets to this degree..... but it was relatable and each of these friends had issues that were so different but with a mutual core.... very interesting!!!!!
« previous 1 3 next »

• The Patient
  • Bibliophile: An Illustrated Miscellany
  • The Mother Earth News Handbook of Homemade Power
  • Jesus in Blue Jeans: A Practical Guide to Everyday Spirituality
  • The Sleepover (Detective Natalie Ward #4)
  • The Word Game
Drusilla Campbell lives in San Diego with her husband, the lawyer-poet-professor, Art Campbell, two rescued dogs and four horses. She was born in Melbourne, Australia and came to California when she was six years old. Before that she criss-crossed the United States by train and car with her brave and resourceful mother and mostly adorable baby brother. She had sailed the Pacific Ocean three times ...more