Start by marking “The Mercenary's Daughter” as Want to Read:
The Mercenary's Daughter

The Mercenary's Daughter

When Special Ops recruit, Tara Kafee is dishonorably discharged, there’s only one place to go—Home.

Published March 31st 2020 by Acorn Publishing

To ask other readers questions about The Mercenary's Daughter, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Mercenary's Daughter

Start your review of The Mercenary's Daughter
Sean Peters
Mar 27, 2020 rated it really liked it
Thank you to Net Galley, the publishers and the authors, yes two authors for an ARC copy for my review.

But there’s more waiting for her there than she’s ready for.

It’s been four years since she’s been back and ten since her mother walked out on the family never to be heard of again. She’s determined to rekindle things with her father and keep him close. That is, until he goes missing.

Soon after stu
Liz
Apr 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
*Received for review from the author*

Mercenary’s Daughter Review

Received for review from the author

When I started this book, I really wasn’t sure how it would go. Once Tara and her brother discover the truth about their dad, I was hooked! It was a wild ride, but it was so good. Not quite sure how she and her brother were able to escape so soon and remember their phones and wallets, but nonetheless, a really great story.

I loved that it involved Tara and Mitch finding their dad together. She gave
its.me.the.bibliophile
May 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
**Thank you to NetGalley, the authors, & the publisher for a chance to read & review an E-ARC of this novel!**

WHOA! This was not what I expected at all...& I mean that in such a good way. I went in thinking this was going to be more like Spy Kids for teens (which still would not have necessarily been a bad thing)...but it was so much more than that! It was action packed, full of drama, suspenseful, & loaded with family empowerment. I enjoyed it SO MUCH! Can't wait to check out more from these au
Shelley
*Source* Publisher
*Genre* Thriller / Suspense
*Rating* 3.5

*Thoughts*

The Mercenary's Daughter is written by co-authors Jessica Therrien and Joe Gazzam. It is a spy thriller with a touch of romance thrown in. The story follows Tara Kafee, a former Special Ops Marine who was dishonorably discharged from the military for reasons that need to be cleared up. When she returns home to Miami, Florida, she has to deal with the attitude of her younger brother, Mitch, the strange disappearance of her father,
Lacey Impellizeri
Sep 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Unforgettable, monumental, remarkable. Gazzam and Therrien have crafted a thrill ride that has kept me absorbed from page one. Tara's past bubbling over into questions and mysteries about her present are buried into the pages and I could not put the book down until I could unfold every last detail and cinematic moment in the book.
If you like thrillers, this book is for you.
If you like romance, this book is for you.
If you like reading, this. book. is. for. you.
Holly Kammier
Sep 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I felt like I was watching a movie! The Mercenary's is so fast paced and page turning, I read the entire book in two days and was sad to see it end. I fell in love with the characters and felt like I had just taken a real-life tour through Havana. I highly recommend this book!!
 CCAM&GZM
Apr 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
If you look at the cover (a Lara Croft style cover) and read the blurb, things seem to be very clear. You know already what you'll get and the main ...milestones of the plot. So, there is no room for surprises here. But this it's not important when dealing with a book as The Mercenary's Daughter, isn't it?! Yep, such a story needs rhythm, dangers, (apparent) impossible situations, suspense, excitement, physical stunts, chases, fights, races, incredible solutions, brave characters... Joe Gazzam & ...more
Larissa Rye
Mar 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I’ve never read either of these authors before but you can bet I’ll be checking out their other books.

I really enjoyed every aspect of this book. It was everything you want in an action packed book. Guns, bombs, high speed chases, & crazy firefights. Loved it!! Along with the action filled scenes, there were touching family moments, family conflict, secrets and a little bit of romance. I loved that it was mostly an action packed book since it’s been awhile since I’ve read one.

Of course I won’t
Meaghan Hurn
Apr 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
An action-packed book filled to the brim with guns, bombs, high-speed chases, and crazy firefights!

Both authors did a nice job of character development especially between the main character and her brother as they work together (this might mirror how the authors worked well together). The Mercenary's Daughter is equal parts action and strong plot!

It's an action/adventure story that will keep you entertained right up till the last page, so much so, that I read this book in a single evening!
Edward Smith
Jul 17, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Heart Pumping Black Ops Thriller set in the Underbelly of Cuba

Story takes a while to develop the characters and establish the family ties that hold the mission together.

The last 3rd of the book is a flat out heart racing thrill ride with lots of twist and turns in the Action.

Recommended!
Shelly
Feb 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
I'm a huge Jessica Therrien fan and was ecstatic to be able to read an ARC of this book! Ms. Therrien masters every genre she touches. Action thriller is no exception to this!

The Mercenary's Daughter is action packed with a strong, multi-dimensional main character. The authors do a nice job of character development, not only for the main character, but between the main character and her brother as they work together. All of this happens as the duo uncover secrets about their dad and go up agains
Becky
Feb 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is a great story. It Was not at all what I expected. It was so much better!! To do what this sister & brother did to save their dad nothing short of amazing!! There was excitement, adventure, romance & some mystery. I couldn’t put it down. I can’t wait for the next book.
I volunteering read this book as a advanced readers copy.
D. James
Jan 31, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I read this book in a single evening. This is an Action/Adventure tour de force that will keep you entertained right up till the last page.
I actually think that Jennifer Lawrence might just play Tara Kafee in the movie.
Overall...fantastic!
Tina
Apr 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
If you’re looking for a heartfelt family story with a ton of awesome action, this is definitely the book for you. The Mercenary’s Daughter is a combination of stubborn recklessness and just the right amount of skill and luck.

Tara is a rebellious young woman who has made her share of bad decisions. After being dishonorably discharged from the military, at no fault of her own, she lands herself back at home trying to rekindle a relationship with her father and brother. Things are tense as she ackn
Nichole
Apr 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
Thank you to Acorn Publishing and NetGalley for providing this book in exchange for my honest review.
I want to start by saying that I wanted to read this one for the strong female character-spy theme. I found The Mercenary’s Daughter to be fast-paced and, for the most part, a fun read. The arc provided to me had editing errors that pulled me out of the story many times, but I’m sure the final version was revised, so that won’t happen to anyone else.
Tara Kafee, who is dishonorably discharged from
Mireille
Apr 17, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley
This book was lots of fun! Very fluffy. Which sounds wrong when the main character was running around shooting people, hot-wiring cars, and causing mayhem, but yeah. Fluffy. It's completely obvious that everything will work out in the end, and takes very little mental energy to read. In a good way.

Tara has just been dishonourably discharged from the marines for shooting an officer in the foot. Embarrassed and not sure what to do next, Tara goes home to her father and brother. But the same evenin
Leelynn (Sometimes Leelynn Reads) ❤
Disclaimer: I voluntarily read and reviewed an advanced copy of this book. All thoughts and opinions are my own. Thank you to Xpresso Tours, and Acorn Publishing for this free copy. All quotes in this review are taken from the Advanced Reader Copy and may change in final publication.

Okay first of all, I’m sad that Tara get dishonorably discharged, but maybe she needed to just get home somehow.

Anyway, I have always enjoyed the books that I get to read from Acorn Publishing from Xpresso Tours. I a
Cranky - The Book Curmudgeon
Apr 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
5 cranky stars

This has been the best read of the year so far. Excellent writing very descriptive you can actually see in your own mind exactly what they want you to see.

It starts off with the teenage delinquent daughter in and out of trouble Tara. In the end she joined the Marines, 3 years and doing well moving to special ops until she was dishonorable discharged which wasn't her fault but she knew nobody would believe her.

She tells the story of how her father disappeared on a 'work problem' on
Teresa
Mar 21, 2020 rated it really liked it
** I received a copy of Mercenary's Daughter from Net Galley and Xpresso Book Tours (Acorn Publishing) in exchange for a voluntary and honest review. My opinions are my own and not solicited in any way**

Mercenary's Daughter by Jessica Therrien and Joe Gazzam was a fun action packed high adventure read set in Florida and Cuba. Be warned that this has a cliff hanger though so be prepared with that mentioned it's still worth a high 4 star rating. But I felt like it was reading both a thriller and a
Hsinju
Mar 16, 2020 rated it really liked it
This book was definitely not what I had expected. I was annoyed if not angry at the usage of "exotic" on Andy, so let's just say The Mercenary's Daughter did not leave a great first impression. However, plot-wise, it really amazed me. It was exciting and made my heart thump.

Tara and Mitch were the ultimate sibling team with Tara being familiar with weaponry and missions while Mitch excelled at science and schemes. Along with Andy, the local guide and an enemy of the enemy, their Cuban adventure
Rebecca Veight
Apr 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
Tara a 22yr old, smart-ass Marine, who was dishonorable discharged, returns home after 4 years. When her dad goes missing, she and her teenage brother discover he isn’t who they thought he was. Finding out he’s a mercenary leads them to a rescue mission in Cuba.

Really like how Tara uses her checkered past and military skills as means of survival on the mission. Plus, she’s a fast thinker and sees the opportunity in the situation, while her brother Mitch is some sort of genius.

With a down to eart
Samantha Smith
Apr 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
The Mercenary's Daughter follows the story of Tara; a special forces recruit who was dishonourably discharged and her younger brother Mitch, as they find out that all is not as it seems when their father is reported as having passed away in an accident whilst on a business trip.

What ensues is a romp of a ride of a young adult spy/action/adventure thriller, with a cast of extremely well written characters. The smidgen of romance that is in the book added to the story line and I enjoyed the develo
Phoebe
Joe Gazzam and Jessica Therrien give us family angst in the midst of international mystery in The Mercenary's Daughter (Acorn Publishing, 978-1947392748, 2020). I think the interaction between Tara and Mitch is the best part of the book. I am not usually one to praise family drama, but it all makes sense and if you have a sibling then you can get it and laugh. You probably will even laugh if you do not have a sibling (laugh).

Gazzam and Therrien keep it real when it comes to the solutions of two
Gilbert Stack
Sep 15, 2020 rated it liked it
What do you do when you discover that everything you thought you knew about your father is a lie? He’s not a boring salesman. He’s a covert agent taking on tasks for money that the U.S. government wants to be able to disavow if they go wrong.

This is the situation that Tara and her brother find herself in when they get news that their father had died while on a business trip. Unfortunately for their father’s government handlers, the news comes before the government can stop them from discovering
Nancy (The Avid Reader)
Tara Kafee was in trouble a lot during her teenage years then she woke up one day and decided it was time to make a change before she screwed up so bad to the point of no return. Joining the military really helped Tara turn her life around. Tara became a Special Ops recruit then one day something went terribly wrong and Tara was dishonorably discharged for something that wasn’t her fault.

With nowhere else to go Tara heads home she has not been home since she left to join the military. Tara went
Shae
Apr 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I can see this novel as a movie! It is well written, action-packed and has great characters. This was my introduction to any work by the two authors and they did a wonderful job, I will definitely be looking for their books in the future.

Tara feels like a failure returning home from the army with dishonourably discharged rather than merit. She has not kept in contact with her family or friends during her time in the army. Tara needs to rebuild these relationships and start her life.

Her father go
Ree
Apr 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
At 22, Tara's life isn't going anywhere. Kicked out of the military, she heads back to the home she hasn't stepped foot in for four years, yearning for the love of her family. When she gets there, things are normal enough, until they aren't. When her father goes missing, Tara, armed with just a gun, her military training and her father's last known whereabouts, sets out to find him with her younger brother, Mitch, along for the ride. What happens next is a whirlwind of bullets, crazy car chases ...more
Sue Wallace
Apr 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The mercenary's daughter by Joe Gazzam and Jessica Therrien.
But there’s more waiting for her there than she’s ready for.
Soon after stumbling upon a safe room full of weapons, fa
Sabi
Mar 18, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: spies

I just finished this book and cliffhanger alert!

Right from the start, we’re introduced to Tara, our MC, and all the misfortunes that have morphed her to the woman she is. Her mother left when she was 12; she got into juvie a few times; and, most recently, she got kicked off the marines, after completing three years. She’s filled with resentment and rage, rightfully so. She’s coming home lost with the future uncertain. It doesn’t help she’s made no contact with her brother, who’s hurt by her neg
Char Davis
May 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
When Tara met her dad for lunch she felt bad growing up she kept screwing up getting in trouble.When she joined the Marines special forces it was hard not being treated right because she is a woman.One fellow Marine was her good friend til he was killed before her eyes.But being raped by two superior officers she knew it would do no good to report it so they kicked her out.Her brothers mad at her for not staying in contact an her dad is hiding something.There is action,danger,suspense an unexpec ...more

• Shoes on the Stairs
  • Nutmeg Street: Egyptian Secrets (A Botanic Hill Detectives Mystery, #1)
  • The Winner's Circle
  • Haskell Himself
  • Kiss My Assassin (Charles Bishop #1)
  • The Silencer Series Box Set Books 1-4
  • The Grace Year
  • Traitor (Zeb Carter #5)
  • Fake Truth (Ian Ludlow Thrillers #3)
  • The Guinevere Deception (Camelot Rising, #1)
  • Let's Get Textual (Texting, #1)
  • Pucked (Pucked, #1)
  • Blood Countess (Lady Slayers #1)
  • The Worst Best Man
  • The Secret Vow
  • Adults
  • The Switch
  • Hicks Road: Jacob's Story
Screenwriter/Novelist Joe Gazzam has been a working screenwriter for 8 years working on such films as:

Shadow Run
Disney's Hawaiian Adventure
It Takes a Thief
Anubis Tapestry
(and many more)

His debut novel, UNCAGED, out now!