Start by marking “The Mask Falling (The Bone Season, #4)” as Want to Read:
The Mask Falling (The Bone Season, #4)

The Mask Falling

(The Bone Season #4)

Dreamwalker Paige Mahoney has eluded death again. Snatched from the jaws of captivity and consigned to a safe house in the Scion Citadel of Paris, she finds herself caught between those factions that seek Scion's downfall and those who would kill to protect the Rephaim's puppet empire.

The mysterious Domino Program has plans for Paige, but she has ambitions of her own in th
Published January 26th 2021 by Bloomsbury Publishing

To ask other readers questions about The Mask Falling, please sign up.
Emily There was a two year wait from The Mime Order to The Song Rising, so I don't really see any issue with a wait of two (or three) years from The Song Ri…moreThere was a two year wait from The Mime Order to The Song Rising, so I don't really see any issue with a wait of two (or three) years from The Song Rising to whatever this masterpiece will be called! The release of a stand alone book written in a new world in the intervening year is just an added bonus for me.
A lot of authors release different books while waiting years between books in a series (i.e. Brandon Sanderson and the Stormlight Archive series: 3-4 years between books while publishing multiple other series for multiple age groups!). Not every author writes at the same pace and readers just have to acknowledge that and plan their reading accordingly.(less)
Becca She's an author, not a machine, and writing is art, not just slapping words on a page. Give the poor woman time.…moreShe's an author, not a machine, and writing is art, not just slapping words on a page. Give the poor woman time.(less)

Start your review of The Mask Falling (The Bone Season, #4)
Samantha Shannon
Oct 17, 2018 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Hi, Goodreads:

Thank you for your immense patience in waiting for the fourth book in the Bone Season series. The latter half of 2019 was very difficult for me for personal reasons, which slowed things down a little, but I'm thrilled to reveal that the title is The Mask Falling and it will be out in January 2021.

There's also something on its way this summer to break up the wait, as I know it's been a long one.

I absolutely love this book – it's my favourite in the series so far, and I really
Kai (CuriousCompass)
Jan 15, 2020 marked it as lost-interest
I have no interest in continuing this series, but I have something to say... It doesn't matter how long this takes to come out. It doesn't matter if before she writes and publishes this book, Samanta Shannon decides to go to the moon or mars with Elon Musk and Grimes, goes bungee jumping in every country in the world, and writes and publishes a series of vegan cookbooks before getting back to this series. It. Does. Not. Matter. You can be sad, you can be angry, but for the love of God, leave her ...more
Ashleigh (a frolic through fiction)
Everything hurts. Please bare with me through these trying times.

This book just blew this series onto a whole new level. Every page felt like a shift in the system as more was discovered, and I loved seeing the progression made. The combination of dystopian politics and spirit magic has always been my favourite thing, and this book really shows its strength in this aspect. Though introducing a lot of new power dynamics, mysteries, and problems to be confronted, not for a moment did it feel overw
Becca & The Books
Feb 09, 2021 rated it it was amazing
The Bone Season series is one that continues to keep growing with every instalment and The Mask Falling was no exception. The world opened up, giving us a glimpse of another City crippled by Scion as Paige joins a covert network of spies trying to take down the government from the inside.
Paige continues to remain true to her impulsive nature while also taking the time to process the events of the last year and rebuild relationships that have suffered as a result of the constant turmoil of her li
Abbie (boneseasonofglass)
Jan 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
What the actual fuck Samantha?!

Melissa (BookNerdMomo)
Apr 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
There's a quote in The Mask Falling that perfectly describes not only my feelings towards this installment but the whole series in general so far; "I am of the considered opinion that for every person, there exists a book that will sing to them. I trust that you will find yours." I always say, with each new one that I read, how fond I am of this series, how incredible it is, how potent it is, how dear it is to my heart. But when I read that quote I realized, to sum it up, it truly is a series th ...more
Jenna
Jan 28, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Maxwell
Nov 18, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc
[4 stars]
Thanks to Bloomsbury for sending me an early copy of this for review. All thoughts & opinions expressed in this review are solely mine.

Longer review to come closer to publication date. I think I might even read this one again in January before it comes out so I can give more proper thoughts. But boy oh boy is this a heck of an installment in the series.
Charlotte May
Sep 03, 2020 marked it as to-read
February next year release date!!! Hell yeah!!! Maybe I can fit in a reread of the series before it comes out?
kate
Jan 29, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, swoon

For me, the soul of this series has always been the relationship between Paige and Arcturus. It’s apt that this book, the exact middle of the series and as Samantha Shannon describes it, its heart, spends so much time with this pair. The intensity and uniqueness of their bond really emerges as the shining jewel of this series.

It’s clear that Samantha Shannon was intentional about putting Arcturus and Paige on equal footing for the first time in The Mask Falling. She manages the power dynamic bet
Marifer Castillo
Aug 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Alexandra Elend Wolf
That ending... I'll need forever to get over that ending. Honestly, a book ending hadn't chilled me so since Lord of Shadows.

My heart is in little pieces and I'm so anxious and shocked. The sole idea of having to wait years for the next book is making suffer even more already. Like I wasn't in deep, agonizing pain already.

I'll need an eternity to get over this book.

RTC.
__________________

After the amazingness of The Dawn Chorus I've been super excited to finally be able to read this contin
Beatrice in Bookland
Aug 17, 2018 marked it as to-read
1) The bone season ★★★★☆
2) The mime order ★★★★☆
3) The song rising ★★★★★

*distant sobbing*

So... is it 2020 yet?

Mary S. R.
So I might not be able to prove this with mathematics or geometry or whatever, but this cover is so aesthetically perfect it just changed the centre of gravity to my life. I’m actually falling sideways.

Or maybe that’s just me fainting. Interesting.

Okay, wait a sec I think I can prove it *picks up ruller and golden ratio*

Companions

Book series playlist: Spotify URL

Books in series:
The Bone Season (The Bone Season, #1) ★★★☆☆
The Pale Dreamer (The Bone Season, #0.5) ★★★★☆
The Mime Ord
Raquel Flockhart
ARC provided by the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

1. The Bone Season | ★★★
2. The Mime Order | ★★★★
3. The Song Rising | ★★★★

“With this, whenever you desire, you can conceal Paige Mahoney—all her fears, all her sorrow, all her rage—and inhabit Black Moth. You can write her story. You can sing it to the streets of Paris. And I promise you, this citadel will call eternally for more.”

As you might know, The Bone Season septology is one of my favourite series

Melanie (TBR and Beyond)
Nov 14, 2018 marked it as to-read
Shelves: 2021, tbr-ya
I will riot if she pushes this series back again! Don't be that person Samantha!!! ...more
Ashleigh (ash_and_books)
I was gifted this book in exchange for an honest review.
Songs for this book (all by Ruelle):
-Find You
-Hold Your Breath
-Closing In
-Daydream
-Madness
-The Other Side

TW for the book: aquaphobia, mentions of torture, death of a parent (before events of TMF)
TW for the review: aquaphobia
Representation: LGBTQ+ characters (demisexual main character, pan love interest, ace character, non-binary side character etc)

The Mask Falling (TMF) was one of my MOST anticipated releases for 2021. I knew I would absolu
Bright Star
Nov 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: best-of-2021
I received an ARC from NetGalley in exchange for a honest review.

The Mask Falling is the fourth book in The Bone Season series and it was one of my most anticipated releases of 2021. Once again, Samantha Shannon didn't disappoint. Every time, she's able to create a complex story with an incredible worldbuilding and a lot of action, twists and emotional moments.

The Mask Falling picks up where The Song Rising left off, with Paige and Warden headed to Paris to accomplish this new assignment for the
Caylynn
Apr 26, 2020 marked it as to-read
Shelves: tbr-sequels, lgbtq
Update: January 26th, 2021

I DIDN'T KNOW THIS CAME OUT TODAY WHAT THE HELL.

BRB gonna go speed REread the second and third books before I snatch this shit up at Barnes & Noble!!

-----------------------------------
Update: August 17th, 2020

LOOK AT THAT COVER!!

Me currently when I see that we're back to the OG design and not the mess that was The Song Rising's messed up changes-

-----------------------------------
Update: April 26th, 2020

What? The actual? Fuck?

When did this book get a title??? And an up
Gabriela Pop
Oct 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
how dare Samantha Shannon make a perfect series even more perfect? This is the literary equivalent of an emotional rollercoaster and you can picture me screaming throught this entire emotional journey it feels like I've embarked along with the characters. The stakes of this series always felt so high, yet Shannon keeps escalating and rising the bar, both on a personal microlevel and on a broader scale. Bravo, my metaphorical hat off to you Ms Shannon, it is an honour to have my heart stomped on ...more
Melanie
Feb 09, 2017 marked it as to-read
1.) The Bone Season ★★★
2.) The Mime Order ★★★
3.) The Song Rising ★★★★
Tilly
Jan 31, 2021 rated it it was amazing
5 stars

TW: aquaphobia, PTSD, torture and murder, blood and gore, shocking scenes.

Samantha Shannon has done it again. I am in shock and can barely think of words to review this incredible book as it has blown me away. Wow, where do I even start?
The storyline is in keeping with the first three books of the series in that it is incredibly intricate, filled with surprising/shocking twists and turns and crammed full of emotion. There were many times when my heart was pounding out of my chest or I was
Lucie
I received an ARC of this book from the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

The Mask Falling is my favourite book in the series so far! 💛

Following the events of The Song Rising, Paige Mahoney finds herself in the Scion Citadel of Paris, where the Domino Program has plans for her, while Paige has ambitions of her own.

I loved that this book was set in Paris: as someone who used to live there, I'm always a bit wary to read books set there, but Samantha Shannon did a fantastic job! You could
Elle Rose
”But the king had the capacity to fight. It could sit and tremble in the wings, or it could match up the board, straight for the enemy side, and attack. It might even win the game.
I would heed that lesson. I had hidden for too long. Queens could be steel, too.”

I don’t even know where to start. The Mask Falling was one of my most anticipated releases for 2021 and boy has it delivered. Samantha Shannon instantly drew me back into the world of Scion and I didn’t want it to end.

The Bone Season is on
Heather
Feb 01, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: i-own-it, 21-gems, fantasy
I fully realize that, at this point, I'm not able to be objective about this series. I care too much for the characters--this book has my emotions thrumming like very few ever have.

If you like what The Bone Season does... how Samantha Shannon writes and the ways she makes you feel... you will love this. I adored every single page, and I am sorry the joy couldn't last longer than it did.

More, please!!
destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries]
Oh shit... when did we get a release date and title?!?!
Alexa
I was unprepared for how stressful and incredible and compelling this installment of the series would be, and I am left feeling dizzy from the highs and lows of the emotional roller coaster of this experience.

Basically, THE MASK FALLING punched me (in the heart and head) and I would happily allow it to do so again. This installment? Brilliant.
dani
Jan 30, 2021 rated it it was amazing
the ending traumatized me, and i will not be the same until i get the fifth book (i cried a lot, i need therapy)
kath | novel + folk
Jan 12, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Oh my GOODNESS
Nicole (Half Wild Books)
I have no words

It’s hard to find the words when a book exceeds all your expectations in the most wonderful way. The Mask Falling was my most anticipated release of 2021, and I am forever grateful to have it early. Paige and Arcturus have such a special place in my soul, and I treasure every moment with them. Samantha Shannon crafts a beautiful, epic fantasy, that will leave readers furiously turning the page. Dark and dangerous, The Mask Falling left me breathless, gaining a place in my heart as
NetGalley Addicts...: How often do big publishers grant wishes to newbies? 11 82 Aug 07, 2020 07:13AM

• Save Me (Maxton Hall, #1)
  • Find Me (Inland Empire, #1)
  • The Shadows Between Us
  • The Trouble with Peace (The Age of Madness, #2)
  • Harrow the Ninth (The Locked Tomb, #2)
  • False Value (Rivers of London, #8)
  • Boyfriend Material
  • A ​Court of Silver Flames (A Court of Thorns and Roses, #4)
  • Laura Dean Keeps Breaking Up with Me
  • Something to Talk About
  • Once Bitten (Shadow Guild: The Rebel #1)
  • Because You Love to Hate Me: 13 Tales of Villainy
  • Behind the Song
  • Dangerous Women
  • Cursed Prince (Night Elves Trilogy #1)
  • Tunnel of Bones (Cassidy Blake, #2)
  • Petals to the Metal
  • Vengeful (Villains, #2)
Samantha Shannon studied English Language and Literature at St. Anne’s College, Oxford. The Bone Season, the first in a seven-book series, was a New York Times bestseller and the inaugural Today Book Club selection.

Her next novel, The Priory of the Orange Tree, was published in February 2019 and became a New York Times and Sunday Times bestseller. Her work has been translated into twenty-six lang

The Bone Season (7 books)
  • The Bone Season (The Bone Season, #1)
  • The Mime Order (The Bone Season, #2)
  • The Song Rising (The Bone Season, #3)
  • Untitled (The Bone Season, #5)
  • Untitled (The Bone Season, #6)
  • Untitled (The Bone Season, #7)

Articles featuring this book

Get ready for some out-of-this-world reading and some insane near-realities with the science fiction and fantasy books that are catching the...
“It is a beautiful mask, but all masks fall. In the end.” 2 likes