Start by marking “False Knees: An Illustrated Guide to Animal Behavior” as Want to Read:
False Knees: An Illustrated Guide to Animal Behavior

False Knees: An Illustrated Guide to Animal Behavior

In Barkman’s debut print collection, False Knees fans will find old favorites along with an abundance of all-new material. Featuring creatures found in the author’s native Ontario, this always sharp, sometimes head-scratchingly bizarre collection of comics offers a view into the secret, surprisingly insightful world of blue jays, squirrels, geese, wolves, and rabbits.

Published October 15th 2019 by Andrews McMeel Publishing

To ask other readers questions about False Knees, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about False Knees

Start your review of False Knees: An Illustrated Guide to Animal Behavior
Fatma
Mar 29, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
The False Knees comics are some of the best things to ever come out of the internet. Adorable, beautifully drawn, funny, and so wholesome. I love these dumb birds and their antics. 💖💖💖💖

On reading this printed version of Barkman's work as opposed to seeing it online, I was struck by how much detail and texture is in his illustrations. Also I don't know how he does it, but the animals he draws are so expressive. Part of me thinks birds are birds, how could they possible emote, but then I look at a
Valéria.
Nov 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics
I laughed a lot though I read most of the part of this book previously as webcomic. Highly enjoyable nonsense with funny, but still truthful and educational illustrations of behavior of birds.
Marina Sanford
Jan 07, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Just the right balance of existential dread and laugh out loud that I needed today.
Ed Erwin
Jul 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: humor, comics
Funny short gags involving animals! I won't try to explain further. Just go to the website https://falseknees.com/
jamie_in_the_library
Dec 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is another graphic novel that is SO smart and SO funny that it (metaphorically) makes me snort milk. The art is beautiful and every page leaves me frantically looking around for someone to show it to.
Kolumbina
Beautiful graphics, 4*.
The text didn't make sense (what a pity), not for me, not at all, 0*.
Niki
Aug 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I haven't read anything since the beginning of July (I've been, and will be, working 12 hours per day, I have no brainpower for anything afterwards) but I did read this when my copy of it arrived today.

It's incredibly clever, it's funny (this is my EXACT sense of humor), it's wholesome, the art is stunning, and there's only animals in it, not a single human being; I legit couldn't ask for anything more. 10/10, will read again.
Josh Gaudreau
Mar 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I've followed this webcomic for a while, and when I saw it at the store I was surprised to find comics I hadn't read. Love the art, love the humour, and learned the artist was Canadian! ...more
Lokomotywa
Oct 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
one of my favourite things in the universe
Mantareads
Feb 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Seducingly sanguine! Vividly vermillion! Seriously cerise! Remarkably rufous! Partially puce! Categorically cochineal!
Mountain_of_Conflict
Note to myself: Whenever I am going to read something like this (especially when I already know the webcomic) I should think beforehand, if I really want to mark funny comics. I ended up with at least a fourth of the book tagged.
Still so funny. Who knew you could still mine animal based humor (but with very detailed drawings) with existentialism and a dash of absurdity. And I’ll forever laugh at the idea of a crow doing stand-up.
Mauri
Feb 03, 2021 rated it it was amazing
I asked for this for Christmas and my mother bought it, mostly because the subtitle had "animal behavior" in it and she loves that kind of thing. She ended up starting it before she gave it to me and was surprised to discover that it was a comic book...but not as quite as surprised as she was when one of the rabbits on page 64 is snatched up by an owl mid-sentence.

...I had to endure a few "do you really find this kind of thing funny (do you maybe need therapy)?" comments, but yes, I did find thi
Steve Kempkes
Feb 05, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Animal observation gives witty insight to human nature. Great illustrations. Made me laugh out loud.
Shilo
Jan 23, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My favorite comic strips. 💜
Nicholas Ball
Dec 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Gorgeous watercolour art and some brilliant observations of (human) nature. A couple of the pieces didn't quite 'land' for me, but I won't take a star off for that. Highly recommended, but note it is dark and quirky - no bluebirds of happiness fluttering about here! ...more
Olivia Simpson
Jan 17, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Treasures upon treasures upon treasures.
My favourite is the bird who cheers up their friend by reminding them that a seed can turn into a tree. You’ll know when you know.
Beth Hestad
Feb 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I love a good disaffected bird comic
Jane
Jan 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book is right in my humor strike zone. Some of the strips are only okay, but some of them hilarious, and even the okay ones are fun to read and admire the art. No cartoonists hit a homerun with every strip. Highly recommended for people who like odd humor and birds.

(I actually read the paperback - someone needs to combine this edition with the paperback edition.)

link: This is my favorite
Janus Andersen
Jan 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: tegneserier
A thing of (funny) beauty!
Punk
Aug 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novel
False Knees is a webcomic, usually an appealing 4-paneled square featuring birds, squirrels, and raccoons going about their daily business, dealing with anxiety, and asking important questions about what it means to be an individual. The art is cartoony, but detailed, almost like a crass Audubon print. The birds are especially wonderful, and it's remarkable how much emotion Barkman can convey through their nearly expressionless faces. Often a comic will end with a reaction shot, just a single pa ...more
Melody Schwarting
My husband and I have a feeder on our deck, and we have flocks of regular visitors (both furry and feathered). They have names (the cardinals are Sylvester and Nymphadora, whose children Bacchus and Diana are learning the ways of the perch), personalities (squirrels are quite adept at climbing the screen door, leaping to the feeder, and swinging wildly while unsuccessfully attempting maximum seed consumption), and habits (are the juncos ground birds or just too nearsighted to use the feeder?).

Fa
Kristina
Oct 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the quirkiest animal strip comic I’ve ever seen. While mostly comprised of birds, there’s also raccoons, bears, fish and frogs among others. False Knees presented some existential questions and distress, mixed with juvenile humor. LOVE. I couldn’t stop laughing!
Behoove
"Avenge meee!!!"
"I probably won't"
Dana Robinson
Jan 20, 2020 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Why does this have so many five star reviews? It's not weird enough to be cool or interesting and most of the comics barely register as funny. ...more
Charlotte
I'd never heard of False Knees or seen any of the comics before this book, but let me tell you I was pleasantly surprised by it.

It's an odd kind of humour presented in these comics, but there's something about the juxtaposition of the weird and sassy jokes against the beautiful and detailed art that just works. I find myself both admiring the pictures and snorting at the words, so I'd say that this was a successful book as I enjoyed myself immensely.

I'll definitely be keeping my eyes open for mo
Morpheus Lunae
Oct 25, 2020 rated it really liked it
I swear this will be the last comic review for a while! The compilation of surreal and humorous comics is not perfect but it certainly is great. Most of them are drawn in gorgeous colors apart from some earlier ones that stick out a bit. Some are dumb. Some are very witty. Some are plain silly while others are very deep. I don't know which comics in there are exclusives but if you don't want to get this book you can always follow the artist online and get to see a lot of these highly unusual sho ...more
Tommy
May 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is such a great concept, imagining what animals think. Sometimes profound, most of the time silly, but always with a great eye and ear toward the natural world and how the way we think about it reflects our own very human perceptions. Some of the comics I didn't get, but I'm okay with that. I expect the truly animal brain to be too foreign for me to understand once in a while. ...more
Kari
Dec 16, 2020 rated it really liked it
I thought this was a non-fiction graphic novel type of book for young readers.
It is not.
It is VERY quirky and funny most of the time.
Other times the joke flew over my head (bad pun with so much emphasis on birds)
But I enjoyed it.
It is definitely not what I thought it was and thank god I preview books from the public library before making any school library purchases...phew.
hades ☾
Jun 23, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: funny, graphic-novels
hilarious birb comics, what else to wish for
Edmund Davis-Quinn
Jul 30, 2020 rated it liked it
A cute, quick read. Flew through it at Barnes and Noble. Decided not to buy it.
« previous 1 3 next »

• Poorlier Drawn Lines (Poorly Drawn Lines, #3)
  • War and Peas: Funny Comics for Dirty Lovers
  • City Monster
  • The Perry Bible Fellowship Almanack
  • oh no
  • Stranger Planet (Strange Planet, #2)
  • Safely Endangered Comics
  • Poorly Drawn Lines: Good Ideas and Amazing Stories (Poorly Drawn Lines, #1)
  • Just Peachy: Comics About Depression, Anxiety, Love, and Finding the Humor in Being Sad
  • Strange Planet (Strange Planet #1)
  • Bird Brain: Comics About Mental Health, Starring Pigeons
  • Effin' Birds
  • The Player (The Wedding Pact, #2)
  • Twisted Twenty-Six (Stephanie Plum, #26)
  • Cat's Cafe: A Comics Collection
  • Essex County (Essex County, #1-3)
  • Claudia and Mean Janine
  • 暗殺教室 1 [Ansatsu Kyoushitsu 1] (Assassination Classroom, #1)

News & Interviews