Start by marking “The Only Good Indians” as Want to Read:
The Only Good Indians

The Only Good Indians

The creeping horror of Paul Tremblay meets Tommy Oranges There There in a dark novel of revenge, cultural identity, and the cost of breaking from tradition in this latest novel from the Jordan Peele of horror literature, Stephen Graham Jones.

Seamlessly blending classic horror and a dramatic narrative with sharp social commentary, The Only Good Indians follows four American
Expected publication: May 19th 2020 by Gallery / Saga Press

Start your review of The Only Good Indians
Chelsea Humphrey
It's always tough to write a middle-of-the-road review for one of your most anticipated releases of the year, but I hope to do so with the respect and honor that the author deserves. What it comes down to is this: my 3 star rating is more a case of my not being wholly compatible with the story than any fault of the author's. Going into this expecting something along the lines of The Ritual, I had to adjust my preconceived notions on this being straight up horror, when it is indeed more literary. ...more
Nilufer Ozmekik
Jan 28, 2020 rated it liked it
Another book hit me on the face and gave me complex feelings: I liked it but I also disliked it as well. I hate to be decisive and stay in the middle. I also hate grey. I liked to choose between black and white. So lets rephrase how this book confused the hell of me!

Firstly this is fresh, inventive, unique, different story and seeing Native American representation always picks my interest because I love to learn more about different traditions, cultures and original, remarkable perspectives. We
Debra
Dec 13, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: netgalley
Four young American Indian men find themselves fighting for their lives against an entity who wants revenge after an event that occurred during an elk hunt ten years earlier.

Many are really enjoying this book and I encourage my fellow readers to read those reviews. This book just wasn't for me. I struggled with the writing style, I found it slow in parts, and overall just not my cup of tea. I love a good horror book, but this one just didn't work for me- end of story. I thought the book started
Paul
Nov 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
THE ONLY GOOD INDIANS is a masterpiece. Intimate, devastating, brutal, terrifying, yet warm and heartbreaking in the best way, Stephen Graham Jones has written a horror novel about injustice and, ultimately, about hope. Not a false, sentimental hope, but the real one, the one that some of us survive and keeps the rest of us going. And it gives me hope that this book exists.
Sadie Hartmann Mother Horror
Nov 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cemetery-dance
WHOAAAAAAAA!!!
Writing up my review for Cemetery Dance but mark my words: It's this book by SGJ that is going to be made into a movie (I'm already calling it) This is the kind of horror people want right now. The characters are memorable, interesting, flawed, funny--REAL.
This horror has something to say.
A modern revenge story with biting social commentary that eats away at your soul. My heart and my mind ached after I finished.
Char
THE ONLY GOOD INDIANS is a superb, gut wrenching novel, and it wrecked me.

I've been sitting here struggling to come up with some words that don't sound like the same old thing. This book is not the same old thing.

I've been sitting here struggling to find a way to relate to you the mind-warping effects of this novel, because it is mind warping.

I wish I had a way to explain how the guilt here was wrapped up and entwined with grief and shame and then buried under the burdens of Native American
Rebecca Roanhorse
Nov 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Jones has written a chilling and original story of revenge set in contemporary Indian Country that had me staying up late turning pages as fast as I could. The book is bloody and brutal at times, but also intimate, heartbreaking and ultimately hopeful. Jones boldly and bravely incorporates both the difficult and the beautiful parts of contemporary Indian life into his story, never once falling into stereotypes or easy answers but also not shying away from the horrors caused by cycles of ...more
megs_bookrack
Wishes really do come true!

Thank you to Gallery Books for providing me with an ARC. I love the sounds of this. Y'all know, I am always down for a strong revenge plot!

Early reviews for this are encouraging and I can't wait to pick it up!!!

Happy day!!!
Julie (JuJu)
Mar 12, 2020 rated it really liked it
What a freaky, mind-blowing and unforgettable read!

The beginning of this gutsy book grabbed my attention and it was hard to quit reading. Like many others, I stumbled through the writing style. It was hard to stay engaged at times, but it was worth it. This author has one freaky imagination!

This absolutely gorgeous cover caught my eye several times before I finally read the description. Indian culture and tradition has always fascinated me, then the horror aspect sealed the deal.

Youll need a
Vonda
Feb 02, 2020 rated it liked it
Being an Indian and loving horror I was excited to get this ARC. The premise was original and intriguing, it drew me in. It turned out to be a huge disappointment. The writing was flat, banal and confusing. It was slow paced adn just never grabbed me.
Jessica Woodbury
Oct 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
An absolutely excellent start to my Horror Marathon for this year. Horror can only be good if it is about more than just a monster or evil force. If you aren't invested in the people and the place and the time you are in, then none of it is all that scary. Even if the monster is something you'd never even thought to be scared of (honestly had never once in my entire life thought I should be creeped out by elk, but now I will be creeped out by them forever) good horror will make you scared of it ...more
Dennis
Stephen Graham Jones' upcoming horror novel, The Only Good Indians is an #ownvoices story of several Native American men in Blackfeet Nation and how one decision has affected them in their current surroundings. These four men are battle against a vengeful deity of some kind that is seeking revenge on this group. It seeks out those who love them and the closest people in their circleand doesn't have sympathy for who it takes down.

My review will be short, because obviously it's a negative one,
Tracy Robinson
Nov 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: tbr-wishlist
Review to come for Sci Fi and Scary. Know that from the first line of the novel to the last line of the Acknowledgments, I was ensconced in this world. No exaggeration or hype. Just damn good writing and beautiful, horrifying storytelling.

Full review:
I know this book doesnt release until May, but I simply could not wait. 2019 is the year I started reading Stephen Graham Jones. Ive only read/reviewed Mongrels and All the Beautiful Sinners , and I am so thankful there are many more back titles
Robin Bonne
5 Stars.
Stephen Graham Jones has done it once again; he wrote a terrifying book that had me biting my nails and quickly turning pages. I can safely say that he is my all-time favorite horror author and this is one of his best.

This is a story about a vengeful elk. A group of friends shot at a herd of elk, causing a pregnant elk to die. She came back to seek revenge on them and their children, including their beloved dogs.

The violence is well written; gory but not excessive. The scenes described
Kendall
Dec 24, 2019 rated it it was ok
This has been getting raving reviews... so I want you to take this review with a grain of salt ;).

I really really struggled with this book. I found it extremely slow and had issues with the writing style. I feel like the story never grabbed me from page one and was waiting for something to happen.... it just lost me. I love a good horror book but this just wasn't for me and feel like I wasn't the best reader for this book.

There have been many positive glowing reviews so give it try you may love
Latasha
Dec 07, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This one will stick with you for a while.I liked all of it- the characters, the setting, the writing. everything. This is the story of 4 Blackfeet youths that hunt on reserved land for tribal Elders and what it cost them. It's a story of revenge, loss, broken hearts and lastly, hope. SGJ is a master story teller and i hope to read a lot more from him in the future.
Linda
Woe is me......

I so wanted to love this one with its Native American theme. The Prologue grabbed me right off the bat reaching back in time to nine years in the past. Stephen Graham Jones had me transfixed while introducing Ricky Boss Ribs, a member of the Blackfeet tribe, who worked on a drilling crew in North Dakota. Ricky finds himself outside of a bar after too much to drink. The moon seems to be playing tricks as Ricky spots a young elk running wildly into the parked vehicles in the lot. As
Jon Recluse
Nov 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror, netgalley
When four young members of the Blackfeet Nation decide to hunt on reservation land reserved for tribal elders, it costs them the right to hunt on reservation land ever again.

Ten years later, they will learn the price is much higher than that. And they won't be the only ones to pay it.

For prey has become the hunter. Maternal instinct fuels unrelenting vengeance as a nature spirit rises from a killing field to balance the scales.

A brilliant, literary Native American horror novel that is incredibly
Stephanie (That's What She Read)
Pop Sugar Reading Challenge: Read a book released in 2020

I was excited to dig into the new Stephen Graham Jones book, since I've enjoyed everything he's written. This is a supernatural revenge story that does not hold back when it comes to pushing the envelope on what's emotionally brutal and chilling. The only issue I had with it was uneven pacing. The story starts with bang, and then that momentum is stalled when the next character is introduced and we have to wait for that story to build up
Audra (ouija.doodle.reads)
Nov 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: horror
So, maybe you arent much of a horror person. I know those people. Ive met those people. Oh, that stuff? they say. Blood and gore and knives and screaming and jump scares? Thats not for me, they always say. Why would you be interested in all that?

It might be my favorite question, honestly.

And now to go along with that question, I have the perfect book to put in their hands.

Horror is whats scary, sure. Its whatever we try to lock away in some dusty and dimly lit corner of our minds, pretending it
Kimberly
4.5 Stars, rounding up.

THE ONLY GOOD INDIANS, by Stephen Graham Jones, is a novel that kept my attention throughout most every single page. Whether we were in the present time, exploring past events, or changing point-of-view, I never had any question as to what was happening, or when.

We have a set of main characters--each of whom we get to know intimately--who shared an experience ten years in their past that was to forever alter the course of their futures. The pacing was just about perfect,
Kristi
Nov 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The Only Good Indians by Stephen Graham Jones is a wickedly well written horror story that went far above my expectations! It is an eerily creepy tale about a supernatural force of nature seeking revenge; honestly, this is not what I was expecting and I mean this in the most awesome way possible!

Mr. Jones wrote the characters so deeply fleshed which made for a really affecting reading experience; Fear, guilt, sadness, compassion, pity, anxiety, heart-break There were a few times that I needed
OutlawPoet
Dec 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Brutal.

Heartbreaking.

Beautiful.

The Only Good Indians, by Stephan Graham Jones, was a must read for me the moment I saw the cover and read the descriptionand it did not disappoint.

The author manages to break your heart and build up your hope time and time again.

While I loved the cultural perspective here, I reveled in the nuanced horror story the author brought us. The mix of horror and pure beauty was stunning.

A truly outstanding read!

*ARC via Net Galley

destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries]
I want this so bad it hurts a little 💀💀💀
FanFiAddict
Nov 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Rating: ★★★★★+

Synopsis

Peter Straubs Ghost Story meets Liane Moriartys Big Little Lies in this American Indian horror story of revenge on the Blackfeet Indian Reservation.

Four American Indian men from the Blackfeet Nation, who were childhood friends, find themselves in a desperate struggle for their lives, against an entity that wants to exact revenge upon them for what they did during an elk hunt ten years earlier by killing them, their families, and friends.

Review

Thanks to the publisher and
Rachel (TheShadesofOrange)
Mar 07, 2020 marked it as review-book-dnfs
Shelves: horror
This was an incredibly well written piece of literary horror. Unfortunately, I just dont think it was for me. I really liked the aspects of the story involving Native American culture and the stereotypes and challenges surrounding this minority group. Since this is an #ownvoice story, I believe the author did a fantastic job giving a voice to his people. However, as a story, particularly a horror story, I found this one lacking narrative drive and plot. Despite the synopsis, I found very little ...more
Elliot
Nov 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a truly strange book, and I like that about it. Jones really nails the whole creeping dread, slow burn, unhinged reality thing. And I am here for it. I also appreciated how much of this story was tied to Native American experiences and storytelling. This book couldn't have been written by, or about, white people and been even remotely similar. The horror, characters, and narrative all tie so tightly into native topics that you could never pull them apart. It was probably my favorite ...more
Hacen
Jan 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
Actual Rating: 4.5

Woah. This book is insane. Rarely does a book leave me feeling as horrified as this one did. Slow pace but I think that made the shock of what was happening in certain scenes even better.

Received from NetGalley
⭐ Roxie |The Book Slayer| Voorhees ⭐
"What'd they use in the old days, wood? Horn? A bladder? The skullcap of a wolverine, because the old days were metal as hell?"

Real, witty, creative, and representation!
The Only Good Indians is a modern Native American legendesque story about a group of guys that have done some super uncool stuff to the animal kind. We first follow Lewis through is dive into madness as the spirit of an elk calf h(a)unts him. We then travel back to the reservation where the other friends, Gabriel and Cass (Ricky
Octavia (ReadsWithDogs)
I stayed in bed too late this morning finishing this book even as my kitten screamed at me and my dogs grumbled for food because I had to finish it and see how it ended and who, if anyone, would survive.

The Only Good Indians is the new realistic horror we need right now. An #ownvoices story of American Indian men in the Blackfeet tribe who made a choice ten years ago during an elk hunt gone wrong that comes back to haunt them.

The characters are real, the gore is visceral and the end had me
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Bookish First Rea...: The Only Good Indians by Stephen Graham Jones 4 7 Feb 20, 2020 11:57AM

• The Southern Book Club's Guide to Slaying Vampires
  • Please See Us
  • The Living Dead
  • The Girl from Widow Hills
  • Sin Eater
  • The Cult Called Freedom House (Sophia Rey #1)
  • The Herd
  • True Crime
  • The Ancestor
  • Strange Girls: Women in Horror Anthology
  • The Chill
Stephen Graham Jones is the author of fifteen novels and six collections. He really likes werewolves and slashers. Favorite novels change daily, but Valis and Love Medicine and Lonesome Dove and It and The Things They Carried are all usually up there somewhere. Stephen lives in Boulder, Colorado. It's a big change from the West Texas he grew up in. He's married with a couple kids, and probably one ...more

Articles featuring this book

Spring ushers in blooming flowers, warmer weather, and more daylight hours for reading! We're here to help you beat any lingering winter b...