Start by marking “Living the Mysteries: A Guide for Unfinished Christians” as Want to Read:
Living the Mysteries: A Guide for Unfinished Christians

Living the Mysteries: A Guide for Unfinished Christians

Living the Mysteries is a daily devotional--and more--for the period from Easter to Pentecost. Each day features: a brief meditation; a short passage from that day's Mass readings; a reflection on the reading adapted from the writings of the Fathers of the Church; a particular focusing on a relevant point of the mystical or moral life; and a plan with practical application ...more
Published September 1st 2003 by Our Sunday Visitor (IN) (first published January 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Living the Mysteries, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Living the Mysteries

Start your review of Living the Mysteries: A Guide for Unfinished Christians
Jessica Wade
Jul 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Contains excerpts from the writings/homilies of the early Church fathers on the sacraments and Christian life. Excellent for prayer, also good for learning about the roots of the Catholic Church’s understanding of the sacraments.
Stuart
Jan 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Scott Hahn and Mike Aquilina should need no introduction, especially if you have read any of my other reviews. Both have written thousands of pages on Catholic doctrine and devotion. This book is intended to be read after Easter as it is a series of reflections or devotions over 50 days. However, one would benefit from reading it at any point in the Church's calendar, as we are all unfinished Christians.

Upon reading the first few pages of this book, the reader is informed that the content of the
Nathaniel Turner
Dec 30, 2011 rated it really liked it
This is a good little devotional. It is, in fact, much smaller than my time to read it suggests. It has 50 passages on the mysteries of the Church, meant to be read each day following Easter, so that the final reading falls on Pentecost. I wish I had read it to succinctly. I also wish I had maintained an attempt to memorize the memorization bits for each day, to make the devotional more effective in my life.

That said, the book was not perfect. The translations were, occasionally, quirky. The con
Regena
Apr 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
While I think this might prove a good introduction for those who know basically nothing about church teachings, for someone who wants more knowledge of early church fathers' teachings, it simply does not fit the bill. It is much too simplistic to prove helpful.

I am re-reading this book again to see if I was too hasty in my opinion of it....

I liked it better this time around. I think that last time I had just finished most of my RCIA courses and was expecting the readings of the ancient theologia
Robert
Mar 29, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Helpful guide for a somewhat neglected period of the calendar.

There are many devotional guides for times like Lent and Advent, but I'd never seen one for Pentecost until this book. It's a 40-day reading plan that starts at Easter and goes through Pentecost, which is a time in the Church year of great importance. It draws from a handful of Church fathers and focuses on mystagogy, the learning of mysteries commonly undertaken by new Christians following their baptism. As a new Catholic convert, I
Ken
Sep 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: catholic
This is a great book for use in the Mystagogy portion of RCIA, or for a sacramental retreat for adult Catholics. It consists of small excerpts from the sermons and writings of the Fathers and Doctors of the Church, reflecting on the graces and meaning of the liturgy and the sacraments. It is keyed to a 50-day period, corresponding with the Easter Season, so it is clearly designed for those who have been initiated into the Church at Easter - the neophytes. However, because many Catholics were bap ...more
Fredrick Williams
Sep 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A must read for all Christians especially Christians or people searching to find their way that are questioning faith in God, Jesus, and the Holy Spirit. Marvelous read on many of our great, early Saints. Enjoy and learn.
Gina Gleason
Apr 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Excellent private study on the teachings of the early Church Fathers. Organized into topics and divided into short excerpts. A great daily meditation.
Hannah
Jun 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Nice book following RCIA
Chris
Mar 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The book is a 50-day devotional meant to be read between Easter and Pentecost, the traditional period of Mystagogy for the recently baptized. Each day has a different writing from one of the Church Father's on the topics of the Sacraments, the Eucharist, the Church, the Christian Life, and the Glory of God.

St. Gregory of Nyssa, St. Cyril of Jerusalem, St. Clement of Alexandria, St. Ambrose of Milan, St. Augustine of Hippo, St. John Chrysostom, and St. Leo the Great.

I may just re-read this every
Katarzyna Balutowski
Dec 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is very enjoyable. Especially if you take it one day at a time.
Kristina Catherine
Jun 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Really cool Easter to Pentacost "devotional." This is a great read for anyone who's been baptized, and especially for anyone who's ever been confirmed in the catholic church. Great little excerpts from early church fathers explaining what we believe as Christians, with just a little modern commentary and life applications. The intro chapters are also very informative.

I would not recommend this book to anyone who is not yet baptized as it's not exactly an intro to Christianity (for that I would r
Darinda
Apr 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
Read this for discussion following RCIA. Great book.
Biff
« previous 1 3 next »

• General Principles of Sacramental Theology
  • Forty Reasons I Am a Catholic
  • The Spirit of the Liturgy
  • Patriot Games (Jack Ryan, #1)
  • Serotonin
  • A Grief Observed
  • Time for God: A Guide to Mental Prayer
  • Ross Poldark (Poldark #1)
  • You Need a Budget (Ynab)
  • 7 Secrets of Confession
  • The Abolition of Man
  • The Gifts of Imperfection
  • Interior Freedom
  • The Brothers Karamazov
  • Daring Greatly: How the Courage to Be Vulnerable Transforms the Way We Live, Love, Parent, and Lead
  • The Power of Silence: Against the Dictatorship of Noise
  • Running with Sherman
  • The Wellspring Of Worship
Dr. Scott Hahn was born in 1957, and has been married to Kimberly since 1979. He and Kimberly have six children and are expecting their twelfth grandchild. An exceptionally popular speaker and teacher, Dr. Hahn has delivered numerous talks nationally and internationally on a wide variety of topics related to Scripture and the Catholic faith. Hundreds of these talks have been produced on audio and ...more

News & Interviews