Start by marking “My Beautiful Detour: An Unthinkable Journey from Gutless to Grateful” as Want to Read:
My Beautiful Detour: An Unthinkable Journey from Gutless to Grateful

My Beautiful Detour: An Unthinkable Journey from Gutless to Grateful

An estimated 70 percent of adults in the United States have experienced a traumatic event at least once in their lives and up to 20 percent of these people go on to develop posttraumatic stress disorder, or PTSD. An estimated 5 percent of Americans—more than 13 million people—have PTSD at any given time.

Amy Oestreicher was one of them. So, what happens when an ordinary te
Published May 29th 2019 by Singing Tree Publishing

To ask other readers questions about My Beautiful Detour, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about My Beautiful Detour

Start your review of My Beautiful Detour: An Unthinkable Journey from Gutless to Grateful
Gabriele
I'm pretty split on this book.
On the one hand, I thought it was pretty great because I have a similar illness to the author, and actually don't know of any book that describes so accurately what that means. Amy Oestreicher describes very authentically how it feels to live with intestinal failure. And how to cope with it or to not cope with it. Sometimes I was very touched by her thoughts. So as for the medical and psychosocial descriptions, this book is one of my all-time favorites: 5 stars.
On
Sharon
Apr 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
#lovemydetour

I saw Amy speak 2 years ago and am glad I finally dedicated time to reading her book. She uses gratitude practice and art to help heal from sexual assault and so many medical issues and setbacks. I love her metaphor of embracing the detours in our lives and learning lessons from them.
Esta Berman-price
Jan 07, 2020 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Poorly written, so many typos and grammatical errors and not
Susan Levine
Jan 26, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the most inspirational books I have ever read.

Amy’s story is endearing, compelling, and emotional. I was captivated from beginning to end. I highly rate this book for young and old.
BreeAnn (She Just Loves Books)
What I Loved: I had this on my to-be-read list for January, but when I received it from the author, I just couldn’t wait to get started, so I put aside some other books on my list and pushed this one to the top. I’m so glad I did! My Beautiful Detour is a beautifully written story filled with heartache, loss, growth, and amazing strength. I was so impressed with the way this story was written. I felt sucked in and devastated for Amy, but it was so uplifting as well.

How I Felt: My Beautiful Detou
Marilyn Wilson
Dec 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
If you've been following my book reviews or personal writing, you will know I am strongly drawn to the stories of others. Reality TV is a MEH for me. It's listening to real people share their real stories that stirs my imagination and gives me goosebumps. So when I heard about My Beautiful Detour, I just had to read it.

The book starts by showing us the positive, bright, musically talented, over-the-top, buoyant child and then teen Amy was. Life was good and she had her future clearly mapped out
Jeffrey
Jan 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book is a journey of an amazing warrior from the hallways of a dreary hospital to a beautiful life as a Detourist. I was amazed by the content and enthralled by the positive theme running through the book. This is a tale of suspense, mystery, humanity, love, and of family. I loved the book. I bought the book through Amy's website to be sure and have a signed edition. I would recommend this reading for anyone that needs some positivity in their live. #Jewish Princess ...more
Jennifer Hochberg
Jan 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Such an inspiring book, with lessons that each of us can apply in our own lives! Very proud that the author, Amy Oestreicher, is from my hometown of Fairfield, CT! While her book was launched back in the summer of 2019, I found it to be the perfect read to start off 2020 with, and her story is incredible!
The P.Turners
Please see blog for [K]'s review: https://thepturnersbookblog.wordpress... ...more
Ann

• The silent T: Encouraging "I CAN" Attitude
  • After the Flood
  • Stefan’s Promise
  • Kill Code
  • Happy Easter, Little Hoo!
  • On Gull Beach
  • The Seven Spiritual Laws of Success: A Practical Guide to the Fulfillment of Your Dreams
  • The Nutcracker Conspiracy (Thorny Rose #4)
  • Notes to My Son
  • Everyone Brave is Forgiven
  • Of Bitter Herbs and Sweet Confections
  • The Story of Arthur Truluv (Mason, #1)
  • Perils and Pearls: In World War II, a Family's Story of Survival and Freedom from Japanese Jungle Prison Camps
  • A Child Lost (Henrietta and Inspector Howard #5)
Amy Oestreicher is an Audie Award-nominated author, writer for The Huffington Post, speaker for TEDx and RAINN, health advocate, award-winning actress, mixed media artist, songwriter and playwright. As a survivor and “thriver” of multiple traumas, Amy eagerly shares the gifts of life’s “beautiful detours” and the tremendous gifts that can be reaped from adversity. She has toured “Gutless & Gratefu ...more