Start by marking “Katherine - Tudor Duchess (The Brandon Trilogy Book 3)” as Want to Read:
Katherine - Tudor Duchess (The Brandon Trilogy Book 3)

Katherine - Tudor Duchess

(Brandon Trilogy #3)

She stands up for what she believes in...
but such courage has consequences

Attractive, wealthy and influential, Katherine Willoughby is one of the most unusual ladies of the Tudor court. A favourite of King Henry VIII, Katherine knows all his six wives, his daughters Mary and Elizabeth, and his son Edward, as well as being related by marriage to Lady Jane Grey.

When her
Published October 1st 2019 by Preseli Press (first published September 25th 2019)

To ask other readers questions about Katherine - Tudor Duchess, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Katherine - Tudor Duchess

Start your review of Katherine - Tudor Duchess (The Brandon Trilogy Book 3)
Nursebookie
This the third book of the Brandon Tudor stories from Tony Riches. Katherine Willoughby is a very influential lady in the Tudor court since she is close with all of King Henry VIII wives and King Henry VIII himself as his children Mary, Elizabeth and Edward. So close was Katherine with Henry VIII there were talks that she might have been the seventh wife. Unfortunately her story somewhat ends at the reign of Queen Elizabeth I since she was not invited to her court and most likely due to her voca ...more
N.A. Granger
May 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I was first introduced to Tony Riches when I read the books in his Tudor Trilogy, about the founding and growth of the Tudor family. The history is compelling. For Mary – Tudor Princess, and this book, Katherine – Tudor Duchess, the reader experiences the Tudor family from a woman’s point of view. The author hasn’t lost a step in the transition.
Katherine Willoughby was born at Parham Hall in Suffolk in 1519, daughter of the 11th Baron of Willoughby and his second wife, Maria de Salina, who had c
Andrea Guy
I've been reading a lot of English history historical fiction right now. I went from Richard III to the Tudors. Katherine Willoughby is definitely an interesting historical figure. ( I actually started reading this book on the kindle app on my phone during a boring night at work)

I was immediately caught up in the story of a woman who lived through all of Henry VIII's wives. Her mother was a lady in waiting to Catherine of Aragon.

If you read any novels about Henry VIII you'll find her mentioned.
Jennie Morris
Aug 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
While I’m not a Tudor expert, I’m familiar with the main players of the time. Somehow, Katherine, this woman so interlaced in Henry VIII’s court, went unnoticed.

Riches lets Katherine’s story overlap with the previous book, so there is no gap in the chronology, making for a smooth transition. From there, he weaves an intriguing multi-layered tale of a woman who grew from having no power, to being a powerhouse in her own right.

I thoroughly enjoyed the book. Riches has done his research, which is
David Fitz-Gerald
Though I haven’t studied this period in history for a very long time, I found myself visiting London this summer. At the Tower of London, the Yeoman Warder spoke fantastically about the horrors of the beheadings that occurred there. I might have benefitted from reading this book before going on that tour. On the other hand, reading it subsequently is kind of like a souvenir.

From the very beginning, the question on my mind was whether Katherine’s head would remain on her shoulders. The pages and
gwendalyn _books_
This book was received from the Author, and Publisher, in exchange for an honest review. Opinions and thoughts expressed in this review are completely my own.

Katherine’s remarkable true story continues the epic tale of the rise of the Tudors, which began with the best-selling Tudor trilogy and concludes with the reign of Queen Elizabeth I.
Katherine Willoughby is a ward of the crown having most of her life at one of her father’s estate at Parham. Katherine became a great heiresses after the passi
Lori
Nov 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
You know, I was in love with this book even before I opened it.
Why you ask? Simply put it's about the Tudor family dynasty!! I devour anything that's written about them. They are a fascinating family!
This is a new to me author and I fell in love with his works. I love how he made King Henry 8th, Charles Brandon and Katherine come alive again. Just wow!!
I loved the many twists and turns that goes throughout this book that you will most likely finish it in a day it's just so good!! And trust me,
Stephanie
Nov 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Katherine Willoughby is the daughter of Maria de Salinas, one of Queen Catherine of Aragon's ladies-in-waiting. Katherine's father dies when she is young and Katherine is taken in as a ward of Sir Charles Brandon, brother-in-law to King Henry VIII. Katherine grows up alongside his children and believes that she will one day marry Charles' son, Henry. However, after the death of Charles' wife, Charles decides to marry Katherine herself and Katherine is made the Duchess of Suffolk at the age of fo ...more
Helen Hollick
Nov 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book has received a Discovering Diamonds Review:
Helen Hollick
founder #DDRevs

"The characters are wonderfully drawn. From king to queen to servant, each were brought vividly to life, whether you liked or loathed them."
Mary Yarde
Nov 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

"This is an opportunity most girls of your age can only dream of..."

But nine-year-old Katherine Willoughby has no desire to leave her beloved Parham Hall, the place where she had been born. However, although tender in years, Katherine knows that her desires will not be taken into consideration. King Henry has sold her wardship to his brother-in-law, Sir Charles Brandon, 1st Duke of Suffolk, and there is nothing Katherine nor anyone else can do about it.

To her surprised delight, Westhorp Hall soo
Amy  McElroy
Dec 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Cathy Brown
Sep 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Loved it!

I loved this story of a Tudor Duchess. I knew very little about Katherine other than she was married very young to Charles Brandon. I have to admit, my opinion of Charles Brandon has diminished somewhat. He came across to me as a little creepy with his efforts to marry Katherine himself instead of to his son. I'm sure her status as a heiress was the main reason but his obvious delight in such a young girl is off putting. I know marriages at young ages were common for the period and we h
Tammie O
Apr 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Beautifully Stiffen

I've read all three books in this series and adored each one .I'm embarrassed to admit my dislike for the Duchess after watching the Tudors . I'm happy to admit my ignorance and change my opinion .Any part of her life would have made me crumble and give up .She showed loyalty for her beliefs and made the best out of every circumstance .I enjoyed all Three books but Katherine 's was the one I enjoyed most .The funny part was I started reading them to find out more about Mary an
unknown
Mar 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Having read the first two books The Brandon trilogy i was doubtful that this one ,about a character i knew title of. I was not disappointed this book was as infor!stove as the first two. I admire the way the author can convey the sense of history and to!ance without giving us chapters of unnecessary sex.t

Will definitely be an avid reader of any books Tony Riches writes. It is five in the !morning and I parent look for any !more of his books or i will never get any sleep. I a! Reading there books
Dori
Apr 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Awesome look into Tudor life

It was refreshing to read an account of Tudor history that allowed the characters be flawed and human. This novel have us a look through the eyes of one who lived so close to kings and queens
Joan Barden
Jul 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book of a lesser known Tudor kept my attention the whole way. Very well written history of the times with compelling characters. You learn much about the times while enjoying a great story and feeling like you know personally the main characters.
Teresa Araujo
Sep 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Katherinw

A very good read and I really liked the series. I am definitely looking forward to many more fine books!
Stephanie
Dec 01, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Katherine Willoughby is one of those characters that I have wanted to read more about for a long time so I was excited to see how she was portrayed.

While I thoroughly enjoyed most of this book, one thing to note is that it covers a large span of time in a very short amount of pages. Sometimes that means there are quick time jumps and some gaps in the story. I understand the need for this, otherwise the book could have been much longer, but it did leave me wanting more.

Also, I’m not sure if it w
Karen Humphreys
Feb 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
An interesting lady

A very interesting reading about an interesting Tudor lady a remarkable lady who I know very little about thank you
Phyllis H. Pajka
Feb 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book. It shows a good history of the times and keeps you interested. The story is very good and, of course, deals with another Katherine and her life being married to a man 30+ her senior. It does show how little you could say in those days and not be put in the tower. I think you would enjoy this book as much as I did.
Diana Jackson
Mar 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Katherine Willoughby's unlikely marriage to Charles Brandon her guardian,  makes her a baroness and leads to her walking close on the heels of all of Henry VIII's wives ~ and between wives, even the King himself.  She manages to remain in favour ~ just, leading to a hasty escape to the continent.

Katherine finds happiness with her older husband, but much sadness too, as she suffers the loss of many close to her ~ it is a real roller coaster of emotions.

'Katherine the Duchess' is  a novel which gr
Heidi Malagisi
Oct 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When one thinks about women reformers during the time of the Tudors, certain women like Catherine Parr and Anne Aske come to mind. However, there was one who really should get more attention and her name is Katherine Willoughby. She was the last wife of Charles Brandon. Her mother was Maria de Salinas, a lady in waiting to Catherine of Aragon and a devout Catholic. Katherine knew all six of Henry VIII’s wives on a personal level and knew all of his children. She has often been seen as an afterth ...more
margaret fitzgerald
Feb 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Imteresting history, direct writing with no embellishment, probably accurate historically.

I enjoyed this book, but it is very direct and short.it would be nice to have ,more detail about characters.
HalKid2
Jan 05, 2020 rated it liked it
Done! This is the final book in a three-novel series about Charles Brandon, Duke of Suffolk and close friend to King Henry VIII. It's the life story of his final wife, Katherine Willoughby, whose Spanish-born mother was a lady-in-waiting to Queen Catherine of Aragon.

Katherine was originally Charles' ward, a wardship he purchased in the hopes of one day providing his son with a wealthy wife. But after the death of his third wife Mary Tudor (sister to Henry VIII and widow of King Louis XII of Fran
lynne
Oct 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Another so her for Tony

Having read so many Tudor era books over the years it was nice to read about a character I knew so little about. I enjoyed reading more about Katherine and had no idea she had such an interesting life.

I'm not usually a fan of stories about the religious war but found this one to be entertaining and not too serious. I've read most of the books written by Tony and have enjoyed them all.
losira13gmail.com
Dec 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A book that can stand on its own

I know that it is the third book in a trilogy but the way it has been written, it is a story that can stand on its own. As the Tudors have been endlessly written about, reading this book gives you a different perspective of about another member of the family who has been mentioned but I don't believe much has been written about. I think that this was a very enjoyable story and I may go and read the first book in the Trilogy.
Collete Allen
Nov 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Another hit

There's nothing better than the other characters in a story, the nobles courtier's and the ladies I love to read about them not just the monarch of the times, I have read all Mr Riches work and look forward to more
Nikkolle Fuscaldo
Nov 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great book! Fast read!

This book was great. It was very interesting to view everything from Katherine's perspective as she was very involved during the later tudor reign and she's usually relegated to a background "character". This was a very fast read and very well researched.
Mrs L.A. Bailey
Jan 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Very Enjoyable

As someone who has studied reformation history seriously, a historical novel needs to quite special to satisfy me. This one did. I was drawn into it and enjoyed it from start to finish.
Rosie Lee
Oct 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another smash hit by the great Tony Riches

• The Queen In Waiting: Mary Tudor takes the throne (The Tudor Saga #5)
  • Tudor Dawn: Henry Tudor is ready to take the crown... (The Tudor Saga, #1)
  • The Heart of a King: The infamous reign of Elizabeth I (The Tudor Saga Series Book 6)
  • The King's Commoner: The rise and fall of Cardinal Wolsey (The Tudor Saga #2)
  • Justice For The Cardinal: Thomas Cromwell is out for revenge... (The Tudor Saga #3)
  • The Arbella Stuart Conspiracy (The Marquess House Trilogy Book 3)
  • The Elizabeth Tudor Conspiracy (The Marquess House Trilogy #2)
  • My Father, My Enemy: Juliane, Daughter of Henry I (Medieval Babes, Tales of Little-Known Ladies Book 6)
  • An Uneasy Crown: Power and politics at the Tudor court (The Tudor Saga Series Book 4)
  • The Falcon's Rise: A novel of Anne Boleyn
  • Katheryn Howard, the Scandalous Queen
  • The White Rose Rent: Katherine, Daughter of Richard III (Medieval Babes, Tales of Little-Known Ladies Book 4)
  • The Princess Nun: Mary, Daughter of Edward I (Medieval Babes: Tales of Little-Known Ladies, #5)
  • The Lady's Ambition
  • The Catherine Howard Conspiracy (The Marquess House Trilogy #1)
  • Scourge of Henry VIII: The Life of Marie de Guise
  • My Fair Lady: A Story of Eleanor of Provence, Henry III's Lost Queen
  • A Tapestry of Treason
Tony Riches is a full-time author from Pembrokeshire, West Wales, an area full of inspiration for his writing.

Best known for his Tudor Trilogy, Tony's other international best sellers include 'Mary - Tudor Princess, 'Brandon - Tudor Knight' and 'Katherine - Tudor Duchess'.

In his spare time Tony enjoys sailing and sea kayaking. Visit Tony's website at www.tonyriches.com, Tony Riches Author on Fac

Brandon Trilogy (3 books)
  • Mary: Tudor Princess (Brandon Trilogy, #1)
  • Brandon: Tudor Knight (Brandon Trilogy, #2)