Start by marking “Sisters” as Want to Read:
Sisters

Sisters

Is blood really thicker than water?

Abby and Ellie were never close as children. Now in their thirties, they each harbour deep-rooted resentment for the other - Abby for her sister's looks and her status as their mother's favourite. Ellie meanwhile is envious of Abby's perfect husband and picturesque home, a villa on the sun-soaked Italian island of Elba.

When Abby invites E
Kindle Edition
Published July 23rd 2020 by Pan

To ask other readers questions about Sisters, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sisters

Start your review of Sisters
Ceecee
May 23, 2020 rated it really liked it
Abby is exceptionally hard working, successful, makes a mint but is frugal, retires at 36, marries an Italian called Matteo and they settle on Elba. Sister Ellie is a teaching assistant, massively in debt, lives life to the full, a bit frivolous and somewhat resentful of Abby’s success. The sisters have very contrasting attitudes to life. As a child Ellie missed a lot of school through illness and mother Susanna nursed her devotedly and they are very close. Abby frequently felt and still feels l ...more
Ivana - Diary of Difference
Wishlist | Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | Pinterest

I am extremely happy and excited to be part of the blog tour for Sisters by Michelle Frances. Thank you to the team at Pan Macmillan - for sending me a copy in exchange for an honest review. Check out the other book bloggers that are part of the tour as well:

Synopsis:

Is blood really thicker than water?

Mandy White (mandylovestoread)
Sisters by Michelle Frances is a quick, fun summer read. It is twisty and fairly unpredictable makin*. It a page turner in my book. The ending was shocking and crazy!

Abby and Ellie are sisters than have never really bonded. Ellie was clearly her mother’s favourite and Abby is resentful of that fact. But things are looking up when newly married Abby invited Ellie to holiday with her at her gorgeous villa in Italy. Maybe they can finally be friends. But their mother arrives, throwing a spanner in
Amanda
Jun 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Sisters Ellie and Abby are like chalk and cheese and have never been close. Growing up Ellie was often poorly and was quite clearly her mother’s favourite.

Now they are adults Ellie has gone to visit Abby who has retired at the age of 36 and married an Italian policeman. The same jealousies are there as Ellie a teaching assistant struggles with her finances whilst her sister has money, but is very frugal with it. They are hoping that their time together will make them closer, but when their moth
Mark
Jun 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
‘The Temp’ ‘The Girlfriend’ ‘The Daughter’.....if you have read the authors 3 previous books you will have a good idea of what to expect from ‘Sisters’, and it doesn’t disappoint
Its tricky not to give anything away suffice to say they are 2 Sisters, leading very different lives with polar personalities and ‘just about get along’, this suits the Mum very well, she fuels it, until something happens and the Mum no longer controls the situation and what happens next is a full on, fast and furious ad
Zoe
Jan 03, 2021 rated it really liked it
Simmering, twisty, and intricate!

Sisters is a fast-paced, character-driven, domestic thriller that takes you into the lives of two sisters, Abbie, a hardworking, overachiever and Ellie a younger, prettier, free spirit as they each grapple with sibling rivalry, enduring jealousy, resentments, and long-buried secrets that will change their lives forever.

The prose is crisp and intense. The characters are envious, secretive, and troubled. And the plot told from differing perspectives unfolds rapidly
Tripfiction
Sep 29, 2020 rated it really liked it
Psychological thriller set around the MEDITERRANEAN

Our You Tube review: https://youtu.be/nlUhyIbQpus

3.5*
The author has taken the concept of sibling rivalry and set it at the heart of her novel. Susannah is the mother of the eponymous sisters of the title, Abby, the older sister and Ellie, the younger. Ellie, throughout her childhood spent a great deal of time being ill with an undiagnosed condition. She had a lot of time off school and now struggles financially and with her career. Abby, by cont
Rach
Jun 08, 2020 rated it liked it
Abby and Ellie are sisters. They have never really got on and Ellie appears to be their mum’s favourite. Abby invites Ellie to stay at her villa on the Italian island of Elba. Ellie is a bit envious of Abby’s husband and villa. Tension is at high between them especially when their mum turns up. A big secret is revealed and the sisters have to rely on each and slowly mend their relationship.

The book is told in past and present.

This book is mainly about relationships. Both sisters in the book have
Natalie Vellacott
Nov 25, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fiction
Not much depth to the plot

I began reading this and wondered if it might have been written for teens. It is extremely simplistic and full of stereotypes. One sister is frugal, straight laced, dowdy and plain but rich. The other is beautiful, reckless, friendly and broke. The mother has always favoured the latter but the reason is unclear. This has caused simmering tensions which come to a head on a joint holiday.

The plot is far fetched. There are a lot of loose ends. There is bad language and vi
Akcherrybomb
Jun 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Intense thriller had me hooked.

Two sisters. Two stories. Who to believe.

Abbi & Ellie, both craving things the other has ever since they were small children. Abbi a high flyer, with plenty of money and leads a charmed life, but with her own demons ; Ellie lacked in schooling, missed out on so much, struggles for money, the one who had all the attention from their mother.

Can past resentments be put to bed? Abbi invites her sister for a holiday at her new home. Their mother tags along and doesn'
Beth (tea.andtales)
Aug 05, 2020 rated it liked it
I enjoyed this book and did find myself intrigued by the storyline, however, I almost found it a little too simple. The “twist” happens quite early on and even though I was swaying between what to believe throughout the book; the ending was a little disappointing. Overall I don’t have tonnes to say about it, it was the perfect holiday read and I’m glad I’ve read it, but it’s not one of my favs.
Jess Rendle
Sep 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
Loved this book soooooo much.... the twists were so unexpected and it was so hard to know who was being honest. Made you second guess and not know who to root for. Loved reading this!! Highly recommend... so hyped yet dont know what to write
Kelly Lacey
Jul 27, 2020 rated it liked it
Review to follow
Bridget
After reading The Girlfriend, as well as The Temp, and The Daughter, all written by Michelle Frances, I was really looking forward to reading this book, Sisters.

Teaching assistant Ellie and hard working, successful Abby are sisters, very different in temperament, and not particularly close. Fun-loving, frivolous Ellie is envious of her sibling's achievements. At 36, Abby is retired, married to an Italian, Matteo, and comfortably settled in a glorious villa in Alba. But Abby is resentful of Ellie
Beth Alessandra
Jun 27, 2020 rated it really liked it
I got into this straight away and once I started I couldn't put it down. I loved the setting of Italy and really felt it added a lot to the story and worked well.
I found the character of Ellie to be a bit naive and young for her age however I think that was the point! The relationship between the sisters felt real and the jealousy was well conveyed.
I can really see this working well as a TV show.
A thrilling read!
Thanks to Netgalley and Pan Macmillan for the ARC.
ABookishRainbowSanctuary Nat
Dec 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
Yes! I really enjoyed this story from the author than I did The Girlfriend.

I have to admit I didn’t know who to believe either. I was gasping, OMG’ing, the plot was intriguing and I liked the where the author went with it.

I have to admit I wasn’t 💯 on the ending with the mom, but I did like the fact that it had me guessing until I got to the end.

I listened to this on Audible, so i really didn’t like the authors Italian accent LOL.

Other than that enjoyable!
Esther Bultitude
Jul 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2020

Abby has always been in her sister Ellie’s shadow ever since they were young. A sickly child, Ellie had all her mother’s attention and Abby felt left out.

As they grew up Abby was successful- enough so to retire to the idyllic island of Elba when she was 36 along with her handsome husband Matteo, an Italian policeman.

Ellie comes to stay for a long dinner holiday, unfortunately followed by their mother Susanna. After a freak accident, leaving their mother for dead they go on the run after Ellie le
Kayleigh Churchman
Jun 11, 2020 rated it really liked it
"Is blood really thicker than water?

When Abby invites Ellie to stay, both sisters see the break as a chance to relax and put aside their differences. But with their mother Susanna
Abbie
Jul 07, 2020 rated it liked it
Abby and Ellie are sisters who have never seen eye to eye. Abby is jealous of Ellie for being their mothers favourite and Ellie is jealous of Abby's success. Things take a dramatic turn one night and sees the two sisters on the run. Being alone together forces them to clear the air..but will they both make it out alive?

I've been a fan of Michelle Frances' writing ever since I read The Girlfriend and this was no exception. The author is great at creating a tense atmosphere from the outset making
Beachbubblesbooks
Aug 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
Looking for some summer reading? As its cover art insinuates, Sisters will keep you firmly on your sun lounger from dawn to dusk as this one-sitting fast paced read takes you on a journey of discovery of the relationship between Abby, sensible rule-following older sibling, and Ellie, breathtakingly beautiful with an unquenchable thirst for enjoying life's pleasures. Introduced to the pair at Abby's home on the island of Elba, what at first appears to be a tale of traditional sibling rivalry reve ...more
Hollie
May 25, 2020 rated it liked it
After reading and thoroughly enjoying ‘The Girlfriend’, I was so excited to read ‘Sisters’, however I was unfortunately left a little disappointed with this one.

I was hooked for the first 1/3 of the book, trying to work out who was trustworthy and who was lying etc, and I loved the familial tensions and sister rivalry. However, the pace of the book gradually got slower and even though there was action, it felt a little flat and I wasn’t gripped. I was also really confused by the ending; it all
Eleanor
May 25, 2020 rated it liked it
Thank you to Netgalley and the publishers for an ARC in exchange for an honest review.

I was so excited to read this book because I loved Michelle Frances' previous book 'The Girlfriend'. I really enjoyed reading 'Sisters' until I started to lose interest about two thirds of the way through. It started to feel slow and boring. I was disappointed, and actually confused, by the end of the book. I'm still not sure what exactly happened or if there was a resolution, even after talking about it with a
Dawn
May 30, 2020 rated it really liked it
Abby and Ellie are sisters but chalk and cheese! As a child Ellie was poorly a lot and it was clear she was the favourite child. Thirty years later Ellie is visiting Abby at her retirement home as Abby has worked hard and retired at 36! Married to an Italian policeman, Abby has an idyllic life. When a tragic accident happens the sisters lives will change forever.
This was such a good read, I enjoyed it and it felt different to her other books. Thank you to netgalley and the publishers for this a
Lavender
Jul 15, 2020 rated it did not like it
Shelves: netgalley, dnf
DNF
This book was not for me. I knew it almost immediately. I did not care for the sisters because they are horrible characters. So full of themselves. I found Ellie to be winy and Abby weird - in a bad way - and stingy. After Ellie arrived in Italy something happend and that was the point I decided I don't want to follow them any more. I skipped to the end and I think I was right to stop reading. This story was not for me.

I received an ARC from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review
Katey Lovell
May 24, 2020 rated it really liked it
Abby and Ellie - sisters with very different lives. They've never got along, but now Abby has taken early retirement (at 36!) and married an Italian policeman. She invites her sister to her new home in Europe, but it doesn't take long for everything to unravel and the story soon becomes a duplicitous road trip that has the reader wondering who to believe.

I loved the sense of place in this book and the uncomfortable distrust that Frances created throughout, it was a pacy pageturner perfect for re
Charlotte
Dec 31, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I’ve just found myself stumbling upon another new favourite author. An addictive storyline which could go any which way. I didn’t expect the outcome which is always good when it leaves you shocked. One of the best reads in 2020 for me.
Katie
Jun 16, 2020 rated it liked it
This one was a 3.5 from me.

An enjoyable story with a unique plot, an undecidable villain and a fair few thrills and twists. I enjoyed this one and I liked the main characters and their back story. I also couldn’t make my mind up who was to blame.
Laura- Jayne  Breed
Jul 31, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I don’t think I’ve ever read a bad Michelle Frances book

I was instantly hooked as soon as I started reading this morning, don’t be deceived by the summery jaunty cover, covers a few deep issues. Overall I enjoyed it.
Shirley Dansoa B
Sep 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
Another twisty nail biter ....
Elite Group
Nov 16, 2020 rated it really liked it
A fun, drama-filled read about complicated family relationships

Sisters Abby and Ellie were never close as children and still don’t really get along as adults in their thirties. Successful but frugal businesswoman Abby has always been jealous of Ellie for her looks and for being their mother’s favourite, whilst penniless but attractive Ellie envies Abby for her money and a high-powered job. When Abby invites Ellie to visit her luxurious villa in Elba for a holiday, any chance of making amends is
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• The Guest
  • How to Disappear
  • To Dare
  • Keep Her Quiet
  • Dark Waters (Monica Kennedy #2)
  • The Sight of You (The Sight of You, #1)
Michelle Frances graduated from Bournemouth Film School and then from the Masters programme at the American Film Institute, Los Angeles. Returning to London, she has worked for several years in film and TV as a script editor and producer for both the independent sector and the BBC.

Her first novel, The Girlfriend, became an international best seller. She is also the author of The Temp, The Daughte