Start by marking “Portraits: 9/11/01: The Collected "Portraits of Grief" from The New York Times” as Want to Read:
Portraits: 9/11/01: The Collected "Portraits of Grief" from The New York Times

Portraits: 9/11/01: The Collected "Portraits of Grief" from The New York Times

4.49  ·  Rating details ·  67 Ratings  ·  6 Reviews
A new edition that now includes the complete New York Times profiles of those who died at the World Trade Center on September 11, 2001

Few aspects of The New York Times’s coverage of September 11 and of all that has followed have attracted as much comment as “Portraits of Grief.” The series profiled the lives lost in the attacks on the World Trade Center and was a story in
Published August 1st 2003 by Times Books (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Portraits, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Portraits

Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close by Jonathan Safran Foer102 Minutes by Jim DwyerJust a Drop of Water by Kerry O'Malley CerraFirehouse by David HalberstamThe Reluctant Fundamentalist by Mohsin Hamid
9/11 Related
127 books — 163 voters
Just a Drop of Water by Kerry O'Malley CerraExtremely Loud and Incredibly Close by Jonathan Safran FoerFalling Man by Don DeLillo102 Minutes by Jim DwyerReport from Ground Zero by Dennis  Smith
9/11 Books
54 books — 54 voters

More lists with this book...

Catherine
Feb 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
After over 12 years of the attack, reading these short version of life stories still touched me so deeply. The stories lets me realize that how lucky and at the same time how unfortunate these people were; inspires me to enjoy my life to its most, pursue my dream ASAP, be kind to people around you before you are not able to, and spend some money rather than save more for future (I has been a good money keeper).
Have more of "I can do it!" Attitude rather than "how about if I fail".
RIP TO ALL TH
Randie D. Camp, M.S.
An incredibly touching collection of portraits of those who were lost on September 11th, 2001. I have been reading a dozen or more a day since September 11th of this year (2011). I have read about 200 of the 1,910 portraits in this collection and nearly every one has brought me to tears. The portraits began as a section in the New York Times paper and then they pieced those together into this remarkable collection.
Brenna Darazs
Aug 26, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone
Shelves: 9-11, biography
This book is a beautiful compilation of the lives of the thousands of people murdered on September 11, 2001. These first appeared in the NYT, so some photos are newspaper-grade. The bios are short but strive to be as detailed as possible, snippets that put a face on the many victims of the horrific attacks.
Joan
Aug 22, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 9-11
So heart wrenching but also touching....when I first started reading this book I could only get about 2 pages done before I had to stop because I was crying so hard couldn't see the pages anymore.It is a must for anyone who is a history buff or interested in learning more about the innocents who were murdered on 9/11.
Adam
Mar 05, 2014
Nikki
Jan 08, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
The New York Times is a daily newspaper published in New York City and distributed internationally. Founded in 1851, the newspaper has won 112 Pulitzer Prizes, more than any other news organization. Its website receives 30 million unique visitors per month.
More about The New York Times...