Start by marking “Love Is for Losers” as Want to Read:
Love Is for Losers

Love Is for Losers

In this wry and hilarious queer romantic comedy, fifteen-year-old Phoebe realizes that falling in love is maybe not just for losers.

Did you know you can marry yourself? How strange / brilliant is that?

Fifteen-year-old Phoebe thinks falling in love is vile and degrading, and vows never to do it. Then, due to circumstances not entirely in her control, she finds herself
Expected publication: July 14th 2020 by Farrar, Straus and Giroux (BYR)

To ask other readers questions about Love Is for Losers, please sign up.
Sandy There is some pretty frank talk about sex, so that is something to consider - some 12 year olds (and their parents) are ready for that, and others…moreThere is some pretty frank talk about sex, so that is something to consider - some 12 year olds (and their parents) are ready for that, and others aren't.(less)

Start your review of Love Is for Losers
Cece (ProblemsOfaBookNerd)
Oct 28, 2019 marked it as tbr-unreleased
Things to love about this:
1. It's about a 15-year-old, an age group for queer teens that is not nearly as represented in YA
2. THIS. COVER.
3. Thrift shop love story
4. HAVE I MENTIONED THIS COVER???
Melanie
Jan 21, 2020 marked it as to-read
Macmillan really out here doing BIG things 🌈❤

Blog | Instagram | Twitter | Tumblr | Youtube | Twitch
Emer (A Little Haze)
This was such an engaging read. So honest and funny, and at times so heartbreaking.

A lot of the times in YA we complain that the characters dont act or sound like teenagers. Well in this book Phoebe the MC is 100% a teenager. Shes 15 years old and is the most glorious medley of personality traits that all blend together to make her feel entirely authentic.

Phoebe isnt always likeable.
She certainly has some dodgy opinions throughout the book... but thats what makes her human. She makes mistake
mahana
Oct 14, 2019 marked it as dnf
dnf @ 10%

sorry, i just cannot stand the main character or the writing style. we need more sapphic books for under 16 year olds but not edgy kids who make fun of humanitarians and people with disabilities
Umairah | Sereadipity
Mar 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
Oh I loved this. Phoebe's voice came through brilliantly and she was hilarious!
Izzie
Mar 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
*4.5 Stars*
(Thank you to my Mum for typing this for me).
Thank you to NetGalley for sending me this eARC in return for an honest review.
This book follows the main character Phoebe who thinks love is for losers and vows never to fall in love. Phoebe starts this book feeling rather abandoned due to the fact that her mother, a Dr, is going to Syria for 6 months to aid in the humanitarian crisis (something she does often) and her best friend Polly has ditched her for a boy. But through a series of
c, (½ of readsrainbow)
On my blog.

Actual rating 2.5

Rep: lesbian mc & li, side character with Downs syndrome, side character with anxiety

Galley provided by publisher

This book was somewhat of a mixed bag. There were things I liked about it, but there were also plenty of things I didnt like about it.

Love is for Losers is written as six months worth of diary entries from the main character as she lives with her godmother, gets through her GCSEs, and falls in love while her mother is away on a humanitarian mission.

I
E.
Review: Love is for Losers by Wibke Brueggemann // Or, A Grumpy Girl Catches Feelings

★★★,5☆ | *Heterosexual Love is for Losers

"I dont have time to have crushes on people, Im busy with exams. My brain is working on full capacity, I dont have room for fluffy shit like this."

🐈 written in the form of a diary
🐈 unlikeable protagonist
🐈 f/f rom-com
🐈 chosen family and kittens

Phoebe is not the most likeable protagonist. She is judgemental, bad with people, and messes up a lot.

She tries to be better and
Sara
Nov 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: queer, faves, young-adult, 2019
I told myself, "self, you're gonna need to read some middle-grade books before the holiday season starts because you're woefully behind and will have to suggest random books and coworker suggestions if you don't!!....at least read a YA that's not queer!" Of course I ignored such sage advice and read this WONDERFUL & BRILLIANT queer YA that's not even out until next summer!!!!

Love Is For Losers is soo funny and strange and clever! Phoebe's brain is a place you'll want to stay, but also it'll
Nikki Gomez
Feb 12, 2020 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book about Phoebe, a young high school student who is watching her friend fall in love and is not really keen on the whole thing. She is determined to not be that girl when she turns 16. That is her plan, at least. The story was filled with humor as well as a fair amount of teenage angst. Highly recommended for those who like YA novels written in journal form. Book generously provided by Edelweiss.
Siobhan
Jan 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
Love is for Losers is a young adult novel about a girl who thinks love turns people into idiots, until she finds herself entranced by the girl at her godmother's charity shop. Phoebe is fifteen, about to do her GCSEs, and dealing with the fact her best friend has a new boyfriend and her mum is abroad working as a doctor. She lives with her godmother and her godmother's designer cats, but an accident means she agrees to volunteer at her godmother's charity shop, where she meets Emma. Phoebe hates ...more
Christina (A Reader of Fictions)
Stylistically not for me but would absolutely recommend to fans of the Georgia Nicolson series, as the diary style and narrative voice are deeply reminiscent (for reference, that wasn't for me either).
Amber
Feb 15, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: lgbtq
Wibke Brueggemanns Love is for Losers follows 15 year old Phoebe as she navigates through her difficult like and some major changes to her home life.
Phoebe is set on the idea that love is stupid. She hates couples who are constantly wrapped up within themselves; shes grossed out at the thought of kissing and has decided that love is not for her. But she meets Emma, who challenges everything she believed in when it came to love, maybe she can have her happy ending after all
This book, for the most
Cassie
Mar 18, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle, arc, read-in-2020
Don't judge a book by it's cover - BUT LOOK AT THIS COVER.  IT'S GORGEOUS and I have to admit, it certainly caught my eye and for that I can only be grateful.  I've actually found 3 different covers for the book but am only using 2 for my bookstagram picture because . . .well, I'm lazy.

Written as a diary, we meet Phoebe, a 15 year old girl who has decided that love turns people into idiots.  Take Polly, for example.  Until very recently, she has been Phoebe's best friend, but now she has a
BooksAndRae
'Love is For Losers' follows fifteen year old Phoebe, as her life is changed when her best friend gets a boyfriend.

With the GCSE's looming closer every day, and a mother that is constantly away, Phoebe finds herself working in a charity shop where she befriends Emma and Alex. From there, her life shifts to a series of questions and thoughts on the future.

I thought that the book was hard to get into at first. I felt that Phoebe's growth throughout the book was well done but I'm upset it ended
Nikki
The diary style format of this book, combined with Phoebes sarcastic humour, worked well for me, and I found myself enjoying it more than I thought I would.

I really liked Kate (and the cats!) and her presence in Phoebes life, that was lovely. Much like Phoebe though, I did sort of want to yell at her mum.

Phoebe isnt always a likeable main character - the way she keeps people at a distance translated through the pages for me. But that said, I loved her friendship with Alex (from sort of
Jenn
Mar 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own, arc
Phoebe is 15 years old and when her best friend Polly falls in love, Phoebe decides that being in love is the worst thing someone can do and decides she just won't do it. However, when she ends up volunteering at her godmother's charity shop, she meets Emma and that decision to not fall in love might just be out of her hands.

Phoebe is so incredibly awkward. And that makes her extremely relatable. This book was filled with laugh out loud moments, cringey moments, a few sweet moments, and even
Steph
Feb 15, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great book! I loved the diary entry format and the sarcastic, cynical voice of the MC. She goes through a lot in this book, but she comes out on top. Shout out to the kittens, the representations of love in all its forms and grief in this book. This is a great story told in a brilliant way.
Lucy
Mar 09, 2020 added it
Hilarious. Phoebe's voice is unique and very funny. I really enjoyed this.
Poppy Flaxman
Mar 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
This is exactly the kind of book I was desperate for as a teenager. Brueggeman gets the teenage voice pretty much spot on and it's a funny, uplifting read.
Michele Brooker
Mar 23, 2020 rated it really liked it
Geeky, Sassy, Phoebe- you made me laugh. I loved you so much and my sixteen year old self would certainly have identified with you.

Well done debut author Wibke Brueggemann.
Asha - A Cat, A Book, And A Cup Of Tea
I wasn't expecting to like this at all but it was actually very enjoyable! Heartfelt, diary-style YA about all the general weirdness of being 15, plus the extra weirdness of Phoebes first real crush when she hadnt even considered she might like girls. Its like a more serious Georgia Nicolson book - the teen voice is spot on and it made me very nostalgic. Phoebe can be horrible and immature and selfish and rude, but she felt like a real teen, and she grows massively over the course of the book as ...more
Mushroom
Feb 16, 2020 rated it really liked it
Love Is for Losers is not quite what expected this book to be.

Phoebe is a fifteen-years-old about to take her GCSE, with a mother always traveling in war zones to give medical support; a dead father of whom she has no knowledge or interest about; and a best friend who, in her opinion, replaced her for a boyfriend.

My main concern with this story was to find another self-absorbed teenager, of whom tantrums were validated through the plot because she was "different and special". Phoebe believes
Marlis Warner
Feb 20, 2020 rated it did not like it
Sorry, didnt like the main character and the constant use of like. Also annoyed buy product placements. Was the book sponsored byStarbucks by any chance?
Sandy
Feb 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
Like Georgia Nicolson for a new generation. I absolutely loved Phoebe's blend of snarkiness and naivete, as expressed through her journal entries. This book made me laugh, and I do love a book that makes me laugh.
BooksAndRae
Feb 15, 2020 rated it liked it

SARAH
Feb 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
Never has a character sounded more like me!!! 😂😂
Margaret McCulloch-Keeble
Feb 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2020
A smashing wee story. Phoebe tells us her thoughts in this diary style in the 6 months leading to her 16th birthday with great humour and insight. Because of the somewhat sparse writing, it's an easy read that has some really heavy patches to negotiate. Very enjoyable.
Yasmin
Jan 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Quite honestly one of the funniest books I've read. It gave me major Georgia Nicholson vibes from the get go, but ended up being so much more than that.

Wibke has created the most amazing group of characters, and I love how they each have their own personalities and are important to Phoebe's overall plot. Phoebe herself is just so effortlessly funny - a true testament to Wibke's amazing writing. I found myself cackling so many times.

I love love loved the format of diary entries - so readable and
Courtney
Feb 01, 2020 rated it it was ok
Tbh the only good thing about this book is the diary-type writing style. I DNF this as it cringed so hard I couldn't carry on

• Rules for Being a Girl
  • The Good Hawk
  • Foul Is Fair (Foul Is Fair #1)
  • Dangerous Alliance: An Austentacious Romance
  • Run, Rebel
  • The Boy, the Mole, the Fox and the Horse
  • We Have Always Lived in the Castle
  • The Hunting Party
  • Get a Life, Chloe Brown (The Brown Sisters, #1)
  • Howl's Moving Castle (Howl's Moving Castle, #1)
  • The Good Luck Girls (The Good Luck Girls, #1)
  • The Shark Caller
  • Stamped: Racism, Antiracism, and You
  • Ayoade on Top
Wibke Brueggeman grew up in northern Germany and the southern United States, but calls London her home. She originally studied acting at the Academy of Live and Recorded Arts but ended up becoming a writer. She has a Master's in Writing for Young People from Bath Spa University, where she was the recipient of the Bath Spa University Writing Award. Wibke enjoys traveling, and is a clandestine lover ...more