Start by marking “Hygge: Unlock the Danish Art of Coziness and Happiness” as Want to Read:
Hygge: Unlock the Danish Art of Coziness and Happiness

Hygge: Unlock the Danish Art of Coziness and Happiness

If you wish to discover a stunning sense of happiness and well-being, then hygge is just the philosophy for you...
Cravings for comfort, for coziness, for contentment: everyone experiences the desire for a happier, less stressful, and more serene life.

Hygge, the Danish-born philosophy, is one proven way to achieve such a life. From the Old Norse for “well-being,” hygge
Published September 28th 2019

To ask other readers questions about Hygge, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hygge

Start your review of Hygge: Unlock the Danish Art of Coziness and Happiness
Klinta
Dec 09, 2019 rated it liked it
So this was my first introduction into Hygge! So many people have been talking about it and I never knew what it is and I can say that after reading this little book, I know. It explains what is Hygge and also sort of where it comes from and gives some basic pointers about how to live by it.

Most of the book was fine and it gave a semi-cosy feeling, but I found the recipe part to be useless and boring. I mean if you got that far, you should understand already which of your foods are Hygge and wh
Julian
Apr 03, 2020 rated it did not like it
This book is so white Inuits have 50 names for it.

I wanted to write an hyperbolic satire of the author’s complete disconnection from reality, but I think her own words are funnier:
“The art of hygge is a simple one: immerse yourself in the warmth and comfort of your beautifully lit and naturally decorated house with good friends, hearty food, and some happy conversation.  Ride your bike to the local café for some coffee and fika.  Indulge in some serene self-care, curled up in your cozy nook wi
Emily Mozzone
May 13, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: non-fiction
So this book is really, really pretentious. Maybe that's unsurprising for a book about Danish coziness, but I think this book was super tone-deaf to the realities of many Americans. Hayden's method of achieving a cozy, happy existence requires an abundance of time. Ride your bike. Work less hours. Spend lots of time with your friends and family (who also have loads of free time). Also, here's 10+ pages just about how the Danes are 10x better than us American capitalist cogs in the machine. If yo ...more
Apurva
Jan 05, 2021 rated it liked it
I wanted to start this year on a warm happy note so I picked this book. Denmark/ Finland/ Netherlands have been voted as the happiest countries to live many times and the art of Hygge is widely practiced in most Scandinavian countries.
The book is an introduction to the world of Hygge (pronounced as Hoo- gah) - the danish art of warmth, coziness and simple pleasures.
According to the author Hygge encompasses wearing warm cozy socks, lighting candles, sitting ideally in front of a warm roaring fi
Emily Mickelson
Dec 22, 2019 rated it liked it
While this was repetitive, I also found it informative. I have heard of hygge, but never fully researched it myself. The idea of enjoying life in a calm simplistic way is intriguing to say the least. The Scandinavian way of life, being less materialistic, and to truly enjoy life's simple pleasures is aspirational.

There were some grammatical errors, but it was free on kindle unlimited, so that was to be expected.

Overall this was an easy, light read.
Becky
Jan 22, 2021 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've read The Little Book of Hygge: The Danish Way to Live Well, and was hoping this would give me a deeper look into how to implement the concept in all aspects of my life. That's exactly what it did.

While I enjoyed learning more about how Danes incorporate hygge into their everyday lives year-round, this book also makes it extremely clear that the idea of "hygge" is, in America, only something middle-class and above (and then, only those living outside of cities) can achieve. It requires cont
Julie Barrett
Dec 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
Hygge: Unlock the Danish Art of Coziness and Happiness by Barbara Hayden
Hygge book talks about what Hygge is.
Danish art of coziness and happiness and how you can adapt it in your lifestyle. There are so many practical chapters about foods, clothing, customs, tradition, even crafts.
Found the book interesting as I have heard about these before and have seen how Danish life, even in Vikings days of having a big great room for all to congregate.
Laurel Harnisch
Jan 02, 2021 rated it liked it
I mean.. If you’ve done any research on hygge, you probably don’t need this book. I didn’t realize it was so short, but once I got about half way through, I was grateful it was going to be done soon.

Super basic (borderline superficial) suggestions on how to live hygge.. which includes a lot of hot cocoa, candles, crocheting literally every item of clothing you own, and spending a lot of time having pleasant conversations.
Sasha
Apr 03, 2020 rated it liked it
Cute

I think that there is a lot to take out of this for people whom need to slow down and witness life. Many of the things in this book are great ideas and I by no means can dismiss this lifestyle. Much of it is appealing and good practice for mental health. That being said, there are somethings that I won’t give up. These things make me happy and thus would be counterproductive. Overall the book is cute and well read.
Lene Marie
Dec 11, 2020 rated it did not like it
I am Danish, and though I do recognise some traits and habits of “hygge” and Danish lifestyle described in the book, this is the most ridiculous thing I have ever read. This is Danish culture described by a rich woman with a big house and an Instagram account to an American, who apparently lived in one of her tasteful guest rooms for a week, before he decided to write a book about her piles of blankets and closets full of socks.

Honestly, if we drank as much cocoa by candle lights as the book cl
Evelyn
Mar 04, 2021 rated it really liked it
Enjoyable read

I enjoyed this simple read, reminding you to enjoy the simple things in life and create a warm comfy lifestyle for yourself and loved one. Enjoyable read. I would recommend this to anyone who wants a comfort book to remind them to simplify their life and enjoy small moments as well as any moment we are given. Peaceful
Shasidharan Prapakaran
A tad bit irrelevant when you’re living in Asia

Concepts of being present, minimalism and connecting with people are not new. By and large though, it is neither practical nor relevant when you’re living by the equator.
Lindsey V
Feb 16, 2021 rated it liked it
Shelves: personal-growth
Reads like an American version of Meik Wiking’s The Little Book of Hygge. It expanded a bit and gave me more ideas for how to implement hygge in my everyday life. For that reason, I would recommend this as a second read or third read on the topic of hygge.
Michelle Brown
Apr 02, 2021 rated it really liked it
The art of cosy

Lovely book to read; simple inspiration that yields pleasure rather than abundance and moves us from electronics to family times and activities. A focus on the creatively making a simple lifestyle. I am half way there.
Darlene Zimmerman
Mar 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Love this book so much.

A great book to read to put or keep what is important into perspective. Awesome insights and tidbits of information that can improve anyways sense of well-being.
Carlee Beth
Jan 27, 2021 rated it it was ok
It reads like it was written in a hurry and published without a once over by an editor. There were more typos than I could count.
goordyalpgmail.com
Aug 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Good book

Great book to understand the Scandinavian culture. It is descriptive and give you some insights on what you can do to start the hygge life towards the end of the book
Katherine
Jul 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Very informative and gives different ideas and recipes that implicitly describe what Hygge is and how to obtain and practice your own form.
Ashley Reed
Jan 29, 2021 rated it it was ok
Colleen
Dec 29, 2020 rated it liked it
First hygge book I've read that acknowledges how the structure of the Danish society is built to facilitate hyggelige. Good overview. ...more
Peter
Jan 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful insight into hygge

I had never heard of hygge before this book. Now I'm hooked! I'm about to start a new chapter in my life and really would like to incorporate these hygge values
Lovelylady1994
Nov 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Lovely Little Introduction

A great start for anyone interested in Hygge. Doesn’t ever go into incredible amounts of detail, which I suppose would be counterintuitive. I definitely recommend it for anyone looking to slow down and simplify their life.
ROSEMARY MCKENZIE
Nov 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Light reading

Easy read puts it quite clearly the Hygge concept.
If you are looking for a quick over view of Hygge this book covers that nicely.
Ann
Lara
Jan 30, 2021
Melinda
Dec 28, 2020

• American Hygge: How You Can Incorporate Coziness Into Your Living Space and Bring Warmth to Your Relationships Without Moving to Denmark
  • American Predator: The Hunt for the Most Meticulous Serial Killer of the 21st Century
  • The Nanny
  • Wild Game: My Mother, Her Lover, and Me
  • The Vine Witch (Vine Witch, #1)
  • The Feathered Bone
  • Fairycraft: Following the Path of Fairy Witchcraft
  • The Innocent's Emergency Wedding
  • You Can Do All Things: Drawings, Affirmations and Mindfulness to Help With Anxiety and Depression
  • Eat the Elephant: How to Write (and Finish!) Your Book One Bite at a Time
  • Barking to the Choir: The Power of Radical Kinship
  • Aging Joyfully
  • Pledged: The Secret Life of Sororities
  • Consequences of a Hot Havana Night (Passion in Paradise #6)
  • You Are a Goddess: Working with the Sacred Feminine to Awaken, Heal and Transform
  • One Tuesday Morning (9/11, #1)
  • Seduce Me at Sunrise (The Hathaways, #2)