Start by marking “Dithered Hearts” as Want to Read:
Dithered Hearts

Dithered Hearts

A gender-confused farmer desperate to reclaim her farm and escape her stepparents' abuse. A closeted prince more interested in helping his people than finding a bride. A fairy godfather with a ton of secrets and no powers. In this diverse fairy tale, everyone is searching for a happy ending.The masquerade ball to find Prince Longhollow's future bride might be Cynthia Lynah ...more
Published July 8th 2019 by Independently Published

To ask other readers questions about Dithered Hearts, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dithered Hearts

Start your review of Dithered Hearts
Chasia Lloyd
A running gag in this book is that the protagonist never reads the fine print. It certainly gets her into trouble. That kind of trouble is fun to read.

However, it's not fun to accidentally get yourself into trouble if you don't read all of the content warnings! This book is darker than my other fantasy works, and your safety is my number one priority.

Content warnings:

- Abuse toward queer characters, including mental, emotional, and on-the-page physical abuse
- Abuse toward a disabled character
- A
Solly
I loved this a lot <3

I generally love Chace Verity’s work because it’s unapologetically queer and otherwise diverse and this was no exception. It filled my little queer heart with happiness to see so many queer IDs represented, without it being a big deal. An aromantic pansexual trans guy fairy, a nonbinary sapphic MC, a black gay prince (and a side m/m romance with his knight), a fat lesbian and a disabled lesbian. It was super heartwarming and I loved it.

Now to get into the story a little m
Nicole Field
Aug 18, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: f-f, enby-characters
Oh goodness another book I did not expect to love as much as I did. Although I've sometimes had difficulties in enjoying some of Chace's fantasy novels, this one just had everything I wanted to make it a top read!

It's a queer Cinderella retelling, but even though it's one of the more commonly retold fairytales, I can't believe just how much fresh and new content was brought into this story!

The story didn't focus on a lot of the set up of the story, assuming knowledge of the Cinderella tale up
Ceillie Simkiss
Dithered Hearts is a polyamorous historical fantasy romance between adult step-siblings who are nonbinary, female and female. It also features a side m/m romance. The main character is questioning their gender and uses multiple pronouns throughout the story, but for clarity’s sake, I’m going to use they/them pronouns.

It also deals with a lot of topics that are potentially triggering including abuse toward queer characters, including mental, emotional, and on-the-page physical abuse; abuse toward
Carmen Marin
I was lucky enough to find out about this book through Twitter with @LGBTReads promoting that there was still time to get an ARC via BookSprout for this story.

Queer, fairy tale retelling with some intrigue and possibly polyamory? That instantly grabbed me and I had to check this book out! I was so eager to check this story out I kind of glossed over some of the words listed in the cover. "Taboo Fantasy". But I'll get to that in a moment. I want to say that I commend the author for adding a conte
K.B. Rainwater
Aug 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Utterly delightful

This fairy tale retelling might not follow the original script, but everyone involved gets a Happily Ever After far more believable than the original. From Myricks's creative vocabulary to Cyn's confusing gender, everything about this book made my heart sing. It kept me up well past my bedtime, and I can't wait to read more of the author's books.
Ruth Fasham
Dec 10, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this, it was mostly pretty charming, with characters who mostly meant well (except the villains!), and who cared for each other, even when they didn't know how or if they should show it. I really liked the variety of characters and relationships. It generally just made me feel very happy, which made it a lovely read! ...more
Littlebookterror
This was a wild romp through one of the queerest Cinderella retellings I have ever read.

Cyn was a lovely protagonist with a strong voice and convictions. None of the other characters could quite hold up to her but they were still entertaining. Myrick as our resident fairy certainly lived up to their mischievous ways.
We have several point of views which meant a few times things were overly explained or clarified to get the story across.
Jessica
I liked all the queer rep and the disability rep. Unfortunately, I had a hard time engaging in the actual story much beyond appreciating the representation.

CW: child abuse, incest (consensual, between step-siblings)
Tainara Diule
Oct 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
SERVIU TUDO E MAIS UM POUCO
Kayla Bashe
Nov 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I thought this was a cute retelling, and a very original concept.
Roger Weetch
Dec 19, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fun rewrite of Cinderella. What happens if the handsome prince is gay? And Cinderella binary? And the ugly sisters beautiful? O, and the fairy godmother is male? Find out in this enjoyable read.
Kristīne Vītola
Aromantic pansexual character (the godfather)
Jackie
Found this confusing and hard to follow; dnf
Eli
Content Warnings: Abuse towards queer characters, including mental, emotional, and on-the—page physical abuse; abuse towards a disabled character; anti-queer rhetoric and microaggressions; excessive swearing, included gendered insults; mentions of deceased parents; mentions of substance abuse and addiction; and misgendering, including accidental and willful instances.

A wonderful polyamorous, diverse and queer Cinderella retelling featuring a nonbinary/f/f pairing with gay side characters and a t
Kaycie

The Queer Fantasy Retelling I Never Knew I Needed

I'm not sure what I was expecting with this book, but it exceeded my expectations. I'll be on the lookout for more books by this author.

I also want to mention the content warnings - I loved that they included them. It helps you to know when you can and can't handle reading something. If I hadn't had the content warnings and tried to read this at the wrong time,
Fiona West
Aug 12, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: diverse, romance, royalty
This book is trying to do a lot--A LOT--but despite that, it works very well as a modern fairy tale reimagined. I was pleased to see that it was well-edited and the plot built well, even if the tension ebbed and flowed a little at times. Honestly, it's not the kind of romance I usually read, but I enjoyed the respective journeys that the three main characters took, and it was interesting to read a multi-POV book that wasn't just "the couple." The only thing that freaked me out a little was the t ...more
T.
This was a quick read; I just wanted to keep going at the end of each chapter! The story was a good mix of fun and serious, pulling no punches with the abuse narrative but also having lots of moments of humor. I loved the casual inclusion of queerness in a fantasy setting--labels like trans, nonbinary, and aromantic are all used, and I appreciated that because it left no ambiguity about the characters' identities. I also liked that Cyn was still figuring out her gender; it was nice to see that e ...more
Arlene
Jul 18, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5*

I was so, so happy to be able to read this early! Every Chace Verity book I've read has been a sweet, easy, feel-good read and this book definitely delivers the same experience. There are some content warnings that you can check out as there is a reason why this is labeled a 'Taboo Fantasy Romance'.

I loved that this book was SUPER queer -- it's everyone. Everyone is gay. The MC is Enby, charming and relatable and the prose is approachable and light-hearted. The character interactions felt ve
There is a LOT going on here -- too many storylines, when the focus really could have stayed just on Cyn/Elodie/Harlow and developed that relationship more -- but this is a really interesting nb/f/f spin on the Cinderella story.
gimmethosebooks
Jul 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Stellar. Full of love and magic and figuring out where you belong and who you are and what makes a family. There’s not much f/f/nb (f/nb/f? nb/f/f?) romance in the world, and this is that and more. Lots of different characters represent many diverse humans. It’s full of humor and the world that’s been built ic clever. All of that and it’s happy-making tale too.

The book has a great author’s note in the beginning along with content/trigger warnings.

I can also see more in this world and hope that
Tina
Jul 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Dithered Hearts is a wonderful book to read. This is a keeper and a read again book. I loved this book, good job!!!

Angel Graham
This was an interesting read. Cinderella story with a few twists. The main character is non binary (she/they) Step sisters turn out to both be lesbians. Fairy God-father says he's trans. Prince and his personal body gaurd/knight are both gay, but must hide it.. including from each other.

We've got villains and heroes. Twists and turns.

I recieved an advanced readers copy in exchange for an honest review.
Suzanne Clay
Sep 20, 2020
Debbie
rated it it was ok
Aug 04, 2019

• Small Town Secrets (Welcome to Sea Port, #3)
  • Hearth and Home (Gold Sky #2)
  • Her Christmas Cookie (Welcome to Sea Port, #4)
  • Collie Jolly
  • Mrs. Martin’s Incomparable Adventure (The Worth Saga, #2.75)
  • The Ruthless Lady's Guide to Wizardry
  • Finding Finley
  • Finding Ian
  • The Space Between Worlds
  • Mrs. Mix Up
  • Love Language (Love Language, #1)
  • Heart and Hand (Gold Sky #1)
  • Evasive
  • Love Limits (Love Language #3)
  • Love Lessons (Love Language, #2)
  • Twisted Cravings (The Camorra Chronicles, #6)
  • Chastely Bitten (Blood Alliance #1)
  • Hummingbird and Kraken (Hummingbird Tales #1)
Chace Verity (she/they) is publishing queer as heck stories with a strong romantic focus, although queer friendships and found families are important too. Chace prefers to write fantasy but dabbles in contemporary and historical fiction as well. An American citizen & Canadian permanent resident, Chace will probably never be able to call a gallon of milk a "four-liter." ...more