Start by marking “Who Did You Tell?” as Want to Read:
Who Did You Tell?

Who Did You Tell?

A recovering alcoholic's dark secerts catch up with her in this gripping novel of psychological suspense from the internationally bestselling author of The Rumor.

"Instantly immersive, then intriguing, then insanely suspenseful, then . . . the truth. Believe me, Lesley Kara knows what she's doing."--Lee Child

We said to keep it a secret, that no one needed to know.

Astri
Published June 16th 2020 by Ballantine Books

To ask other readers questions about Who Did You Tell?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Who Did You Tell?

Start your review of Who Did You Tell?
Julie
Oct 08, 2020 rated it really liked it
Who Did you Tell? By Lesley Kara is a 2020 Ballantine publication.

Realistic, tense, disturbing!

Astrid is a recovering alcoholic, living with her mother, and struggling mightily to hold on to her new sobriety. She also has a heavy, dark secret hanging over her head, complicating her ability to face her demons head on.

As her memories resurface, Astrid’s past relationship with a guy named Simon begins to take shape- a relationship centered around the pain of addiction, but also one with intense
megs_bookrack
Apr 27, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arcs-read
Astrid is in the early days of her sobriety.

After hitting rock bottom, she is forced to move in with her mother in a quiet coastal town. There she spends each day just trying to make it through without a drink.

Astrid is continuously haunted by flashbacks of past behaviors whilst under the influence. Her memories are spotty, but what she does recall isn't good.

Through her musings, the Reader is made aware of some of these things, including a toxic, though arguably, loving relationship with a man
Mandy White
Nov 12, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Who Did You Tell by Lesley Kara was a book high on my radar after reading and loving The Rumour. This book is emotional and not always easy to read. The main character Astrid is not the easiest of people to like, but as the story goes along you feel for her more and more and want her to succeed. I read this book in a day, it was one that I just needed to keep reading to know how it was going to end. Highly recommend this book.

Astrid has had troubles with alcohol since she was a teenager. Now at
Sharon
3.5★

Astrid is a recovering alcoholic, she attends AA meetings and hasn’t had a drink for 192 days. She is desperate to get her life back on track and as a great deal as she doesn’t want to, she decides to move back in with her mother.

Wanting to forget her terrible past behind her and try and forget the person she use to be will not be as easy as she first thought. Your past always has a way of catching up with you no matter how well hidden you thought it was which Astrid will soon realise. Som
Liz
May 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
Leslie Kara has done a great job in capturing the mindset of a recovering alcoholic. Astrid has returned home to live with her mom after rehab. She’s going to AA, making amends, working on the 12 Steps. But she’s also hiding a secret. And someone appears to be stalking her.
Astrid felt so real to me. She hasn’t quite come to terms with her alcoholism. She’s afraid to tell her new beau and tells lie after lie to cover up her secret. Her constant battle with her addiction just felt spot on. The se
Ceecee
Aug 19, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This isn’t an easy read as the main character Astrid is an alcoholic and struggling after rehab to stay on the straight and narrow. She has so many demons many of which are the theme of this novel and some of those turn into genuine fears and there are a number of good suspense moments in the book. Astrid began to go off the rails at 15 when she changes her birth name from Hilary to Astrid as she believes that ‘made me visible’. Her struggle with drink is well described as are the AA meetings wh ...more
Ken
Aug 13, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recovering alcoholic Astrid has a dark secret, one that someone seems to know.
Having not touched a drop in 6 months as she is trying to turn her life around the damaging effects of her past could potentially see Astrid spiral back out of control.

I really liked Kara's debut The Rumour so was excited to get stuck into this one.
Astrid was such a brilliantly written character which meant that I enjoyed this one even more.

The book really focuses on the difficulty of moving on from addiction, Astrid
Tonya
Who Did You Tell is about young Astrid, her challenging recovery from alcoholism, and the mysterious stranger that is stalking her. Psychological suspense is definitely on the menu while reading Who Did You Tell and Lesley Kara builds the suspense gradually.

We get to know Astrid and see the life she is trying to create for herself with the support of her mom and the assistance of AA meetings. The relationship between Astrid and her mom is really realistic, it shows the sarcasm the layers of gui
Linda Strong
4.5 STARS

Astrid is a newly recovering alcoholic. She's staying with her mother and this is her last chance at making a life for herself.... she has nowhere else to go.

Astrid finds strength in routine ... she regularly attends AA meetings, she works, she's making friends.

She has another routine ... finding out who is following her. She thinks it might be an ex-boyfriend ... but he's dead. Her memory is a bit shot ... too many blackouts when she was drinking.

She finds that trying to outrun the gho
Louise Wilson
Astrid is a recovering alcoholic. She moves back into her mums house to try and get herself sorted out. She also attends daily AA meetings. She is also tormented by her past. She's just out of rehab and she doesn't trust people.

There is some really good twists to this story about an alcoholics road to recovery. But someone is out to get revenge. This story was full of potential. Although I felt sorry for Astrid and her daily struggles, I just didn't like her. She came across as a bit pathetic. T
Ash
Feb 03, 2020 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: fans of female protagonists with a troubled past
Thank you to NetGalley and Ballantine Books for providing me with an ARC in exchange for an honest review.

I’ve discovered that, while it’s easy to find a mystery or thriller that’s good enough to entertain me for a few days, it’s rare to find one that truly knocks my socks off. Who Did You Tell? falls into the first category, which doesn’t mean it’s a bad book. It just means that it isn’t making it onto my list of favorites.

Unlike some mystery and thriller readers, I’m not the least bit sick of
Sue
WHO DID YOU TELL, a suspense thriller/psychological drama is the second novel to be published in January 2020 by Lesley Kara the author of the Sunday Times Top Ten Bestseller, THE RUMOUR, a crime thriller debut published in December 2018.

Every town has its secrets. Lesley Kara knows them all . . .

Astrid, an alcoholic is trying to turn her life around, focusing on her recovery. She has grudgingly moved back in with her mother, in a quiet seaside town away from the temptations and painful memorie
Amanda
Sep 01, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Astrid a recovering alcoholic has moved in with her mother at Flinstead a small seaside town, where everybody knows each other’s business.

Astrid hasn’t had a drink for 190 days and attends AA meetings, where she meets Rosie and Helen. We know she has a secret and it is to do with her ex Simon. She becomes paranoid, she feels like she is being followed, then menacing notes appear.

The story is full of secrets and twists that keep you guessing until the surprising ending. I was so engrossed and su
Mark
Nov 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

After such a success with her debut novel ‘The Rumour’ last year a lot of readers were/are excited to read this follow up, I was one of them!
As an aside I loved that the rumour storyline is mentioned randomly in the book, this is because this new tale is set in the same sleepy seaside town as the rumour! ( Eastbourne without the excitement as its known! )
So......Astrid ( formerly known as Hillary! ) is a recovering alcoholic and is back living with her Quaker Mother, attending AA meetings and g
Helga
DNF

It was too slow with too many repetitive inner thoughts. Wouldn't rate as i read only half of the book.
Miriam Smith
Nov 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
After the success Lesley Kara had with ‘The Rumour’, her new suspense thriller ‘Who Did You Tell’, looks to be another bestseller. I love this author and I personally thought this new book to be even better than her previous one and had me engrossed from the very start.
“It’s been 192 days, seven hours and fifteen minutes since her last drink. Now Astrid is trying to turn her life around. Having reluctantly moved back in with her mother from the temptations and painful memories of her life befor
Amanda - Mrs B's Book Reviews
*https://mrsbbookreviews.wordpress.com
The bestselling author of The Rumour returns with her new addictive psychological thriller, Who Did You Tell? A story of secrets, lies, admissions, mistakes, blame, addiction, trust and guilt, author Lesley Kara keeps her cards close to her chest in this suspenseful mystery novel.

Astrid has a secret and it is one that she believes no one knows about. She has grappled with this secret for many days and months. It has consumed her, leading Astrid down a path o
Chloe
Apr 11, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: net-galley

Astrid is a 32-year old recovering alcoholic who has moved back into her mother’s house after the death of her ex-boyfriend Simon. After struggling with guilt and remorse about Simon’s death she’s finally trying to put her life back together but somebody in town is not happy with her progress and is intent on destroying everything she worked so hard to build

After enjoying The Rumor I was looking forward to reading Who did you tell by Lesley Kara and it did not disappoint. It takes you on an em
Bam cooks the books ;-)
"Three things cannot be hidden: the sun, the moon, and the truth."

Astrid Phelps is a recovering alcoholic, living with her mum in the English seaside town of Flinstead, and going to AA meetings. One day she meets a lovely man named Josh and soon thinks there might be hope for putting together a new life for herself and recovering some of her old passions. But first she has to tell Josh the truth about herself and what she's done...

I think Lesley Kara does an excellent job of writing from the add
Michael David
Feb 08, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
WHO DID YOU TELL? Is the follow up to author Lesley Kara’s first novel, The Rumor, which I thoroughly enjoyed.

In her second novel, we meet Astrid, a recovering alcoholic who is back to living with her mother and trying her best to get her life in order and succeed. She’s attending AA meetings, staying away from temptation, and even finds the possibility of a relationship and an art job, which was her passion. Then someone sends her something in the mail to remind her of the past, and that she h
Shalini
Nov 25, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An interesting story which had a recovering alcoholic trying to find her way back to life living with her mother, but things turned haywire when she felt someone watching her.

My second book by author Lesley Kara. I liked parts of the book, especially the trials of a recovering alcoholic and the AA meetings. I liked the author's honest portrayal of an addict and how every day was a struggle. The author showed great sensitivity in that.

The suspense was subtle in it and the ending was quite expec
Gemma
Nov 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
If like me, you loved and were completely gripped by Lesley Kara’s debut novel The Rumour, then boy are you going to love Who Did You Tell! It’s even more addictive, making it even harder to put down, and for me it has surpassed her debut.

32 year old Astrid is a recovering alcoholic. After an episode 5 months previously which left her hospitalised, she is now living back at home in the small, sleepy seaside town of Flinstead with her mother – since leaving rehab 2 weeks previously. She is attend
Karen R
Jun 10, 2020 rated it liked it
“What goes around comes around. It’s time to pay for what you’ve done.”

Astrid is a recovering alcoholic. With no job, now living with her mother, she is struggling to put her life back in order after a significant, life changing event. Astrid is a complex obsessive character displaying disturbing mental health problems, attending AA meetings trying to maintain sobriety and conquer her demons.

In an alternate voice, we learn that someone is stalking Astrid, appearing to know her dark secret and i
Dianne
May 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
She came home to heal. Destroyed, broken and now a recovering alcoholic, Astrid had no choice but to go back to her mother’s house. Now she is about to discover that the nightmare that sent her spiraling was about to get worse. Can she find redemption and self-forgiveness or will the demons from her past find her and destroy the delicate lifeline she is trying to create? Does she even deserve to find love, happiness and sobriety?

WHO DID YOU TELL? by Lesley Kara is a story of darkness, searching
Hanlie
Dec 29, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very gripping mystery thriller!

Astrid has moved back in with her mother......not that she had any place to go. She is trying to put her life together. She is attending AA and is trying to get to grips with losing the love of her life. She feels responsible for him committing suicide and every day is a struggle. Then she starts feeling like someone is watching her...she smells Simon's cologne and then she receives a photo. Someone knows about her past.

I really like the writing style and foun
Adele Shea
Feb 10, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book but I felt the outcome was predictable.
3.5 as it is an easy to read book and definitely worth giving it a go.
Rachel Hall
Underwhelming psycho thriller with an anticlimactic denouement that feels like a rerun of The Rumour.

Overall I felt Lesley Kara’s follow-up to her first novel, The Rumour, had rather a lot in common with her debut and in many ways felt like a rerun of the story, with a thirty something daughter returning to live with her mother in the sleepy seaside town of Flinstead and a small cast of characters, each of whom on occasions could be construed as suspicious.

Thirty-two-year-old recovering alcoholi
Elvina Zafril
Jan 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: times-reads
Who Did You Tell? by Lesley Kara is one of the psychological thriller that full of suspense and twists that you didn't expect from the beginning until the ending.

Astrid is an alcoholic. She is focusing on her recovery. She moved back to live with her mother in a quiet seaside town in hoping to live in peace and away from painful memories she had in the past. She attended AA meetings and trying to get back the life as normal people and far from alcohol. Everyone deserves a second chance.

Someone k
Rachel Gilbey
Dec 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
After seeing Lesley Kara at Capital Crime, taking part in the Who's Crime is it Anyway sessions, I couldn't help but be impressed by her, and thus couldn't resist the opportunity to read her new book when it appeared.

And I'm completely correct to be impressed... What a fabulous book.

From the first few pages I could feel a slightly sinister undertone, something was rather unsettling but at the same I needed to know exactly what was going on. I had a few thoughts but generally was very happy to
Joanne Robertson
OMG!! If you liked The Rumour then you are going to LOVE Who Did You Tell? Its twisty and shocking with a narrative that sucks you in from the very first page and keeps you there. It's as addictive as hell which is quite fitting when you realise that one of the main characters, Astrid, has an addiction problem. She is an alcoholic, coping with a secret from her past concerning her ex boyfriend Simon. Following a major relapse, she's now living back with her mother in Flinstead and attending loca ...more

• Criss Cross (Alex Cross Book, #27)
  • The Nursery (Alexis Tyler #2)
  • The Other Wife
  • Nine Elms (Kate Marshall, #1)
  • A Wedding in December
  • Cold Heart Creek (Detective Josie Quinn #7)
  • Long Bright River
  • A Million Dreams
  • Forget Me Not
  • Dear Edward
  • Degrees of Guilt
  • Elevator Pitch
  • The Art of Dying (Raven, Fisher, and Simpson, #2)
  • Mr. Nobody
  • Between the Stops: The View of My Life from the Top of the Number 12 Bus
  • The Flower Arranger
  • The Christmas Party
  • The Guilty Mother
Lesley Kara is the author of the Sunday Times Top Ten Bestseller, THE RUMOUR, published in December 2018. Her second novel, WHO DID YOU TELL, is out now.