Start by marking “Dawn: Lucifer's Halo (Dawn, #1)” as Want to Read:
Dawn: Lucifer's Halo (Dawn, #1)

Dawn: Lucifer's Halo (Dawn, #1)

4.08  ·  Rating details ·  277 Ratings  ·  19 Reviews
DAWN is the epic tale of good and evil, Heaven and Hell, death and rebirth played out on the nightmarish streets of Manhattan, set during an indeterminate future. Darrian Ashoka--slayer of demons and murderer of angels--stands at a crossroads in his life. He has met Dawn, a mysterious woman who may or may not be the Earth Goddess incarnate. In his search for his own identi ...more
Published November 1st 1997 by Sirius Entertainment

To ask other readers questions about Dawn, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dawn

Stephanie W
Aug 23, 2011 rated it really liked it
I remember first reading this book when I was 16, pulled from my father's bookshelf. My mother hated it for the art, my father loved it for the story (legitimately for the story, not just that reading playboy for the articles bullshit, though I'm sure that could be applicable to this book as well).

Though Linsner's art is gorgeous, it does fit into the "big tits, big pecs, big guns (er...swords)" genre of graphic novels. Full of women with giant breasts, pointing nipples, literally no waist at al
Vincenzo Bilof
Aug 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Just a wonderful piece of art. Almost a narrative poem with images. This is a very special graphic novel. It's like a neo-gothic piece with transcendentalist imagery. I don't even know what that means, but it's the most concise way for me to think of it. Totally hooked and looking forward to reading more Joseph Michael Linsner.
Petros
Aug 16, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Amazing art but plot and characters are all over the place. It reads like edgy fan fiction by a teenager who hates everything, yet wants to tell a message while also including sex. Religious folks will be offended with how god and the devil are turned into a gay couple having a quarrel over a simple halo. Anarchists might dig the way society has crumpled, but it's a plot point that is dropped midway for shallow philosophy and pretentious quoting of religious books. As a whole, you are better off ...more
Steve
Aug 23, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Steve by: found in used book shop
Shelves: graphic-novel, occult, own
I found this and its companion at in a used book shop in Raleigh, while applying for a job. It was in good condition, being a fourth printing I would hope so. No I didn't get the job. This is a little late in writing, sorry.
First off Mr. Linsner's art is Incredible . It is real, dark, and emotive. This would have been worth full price just to look at. I am not a critic, when it comes to art, but I know when I see a Good bit of it. This is not for children in my opinion. The authors website is h
Alannah
Jan 15, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: adolescent boys and fans of pin-up art
Shelves: graphicnovels
I am a sucker for Linsner's art, despite the fact that he draws all his women with pointy nipples and huge breasts that point in opposite directions. His storytelling reminds me a bit of something a goth kid would come up with in high school, but for some reason the art makes up for that. I had a lot more respect for Joe before he came to my comic store and made some derogatory comments. I really shouldn't give him any more of my money but his art gets me every time!
Courtney (pirogoeth)
Sep 27, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Courtney (pirogoeth) by: A friend and my husband
Shelves: own, 2010, graphic-novel
This book is amazing! I can't wait to read the rest. I love the story, how there are the different higher powers all present and how Dawn can go wherever. I have to admit I was also looking at what she was wearing to try to get an idea for a costume for the Dawn contest at Dragon*Con. I think I know what I'm going to try. :)
Keith Davis
Jan 17, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novels
Linsner was the best of the Nineties cheesecake comic artists. His pages are not just fantastic pinup style paintings, they are also anatomically realistic which is a quality rarely found in "good girl" art. The plot of Lucifer's halo is some sort of mash-up of Christian and Celtic mythology with some feminist elements, but the real point is just to enjoy the art.
Cesar Perez
Dec 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing
One of my favorite comics of all time!
The art is amazing, the character designs are incredible, looks like every page is a oil painting but in reality it's markers and coloring pencils on paper... Wow!
The story is also amazing! Really hit me hard when I read it in my late teens early 20's. Put certain issues of faith and life into a different perspective for me.
This book gets my top recommendation. Read it. Share it.
Beaky
Dec 04, 2010 rated it did not like it
Jason
Confusing autobiographical graphic novel about one young man's coming to terms with religion and sexuality, dressed up in post-apocalyptic sci-fi fantasy drag. Lush (often excessively so) self-taught art is filled with symbolism, too much of which is understandable only to the author. I had to read this book twice to make sense of it, and even then a lot was left un-understood. And the neopagan goddess worship stuff is spread on thickly, so much so that this book ended up reminding me a little t ...more
Ben Fairchild
Jul 11, 2009 rated it liked it
Saccharine American gothic fantasy. Sexy goddess of rebirth (who usually has three mascara tinted tears down her left cheek) encourages a lost souled hero in a post apocalyptic N.Y. to find himself as the horned god by running about with the halo which Satan neglected to give back to god when he went to hell. Satan and God are ex-lovers. Reminds me of when my queer friend Sean wouldn't give me back my Iron Maiden T-Shirt and Raw Power body building book after we fell out over my understanding th ...more
May
Well I certainly didn't hate this book since I did finish reading it but I honestly couldn't tell you what happened in it. The storyline was intriguing but was just messy in its overall execution. Hard to follow what exactly what was going on and why anyone would even care. None of the characters were well developed and you get the distinct impression that the illustrator was more concerned about how "sexy" Dawn should look. That might be great for some, but not for me.
Timo
May 25, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: comics
Linsner art is incredible. Sadly his writing never comes even close to that. It does not make the story deep if you wank around with religion (only Ennis has done that well) and throw in couple of Shakespeare quotes (maybe you get girls when you read Shakespeare).
But no one draws asses and tits like Linsner.
Matt Hoemke
Sep 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A fabulous read that portrays a man's struggle with his own atheism and the death of his father as he pursues a goddess who teaches him to walk his own path. Beautiful art lends well to this enthralling, yet simple plot.
Jen
May 27, 2013 rated it it was ok
The storyline, and some of the artwork, left me confused. I appreciate what the writer was trying to do, but the road to get there had some holes. I really liked the cover artwork for each issue within the volume, but frame-by-frame was a little too cartoon-y.
Kate
Dec 30, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: comics
Includes so much of what I dislike about mainstream comics and only a little bit of what I do like.
Summer
May 20, 2009 rated it liked it
I'm not entirely sure I can follow the story but Linsner is an amazing artist.
Kristin
May 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Stunning artwork and plot that keeps you intrigued.
Drew Van genderen
Nov 28, 2007
Katherine Keller
Feb 25, 2015
Nicola
rated it did not like it
Oct 27, 2014
Nov 24, 2010
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Kabuki, Vol. 1: Circle of Blood
  • Power Girl
  • Empowered, Volume 6 (Empowered, #6)
  • Green Wake Volume 1 TP
  • Power Girl, Volume 3: Bomb Squad
  • DV8: Gods and Monsters
  • North 40
  • The Chronicles of Conan, Volume 1: Tower of the Elephant and Other Stories
Joseph Michael Linsner is most well-known for DAWN, his personal Pin-Up Goddess. After her debut appearance on the cover of CRY FOR DAWN #1 in 1989, Dawn struck a chord with thousands of fans on an international level. She is currently published in six languages and has come to life in the form of statues, action figures, t-shirts, lithographs, lunch boxes and trading cards..An award winning Illus ...more
More about Joseph Michael Linsner
“I will love you like no other for I have died a thousand tiny deaths and everytime I died I thought of you.” 4 likes