Start by marking “Positive Energy: 10 Extraordinary Prescriptions for Transforming Fatigue, Stress, and Fear Into Vibrance, Strength, and Love” as Want to Read:

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  1,049 ratings  ·  73 reviews
The pioneer of Energy Psychiatry presents a complete program that will stop you from feeling constantly drained and enable you to live a more vibrant life.

Are you forever rushing through your day, fending off chronic exhaustion? Are you desperately overcommitted, afraid to say no? Do you want to feel well rested and ready to conquer each day with enthusiasm, but fall short
Published September 20th 2005 by Harmony (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Positive Energy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Positive Energy

really liked it Average rating 4.00  ·

Start your review of Positive Energy: 10 Extraordinary Prescriptions for Transforming Fatigue, Stress, and Fear Into Vibrance, Strength, and Love
Juliana Haught
Jul 27, 2011 rated it it was ok
I'm not sure I'm even going to finish this book all the way to the end. I really wanted to like it because Judith Orloff is such a well-known name in the world of energy healing, but this book is way more about Orloff than it is a presentation on energy and how to recognize it or work with it. I found myself annoyed with how much Orloff inserts her own gifts and life experiences as an intuitive as anecdotal reasons for and evidence of the effectiveness of her advice while relying on her ...more
Tami
Apr 15, 2008 rated it it was amazing
“Have you every came home from work feeling completely worn out? Have you ever felt suddenly depressed and overwhelmed after talking to that relative that is constantly complaining? Do you ever eat food that you know is unhealthy because you think it'll make you feel better?

Positive Energy examines the concept of energy. This book draws a direct connection between energy and the way we live. When we eat foods that give us energy, make use of our own daily energy patterns, and seek out positive
Kim
Apr 04, 2012 rated it it was ok
Two things that made me rate this book lower than I probably would normally have were:

1) I purchased this as a 'cheapy' audio book from B&N. While I usually LOVE audio books (they are perfect to work out to), this was not one of my best choices. The content was totally worthy of reading, it had GREAT advice, BUT...when you have sort of a 'reference' book with recipes for success, it's always great to go back and review. Difficult to do with an audio book.

2) Something about this woman
Brooke
Aug 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Absolutely life-changing.
Jaylin
Aug 10, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
It's funny to hate a book about positive energy. However I got the audio book and the sound of the authors voice was so whiney, it was literally draining the positive energy I had. Also this audio book has meditation which is not great for me since I listen to all my audio books in the car.

Also it was ridiculous how many types of energy vampires she listed. Based on her definition everyone is a energy vampire at some point.
Monica
Sep 13, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone whoever feel fatigue, stress, fear/anxiety
Shelves: must-read
An awakening force of our hidden inner intuition, this kind of book is needed in today's rush-through world. After reading it, I become more conscious of my own precious energy, how to conserve it and expend it, as well as how to avoid other people and situations that are energy draining.
This book will be an excellent investment for anyone's mental health!
Barbara
Mar 14, 2012 rated it really liked it
Some great advice for us energy empaths!
Diana Shaffner
Jul 03, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: psychology
Positive energy, the awareness of, and ability to manage it is enormously important for anyone who wants to become or stay healthy. However, this extremely lengthy book falls short. Some points that could be made in a couple of sentences to offer some value to the reader are drawn out seemingly without end. The content itself offers very little a person who is even slightly aware of energy doesn't already know and expects the reader to read/listen to how if you are angry and you are sitting next ...more
Amalie
This includes ten sections:

Awaken Intuition and Rejuvenate Yourself
Find a Nurturing Spiritual Path
Design an Energy-Aware Approach to Diet, Exercise, and Health
Generate Positive Emotional Energy to Counter Negativity
Develop a Heart-Centered Sexuality
Open Yourself to the Flow of Creativity and Inspiration
Celebrate the Sacredness of Laughter, Pampering, and The Replenishment of Retreat
Attract Positive People and Situations
Protect Yourself from Energy Vampires
Create Abundance.

Good book but not meant
Noura Algwaiz
Mar 07, 2012 rated it did not like it
I initially decided to read this book because the Author is a psychiatrist and all her books have very good ratings (almost 5 stars by hundreds of reviewers). However, I was pretty disappointed. There is nothing in this book that a normal well rounded person doesnt already know. AIso, I find that the author refers to her self and her opinions and experiences way too much...
Michael Graber
Jun 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
What a great program for owning your own energy. These simple methods and exercises act as a catalyst for positivity.
Silvia
I loved certain parts of this book, underlining and highlighting madly; however others seemed like a rehash of information I could get anywhere (eat organic whole food). On the whole, I did get a lot out of it. I generally don't like books that are too like a memoir (chock full of the author's anecdotes and personal experiences), but I had to give Orloff some leeway here since she is a physician and a practitioner. But the chatty, familiar style was a little much for me. That's a personal taste, ...more
Katie
May 20, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
This was interesting, but not something that I would recommend to everyone. The author spends a lot of time talking about what to do if you’re an intuitive empath, which makes the title and subject of this book seem deceiving. However, the sections on energy “vampires” were enlightening. I came away from listening to those sections reevaluating how the things I say can potentially suck energy from others, which is probably an exercise everyone should experience.
Anne Leazar
May 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: psychology
A highly informative book that helps to relieve fatigue and stress. I highlighted several tips and re-read this book twice before I bought it. Dr. Orloff offers practical advice to relieve the stress and to be the best of your true spirit. I would recommend to read this book by chapters to understand and process this information. An excellent read for those who love self improvement books!
Jackie Wilson
Sep 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book was uplifting. I have recommended to people on Facebook and at work. Is it worth it absolutely? This author gives many examples and has interviewed many celebrities. I even added using my stones and strengths of Charkra to help me with my positive energy.
Anita Smith
Dec 09, 2018 rated it it was ok
Meh. Nothing new here, and some of it was a little too "out there" for me. Skimmed about three-fourths of the book and didn't finish.
Melanie Lee
Jan 12, 2020 rated it really liked it
Resonating insights
G. Lawrence
Feb 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
Good read, lots of good ideas
Stacey Slager
Jan 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is exactly what I needed. I listened to the audio book and now I think I need to read it in hard copy.
Jules cressall
Jan 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I read this book years ago and recently reread it. It's great insight into handling our energy and handling those lesser energies, like fear and stress.
Chris
Jan 29, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recognize and tame your energy vampires.
Worked on my co-workers!
Lisa Smith
Feb 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Her descriptions of energy vampires as well as techniques for dealing with energy vampires equaled a solid couple of hours with a great counselor.
Jessica
Aug 26, 2018 rated it liked it
I don't remember how this book ended up in my "to-read" section, but I thought I'd give it a try. I did find it interesting, but it was quite long as well!

I do agree that your energy can change the way you think and act and how others' energy can play a role in your life. I'm always looking for techniques to bring myself back to center and to re-focus on what is important!

-Audiobook= 12 hours and 31 minutes-
Jun 04, 2007 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone interested in a new take on self-help
This was a recommendation from Erin - Orloff's claim is that we all have our own energy and intuition, and the key to a vibrant, strong, loving life is to tap into those things, and protect them so that they can serve as a resource for us to draw on. It got REALLY New-Age-y for me at times, to the point that I rolled my eyes and snorted in derision, but I read the whole thing, with as open a mind that I could muster, and I can't deny that there are some useful parts to it. And I would like to ...more
Betsy
Apr 15, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Love,love,love this book on tape. I highly recommend listening to this book on your drives throughout the week to uplift you, to change the way you approach your work day, to consider how you will guard your time and energy for those things you truly value. At the same time you will learn how to avoid energy vampires who suck you dry! For the first time in my life I am hearing someone name the importance of INTUITION and truly tuning in to it, honoring it and following it.
Robert
Feb 26, 2009 rated it liked it

Despite the "new age" feel to the book, I did find a few useful pieces of information with respect to meditation and overall emotional health. The author is a PhD and a clincal psychologist. I would not recommend this for the devout athiest, but I would recommend it to anyone who is experiencing emotional or spiritual drain due to a serious personal crisis or who is greiving. If you can get past the lack of scientific or emperical substance to the book, it just might help you.
Anna Maria
Jan 03, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I'm a big fan of Dr. Judith Orloff. She is an amazing teacher and author.
I'm about energy, intuition, healing, vibrational harmony and getting to the core. She offers 10 extraordinary prescriptions for transforming your life whether it's stress, love or fear. She encourages us to overcome fears with strength and positivity. I have studied her programs and been to her seminars. She a gentle and creative conduit to the cures for today's emotional barriers. She will awaken your intuition.
Carmen Tafolla
Aug 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Amazing and brilliant, the only reason I havent finished reading this book yet, is because it is so deep and helpful I only make it through a page and a half at best and then stop to poner and apply to my own situation... And even better, the copy I inherited from my "Baby" Brother after his unexpected heart attack has all his notes and marks in the margin! A treasure I will probably re-read -- slowly, again.
Chris
Mar 21, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
The study of positive energy is a fascinating one, and Dr. Orloff presents many thought-provoking ways to "transform fatigue, stress and fear into vibrance, strength and love." Although I don't agree with everything she writes, I believe her research, for the most part, is helpful and well worth reading.
Christina
Mar 12, 2010 rated it really liked it
I am eager to work on some of these prescriptions. Dr. Orloff's experiences and discoveries are digestible and fascinating. It would have been neat to see some crossover with Energy Medicine applications, such as using the "Temporal Tap" to counteract negative thinking. The diet advice and recognition of the intuitive empath personality make this book super and recommendable.
« previous 1 3 next »

• The Joy Diet: 10 Daily Practices for a Happier Life
  • The Secret Art Of Tom Poulton
  • Past Life Regression: A Manual for Hypnotherapists to Conduct Effective Past Life Regression Sessions
  • Project Based Learning (PBL) Starter Kit: To-the-Point Advice, Tools and Tips for Your First Project in Middle or High School
  • Does Jesus Really Love Me?: A Gay Christian's Pilgrimage in Search of God in America
  • How the Bible Actually Works: In Which I Explain How An Ancient, Ambiguous, and Diverse Book Leads Us to Wisdom Rather Than Answers—and Why That's Great News
  • The Prince of Broadway (Uptown Girls, #2)
  • Am I Overthinking This?: Over-answering life's questions in 101 charts (Humor Books, Self Help Books, Books About Adulthood)
  • Grand Canyon
  • Nonbinary Gender Identities: History, Culture, Resources
  • Beautiful on the Outside
  • Our Dogs, Ourselves: How We Live with Dogs Now
  • Healing PCOS
  • The Shadow Effect: Illuminating the Hidden Power of Your True Self
  • Why Won’t You Apologize?: Healing Big Betrayals and Everyday Hurts
  • Consolations: The Solace, Nourishment and Underlying Meaning of Everyday Words
  • Fearless Change: Patterns for Introducing New Ideas
  • Brave New Medicine: A Doctor's Unconventional Path to Healing Her Autoimmune Illness
Judith Orloff is an American board-certified psychiatrist and is the author of the New York Times bestseller Emotional Freedom: Liberate Yourself From Negative Emotions and Transform Your Life and SECOND SIGHT: An Intuitive Psychiatrist Tells Her Extraordinary Story and Shows You How To Tap Your Own Inner Wisdom.

Dr. Orloff synthesizes the pearls of traditional medicine with intuition and energy
“The First Prescription’s formula for success: Do whatever makes your inner light brighter. In other words, try to treat yourself and everyone else with love. ” 6 likes