Start by marking “Once Bitten (Javier Coven, #1)” as Want to Read:
Once Bitten (Javier Coven, #1)

Once Bitten

(Javier Coven #1)

Dante

For over three hundred years, Ive waited for Fate to deliver my soulmate; the person Id love for the rest of my life; the one I was destined to protect, to treasure and to cherish. The one to complete me.

I never expected to find him dancing like an angel in my nightclub. The moment my eyes gazed upon his beauty, my heart was gone. The most mesmerizing thing about him
Published August 17th 2019

To ask other readers questions about Once Bitten, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Once Bitten

Start your review of Once Bitten (Javier Coven, #1)
Barbara➰
Here we have sweet Ben who's more comfortable in a baggy sweater roaming a bookstore than he is in the club his friend, Sam, drags him to. Who knew he'd meet the love of his life who also happens to be the head of the local vampire coven.

I have been enjoying Jayda Marx's books. They're sweet and low-angst. There's a lot of loving and gushy cheesiness with a tad bit of drama but it's just what I need at the moment. I do think they're a little too long. This one could have been cut down 30-40
SMJC
Sep 18, 2019 rated it liked it
A hard book to review/rate

The thing is - I kinda thought the two main characters were utterly ridiculous. Between Ben who was not a true idiot, but was incredibly childish, and Dante whose every other sentence was some corny babble, I just couldn't really feel for them. The worst part for me ? The amount of incredibly unnecessary pet names. OMFG, could you not next time ? Mi Amado - fyi - in Spanish, amado is no different than calling someone "honey", so it doesn't need to be capitalized, it's
Mimi
Sep 02, 2019 rated it really liked it

First and foremost, I would like to Thank Theresa for this book recommendation.

I enjoyed the world that Ms. Marx's has created. Dante and Ben are a great couple. I especially enjoyed when Dante and Ben bonded and the three golden strands extended, one for the mind, one from the heart and then one from the soul. That wasn't something that I have read before in a "fated mates" novel.

I'm also looking forward to the next book in this series. If I can guess we will have three more to round
Nic
Oct 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Interesting

Stumbled on this book making it my first one by the author. It was an Insta-love story. It had a combination of several factors. It had suspense, mystery, assassination attempts, it was funny and mushy. The characters were okay. Ben appeared a bit immature At times but he was also young. It was easy enough to read.
llv
Sep 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Rating: 4 stars
Despite the fact that this book was far from perfect, I really enjoyed it. I absolutely loved both MCs. Dante and Ben were wonderful together and though they suffered from a major case of insta-love, I bought into their mating all the way. I also loved the side characters. Bastian, Dimitri and Sam were all great characters and added to the story. I think my two biggest complaints were everyone was just too lovey dovey with each other. Everyone in the coven was falling down nice to
Louise
Mar 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The Prince!

I would give this story 6 stars if I could. Normally I'm not into Vampire stories much but this one is excellent. The virgin Ben and his best friend Sam go out to a club, when Ben looks up, he sees Fate.
Antoinete Lyles
Feb 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
Cute read

When I spotted the title, I thought that it was going to be another vampire meets fated mate, trouble puts everyone in danger, everyone survives the fight, bad guys gets their just desserts, and everyone lives a happy forever. I WAS WRONG! This story had my emotions going in all directions. I had a good laugh at Ben's friend Sam and his thought process. Also, I love the chemistry between Tye and Ben. You can not help but to cheer them on. I really enjoyed this book and cannot wait for
Anna
Feb 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I really loved this story. Its an excellent start to a new series. Very low angst and thats more than okay! And I didnt even mind the instalove because sometimes its necessary.
Highly recommended for those that dont mind!
Happy reading!!!
Claire Simmons
Oct 05, 2019 rated it liked it
2.5 Stars**

Oh, boy. I think a part of me enjoyed this book, but there were so many problems with it. The characters were...underdeveloped, to put it lightly. Ben acted like an 11-year-old. The cheesiness was over-the-top. There was no real reason for them to have feelings for each other other than that it was "fate". Their relationship did not grow. I usually love insta-love between soulmates, but this was way too much. Becoming boyfriends within a couple of hours? When previously, Ben had been
Samantha Foster
Sep 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Loved it

This was a fantastic read. Ben was adorkably sweet, with these splashes of goofy and naughty. Dante was heart stopping romantic and fiercely protective. Together they were absolutely perfect. This book had it all... action, intrigue, love, laughter, smoking hot sconces, and great friends. Sam was hilarious and I loved his and Ben's friendship. I cant wait for Bastien story and I'm dying to see who ends up with the irrepressible Sam. I definitely want more in the series and would
Melynda
Oct 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book!

This is the first book I have read by this author. I thoroughly enjoyed the experience. The story was well thought out and written. The best thing was the characters, both the MC's and the secondary ones. I usually do not laugh while reading many MM vampire romance books. But this book was hilarious. The dynamic between Dante, the Prince, and Sam, the soul mate's best friend, is worth reading the book alone. I can't wait to read book 2!
Annie Elm
Jan 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
3,5 stars

A good vampire book.
If you like soulmates, fated mates and a old fashioned and romantic vampire and a innocent virgin this would fit perfectly.
I liked Dantes and Bens friends (especially Sam) and there's some funny moments with them.
But even if Dante and Ben are just right for each other I wasn't as wooed as Ben, it's a cute read and a good book though.
Levi
Jan 14, 2020 rated it it was ok
OMG ... it was almost a dnf bcs this book is baaad hahahahaha but than Sam happened and it changed my POV . And from on i saw this to MC as a delusional mental persons who went through life oblivious of the wtf looks and what they trough it was awe it was actually a are-you-for-real-?! look.

Maan it was bad, but i laughed so hard bcs of this stupidity!

Dear author , no hard feelings <3 !
Xochitl
Sep 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I always have a soft spot for vampire stories so when I discovered this book I immediately decided to borrow it from KU. The story is sweet, really really sweet. I enjoyed Dante and Ben as fated mates and falling in love with each other. Sam character is amazing and even as at the end the author promised Bastians book, Im hoping a Sams book soon. Pretty please??? 🙏🙏🙏 ...more
Hurlingturtles
Oct 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Good

This is an enjoyable book if you love insta-love relationships with little struggle or drama and lots of sappy fluff. I wished Ben at least struggled with the existence of vampires more but he was very calm about it. Too calm, really. I also though that Ben was overly feminine at times. But the sex was hot and the side characters were likable.
Jennifer  Ali
Sep 04, 2019 rated it did not like it
Dnfing at 49% and that was a push.
I HATE Dnfing because no matter how bad I think a book is I like to stick it out till the end so my judgement is fair. But I honestly just cant. Its waaayyyyyy too insta love, sunshine and candy floss, will you marry me even though Ive known you for seconds....for me. Some people might love it! Im just not one of em soz!
Karen
Dec 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I started out with this book through Kindle Unlimited but loved it so much less then halfway through I purchased it and book 2. Well written with well developed characters. I can't wait to read more by this author.
nikki brackenbury
Aug 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
So sweet

This story was super sweet . It was lighthearted and funny . Ben and Sam were funny together . I'm looking forward to the next in the series .
Donna Miley
Nov 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Loved it

I'm a fan of this author, so I was pretty sure I'd love this story. I did! Ben and Dante were so sweet and Hot! Thoroughly enjoyed it and waiting for the next book.
Tony Williamson,jr.
Sep 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A great twist!

A very funny and sexy twist of the Vampire genre. Sam is a laugh a minute friend that everyone needs. He is funny, foul mouthed and fiercely loyal and protective.
Julie Addicott
I've been a fan of Jayda Marx for quite a while but I've always steered clear of her PNR novels. I'm so glad I took the chance on this series now.
Once Bitten is one of those books you read when you're looking for a bit of a fun escape from reality. It's very sweet, very low angst, and full of humour and witty dialogue between characters. As far as paranormal romance goes, I've never read anything like this one.
Jayda Marx's vampires are loving, sweet, and possessively committed to their fated
Julie Taylor
Mar 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Really good

A surprisingly sweet vampire story and I really enjoyed it Ben and Dante were great , I loved Bens bestie Sam though hes adorable
Sabrina
Mar 23, 2020 rated it did not like it
Shelves: dnf
LMAO @everything.

This is too much. It was so bad it was funny.
Both good and bad:
It was sweeter than candy though, which is both good and bad depending on the mood I'm in for what to read.
I did however, enjoy the story. The secondary characters were lovely.
Em
Mar 04, 2020 rated it it was ok
Nope, not for me. Felt like a story for the YA market.
Morgan  Skye
Feb 25, 2020 rated it really liked it
I went looking for this author after finding her recent shifter story- Mine to Save- and found this beauty!

This is even more sappy than that book but just as indulgently wonderful, too.

If youre in the mood for sweet and you like vampire insta love give this a go!

(The editing is good, but the cover needs a lot of attention :). )

Ryane
Feb 21, 2020 added it
Shelves: no-repeat
I don't even know where to start with this. The pacing and voicing were..... not good.

The use of Spanish pet names were awkward considering the way the writing was over all. The voicing of the Spanish vampires sounded like a really bad impression of Antonia Banderas.
Alan Wilson
Feb 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A brilliant book! For those who say it was TOO MUCH and the insta-love is silly, well thats explained in the authors note at the very beginning, and if you werent willing to accept that, you shouldnt have bothered starting the book.

I loved it, the story was fun, it made me laugh, it made me catch my breath; totally worthwhile and I will read the next one, or however many there will be! I will agree to some points wishing Ben wasnt quite so immature, but then Im not 21 anymore, and who knows how
Itzel Nañez
Feb 06, 2020 rated it liked it

• Defender (The Lost Pack #1)
  • Keeper (The Lost Pack, #2)
  • The Alpha and His King (Kincaid Pack #1)
  • Sentinel (The Lost Pack #3)
  • His Bewildered Mate (Unexpected Mates #1)
  • His Elder Dragon (Divine Dragons #1)
  • Little Red (Big Bad Wolves #1)
  • The Christmas Dragon's Mate (Lonely Dragons Club #1)
  • How to Vex a Vampire (VRC: Vampire Related Crimes #1)
  • Die Pretty (Vampires of Blood and Bones #3)
  • Claiming Bite (Howler Brothers, #1)
  • Family Ties (The Family Novak #1)
  • Stop at Nothing (The Chosen One #5)
  • Betrayed (The Lost Wolves #1)
  • Homerun Daddy (Timberwood Cove, #1)
  • Truth (Wolves of Walker County, #1)
  • The Vampire's Club: Book Five (The Vampire's Club, #5)
  • Ezra's Awakening: A Blood and Bones Christmas (Vampires of Blood and Bones #4)
I live in rural Ohio with my husband and two sons who drive me nuts, but I love them with all my heart. I enjoy reading and writing romance of all types, but gay romance is my forte and favorite! Twice the sexy men? Yes, please! My books tend to be low angst because it hurts my heart, but they do contain lots of heartfelt moments, steamy scenes and a healthy dose of humor. Thank you to everyone ...more

Javier Coven (3 books)
  • Twice Shy (Javier Coven #2)
  • Twice Bitten (Javier Coven #3)

News & Interviews