Start by marking “Feathertide” as Want to Read:

Feathertide

A girl.

A secret.

A life-changing journey.

Born covered in the feathers of a bird, and kept hidden in a crumbling house full of secrets, Marea has always known she was different, but never known why. And so to find answers, she goes in search of the father she has never met.

The hunt leads her to the City of Murmurs, a place of mermaids and mystery, where jars of swirlin
Published July 30th 2020 by Del Rey

To ask other readers questions about Feathertide, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Feathertide

Start your review of Feathertide
Renee Godding
May 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
Rating: 4/5 stars

“A place full of memories can never be completely empty”

A strange baby-girl is born in a whorehouse, covered in the feathers of a bird. Her father is a mystery, that came from the mist and worshiped the sky.
Growing up in the whorehouse, away from the prying eyes of strangers on her feathers, Marea has always felt a deep feeling of displacement: she doesn’t belong here. On her eighteenth birthday she leaves her sheltered life behind and sets off to the distant City of Murmurs
Whispering Stories
Apr 24, 2020 rated it really liked it
Book Reviewed on www.whisperingstories.com

After a night of passion with a man she had only just met and didn’t even catch his name in the City of Murmurs Leman finds that she is pregnant. Marea is born in the whorehouse that Leman lives in. She is born with feathers on her shoulders and to keep her away from the prying eyes she is brought up in a basement room where she lives with her mother and has a tutor.

She is only allowed out once a year and granted one wish she can put in her wish jar. On
Sonja Arlow
I didn’t hate the book, it was an easy read however it’s a safe little story, no real tension even if there is a hint at adventure. I suspect that a younger audience will identify more with the main character and storyline.

I also think the publishers should not have specifically recommended this for fans of The Bear and the Nightingale and The Night Circus It created unfair expectations that unfortunately was not met.

And then there are the overabundance of similes. It became very distracting an
ʙᴇʟᴀ.: ☾**:.☆*.:。.
"Sometimes there is beauty in broken things."

The Ten thousand doors of January meets Gabriel and the Swallows. 4, 5 stars.
In Feathertide we follow Marea, a girl born of a human mother and a Sky-Worshipper father (Sky worshippers are bird people reminiscent of something like angels aka humanoids with wings that speak like birds). Marea grows up very sheltered and overprotected in a whorehouse, until one day she decides to search for her father and travels to the city of Murmurs, the place whe
Alayne Emmett
Aug 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I don’t read fantasy very much but, this book caught my eye and I thought I’d just try it. Well I’m glad I did, I throughly enjoyed it, it was refreshing and very readable. The main character was very likeable and I really wanted her to find her father and achieve some happiness.
It was a very enjoyable book to read without being bogged down to lots of fighting and battles as with a lot of fantasy books. This one was gentle and calm. The descriptions were wonderful and I could picture the boats
Rebecca | Velvet Opus
Marea is unusual; she is born under a luminous star-filled sky, with a tiny feather cluster growing from her shoulder and a wisp of feathers down her back. Raised in a whorehouse and hidden away in the basement, she stores wishes in a jar, until she turns eighteen and sets out to find her estranged birdlike father in the City of Water…

“It was as though someone had sprinkled a giant spoonful of sugar over everything and left it there to melt - waiting for the summer to pour out its warm brew.”

Th
Nov 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Magical, inventive and unique. A truly beautiful story
jhanami
Mar 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I found this highly original, unusual and unexpected - beautifully written, reminiscent of old fairy tales, yet very modern in its concepts, full of weirdness and wonder and wisdom. Some of the scenes are stunningly well composed and it made me well up a few times, I’m still not quite sure how to describe what I’ve read - maybe this is a book about loss, maybe it’s about love and hope, maybe it’s about growing up and realising that nothing is what it seems and you never know the stories other pe ...more
Words & Nocturnes
Apr 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Where do I begin with Feathertide? It's beauty layered upon beauty and more beauty. And what is beauty? I'd like to think that beauty is what Donna Tartt writes in The Secret History, that "beauty is terror. Whatever we call beautiful, we quiver before it". I wouldn't say that the beauty in Feathertide is entirely terrifying, for the book is made up of many forms of beauty. There is terror, thrill, and excitement, but there is also kindness, love, and acceptance.

Set in a city of dreams and wishe
Shaun Nightshade
Mar 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Rarely there comes a book that makes you go wow. When it does you want to treasure every word, savour the book, never let it end. This is that book. It’s a wonderful story accompanied by the most wonderful vocabulary that makes you feel you’re experiencing the journey of Marea.

Marea is born into a brothel, a girl different from all the rest. She’s kept away from the world and brought up by her mother, who obviously love her. Marea is different from everyone else as she has feathers on her back.
Roxanne Michelle
Feb 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Right from the start Cartwright's writing is truly magical. The descriptive world building had me falling head over heels instantly and I was elated to discover this is consistent throughout the novel. The imagery written into each page is beautiful and had me returning to Feathertide at every given opportunity.

Written in the past tense from first person POV we follow Marea's life from the day she was born. Using a child as the narrator gives the book an innocent, naive tone which heightened the
Luna
Mar 19, 2020 rated it did not like it
Sadly the book offered nothing new or memorable .

* I received an e-ARC from the publisher in exchange for an honest review via netgalley
ClaireJ
Aug 02, 2020 rated it really liked it
This beautiful story felt like I was reading some kind of poetic, dreamy tale that completely enchants your mind. I was immediately captivated by the author’s style of writing and it is probably one of the most imaginative, magical books I have ever read. While you read it you feel a sense of calm wash over you and you are literally taken in with the tide and you wash up at the end feeling like you have been on a journey to a fairytale land. The imagery is just out of this world, you can imagine ...more
Dan Bassett
Mar 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A Girl. A secret. A life-Changing Journey.
Maréa was born covered in feathers, and kept hidden away from prying eyes in a crumbling whorehouse that plays coy with its many secrets.
She has always known she was different, an outcast but never known why.
To find such answers to her growing list of question, she goes in search of the father she never knew.
A hunt that leads her to the City of Murmurs - a mysterious place where jars of mist are carried around by those with a broken heart 💔
And Maréa will
Amber Wendy
Feb 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A beautifully crafted debut! I adored every piece, from the unique characters to the setting that put me so in mind of the mysterious winding canals of Venice. Delicious and captivating.
Emma Lee
Feb 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Quite literally the most beautiful book I’ve ever read. I can honestly liken finishing it to feeling like waking from a dream I didn’t want to end.
Brandy {The Review Booth}
Sometimes I come across books that make me savor each and every scrap of world-building descriptions - this is one of those books. Feathertide was truly a beautiful coming of age tale for one unusual little girl named Marea. Her story is one of personal growth, discovery, and acceptance. The pacing is like a stroll through all the lovely descriptions Beth Cartwright breathes to life in her book. If fast-paced and action-packed books are your cup of tea you may not enjoy this one.

It was hard to p
Liv
Feathertide was not quite what I expected based on first impressions from the cover, but it turned out to be a beautiful coming-of-age, fantasy novel steeped in magical-realism and focused on ideas of self-confidence and love.

The novel follows a young girl Marea who is born with feathers and kept hidden away in the cellar of a whore-house for her whole life. She slowly begins to realise as she grows up that she is different from those who inhabit her world around her and she hides herself and he
ReadingInPyjamas
Aug 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
A lovely debut novel by Beth Cartwright. A well-crafted fantasy story that takes the reader on a magical adventure.

Marea has always been always an outcast. Born covered in feathers and keep locked away in the basement of a whorehouse, she is permitted only once a year to go out and put a wish in her wishing jar. Her most ardent wish is freedom and to locate her father. She doesn't know who he is, the only thing Marea has from him are the feathers on her back. And on her 18th birthday, she decid
Lauren Easey
Jan 27, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
Thanks to Netgalley and PRH/Ebury for the free review copy.

I really enjoyed this book! Way more than I thought I was going to. It gave me serious 'Museum of Extraordinary Things' vibes, but more fantastical and slightly less dark. The premise is super interesting and original, I love the idea of this concentrated intrigue and mystery surrounding one girl who was born with feathers. You very easily fall into her story, confined to her small world much like she is. When she finally steps out and b
Steph Warren
Feb 18, 2021 rated it really liked it
*I received a free ARC of this novel, with thanks to the author, Cornerstone / Penguin Random House and NetGalley. The decision to review and my opinions are my own.*

Feathertide is a compelling blend of the mundane and the fantastical, in the form of a ‘coming of age’ fairytale.

Main character, Marea, is born with feathers and is hidden away in the basements of a brothel for most of her life, to avoid her being used or abused by an outside world that doesn’t understand her beauty. Unfortunately,
Angharad
Aug 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
Thank you to Penguin Books UK for sending me a copy in exchange for an honest review.

The first time I saw this book, more specifically its cover, I knew I needed to find out about it and I was gratefully sent a copy to review. Other than the little synopsis we are given, I went into this book fairly blind and I’m so glad I did.
The book follows Maréa from her birth all the way into her late teens and we see the incredible journey she goes on – both literally and emotionally. We follow her early d
Mridula Gupta
May 17, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Everything you need to know about Feathertide by Beth Cartwright
Rep: Bisexual protagonist, Sapphic romance.
What you get?
🍷Marea, born with feathers and kept hidden from the world in a whorehouse, ventures out to the City of Murmurs at the age of 17 to find her father and her true identity.
🍷Things happen exceptionally fast in this story and the author carefully avoids any mishaps. I mean, how lucky can a person be? Things are way too easy for this lady.
🍷A lot of effort has been given to beautif
Danni The Girl
Mar 21, 2020 rated it really liked it
"He brings me such happiness, but love after loss is always a little bit more fragile-like a bird with a broken wing trying to fly again. There should be a word for that kind of love"

I received an online copy from Netgally, thank you.
The cover of this novel caught my eye, and I'm so glad it did.

This story is about a girl who has feathers, but has always been hidden from the world because she is too beautiful.
As she grows, she starts to question the world she lives in and wants answers.

This i
Silverboggle
Nov 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I was drawn into this story from the prologue. Marea has had an intriguing start to her life, hidden away in a whorehouse, the pet of all but protected from prying eyes and scared that her secret will be found out. On reaching adulthood she embarks on a journey to find her roots and meets a cast of delightful characters on the way.
This is a tale of magic; of difference and acceptance; of friendship, love, hope and new beginnings.
It will certainly have appeal in the young adult market- but also
Abbie
Jul 28, 2020 rated it liked it
Marea has always been different from everyone else. She was born with feathers and never understood why. When she reaches adulthood she decides to visit the City of Murmurs in hope of finding her Father and the answers she needs. Whilst there she'll find adventure, love and herself.

I think this would be a really good starting point for those just getting into fantasy. It's quite a light hearted and the writing style and details are really easy to follow. I enjoyed all the characters and the over
Vedika Mehendale
Definitely one of the best fairytales written!
Reading this book was like disappearing into a completely different world yet it felt as if I was returning home.

It was refreshing to read a book with a completely new type of world building that isn't unnecessarily confusing. We follow Marea, half girl half bird. She has never met her father but heard stories about him from her mother. And in order to find herself, she must first find her father. In search for him, Marea finds herself on an enchanti
Regards, Matty
Aug 31, 2020 rated it did not like it
To my greatest disappointment I had to DNF this one half way through.

The storyline was doing nothing for me at all. I had no motivation to continue reading as the writing failed to make me care about the characters at all. I also had no excitement what so ever to see this damn magical city that was promised.

The writing style wasn’t my favourite. I feel like a younger audience would’ve enjoyed it far more. This is because I felt like it had a very “adolescent” YA tone, rather than an adult fant
Jeannette Allen
Jan 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is a truly beautiful book in which the reader is transported to a magical place. The setting in which the main character Marea is introduced, is an unusual one and although this is where she finds the warmth of maternal love it is also the place which forces her to fly the nest in order to discover the truth about her very unusual bird-like characteristics. The language is quite beyond anything I have read in a long time. It had me reaching out for a pen to jot down some beautiful phrases w ...more
Rachael
Dec 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
From the moment I opened the first page, I was welcomed into a magical world of mermaids and murmuring cities. Beth Cartwright's stunning prose left me enchanted and enthralled and I love this style of writing.

This is not a fast-paced action book, but it never promised to be that, instead it gives the reader time to savour the imagery, the world she has created, and the characters who live there.

I would recommend this book to anyone who appreciates beautiful language and for those who want to es
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• The Snow Song
  • The Vine Witch (Vine Witch, #1)
  • Witch
  • See Me Not
  • The Story of Silence
  • Saving Noah
  • The Shadow in the Glass
  • Big Sky (Jackson Brodie, #5)
  • The Unlikely Escape of Uriah Heep
  • The Secret Commonwealth (The Book of Dust #2)
  • A Crown of Talons (A Throne of Swans #2)