Start by marking “Up Close and Personal (Auckland Med #3)” as Want to Read:
Up Close and Personal (Auckland Med #3)

Up Close and Personal

(Auckland Med. #3)

DETECTIVE MARK KNIGHT has a serious problemone that comes in the form of Auckland Meds brand-new forensic pathologist. Six feet of delicious blond-haired, scary smart, stern and disapproving hotnessDR EDWARD R NEWTON.

The man is miles out of Marks league; completely opposite in almost every way, and shockingly immune to Marks flirtations. Mark should just let him go. But
Published March 12th 2020 by Southern Lights Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Up Close and Personal, please sign up.
Jay Hogan Yes. It is coming. The paperback was done through Ingram Spark which is why it is up but Amazon is making me jump through hoops for some reason to…moreYes. It is coming. The paperback was done through Ingram Spark which is why it is up but Amazon is making me jump through hoops for some reason to prove I have the legal rights to my third book -go figure. We are working through it but until we have a resolution it waits...(less)

Start your review of Up Close and Personal (Auckland Med #3)
Cadiva
Mar 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My favourite in this series for sure, I absolutely loved the prickly Dr Edward R Newton and adored out there Detective Mark Knight.

I also love that each book in this series has been radically different from the others, this one falling almost directly into the romantic suspense narrative.

Now, I will admit that the big bad did make me 'wtf' a bit but I won't spoiler what my reasons were as I don't want to ruin anyone's reading experience.

Having said that though, I think Jay definitely did
Dee
Mar 30, 2020 rated it really liked it
Joyfully Jay
Mar 12, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: michelle
A Joyfully Jay review.

Up Close and Personal follows along with the Auckland Med series. Edward is the doctor that works in the hospital and Mark is the detective that reluctantly has to watch an autopsy Edward performs. The hospital connects the series, as well as Mark being close friends with the MCs from previous books. Edward and Mark have crossed paths over the last few months and they have definitely noticed each other. Mark has a reputation as being a player and that is not at
Caz
Mar 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
I've given this a B at AAR.

Up Close and Personal is the third book in Jay Hogans Auckland Med. series of novels featuring characters who work in law enforcement and emergency services in New Zealands largest city.  The opposites-attract romance between a quietly contained pathologist and a flirtatious, out-and-proud detective has lots of lovely UST and is a delicious slow burn, and the mystery is well-paced, with some nicely-done action scenes and narrative twists.  The leads are complex and
Ilona Ahrens
Mar 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
it is difficult to stay objectiv with this one, because it feels like this book has been written just for me. it has everything I love in a book: a suspense packed crime story, deceipt and betrayl (not between the lovers but as part of the crime aspect), a playboy, a pathologist (sigh; I dont know why I like those so much: I think their work is so fascinating), deep characters with great background stories, one of the MCs sexual orientation is not super common in books, the hotness level is just ...more
Amy Dufera
Mar 26, 2020 rated it really liked it
Jay Hogan's Up Close and Personal is a good suspenseful romance. The third book of the Auckland Med series, it's easily read as a standalone. The hospital is what connects the books.

Mark and Ed are two men working together to solve a murder case. Their story is full of tension and chemistry. And when they give in, wow! Just hot!

This is a story of attraction, flirting, and working together. It includes some good humor, some sweet moments, and a large drooling dog.

Written in alternating third
Didi
3.5 Stars rounded Up

Why did I wait to start (reading) this series!? The third installment to Jay Hogans Auckland Med series brought together Detective Mark Knight and forensic pathologist Dr. Edward R. Newton in a lively and exciting UP CLOSE AND PERSONAL. Mark was first introduced in the series first book, already grabbing attention there. Here, he enjoyed the heck out of goading and provoking calm and cool Edward. The clash of opposing personalities and sparks of chemistry of the men were such
Kat
Mar 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A riveting mystery with a scorching hot romance. Detective Mark Knight is seriously infatuated with Auckland Meds new forensic pathologist Dr. Edward Newton. Mark is known as a bit of a player and he hasnt had any real interest in settling into monogamy. Edward hates casual hookups and needs a connection along with intimacy. This does not initially make the two men a match made in heaven. Despite their differences, both are shocked by their intense attraction.
A string of deaths and an attempt on
Maryann Kafka
Mar 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Jay Hogan brings readers the third installment to the Auckland Med series, Up Close and Personal. She gives a creative, in-depth look at Detective Mark Knight and Dr. Edward R. Newton. They are put in a position that isolates them from others and it gives them time to communicate without too many interruptions. From heartbreaking situations to humorous ones, Mark and Edward take the time to listen to each other and really do some deep soul searching to understand their thoughts and feelings.

Anne Barwell
I love this authors writing, and got hooked on this series with the first one I read. The characters and both work together to pull me into the story immediately, and I know when I start reading one of her books I have a couple of late nights ahead of me as I dont want to put them down.

I loved both Mark and Edward, and it was great to see others from previous books in the series like Cam, Josh, Reuben and Paris, and touch base with where theyre at now. The supporting cast feel very well
Anna Torres
Mar 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Living away from his family, under a lot of stress adjusting to a new place and a new job, Ed has no time for love. He has never been interested in hookups, ever! But sometimes a man can change his mind, right? Maybe? For the right, or not-so-right but so-much-fun guy?

Now I love my stories with mystery, mayhem and lots of one-on-one interaction, and this tale certainly delivered those and so much more.

Having crushes at his age comes as a surprise to Mark, especially if that someone he is
Elle
Mar 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved how Casanova Mark was brought to heel in this excellent third book in the series. What a beautiful slow burn romance. Mark and Edward are a match made in heaven. They took their time getting there, but what a wonderful, fun, sweet and sexy journey.

Although this is romance/mystery, the emphasis is very much on the developing relationship between Mark and Edward. The two both have trust issues and the question is can they get past them and be together? Ms Logan outdid herself
Christina Wade - BFD Book Blog
Mar 16, 2020 rated it really liked it
Another great read from Ms. Hogan! Even though there are appearances from previous characters in the series - Cam, Reuben, Josh and Michael all pop in for a bit this book definitely can be read as a standalone.

I love the flirting and teasing between Mark and Edward. The sexual tension between them sizzles! They do fumble around each other quite a bit but when it counts, they figure out what theyre doing rather quickly and are fantastic together. Marks player persona is a little bit of a mask
Nadège
DNF @ 30%

It's maybe the first time I find the "mystery" part more interesting than the "romance" part.

I just don't feel the chemestry between the characters, they don't seem to match at all.
Mark is a bit annoying and his dialogs are borderline ridiculous sometimes, everything is about the esthetic and body of someone but "shame on you to dare believe this is all there is me". He created a persona for himself, I didn't get far enough to know why but I don't see the point.

As for Ed, his character
Philip Cowsill
Mar 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Wow! What a story! Up Close and Personal is the story of Mark a gay police detective and Edward a bi pathologist who become involved in a murder investigation but also slowly develop an attraction to one another. This is the third book in the Auckland Med series and we meet again some of the characters of the previous two books. Each book is different in theme but all as good as each other.

The dialogue is full of humour, snark and endearment. Jay Hogan has written a great whodunnit intertwined
Mrs.V
Mar 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc
The perfect balance between romance and suspance.
I adore this series, and I love how all the three books are so different from one another. With some visiting characters, especially in this one.

The characters are great: prickly and sometimes fastidious pathologist Edward has all his walls build up a mile high, but when they fall down and he let's loose, he's wild!
Detective Mark is a carefree, no-strings-attached, no-commitment man, but when he sets his mind and his heart on something (or
Essie (Book Ninja Princess)
I really like this writer as well as this series but this book was not my favorite and I struggled to finish it. The beginning was a lot (A Lot!!!) of internal musings of both MCs about why they didnt/couldnt/wouldnt want a relationship but OMG they were so attracted to one another. There were too many Okay, I get it, can we please move on with the story eyerolls from me. But when they got together, it was fireworks. The last suspense scene was also an edge of the seat scene. So, that bumped it ...more
Elaine Gray
Mar 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Alita
Mar 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Another great Jay Hogan book!

If you have read any of Jay Hogans books, you know you are in for an interesting and engaging story line with finely drawn main characters.Mark and Edward have commitment issues due to their realistic personal historys . These issues are handled in a timely fashion, dont drag on, dont over shadow the whole story.There is an interesting crime drama that propels the storyline to a satisfying conclusion.I recommend you spend a few hours in Jays world, you will love it.
Jodi
Mar 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This one from the Auckland Med series might just be my favorite. I simply adored Edward. He has amazing hidden depths and I loved they way he surprised Mark. Of course, it works both way and Mark unsettles Edward as well. The story moves along quite nicely. It was nice to see the other MC's from the previous books. So, while you don't need to read them to enjoy this book, I would recommend simply because of how good this series is. I giggled a lot while reading and a lot of it had to do with a ...more
Barbara
Mar 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Mark is a detective and is involved in a murder investigation as is Edward the Pathologist. As they dig deeper into a personal relationship, they are digging deeper into the murder. A tale of who-dun-it where you have not a clue who is the bad guy with the author doing an excellent job of leading the reader astray. Mark and Edward get in too close to the answers and are put on the run and go in hiding. A tense and excellent murder mystery with a large dog named Tink and two men and friends work ...more
Kathee
Mar 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing
My favorite so far! A full 5 stars!

This is my favorite of the three books in the Auckland Med series so far. While I thought Mark was a bit annoying at the beginning, the author gently allows the reader to get to know him at the same time as the other MC Ed, and I fell for them both. Their chemistry is immediate, but I love the character -imposed slow down of their romance. The mystery is solid, the sex is hot, and the length is perfect. (I love long books, but hate needless page filler. ) It
Cynthia Boris
Apr 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Highly engaging, sexy and full of suspense - Up Close and Personal is the only mm romance to ever hold my attention because of the combination of super police procedural plot and the likeable, sexy characters.

Mark and Edward won my heart and Jay Hogan did to with superb word choice that had me laughing out loud and holding my breath (when things got scary). I'm not a dog person, but Jay made me love Tink! She needs to find the love of her life in the next installment.

Will there be more of Mark
Dan
Apr 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book is my favorite from this series thus far! It fits more in the "murder mystery romance" corner, unlike first impressions (a classic contemporary) and crossing the touchline (a sports romance). It's exciting, heartwarming, and both sweet and spicy at moments. This is the kind of book you can't easily put down until you get answers, and of which you are thinking about when you are actually forced to. Absolutely amazing!
Emily  Muddle
Mar 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I feel like I've been waiting for Mark's book forever, and it certainly delivered! Has to be my new favourite in the series without a doubt. I lived for the tension and chemistry between Mark and the gorgeous pathologist, Edward. Their clashing personalities led to amazing banter and hilarious interactions, and as always, the writing is superb. Add in the fact there is a gripping murder mystery, and this had absolutely everything I crave in a well-balanced romantic suspense story.
Melanie
Mar 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Fabulous and an instant re-read!

Grownups falling in love. Gotta love it! The characters are full on people in their own right. Successful, moderately mature men that while it isnt insta-love, have an extremely hot instant attraction. And then. TALK TO EACH OTHER. what a concept!!! I loved this book. Going back to the beginning and re-reading the first two!
Joscelyn Smith
Mar 24, 2020 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed watching Edward and Mark dance around each other. Edward was so not picking up what Mark was putting down but a little close proximity while working on a string of murders helps them develop a deeper connection. Their relationship journey is a great addition to the Auckland Med series.

*I voluntarily reviewed an ARC of this book*
Patricia Nelson
Mar 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The author has written a fantastic, suspenseful, gripping, grab-you-by-the-feels, amazing, slow burning, snarky, completely unexpected, exciting, and totally awesome mix of murder and simmering romance. Filled with mystery, danger, suspense, and more twists and turns than a roller coaster, I would DEFINITELY recommend getting this marvelous book immediately.
Jen Moun
Apr 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Knocked it out the park

I have loved the other two books in the series and can say Jay has another hit on her hams with this one. Loved the interactions between Mark and Edward. Was happy to reconnect with Rueben and Cam and Josh and Micheal. So now when is Sandys book?
Toni K
Mar 31, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Goodreads Librari...: New book in series filed wrongly under previous book 6 18 Mar 08, 2020 03:56PM

• More Than Life
  • Throwing Hearts
  • Caulky (Four Bears Construction, #1)
  • Virgin Flyer
  • Cancer Ships Aquarius (Signs of Love, #5)
  • Out on the Ice (Out in College, #5)
  • To Have It All
  • Work-Love Balance (Out & About, #1)
  • Saving Rafe (Lords of Discord #2)
  • The Best Friend (Red's Tavern, #1)
  • Falling For My Roommate
  • Ex Meridian (Nothing Special, #7)
  • Giving Chase (Havenwood #1)
  • Principles of Spookology (The Spectral Files, #2)
  • Pretty Perfect (Boys in Makeup, #1)
  • Pros & Cons of Desire (Pros & Cons, #3)
  • Temptation (Breaking the Rules #2)
  • Murder at Pirate's Cove (Secrets and Scrabble, #1)

JAY HOGAN IS A 2020 LAMBDA LITERARY FINALIST IN GAY ROMANCE and a New Zealand author writing in m/m romance and romantic suspense.She has travelled extensively and lived in a few different countries. In another life, she was an Intensive Care Nurse, Counselor, and Nursing Lecturer.

She is owned by a huge Maine Coon cat and a gorgeous Cocker Spaniel

You can find Jay at:

Auckland Med. (3 books)
  • First Impressions (Auckland Med. #1)
  • Crossing the Touchline (Auckland Med #2)

News & Interviews