Start by marking “Up Close and Personal (Auckland Med., #3)” as Want to Read:
Up Close and Personal (Auckland Med., #3)

Up Close and Personal

(Auckland Med. #3)

DETECTIVE MARK KNIGHT has a serious problem—one that comes in the form of Auckland Med’s brand-new forensic pathologist. Six feet of delicious blond-haired, scary smart, stern and disapproving hotness—DR EDWARD R NEWTON.

The man is miles out of Mark’s league; completely opposite in almost every way, and shockingly immune to Mark’s flirtations. Mark should just let him go.
Published March 12th 2020 by Southern Lights Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Up Close and Personal, please sign up.
Jay Hogan Yes. It is coming. The paperback was done through Ingram Spark which is why it is up but Amazon is making me jump through hoops for some reason to pro…moreYes. It is coming. The paperback was done through Ingram Spark which is why it is up but Amazon is making me jump through hoops for some reason to prove I have the legal rights to my third book -go figure. We are working through it but until we have a resolution it waits...(less)

Start your review of Up Close and Personal (Auckland Med., #3)
Cadiva
Mar 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My favourite in this series for sure, I absolutely loved the prickly Dr Edward R Newton and adored out there Detective Mark Knight.

I also love that each book in this series has been radically different from the others, this one falling almost directly into the romantic suspense narrative.

Now, I will admit that the big bad did make me 'wtf' a bit but I won't spoiler what my reasons were as I don't want to ruin anyone's reading experience.

Having said that though, I think Jay definitely did enou
Papie
Mar 24, 2021 rated it it was ok
It took me days to finish this book. Including one anxiety filled insomnia night where the book wasn’t captivating enough to keep the anxious thoughts away. I almost DNF multiple times, but because there was nothing really wrong with the book, I kept reading.

I really liked Edward and Mark. But I was underwhelmed by their romance. They have both sworn off relationships. Edward doesn’t do hookups either, whereas Mark fucks anything with a dick. Their initial flirty banter is hot and entertaining.
Christelle
Third in the Auckland series, a sexy series with a bunch of friends, each getting to meet their plus-one. I greatly enjoy this author, the banter and hotness she pours into her books, mostly with characters opposite in characters, mild angst and a good cast of secondary characters. But this time it was a miss.

After Reuben, the caring All Blacks star, and Cam, the sassy nurse (my fav because I discovered this author, to my great enjoyment, with that book), after Michael, the hot doctor, and Josh,
Miriam
51% dnf! wtf happened?!!! Books 1 and 2 were fucking awesome but this book right here ,, isn't!!! I really hope the other books in this series don't turn out to be duds like this one.

Even Gary Furlong's delicious talented voice couldn't help me push through.
Dee {MxM Only}
Mar 30, 2020 rated it really liked it
I decided to go blindly and pick a book and it was this one and I am not disappointed, I loved the MCs and the interactions between the two of them.

First Character is Dective Mark Knight and Here is his statement :

I don’t date, not any more. I learned my lesson. I fuck. There’s a big difference. Dating is exhausting. Fucking a guy’s brains out? Well, that’s just plain fun. And love? Shit. All props to the guys it works for, man, but I’d as soon cut my right nut off. I get shivers just thinking
Claudia
Jul 28, 2020 rated it really liked it
Oh this was much better than expected. I liked Mark very much, Edward did take a bit longer to like - as he really implied some things inbetween which were not only not nice but nearly unforgiveable.

but after some discussions - and I really appreciate that they talked, a lot - they worked it out.
the mystery was well done as well

I think I will read the other books in this series as well as I really enjoyed the book
True Loveislovereview
Mar 12, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: lgbtq, 2020
Edward and Mark

Mark noticed the new forensic pathologist Edward Newton, he liked what he saw. But Mark is a flirt with only one night stands. Lately, his mind is only focused on Ed.
If anything detective Mark Knight pushed all Ed’s buttons, only Ed doesn’t need a flirt. He’s looking for something steady.

Mark is intrigued by Ed, there is so much to discover under that cold demeanor.
Besides the case, they are working on we meet both men where they are attracted to each other and through work meet e
Ami

Hell, this definitely cemented Jay Hogan as an author for me. I LOVE ALL of her books I read so far, and this one, is probably my most favorite to date. There are so many things that work really well for me.

First of all, SPARKS. SIZZLING. FIRE-CRACKLING. SPARKS. It is mentioned that detective Mark Knight and forensic pathologist Dr. Edward R. Newton had known each other for a while -- and Mark had been flirting with the prickly Edward -- so this book is the moment where everything is F
~nikki the recovering book addict
Started off well...

This starting off really awesome! I loved the banter and the smart retorts. And then they just absolutely had to devolve into immature jerks who can’t do commitment.

The flip flop between wanting to be together and their phobia is real ya’ll. So real it got on my nerves. It felt like both of them took turns being immature jerks, to be honest. I started skimming after that because I just couldn’t handle them being worse than teenagers, really 🙈 gah!
Caz
Mar 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
I've given this a B at AAR.

Up Close and Personal is the third book in Jay Hogan’s Auckland Med. series of novels featuring characters who work in law enforcement and emergency services in New Zealand’s largest city.  The opposites-attract romance between a quietly contained pathologist and a flirtatious, out-and-proud detective has lots of lovely UST and is a delicious slow burn, and the mystery is well-paced, with some nicely-done action scenes and narrative twists.  The leads are complex a
Aki | nose buried in books | ❤️ |
4.5⭐ rounded up!
Joyfully Jay
Mar 12, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: michelle
A Joyfully Jay review.

Up Close and Personal follows along with the Auckland Med series. Edward is the doctor that works in the hospital and Mark is the detective that reluctantly has to watch an autopsy Edward performs. The hospital connects the series, as well as Mark being close friends with the MCs from previous books. Edward and Mark have crossed paths over the last few months and they have definitely noticed each other. Mark has a reputation as being a player and that is not at al
☆☆☆~Bev's Book World~☆☆☆
4.25 stars from me. Yes, I liked Mark from First Impressions, Josh's best friend and a DI in the Auckland Police. I also liked Edward R Newton, but I didn't feel as though either of them acted their age, although I'm happy Mark finally had his own HEA. Do all single men of practically 40 behave as those two did? I've been racking my brains trying to remember how I was at 40, and I think the answer is a lot more mature than those 2 for certain, although I was a mum and worked part-time too. Their ...more
Caz
Review to follow at AudioGals
Kristina
Mar 07, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5 Stars. I have had my eye on this series since it came out but I am the type of person who puts off certain series till there are more books out. I knew as soon as I read book three I had to go back and read the other two.

I loved Ed - he was witty and I loved how honest he was about where he stood concerning hookups and relationships. It was refreshing and I do believe that this is only the second time I have read about a character being demi.

Mark was a great character - funny and flirty, h
Debbie
Unlimited read April 2020

Didn't quite hit that spot that books one and two did, not for me anyway! It's good, yes, but not as good as the others, sorry :-(
Ilona Ahrens
Mar 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
it is difficult to stay objectiv with this one, because it feels like this book has been written just for me. it has everything I love in a book: a suspense packed crime story, deceipt and betrayl (not between the lovers but as part of the crime aspect), a playboy, a pathologist (sigh; I don´t know why I like those so much: I think their work is so fascinating), deep characters with great background stories, one of the MC´s sexual orientation is not super common in books, the hotness level is ju ...more
Amy Dufera - Amy's MM Romance Reviews
Jay Hogan's Up Close and Personal is a good suspenseful romance. The third book of the Auckland Med series, it's easily read as a standalone. The hospital is what connects the books.

Mark and Ed are two men working together to solve a murder case. Their story is full of tension and chemistry. And when they give in, wow! Just hot!

This is a story of attraction, flirting, and working together. It includes some good humor, some sweet moments, and a large drooling dog.

Written in alternating third pe
sky
Apr 26, 2020 rated it really liked it
4.5

i love this one more than the first book, i love that they talk things out, theyre so mature. god i was so frustrated with how josh and michael handled their separation, if only they fucking use their mouth to talk. and oh god edward and mark did just that, and it was so sexy and wonderful, i love couple with good communication, and no drama for the sake of drama it was so refreshing tbh.
Kath
Apr 17, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Elaine
Feb 14, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Loved it

Mark has gotten his story, and a good story indeed. I loved Edward, he's perfect for Mark. It was well-written, and had a great story line. I love the series.
Faith
May 30, 2021 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mm
My favorite so far.
Anne Barwell
I love this author’s writing, and got hooked on this series with the first one I read. The characters and both work together to pull me into the story immediately, and I know when I start reading one of her books I have a couple of late nights ahead of me as I don’t want to put them down.

I loved both Mark and Edward, and it was great to see others from previous books in the series like Cam, Josh, Reuben and Paris, and touch base with where they’re at now. The supporting cast feel very well deve
aru
Didi
3.5 Stars rounded Up

Why did I wait to start (reading) this series!? The third installment to Jay Hogan’s “Auckland Med” series brought together Detective Mark Knight and forensic pathologist Dr. Edward R. Newton in a lively and exciting UP CLOSE AND PERSONAL. Mark was first introduced in the series first book, already grabbing attention there. Here, he enjoyed the heck out of goading and provoking calm and cool Edward. The clash of opposing personalities and sparks of chemistry of the men were s
Kat
Mar 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A riveting mystery with a scorching hot romance. Detective Mark Knight is seriously infatuated with Auckland Med’s new forensic pathologist Dr. Edward Newton. Mark is known as a bit of a player and he hasn’t had any real interest in settling into monogamy. Edward hates casual hookups and needs a connection along with intimacy. This does not initially make the two men a match made in heaven. Despite their differences, both are shocked by their intense attraction.
A string of deaths and an attempt
Maryann Kafka
Mar 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Jay Hogan brings readers the third installment to the “Auckland Med” series, “Up Close and Personal”. She gives a creative, in-depth look at Detective Mark Knight and Dr. Edward R. Newton. They are put in a position that isolates them from others and it gives them time to communicate without too many interruptions. From heartbreaking situations to humorous ones, Mark and Edward take the time to listen to each other and really do some deep soul searching to understand their thoughts and feelings. ...more
Jill Mccaw
Apr 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nz-authours, 2020
I'm so pleased I discovered Jay Hogan

I love a good m/m romance. There's the whole, two hot men thing, but the thing I really enjoy is a relationship dynamic when both partners are equal. With het romance, even if the female is a kick arse karate queen (and most of them aren't) there's still a powershift in favour of the man.

In Up Close and Personal Edward and Mark, a pathologist and a cop, are good at what they do, mostly settled in their lives and both come with a truckload of relationship bagg
Anna Torres
Mar 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Living away from his family, under a lot of stress adjusting to a new place and a new job, Ed has no time for love. He has never been interested in hookups, ever! But sometimes a man can change his mind, right? Maybe? For the right, or not-so-right but so-much-fun guy?

Now I love my stories with mystery, mayhem and lots of one-on-one interaction, and this tale certainly delivered those and so much more.

Having crushes at his age comes as a surprise to Mark, especially if that someone he is crushi
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Goodreads Librari...: New book in series filed wrongly under previous book 4 18 Mar 08, 2020 03:56PM

• Bossy
  • Heartscape (Vino & Veritas, #2)
  • Featherbed (Vino & Veritas, #1)
  • On the Run (Whispering Key #2)
  • Merry Measure
  • Ranger
  • Liars (Licking Thicket, #2)
  • Murder at Pirate's Cove (Secrets and Scrabble, #1)
  • Jonty's Christmas (Unfinished Business #1.5)
  • The Murder Between Us (A Noah & Cole Thriller, #1)
  • Tic-Tac-Mistletoe
  • Right as Raine (Aster Valley #1)
  • Sweet as Honey (Aster Valley, #2)
  • Spring Strings
  • Off Plan (Whispering Key, #1)
  • Jonty in Russia (Unfinished Business 1.6)
  • Reckless Conduct (Cabrini Law #4)
  • Charlie Sunshine (Close Proximity, #2)
LGBT > Gay
See top shelves…

JAY HOGAN IS A 2020 LAMBDA LITERARY FINALIST IN GAY ROMANCE and a New Zealand author writing in m/m romance and romantic suspense.She has travelled extensively and lived in a few different countries. In another life, she was an Intensive Care Nurse, Counselor, and Nursing Lecturer.

She is owned by a huge Maine Coon cat and a gorgeous Cocker Spaniel

You can find Jay at:

Auckland Med. (5 books)
  • First Impressions (Auckland Med., #1)
  • Crossing the Touchline (Auckland Med., #2)
  • Against the Grain (Auckland Med., #4)
  • You Are Cordially Invited (Auckland Med., #5)

News & Interviews

“Now, head down the hall and to the right before you say something you’ll regret.” Mark eyed him up and down. “Like that horse hadn’t already bolted from the stable a paragraph or six back.” 0 likes