Start by marking “The Transmogrification of Roscoe Wizzle” as Want to Read:
The Transmogrification of Roscoe Wizzle

The Transmogrification of Roscoe Wizzle

3.33  ·  Rating details ·  89 Ratings  ·  19 Reviews
Roscoe Wizzle was a normal ten-year-old kid before a sign reading "Coming Soon! Gussy's!" sprang up in a vacant lot. The sign showed a big picture of Gussy Gorilla eating a Jungle Drum--just about the biggest hamburger in the world. Roscoe Wizzle, hamburger fan, was a normal kid all right--until he started to turn into a bug. Unabridged.
Audio Cassette, 0 pages
Published May 29th 2001 by Listening Library (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about The Transmogrification of Roscoe Wizzle, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Transmogrification of Roscoe Wizzle

Rebecca McNutt
This book had some strangely captivating ideas, but it didn't seem to have a clear plot or make any sense even at the best of times.
Lora
Mar 30, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s-lit
Elliott tells this story through Roscoe’s point of view. It’s each unique character’s personality and the way Roscoe describes his surrounding that make this book interesting. Unlike other humorous stories meant for children; this book is filled with much more dry humor and sarcasm. Younger children might not always understand the humor on the page, but will definitely find the overarching plot of Roscoe’s transmogrification very funny. Incorporating fantasy into the plotline also adds to the hu ...more
Michelle. D.
This book was unique. I'm sure that the idea of the book was never done before which is great, but it wasn't amazing. It was just fr enjoyment. I read it for school, which is good if you are reading the book for an assignment, but I wouldn't read it if I didn't have to. The events are clear and the writing is simple. This book would be good for like a 2nd grader but not for a 3rd grader. I just think that for some reason. I guess that book just made me feel that way. I read this in grade 4 so I ...more
Talia Smart
In The Transmogrification of Roscoe Wizzle, a very matter-of-fact boy with an orphan mother and nerves-shot father begins to transform into a bug. He and his super smart best friend Kinchy decide to solve the mystery of both Roscoe's and other kids' transformations and subsequent disappearances. The pair encounter a old woman (aka a jujitsu-practicing gorilla mascot), a paranoid and butterfly-net wielding henchman, and maybe even a link to Roscoe's family history.

This book is ultra-bizarre but h
Debnance
Jan 21, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another Christmas book (probably another purchased for one cent!) led me to acquire this children’s book from the library last week. Roscoe Wizzle leads a quiet life; his father needs quiet after a day testing cymbals and his mother needs quiet because she is an orphan. Supper preparation becomes too much for the parents, leading them to send young Roscoe down to the new fast food Gussy’s each night for dinner. After six months of eating Jungle Drums (a semi-hamburger) for dinner each night, Ros ...more
Natalie
Quirky book that I picked up based on the title reference to The Transmigration of Timothy Archer.

The first chapters are the strongest, with quite a few great jokes.. but I started to lose interest towards the middle. .. nevertheless, I can see a goofy 9 year old getting into it.
Kate Hastings
Dec 04, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Grades 2-4
RL940. A young science fiction book about a fast food restaurant that turns kids into bugs with tainted burgers. Probably good for discussions about eating habits and hazardous waste/environmental issues.

The only downfall of the book is that I felt the characters were rather flat. I never bonded with any of them or felt invested in the story. A short read that will likely appeal to Pinkwater and Scieszka fans.
Cornmaven
Dec 19, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: juvenile
This is a really cute book. The reviews say it's like Kafka's Metamorphosis and Roald Dahl together, and I agree. It's just a fun book, and like the author intended, all's well at the end. Boys will like it, and I think a kid who doesn't normally like to read would like it well enough to stick with it.
Laura (booksnob)
Feb 27, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult, 2010
A really fun easy read that I think reluctant readers or boys might really enjoy. It is about a 10 year old boy named Roscoe who begins to tranmogrify into a bug. What ensues is a fun, yet thought provoking story. I encourage you to read it along with your child to talk about some of the themes in the book, like fast food or environmentalism.
Tami
Mar 26, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition

It's at times a fun, light-hearted read broken up by moments of boredom. It doesn't quite achieve either a parody or a re-telling of Kafka's METAMORPHOSIS. Willie's character is not clear. Many characters' motivations are ambiguous or just plain confusing. Although an easy read, I was disappointed in it because there is an underlying structure that could haave been so much more.
41984
David Elliott is the author of THE COOL CRAZY CRICKETS and THE TRANSMOGRIFICATION OF ROSCOE WIZZLE. He says of AND HERE'S TO YOU!, "My neighbor’s rooster and I were having a disagreement. I wanted to sleep in the morning; he wanted to crow. The rooster won, of course. The first verse of AND HERE'S TO YOU! is a tribute to his victory and to the joys found in simply following your nature."
More about David Elliott...