Start by marking “The Summer of Us” as Want to Read:
The Summer of Us

The Summer of Us

(Mission Cove #1)

She was the light in my dark life. The sunshine that warmed me and made me smile.

We had one summer. One perfect summer, until the day it ended.

Years later, she walked back into my life. Older. Sadder. More beautiful than ever.

How can I prove to her that summer was real?

How do I make her see the boy who loved her then, still loves her now?

How do we get back to the summer
ebook
Published April 30th 2020 by Moreland Books Inc

To ask other readers questions about The Summer of Us, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Summer of Us

Start your review of The Summer of Us
Carol [Goodreads Addict]
The Summer of Us is book one in the Mission Cove series by Melanie Moreland. This was previously released as a short story in the One Hot Summer anthology. Now with added content, it is a full length novel and true to the magic of Melanie Moreland, it has an amazing epilogue that if you weren’t already filled with warm and fuzzies, then you definitely will be.

the summer of us melanie moreland - Google Search

Linc Thomas and Sunny Jenson have been best friends since they were in kindergarten and shared their crayons. But their lives couldn’t be
My Own Bookshelves
To put it into words why Melanie is a 1-click author for me is in the diversity of tropes and themes in her catalog. She has something for everyone's tastes - romantic suspense, comedy, insta-love, single parent, etc. And now she adds second chance romance.

For those who follow, next to insta-love, second-chance is my favorite theme. The chance for a do-over. Something that all of us have been in a position hoping for that kindness from the fates.

In Part 1, the readers met Linc and Sunny. Wildl
Athena D.
Apr 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ 5 STARS

This book is heartwarming and such a captivating story. From a young love that's hidden to a journey at a second chance at love. Linc and Sunny’s is a love story that is definitely Hallmark Movie worthy!!! The Summer of Us by Melanie Moreland is an EPIC second chance romance that will join the ranks of the BIBLIO-ARISTOCRACY!!!
Barbara Fogarty
Apr 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Once again, Melanie Moreland had my attention from the first word to the very last word
of the fantastic epilogue!
I was captivated by Linc and Sunny, though I truly wasn't sure they
would be able to overcome all of the obstacles thrown at them. From an
overbearing father to present day choices.

Just enough angst, romance and plenty of heat!
Thank you, Melanie!
Readers, you can't go wrong with this HEA!
Nicki - The Overflowing Bookcase
With an overbearing father and his future already planned out for him, Linc hides the fact that he is in love with Sunny as his father does not approve. When they both find themselves working at the same summer camp their romance blooms. But Linc's dad is onto their secret and whisks Linc away - never to have contact with Sunny again. Will Linc be able to win her heart again after being away for ten years? Or will Summer always connect him with his hateful father and walk away for good? This sto ...more
Cee Cee Houston
Apr 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I read the shorter version The Summer Of Us by Melanie Moreland when it appeared in an anthology last year. I wanted a bigger story for this sweet, young couple and Melanie has delivered as she always does.
Lincoln and Sunny had known each other since they were kids. They fell in love at fifteen, but Linc’s father (a boorish, hateful man) forbid their romance. When Linc ignored him, he was horribly punished.
Now ten years later, they’re both back in Mission Cove. Sunny has her own bakery and Linc
M L
Apr 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Well....Melanie has done it again! She writes the perfect story and always weaves the perfect character into it...Linc!! I mean how could you not love him??? Money isn’t everything. Linc learned that the hard way. Sometimes you can have what seems like everything in life only to realize that you actually have nothing. When Linc met Sunny, at a tender young age, he realized that what she had was what he needed in life...a pure heart, a sweet smile and love, lots of unconditional love. Sunny and L ...more
Rebecca
Another awesome book

Long and Sunny's story has a lot of his and downs. This is a second chance romance that once again tugs at your heart. You feel for the characters and you will end up loving them too.
Janet Taggart Baldwin
Mar 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Sunny and Linc were best friends since kindergarten when he shared his crayons with her. During their teen years they became boyfriend/girlfriend but had to keep it hidden because of Linc's father. Linc's family had money and with Sunny coming from normal working stock, his father deemed her not worthy of his son.

They managed to have a summer together when Linc's father sends him to work at the summer camp. He had no idea that Sunny had taken a job there for the summer, so they were over the mo
Thuy Taylor
Apr 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Linc and Sunny. I can't help but to smile about these two when I think of them. The book is a divided into 2 sections, years apart. I read part 1 in an anthology last year and couldn't wait to finish out their story.

The Summer of Us by Melanie Moreland really will tug at your heartstrings. The young love that Linc and Sunny have with each other is so sweet and so one of a kind. I adored them so much. Linc doesn't really have a loving life at home. He is surrounded by what money can provide but n
READ ME ROMANCE
Shelves: finished
The Summer of Us reads exactly as it sounds. Dreamy. Melanie writes the sweetest insta-spark love stories and Linc and Sunny were each other’s first loves, first everything. They loved each other unconditionally and made it despite all the odds against them. Mainly his cruel, manipulative, and abusive father who did not approve of his relationship with a girl who didn’t posses the social skills and financial wealth he felt were important.

The parts of the book where Linc was being abused as a yo
Rachael Cain
Apr 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The Summer Of Us was phenomenal.

Melanie dives you into Sunny's and Linc's world from the very beginning. You can immerse into their childhood. You see the paths they take and how it molds them into the adults they become.
Their love for each other is always simmering below the surface. You can feel how their love touches the very depth of their souls. It makes you want to strive for their all consuming love and devotion.

Truly awe inspiring love.
it.sgottabethebooks
Apr 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The Summer of Us by Melanie Moreland will have you feeling the warm fuzzies. The book is broken up in two parts. The beginning is of Linc and Summer’s young love then fast forward to Part 2 which is their journey to finding love a second time around. If you are looking for a sweet, heartfelt, second chance love story then this is one you shouldn’t miss. 5 plus stars for this wonderfully penned romance. Linc and Summer’s true love with have you all up in the feels.
Karrie
Apr 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
What can I say? Well I stayed up all night to read about Linc and Sunny. I can say that. Teenagers in love until they weren't no more. One day ten years later Linc was in for a surprise when he came across Sunny in her very own bakery in the town they grew up in. Needless to say the sparks were still there, but they had a lot to work through. They had a few rough patches, but they perservered. This was more then just a summer of them, it's a forever of Sunny and Linc. ...more
Cathy
Apr 27, 2020 rated it really liked it
This is an expansion of the short story in One Hot Summer which fulfils your need for more of the Lincoln and Sunny Story.

Linc and Sunny had a secret relationship in their youth that was derailed by Linc's overbearing and powerful father who had his own plans. This looks more into the second chance at that relationship as they are brought back together 10 years later. Lincoln has grown up, the balance of power has changed and he knows what he wants. Sunny has built up her own strength and inner
Jessica Lezama a
Apr 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I read this one as part of an anthology and loved it. It was sweet nad fast to read. But when I love a story I always want more, so now, I got more. Not in a million os scenarios thought what their Sunny and Linc's lives would be. After all the years they spent apart, they were different but deep down their love and the summer they spent together was there and because of those feelings they were willing to explore if there was more.
This is what I needed to know about how they got strong at the
Hanne
May 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The Summer of Us was first a novella in an anthology. I remember wanting more, but only because I liked Sunny and Lincoln’s story so much. This full length novel was a wonderful read. I have gotten more about Sunny and Lincoln and it was everything I hoped it would be. I met some awesome secondary characters, so I’m excited that The Summer of Us is only the first book in a new series by the author.

Lincoln and Sunny are lovable characters. Sunny is kind hearted, loyal, caring, talented and hardwo
Jackie Wright
Apr 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
If you are looking for a great second chance romance look no further than The Summer of Us because this book is one of the best I have read in that genre. This book ticked all my boxes, it has all the feels you want and expect in a great read, it will make you smile and it will certainly pull on your heartstrings as well as having you fall for the adorable characters.
Linc and Sunny have a history, as teenagers they were lovers but it wasn’t their time fate had other plans for them so will the ti
lazybookconqueror
3.5 Stars.

This book tells the story of Linc Thomas and Sunny Jenson, two childhood sweethearts and best friends that fall for each other and have an amazing summer working together in a camp close to Mission Cove.

I LOVE childhood sweetheart stories, and the first half of this book does not disappoint. Their relationship was so sweet. However, Linc's father is your typical hateful villain: he's rich, entitled, beats his kid, has an allergy to anyone less fortunate and is an all-around terrible pe
When I first met Linc and Sunny in the novella contribution to the One Hot Summer anthology, I hoped like crazy that they would get a full length book.

This book has a lot of angst before and after Linc and Sunny's summer together. Even with all of the angst, there's so much growth that these characters experienced over their 10 years apart. I loved meeting the new people in their lives and seeing how much they changed over Linc and Sunny's lives.

I can't wait to visit Mission Cove again and see
Peggy Copeland
Apr 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Such a great story. Every book of Ms Moreland's makes me want MORE! And this book is MORE of Sunny and Linc that I needed. Great story! Linc and Sunny's story was a story that took a hold of your heart and never looked back! ...more
MELISSA *Mel Reader*
Apr 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arcs
4 Stars!
(ARC provided by author)

photo 43A34154-3807-4055-A984-BAB4CE114CA5_zpse0q9zhct.jpg

Lincoln Thomas grew up in the small tourist town of Mission Cove where his wealthy, controlling father owned and ruled just about everything. He was counting the days until he would get his trust fund, and get as far away as possible. The only bright spot in his life was Sunny Jenson. They’d been best friends since grade school, and he’d liked her for as long as he could remember. As they got older their relationship turned into so much more. She was the light
Tracey
Apr 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Let me say that Melanie writes epilogues like no one else! I love this author's writing style and The Summer of Us is no exception. Sunny & Linc's tumultuous, heartbreaking love story will grab you by the throat the minute you start reading this book and will never let you go. The anticipation and hope rolls off the pages which is a telltale sign of Melanie's writing -- she always makes me feel grateful and thankful after reading her books -- refreshed and renewed and oh so ready for whatever sh ...more
Josephine
Apr 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
ooooh Sunny & Linc and all the feels. I feel like I was transported back to high school. The summers, the tans and the kisses. A second chance at love, great characters and amazing words that transports you to all the places. Melanie knocks it out of the park again! It has a great epi too!
Denise
Apr 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I never read the initial version of this story that appeared in an anthology, so this was my first introduction to Linc and Sunny. It was wonderful to read about the progression of their relationship from kindergarten friends to teenaged sweethearts. Vicious evil tears them apart with cruel zeal and unmatched enthusiasm for the pain caused.

A decade later, they come across one another again and Linc is determined that he is going to show Sunny that “… the boy who loved her then, was the man who l
Sue Dayoub
Apr 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A beautiful second chance

Linc and Sunny’s story spans ten years, the first part young love that’s torn apart by Linc’s rich but abusive father.
As Linc makes his own money he tries to undo the wrongs his father has done eventually ruining his father, after his father passes he finally returns home to finish erases the ghosts of his father he’s surprised to find Sunny is back in town. While taking care of business and trying to get Sunny to forgive the 10 years he’s been gone, Sunny tries to make
Dora Koutsoukou
3 💞☀️💞🌟s

Linc and Sunny were a sweet and beautiful couple❣️
Their relationship went through hard times but it had strong foundations and they managed to find their amazing HEA.

Despite the fine writing, the story was too sweet and pleasant, and the development of the main characters’ relationship felt flat and tiresome.
The fabulous epilogue couldn’t save the whole story though...
Dawn Strickland
Apr 29, 2020 rated it really liked it
A Summer and a Lifetime

Linc and Sunny's story is an emotional read with low angst and soul deep love. I was immediately enamoured with Linc and Sunny's connection. Their relationship felt innocent, yet arousing. I was swept up in young love and felt every moment of joy, heartache, and hope.

When they were suddenly ripped apart, my heart felt ripped in half. So much like Sunny and Linc themselves felt. They both struggled with their heartbreak. Sunny mourned and then learned to put on a brave fa
 Leo (Queen of the Rants and Spoilers)
Why is it that authors always play with the heroine’s sympathy? The heroine sees something that she takes the wrong way and hero proceeds to tell her the OW’s life story so the heroine can feel sorry for her and ends up feeling bad for making an assumption.

I felt that hero gave the heroine an ultimatum, the words weren’t said but the threat hanged between these words.
“I want you in my life, Sunny. I want to explore this with you. To see if we can get past what happened and have a future with ea
Elizabeth
May 01, 2020 marked it as nope-nope-nope  ·  review of another edition
Ten year celibate heroine 🙄
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• That Man Trilogy (That Man, #1-3)
  • The End of Hatred (Etherya's Earth, #1)
  • Bad Boys Don't Make Good Boyfriends (Life Lessons #2)
  • Temptation (The Hunted, #1)
  • Highland Moon #4
  • Highland Moon #3
  • Highland Moon #1
  • Take Me to Bed: A Collection of Naughty Bedtime Stories
  • Lost Ones (Bad Idea #2)
  • Indiscreet (The Discreet Duet Book 2)
  • Driving Me Crazy
  • White Out (A Bachelor Mountain Short Story)
  • Creeping Beautiful (Creeping Beautiful, #1)
  • XOXO I Love You (I Love You, #1)
  • The V Card
  • XOXX I Love You More (I Love You, #2)
  • Turbulence (Turbulence, #1)
  • Legacy of Lies (Empire of Lies, #3)
Welcome Romance Readers!
Join my newsletter for news on upcoming releases and sales CLICK HERE

Make sure to follow me on Amazon for new release alerts CLICK HERE

Join me on Facebook in my reader group CLICK HERE

Check out my excerpts on Book+Main CLICK HERE

A bit about me:
NYT/WSJ/USAT International bestselling author Melanie Moreland, lives a happy and content life in a quiet area of Ont