Start by marking “The Case of the Drowned Pearl: A Murder Most Unladylike Mini-Mystery: World Book Day 2020” as Want to Read:

(Murder Most Unladylike Mystery #8.5)

A thrilling mini Murder Most Unladylike mystery, specially written and published for World Book Day 2020.

Daisy Wells and Hazel Wong are best friends, schoolgirls - and detectives. And wherever they go, mysteries will find them...

While on a seaside holiday with their friends George and Alexander, the Detective Society discover the body of famous swimmer Antonia
Published March 5th 2020 by Puffin (first published February 20th 2020)

To ask other readers questions about The Case of the Drowned Pearl, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Case of the Drowned Pearl

Start your review of The Case of the Drowned Pearl: A Murder Most Unladylike Mini-Mystery: World Book Day 2020
Emma Rose Ribbons
Mar 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A very lovely short story just before the last ever (sobbing right now) book in the series comes out. I loved this.

Things I really enjoyed:

- Robin Steven's description of what the British expect a swim in the sea to be like is hilarious.
- Hazel and Daisy telling each other they're best friends and they wouldn't believe it if someone told them the other was dead.
- The victim is a female athlete, a swimmer who could have won the Olympics. Great touch, and a great loss (Hazel realises that).
Cho
Feb 29, 2020 rated it liked it
As always, very enjoyable, but I think this suffered a bit from its length. As it's a publication for book day, it's very short, and the case, especially with its interesting solution, could have profited from being longer.
Rebekka Hindbo
Mar 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
I love World Book Day books! Such a lovely way to find new authors. Definitely want to read more books about Daisy and Hazel.
Abigail
Feb 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This was amazing! In only 96 pages, I was introduced to all the characters, given loads of clues from both the murder scene and the dead body. Yet there was still a plot twist that was unexpected!
As always the characters were well thought out. Daisy was being Daisy, Hazel still shy but super smart and George and Alexander helping out with useful ideas. I can't believe the next book in this series will be the last but it will definitely be the best!
(Don't worry I'm not reading the books out of
Sadie Slater
Mar 18, 2020 rated it liked it
The Case of the Drowned Pearl is one of the novella-length "mini mysteries" in Robin Stevens's Wells and Wong series. This one sees Hazel and Daisy, along with George and Alexander, the Junior Pinkertons, finding the body of famous swimmer Antonia Braithwaite on the beach on the first morning of their seaside holiday. It's an entertaining if fairly slight story, and althought the mini mysteries don't have space for the examination of wider issues the full-length novels do I liked the way the ...more
Joy
Mar 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A fun mystery and great character depictions. I really enjoyed hearing Hazel and Daisy's voices in turn. The book also had some great descriptions of the English seaside in the rain.
Claire
Mar 12, 2020 rated it really liked it
A fun little read.
Andrew
Mar 04, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
Tiny Write-up taken from The Pewter Wolf

HAPPY BELATED WORLD BOOK DAY!!! How are we all doing? Recovering from our book hangovers?

Im still, at the time of writing this, reading my current BEAST of a book (dont ask, its LONG so am audiobooking like heck at the moment), but I wanted to do a tiny write-up of The Case of the Drowned Pearl, a mini-mystery written especially for World Book Day 2020 (plus, this will tie fans over till the final book in the series is finally published later this year)!

Ronnie
Mar 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
On World Book Day Robin Stevens brings us a short Detective Society story at the seaside. When a famous swimmer shows up dead on the beach smelling of soap, the Detective Society must team up with the Junior Pinkertons to solve the murder and get back to their summer holiday.
I really enjoyed just setting aside a short amount of time to just sit down and read The Case Of The Drowned Pearl in one go. It was a nice, short, easy read and it was great getting to see a murder investigated from a new
Caryn Smith
Mar 22, 2020 rated it it was ok
First one of these I've read. I bought it with the hope it may be good for my teenager but really didn't warm to one of the main characters, who told half the story. Won't be reading more because of that. The story itself, however, was interesting and easy to read, but very easy to solve the mystery. I'm not the person this book was aimed at though, I can see a 10 year old reluctant reader finding this fun.
Prudence and the Crow
Mar 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
If you've spent any time near me in the last few years you'll have heard me enthuse about Robin Stevens' Wells and Wong books, and this little World Book Day gem is a welcome addition to the Detective Society Case Library. Stevens doesn't let brevity jeopardise character, connection or content, and it makes for a very neat, digestible and believable holiday diary for my best Hazel and Daisy.
Liam
Mar 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
The penultimate Murder Most Unladylike is a fun mini mystery. Very interesting to see a story told from both girls' perspectives for once, and a satisfying mystery that I solved quite early for once.

🕵♀🕵♀🕵♀🕵♀
Sara Coleman
Mar 06, 2020 rated it liked it
Great World Book Day fun!
Lior Alexandre
Mar 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
A good twist for so short a book!
Alice Nuttall
Mar 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Another excellent installment in the Wells and Wong series, with a thoroughly Christie-ish twist at the end.
Shawne
Mar 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
Lots of fun, with all the hallmarks of a good Wells and Wong mystery packed into a slim volume for World Book Day. Loved how economically Robin Stevens introduced us to all the characters surrounding Olympics hopeful Anthonia Braithwaite, before pulling off a twist quite remarkable considering the length (or lack thereof) of the book! 3.5 stars

Looking forward to the final book in the MMU series later this year.
Mar 21, 2020 rated it really liked it
I read this because i have a customer at work who devours these books and I wanted to see why. Smart and intelligent childrens book. ...more
Smiley
Apr 04, 2020 rated it liked it
Finished it one morning :)
Wish it is longer...
Helen
Apr 01, 2020 rated it liked it
To be honest I wasn't expecting much as it's a very small book and the first few pages are very simply written. But the story romps along very nicely and is a very pleasant short read.
Esther
Mar 05, 2020 rated it it was ok
A bit of a disappointment as the mystery was over incredibly quickly, there wasn't very much detail and the murderer was very obvious.
Emma
Mar 19, 2020 rated it it was ok
Couldn't finish it. No idea why I bothered to try to read it. I love Robin Stevens as a person and how she advocates for different people in real life, but I find her books so dull.
Mia
Mar 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
a great quick read for world book day!
Sophie
Mar 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
My goodness, Im going to miss these girls. ...more
Curtis Grove
Feb 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
An entire murder mystery (with a plot twist) in only 75 pages!

Obviously it was a very quick, light read, but I enjoyed it nonetheless. If you enjoy the Murder Most Unladylike series, youll definitely enjoy this.

My only complaints are the strange size (it is taller than the other mini mystery but shorter than the regular books) and the fact that the cover material is different to the other books in the series, but these are minor complaints. The actual story itself was well written, paced well
Verity W
Feb 24, 2020 rated it really liked it
Short but good mini mystery for world book day. I enjoyed this - Hazel and Daisy's contrasting expectations of the seaside is as fun as the dectective work. It's always nice to get some Daisy persepective as well as Hazel too.
Hannah Brown
Feb 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Hazel and Daisy are back in a new adventure! I thoroughly enjoyed this, as I always do with Wells & Wong mysteries. The Detective Society are edging closer to WWII, and even though the next novel is their last (WAAAAAHHHH ☹☹☹) Im so intrigued as to what Stevens will bring to this world. The plot twist was really good, and I got the murderer before Daisy Wells! Yay me!
If you have a book token, or a £1 to spare, definitely pick up this short story!
Polly Tinline
Feb 28, 2020
Georgia
Feb 29, 2020
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• Top Marks for Murder (Murder Most Unladylike Mysteries, #8)
  • The Day We Met The Queen: World Book Day 2020
  • The Case of the Missing Treasure (Murder Most Unladylike Mysteries, #6.5)
  • Cream Buns and Crime: A Murder Most Unladylike Collection, #0.5, 3.5, 4.5 (Murder Most Unladylike Mysteries, #0.5, 3.5, 4.5)
  • Death in the Spotlight (Murder Most Unladylike Mysteries, #7)
  • Amelia Fang and the Bookworm Gang - World Book Day 2020
  • The Binding
  • A Spoonful of Murder (Murder Most Unladylike Mysteries, #6)
  • Jolly Foul Play (Murder Most Unladylike Mysteries, #4)
  • The Thing Around Your Neck
  • The Salt Path
  • Alex Rider Undercover
  • Mistletoe and Murder (Murder Most Unladylike Mysteries, #5)
  • A Sprinkle of Sorcery (A Pinch of Magic, #2)
  • The Kissing Booth: Road Trip!: World Book Day 2020
  • Arsenic for Tea (Murder Most Unladylike Mysteries, #2)
  • The Case of the Deepdean Vampire (Murder Most Unladylike Mysteries, #4.5)
  • The Sun Sister (The Seven Sisters, #6)

Murder Most Unladylike Mystery (9 books)
  • Murder Most Unladylike: A Wells & Wong Mystery (Murder Most Unladylike Mystery, #1)
  • Arsenic for Tea (Murder Most Unladylike Mysteries, #2)
  • First Class Murder (Murder Most Unladylike Mysteries, #3)
  • Jolly Foul Play (Murder Most Unladylike Mysteries, #4)
  • Mistletoe and Murder (Murder Most Unladylike Mysteries, #5)
  • A Spoonful of Murder (Murder Most Unladylike Mysteries, #6)
  • Death in the Spotlight (Murder Most Unladylike Mysteries, #7)
  • Top Marks for Murder (Murder Most Unladylike Mysteries, #8)
  • Murder Most Unladylike Book 9