Start by marking “Layla” as Want to Read:
Layla

Layla

3.86  ·  Rating details ·  42,262 ratings  ·  5,726 reviews
From #1 New York Times bestselling author Colleen Hoover comes a novel that explores life after tragedy and the enduring spirit of love.

When Leeds meets Layla, he’s convinced he’ll spend the rest of his life with her—until an unexpected attack leaves Layla fighting for her life. After weeks in the hospital, Layla recovers physically, but the emotional and mental scarring h
Kindle Edition, 1st edition, 301 pages
Published December 8th 2020 by Montlake

To ask other readers questions about Layla, please sign up.
Veronica Ok so I read it now and to answer my own question; Yes it is spooky/scary but only up to the first half of the book, after its fine! Verity was waaaay…moreOk so I read it now and to answer my own question; Yes it is spooky/scary but only up to the first half of the book, after its fine! Verity was waaaay creepier IMO. (less)
Michele Saqui I LOVE Verity but this one is soooo special! I never hated a character so much then changed my mind like I did in this book. Colleen knows how to mani…moreI LOVE Verity but this one is soooo special! I never hated a character so much then changed my mind like I did in this book. Colleen knows how to manipulate our feelings thru writing like no other writer. Love her for that.(less)

·  42,262 ratings  ·  5,726 reviews

Start your review of Layla
Meredith ( on Semi-Hiatus until February)
I love CoHo, but this one didn't do it for me.

Leeds meets Layla and falls head over heels. After suffering a brain injury, Layla is not herself. Leeds meets Willow, a mysterious woman who can't remember her past. Leeds falls for Willow. He must make a choice between the woman he once loved or the woman he now loves.

Told from Leeds's perspective, I found him to be a self-absorbed a*sshole. I didn't feel like I ever really knew Layla. Willow, well, she was just kind of there. The characters were
Chelsea Humphrey
SSBC pick for December 2020!

"For Beckham. When I die, you'll be the first person I haunt. You are so much fun to scare."

Am I the only person who lives for finding out the dedication in each Colleen Hoover book? No? Just me? Ok, let me start again.

"The supernatural is the natural not yet understood." -Elbert Hubbard

Finally! A PNR from CoHo, something I've been desperately hoping for and eagerly anticipating since she announced it forever ago, and if you're the type of person who isn't really into
jessica
Jul 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
UPDATE: holy crap you guys. i just got an email from the publishers letting me know i will be getting a new ARC with an epilogue! i dont want to say im the reason for it, but i definitely feel like my wishes manifested it into the world. and its so, so good. so y'all are welcome. lol.
________________________

i am so here for CoHo branching out beyond her traditional contemporary romance stories. it just proves she can write human emotions so aptly, no matter the situation.

this story is a ro
Nilufer Ozmekik
Dec 08, 2020 rated it liked it
Okay! I am feeling like somebody pulled out my whole brain cells with tweezers and filled my head with rocks! When you google “dumb” word , you see my photo as salivas dripping down from my mouth, giving dumbfounded looks to the camera will appear on your screen! Because this is how I’m feeling after three long hours later I’ve finished Layla or let’s make a correction: the book literally finished me!

As soon as I started, I tried to go blind, not to relate with complex reviews which are somewh
Gabby
All I could think after finishing this book is what the fuck did I just read? but like in a good way I think? This is unlike anything I’ve ever read before and it’s pretty bizarre and strange and I don’t think I’d necessarily recommend this to everyone... but I was very highly entertained by this. And my mind was blown many times. I know this book will probably get a lot of comparison to Verity, but this book is nothing like Verity, it’s a completely different monster. This is Colleen’s
Kim ~ It’s All About the Thrill
Hands down one of the best books I have read in a very long time! Where is the 10 star button Goodreads?? Give it to me now!!

You know that book that you open up and you instantly feel a connection to? The one that even if you put it down, you can't stop thinking of? That you carry around everywhere with you? THIS is that book for me! I have been in a bit of a book funk, taking at least a week to read a book...this was less than a day...I seriously didn't want it to end.

I went through so many emo
Arini ~ Miss Casually Reading
The first 70% had my sense of loyalty warring with my guilt (👎), and the remaining 30% had me feeling all sorts of mushy (👍).

“The only thing Layla did wrong is fall in love with me.”

Typically in a normal romance, it’s the other way around—y’know, when you’d lower the rating because something you didn’t like happen somewhere in the last 1/3 of the book. This is not your avarage romance. It’s . . . peculiar. There are creepy elements, but it’s not scary. It’s compelling and emotional, which ba
Yun
Feb 09, 2021 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Whenever I see Colleen Hoover put out a book that crosses genres, I'm always salivating to get my hands on it, in the hopes that it would be a repeat of the absolutely gem that was Verity. But it's not long into Layla when it becomes apparent that this story would be bogged down by a problematic narrative, and nothing would save it.

When Leeds meets Layla, he knew immediately that she's the one. But soon into their relationship, Layla is attacked, leaving her with mental and physical scars. Leeds
Christy
Oct 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2020-four-stars
4 stars

BD732E49_819B_462A_9F43_CC2EC4C8F19E_IMG_8925
She’s the victim now, even though she’s unaware of it. The only thing Layla did wrong is fall in love with me.

Layla is the perfect creepy read for readers like me. I don't want anything too scary, but this is just spooky enough- especially great for fall.

Leeds and Layla meet at a wedding and they're smitten with each other from the start. They develop a strong connection and bond. Something happens that turns their lives upside down and their relationship hasn't quite be
~Poppy~
Jan 19, 2021 rated it liked it
3.5 Stars
Susanne  Strong
Jul 02, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
Well that was Different! A Fresh, Wholly Intriguing Storyline unlike any that I’ve EVER Read!

Way to change it up CoHo! Thank you for continuing to push the envelope.

So what is this about? A musician named Leeds and a woman named “Layla” (no, not that Layla, though I can’t get the Eric Clapton song out of my head and I’m not sorry about it!).

All I can say is that this is NOT what you think it is.

Interesting, intriguing and well, strange, it kept my attention throughout. At times, admittedly, I
Farrah
Jan 08, 2021 rated it liked it
2.5 ⭐ rounded up because the ending saved it a little.

The GOOD
- I love that Hoover blends genres and I appreciate the uniqueness of this book. I'm sure I've never read anything like it and the way she thinks outside the box is awesome.
- the overall message of the story.

The BAD
- I couldn't take the plot seriously so I never really felt interested or invested it what was happening.
- too many bland, flat sentences that repeated themselves.
'𝙄 𝙬𝙤𝙠𝙚 𝙪𝙥 𝙙𝙚𝙩𝙚𝙧𝙢𝙞𝙣𝙚𝙙 𝙩𝙤 𝙜𝙞𝙫𝙚 𝙇𝙖𝙮𝙡𝙖 𝙖𝙡𝙡 𝙢𝙮 𝙛𝙤𝙘𝙪𝙨 𝙩𝙤𝙙𝙖𝙮.
Jayme
3.5 ⭐️

Colleen Hoover states in her author biography that she does not like to be boxed into one genre.

Although she writes romance, she likes to explore the others too.

When I heard she was writing her first thriller last year, (Verity) I picked up my first CoHo book, and I was riveted to every page! (although I did skim through the x rated sex scenes)

This too, bends genres, but the synopsis doesn’t tell you that.

And, I never tell MORE than the synopsis as I don’t want to SPOIL anything for an
Mali Mor ❤️ The Romantic Blogger
Pixaloop-10-12-2020-11-25-30-7490000
3.5 STARS

Leeds and Layla met at a Bed & Breakfast - she was a guest at her sister's wedding, he was in the band that played at the event - and they connected immediately. 😍
She may be a hot-mess, full of energy and a little weird, but that's why she got his attention. He never met anyone like her and was sure he’ll spend the rest of his life with her. So from a hot weekend together, they started a serious relationship. Until the accident that changed everything.......... 💥💥💥

📚 "𝐒𝐡𝐞'𝐬 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐯𝐢𝐜𝐭𝐢
Jessica | JustReadingJess
Oct 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
I don’t even know where to begin with my thoughts and feelings about Layla. I loved Layla so much. There wasn't anything I didn't like about this book. Layla was such a unique mix of romance, thriller and paranormal romance.

The story was so interesting. Instant love followed by a life changing event. Will Leeds and Layla become closer or farther apart from staying at the bed and breakfast?

I don’t read a lot of paranormal romance, but Layla has convinced me I need to read more.

I highly recommend
Camilla
Jul 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arcs
This creeped me out. And then it proceeded to blow my mind.

This is nothing like Colleen Hoover's previous works. And in such a good way, because it just shows how gifted this author is (trust me, I've read 19 of her books).

Layla is just this girl at her sister's wedding, where Leeds's band is playing. They meet and instantly fall in love. We know that from "The Interview" chapters, where Leeds is describing everything that happened between him and Layla to a mysterious man.

I went into this boo
Lindsay - Traveling Sisters Book Reviews
2 stars. Not the right book for me.

Paranormal and romance both aren’t my thing so it’s no surprise this didn’t work for me. I wanted to give it a shot because I’ve been seeing some fantastic reviews and I wanted to try something different but unfortunately this was not a good reading experience.

I never truly felt a connection to any of the characters, setting or storyline. I wasn’t “bought in” to what was happening and felt that the “twists” were predictable and obvious.

I have read and enjoyed o
NZLisaM
Dec 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
WTF did I just read?

Hmmm… now that I've finished, I'm not even sure what genre to categorise Layla as? I would've said psychological thriller until the last 20%. And, Leeds made me too uncomfortable to view him as any type of romantic leading man, so not a romance either? And saying he made me uncomfortable isn’t a spoiler as the first sentence will likely make you feel the same way. And if that's not enough to convince you that Leeds is a creep and a weirdo then the fact that he was utterly con
Michelle
Aug 28, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley-arcs
If anyone had told me on Wednesday that I was going to pick up a paranormal romance book and enjoy it - well, I would have laughed right in your face. Yet, here I am, having just turned the last page to Colleen Hoovers latest, Layla, with such a big smile on my face. I loved this.

I really don't want to discuss the plot. At all. Beware reading any reviews in fear of spoilers. I would have been pissed if someone had ruined this for me.

This is only my second CoHo book but I sure do see why so man
Sheyla ✎
Well, I'm going to be an outlier with this one. I didn't like Layla. Not because of Layla but because of Leeds.

Do I like Paranormal stories? Yes.

Do I like Romances? Yes, I do.

Do I like douchy boyfriends? A resounding NO!

Pinpoint my major problem with Layla? LEEDS.

He was condescending. He was making decisions without consulting his girlfriend (who doesn't ask his girlfriend before deciding to buy a home?). He abused his girlfriend's trust in him. He let Willow do whatever she wanted without tak
4.5/ 5 stars

There are very few authors that I would drop everything to read their new release. But Colleen Hoover is one of them. Everything that she writes is amazing. And I was so excited to read Layla.

To say that Layla was my most anticipated read of 2020 would be an understatement.

This book is not typical Coho. I like that the author is constantly trying new things. But this book is very different from her previous books. Layla is Colleen Hoover's first paranormal romance.

The narrator is mus
Regina
Jan 05, 2021 rated it it was ok
Me immediately after finishing Layla: Another fantastic page-turner by Colleen Hoover! Binge reading at its best!

Me five minutes later: Waaaaaiiiiiittttt a minute…

The sub-4-star rating should have been a tip off. If a CoHo book isn’t hovering at 4.25 or above on GR, something is amiss. So what’s amiss in Layla? Its main character is THE ABSOLUTE WORST P.O.S. I’VE COME ACROSS IN A BOOK IN YEARS.

The story is told from the perspective of the male “protagonist” (more like contagonist, hey-O!) named
Shabby  -BookBistroBlog
Dec 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Addictive. Imaginative. Sexy
It's fascinating, Unputdownable read that leaves you spellbound with every chapter and you cannot turn the pages fast enough to try and find the next clue to this mystery.
Do you classify it as a love triangle?, a second chance romance?, a supernatural thriller?
Whatever box you try put it in, it just bulges out, encompassing ALL the elements and ALL the emotions that go with it.

"It’s the worst catch-22 imaginable. I can’t break up with the girl I’m falling out of
booksbytheboats
Jan 01, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Chuffin’ hell. What a ride that was. As with all of Colleen Hoovers books I LOVED this from the start. I’m not sold on ghosts/paranormal beings but I was genuinely hooked on this from the start. I stayed up so late because I couldn’t put it down.

My main concern after reading this book is for the welfare of Colleens mind - how does she come up with the likes of this book and Verity?!

I thought I had guessed the twist but no, another little firecracker thrown into the works of these strangely like
Julia Ash
Jan 18, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ghost-fiction
LAYLA by Colleen Hoover earned 4.5 Crazy-town stars from me!

WARNING…

If you take a trip and wind up in Crazy-town, you’re not even halfway to the twisted destination titled Layla.

Seriously. Consider yourself warned!

MY TEASE…

Twenty-two-year-old Layla is a free spirit—unafraid and uninhibited. So when the band at her sister’s wedding, located in Kansas at a rural bed and breakfast, inspires absolutely no one to dance, she doesn’t care. Layla dances anyway. By herself.

Who would have guessed that he
Lacey (laceybooklovers)
Colleen Hoover wrote a paranormal book. About ghosts!

This isn’t actually the first time I’ve read something non-contemporary from her. I’ve read her Never Never series (that she co-wrote with Tarryn Fisher), which I enjoyed. But with Layla, I really had no idea what I would be getting into. I had no idea what kind of paranormal it would be, no idea if it would be a ROMANCE, like a PNR. But as usual with all of CoHo’s books, it’s best to go in blind. And while I wish I could’ve loved this one mor
Ink_Drinker
Jan 04, 2021 rated it really liked it
“Every single second with her felt like an awakening. Like I’d never really opened my eyes until she came along. I was blind but now I see.” Colleen Hoover, Layla

So, this is not my normal genre, but I love all of Colleen Hoover’s other books so she is now an auto-buy for me!! This isn’t the usual genre that CoHo writes about either. I like that she isn’t afraid to try new genres. This is a WINNER!!

I went into the story blind. I didn’t even read the blurb. I’m a CoHort after all!! And….all I can
Jessica
Dec 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
I love how Colleen Hoover just decides she wants to write something and goes for it. I loved Too Late and Verity, which aren't normally her genres, so I was excited to see what she could bring to the table with a paranormal!

I went into this book knowing absolutely nothing other than the genre, which I think is the best way to go into this. I literally read this in one day (after work since it was a Monday) and I was definitely intrigued the whole time. I loved how this was paranormal, but this w
Corina
Jun 26, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
POPSUGAR READING CHALLENGE - A book that has the same title as a song

___________________________________

oooh we have a cover ♥︎

And the blurb sounds very different - love me something unique.

This one will be only my fourth book by her 😍 I'm excited!!

___________________________________

REVIEW

I must admit I wasn’t sure about Layla. Firstly I don’t read as much PNR anymore. And secondly ever since Colleen Hoover wrote Verity, which I still have to read, I’m NERVOUS – lol.

Fortunately all the trepidati
The Burning Rose (Jess)
Dec 21, 2020 marked it as to-read
I don’t know how I missed this book, but now I have to buy it as soon as possible.

• After All I've Done
  • That Secret Crush (Getting Lucky, #3)
  • The Ancestor
  • Cobble Hill
  • The Lady Upstairs
  • Little Deadly Secrets
  • The Good Sister
  • Float Plan
  • Brave Girl, Quiet Girl
  • You Had Me at Hockey (Bears Hockey, #2)
  • The Highlander's Promise (Highland Brides #6)
  • To Marry a Scottish Laird (Highland Brides, #2)
  • An English Bride in Scotland (Highland Brides, #1)
  • Forever with You (Sapphire Springs #1)
  • Lie, Lie Again
  • The Drowning Kind
  • Hopeless Romantic (When in Rome #2)
International and #1 New York Times bestselling author of romance, YA, thriller, women's fiction and paranormal romance.

I don't like to be confined to one genre. If you put me in a box, I'll claw my way out.

My social media username is @colleenhoover pretty much everywhere except my email, which is colleenhooverbooks@gmail.com

Founder of www.thebookwormbox.com charity and Book Bonanza.

Articles featuring this book

“It’s been proven that people who read live longer. Are you trying to die young?” 16 likes
“Perhaps what we desire can sometimes be so strong it overpowers our fate.” 13 likes