Start by marking “The Aleph Extraction (The Galactic Cold War, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Aleph Extraction (The Galactic Cold War, #2)

The Aleph Extraction

(The Galactic Cold War #2)

Aboard a notorious gangster's luxurious starliner, Simon Kovalic and his crew race to steal a mysterious artifact that could shift the balance of the war.

Still reeling from a former teammate's betrayal, Commonwealth operative Simon Kovalic's band of misfit spies has no time to catch their breath before being sent on another impossible mission: to pull off the daring heist
Published May 12th 2020 by Angry Robot

To ask other readers questions about The Aleph Extraction, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Aleph Extraction

Start your review of The Aleph Extraction (The Galactic Cold War, #2)
Erika Ensign
Jun 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Every book in this series is better than the last. I love a good heist. I love intrigue. I love watching these characters learn and change and evolve. And the new characters in this instalment are *chef's kiss*. Hope there are more on the way!
Rich Saskal
Jun 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
Takes the crew from The Bayern Agenda, adds another player to the team, then sends them off on another spy caper in humanity's spacefaring future. This one has more of the vibe of the later Mission:Impossible movies, in terms of the degree of difficulty of the central set piece, pushing the boundaries of suspension of disbelief just a bit. All in all, an entertaining read, as the author intended. ...more
Dave Packard
Jul 31, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: laser, kindle
Enjoyed the book very much, well developed and thought out characters, nice twists, and good action. My only nitpick is with the English language. Dan uses the sometimes preferred “they, them” pronouns for his non-binary person Mal. I think with all the words we have in English and the constant addition of words that we could come up with some pronouns that are not already used for plural usage. It threw me out of the story each time. Then I started to think of Mal as Zaphod Beeblebrox, with his ...more
Wylan
Jun 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The combination of sci-fi, espionage, and a heist really checks all the boxes for me. The characters are well written and the banter between them frequently made me laugh out loud. Plus I was on the edge of my seat trying to figure out how they were going to pull off the mission. I continually found myself reading just “one more chapter” when I should have been going to sleep instead. I’m looking forward to seeing where Kovalic and the team go next!
John Payne
Jun 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The galactic Cold War series just keeps getting better and better and harder and harder to put down. The characters we've already been introduced to continue to grow and other characters are introduced and make us feel for them immediately.
After the Bayern Agenda I was hungry for more. After the Aleph Extraction that hunger has turned into desperation to find out what happens next!
Mary Soon Lee
Jul 15, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
This is the third book in "The Galactic Cold War" series(*), featuring espionage in a science fiction future. Mild spoilers ahead. (view spoiler) I found it a quick, fun read with likable main characters and a satisfying dose of action ...more
Pallav
Mar 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book will make such a good movie. The characters are most of all so well done. There is a lot of work gone into the writing of this book. From the whole setup, to the second and third act as well as epilogue that sets things up pretty nicely. It's just the right mix of drama, action, heist, and double crosses. Fan of space spy action will love this one.

Most of all, I loved the interactions between the characters each of whom felt like individuals and not some cardboard cutouts.

I'll be loo
David
Jun 09, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the best book yet in Moren's Galactic Cold War series. It's well paced, cleverly plotted, and introduces fun new characters to the mix. It also continues to deal with fall-out from events of the previous book, The Bayern Agenda (which you don't need to read to enjoy this one, although you should). If you like spaceships and you like heists, you'll like this book. If you just like heists you'll like it. Moren doesn't make the mistake of thinking that advanced sci-fi technology matters mor ...more
Michael Mammay
Mar 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
These books are a lot of fun. They're basically cold war spy novels -- good ones -- except set in a futuristic cold war between galactic powers. Think Mission Impossible! or Robert Ludlum, except in space, and with all kinds of cool technology.

This is a sequel, and while you don't *have* to read The Bayern Agenda first, it would help you understand things better.
Ted
May 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great growth for Dan Moren and his characters…

His novels keep getting better — I really appreciated the depth that our favorite crew is taking on. And the plot continued to thicken the whole way through. A fun, page-turning read; can’t wait for the next installment in the Galactic Cold War!
Reese Hogan
Jan 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
As a big fan of espionage, I jumped at the chance to blurb Dan Moren’s latest book. I loved it even more than his last. Lots of action, fast-paced, and a likeable team of characters. I especially enjoyed the inclusion of an enby character. Here is my quote:

“A brilliant heist with a dynamic cast. Everything I was looking for in a spy novel!”
Nathan Alderman
Jun 05, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
(Full disclosure: The author's a friendly acquaintance of mine, and occasionally I have appeared on podcasts with him.)

I love a good heist caper, but I'm not sure I could ever write one. Like a heist itself, the best heist capers have multiple hurdles to clear, each tougher than the last. First, you need to devise a situation that seems impossible to breach. Then you need to figure out a plausible way to beat it. Then you need to figure out how things will inevitably go wrong -- because what go
David
Jun 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Having a new Dan Moren novel is a highlight of the year, and The Aleph Extraction was no exception. I love Eli and Kovalic and the rest of the team, and Moren sure knows how to make his sci fi spycraft a hell of a lot of fun.

In The Aleph Extraction, he cranks that up to 20 by having the team plan out and try to execute a daring heist, while Kovalic tries to fill in the vacancy in the team by recruiting a talented yet complicated new member, Addy Sayers. Sayers is bad ass, although some of her de
Nejc
Aug 07, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
This is the kind of SF novel that is perfect for reading on the beach. The story is nothing special in itself, but it is a perfect page-turner for your summer holiday. The story picks up straight after the first (or rather second, if you ever heard of The Caledonian Gambit) book from the series, and follows our special ops team into a new adventure... which is a heist of a supposed alien-archeological artefact from a gangster's cruise ship. Like I said, perfect beach literature... just make sure ...more
Reid Edwards
Mar 31, 2020 rated it really liked it
The Aleph Extraction is a fun, adventure/spy novel that keeps you hooked from the first page to the last. Moren does a great job of dropping twists and turns, so you’re never exactly sure what’s what. The characters play off each other well, giving the feeling of established colleagues who understand each other. I haven’t read the first in the series, but didn’t feel like I was missing any important details in this story. The world building is clean, with details added slowly and organically as ...more
T.J. Berry
Apr 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The Aleph Extraction is a delightful story of found family wrapped around an edge-of-your-seat space heist. It’s a worthy successor to The Bayern Agenda, but you don’t need to have read the first book before jumping into this one.

We return to our cast of stalwart space toughs who all have soft spots… for each other. A handful of new faces appear on the scene, and they’re just as intriguing as the familiar characters we know and love.

The Aleph Extraction races to a rewarding and unexpected conclu
Andrew McIntosh
May 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own
This was a great read. I really enjoyed the previous two books, but I think this one is my favourite. Each has been an improvement on the last.

The most heisty of the three, and very well done. The twists are twisty enough; not too convoluted, but not be exceedingly obvious. I was surprised a couple of times when the characters are fully aware of of a setup, as was I, but there was still an element of the unknown.

The technology and the spy-craft are both thought-out and very well executed.

Can't
Chris H
Apr 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Incredibly thrilling and well-paced spy thriller in a Cold War space setting. Moren crafts his characters with humanity and wit without turning them into superheroes. The science fiction world is vibrant and lived-in, not a painted set. Moren also deftly avoids writing technical manuals for technology that's used—it's all pleasingly familiar and naturally tracked from our current world.

I highly recommend this book, but it's worthwhile to start with the first book in the series!
Steph Lovelady
Jul 04, 2020 rated it liked it
I think my favorite part was the description of the spaceship, a cross between a cruise ship and a small village that flies through space. Moren has some creative settings in this series.

Also the addition of a new member of the team, who replaces a less interesting one, and a non-binary character whom I imagine will be a recurring character are pluses.

The writing is only so-so, but by this point, that's what I expected.
Jim
Apr 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
A great read. Action packed spy, suspense, heist thriller. I read it in a day - could not put it down. I had not read Dan's other 2 novels in this world and at first, felt I was missing something. But the plot took off and it didn't matter. I would have given it 5 stars but the the dialogue between characters was heavily cliched and slightly distracting.
Annarella
May 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A fun read, gripping and entertaining.
It's action packed, fast paced and the plot flows keeping you hooked.
The characters are well thought and interesting, the world building is interesting.
This is the first book I read in this series and want to read the other instalment.
Highly recommended.
Many thanks to the publisher for this ARC, all opinions are mine.
Etienne
Jun 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
After thoroughly enjoying the first two entries in the Galactic Cold War, The Aleph Extraction leans even more heavily into embracing its genre roots by turning the third outing into a heist plot.

With memorable characters and well-written set pieces, it was a very fun read cover-to-cover (I managed it in two sittings!). Looking forward to the next entry.
Samuel
Aug 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: up-next
Moren delivers another fantastic page turner in his galactic cold war saga. The characters have new life breathed into them, revealing flaws and adding depth and complexity to each one. The plot is compelling and pulls you through it with ease. I would absolutely recommend this to any fan of espionage or sci-fi.
Jaymie
Aug 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
I am thoroughly enjoying this scifi series. (Be sure to start with the Caledonian Gambit.) This particular book is suspenseful. The team is dealing with past missions (so read these in order) and their impact on this one, breaking in a new team member, etc. This one really left me hanging in the end - I can't wait for book 4! (Language, fighting/violence)
Bob Wertz
May 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I've read the other books in this series and was excited to pick this one up. Like the other books, Aleph Extraction is a spy story set in space. A fun read. Great plot and action, and the characters are continuing to develop. Really enjoyed the book and I hope there will be more.
James Farner
May 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I read this book in one day and only a few sittings—I did not want to put it down! It features spies and an interstellar heist with a fantastic cast of returning and new characters. Overall just a blast and lots of fun. I hope for another soon!
Eric Blair
May 21, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I intended to read finish up The Aleph Extraction over Memorial Day weekend, but then I decided I didn't really need allllllll that sleep the preceding Thursday night.

I've been enjoying Dan's characters since he introduced many of them in The Caledonian Gambit and it's fun seeing how the team and the universe have been fleshed out in the subsequent books. I was not disappointed to see the development continues through The Aleph Extraction.

Plus, it's a heist. In space. I mean, what's not to like?
Josh Hamacher
Not much depth, the plot is full of holes, the technology is hilariously inconsistent (when mentioned at all) - but a fast and fun read, sort of a summer blockbuster of a book. I've quite enjoyed this whole series so far.
Piet Jaspers
A heist to break into a vault on a spaceship, with spy stuff? One please.

Liked this one even more than the two previous ones (which I remembered very little about, so perfectly fine to read this as a standalone). Solid, fun read.
Jason Smith
May 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Dan Moren once again knocks it out of the park with just the right blend of humor and edge of your seat action.

• Sixteenth Watch
  • The Relentless Moon (Lady Astronaut #3)
  • The Last Emperox (The Interdependency, #3)
  • Mort (Discworld, #4; Death, #1)
  • Children of Time (Children of Time, #1)
  • Network Effect (The Murderbot Diaries, #5)
  • A Song for a New Day
  • Ballistic (The Palladium Wars #2)
  • The Cruel Stars (The Cruel Stars, #1)
  • Lucifer (2018) Vol. 2: The Divine Tragedy
  • The Worst of All Possible Worlds (The Salvagers, #3)
  • The First Sister (The First Sister Trilogy, #1)
  • A Memory Called Empire (Teixcalaan #1)
  • The Founding
  • Goldilocks
  • Burn Cycle (Cry Pilot #2)
  • You Look Like a Thing and I Love You: How Artificial Intelligence Works and Why It's Making the World a Weirder Place
Dan Moren is the author of the Galactic Cold War series of sci-fi spy novels, including The Aleph Extraction and The Bayern Agenda, as well as The Caledonian Gambit. His work has also appeared in The Boston Globe, PopSci.com, Yahoo Tech, The Magazine, Tom's Guide, TidBITS, Six Colors, and Macworld, where he formerly worked as a senior editor.

Dan's also a regular panelist on the Parsec-award-winnin

The Galactic Cold War (5 books)
  • The Caledonian Gambit
  • Pilot Error (The Galactic Cold War, #0.5)
  • The Bayern Agenda (The Galactic Cold War, #1)
  • Showdown (The Galactic Cold War, #1.5)

News & Interviews