Start by marking “Stories We Tell After Midnight” as Want to Read:
Stories We Tell After Midnight

Stories We Tell After Midnight

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  25 ratings  ·  11 reviews
A changeling binds a young girl to a mirror and takes her place.

A salesman pursues closing a deal until it costs him everything.

An ancient Duchess graciously invites you on a tour of her orangerie.

In these pages, the Fae walk as human, the dead burn with their anger at the living, the creatures that live in the dark places of the wrong zip code creep out of the shadows and
Published October 21st 2019 by Crone Girls Press

To ask other readers questions about Stories We Tell After Midnight, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Stories We Tell After Midnight

really liked it Average rating 4.00  ·

Start your review of Stories We Tell After Midnight
Diana
Oct 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
The only reason this isn't 5 stars is because I've had to sleep with the lights on since starting. The stories are wonderfully creepy and stick with you. Think you're going to nod peacefully off to sleep? NOPE. Something will creep in, and snuggle up with you, and it definitely isn't the dog. Each has a distinct voice and will send chills up and down your spine. Absolutely loving it!
Eddie Generous
Nov 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
As with any anthology, there seems to be service stories, fillers, this one has enough of those, but also a good number a quality reads. Not huge depth in any of the stories, but the entertainment factor was there, mostly built on a foundation of suspense...my favorite ingredient. Best of the bunch, to me, was Gobbl'uns, but The Organery and L'appel du Vide were also very cool.
David Thirteen
Apr 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
A solid collection of high quality stories running the gamut of horror sub-genres and tropes. As with most collections I’ve read, not every story moved me or kept my interest but the majority did. It’s hard to pick only three favorites but I’d have to say mine were The Orangery by Jane Hawley, In Memoriam by Elizabeth Donald, and Have You Come to Let Me Out by Tina Riddle. I would have no hesitation recommending this anthology to any horror lover.
Sara Maeve
Jan 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
Stories We Tell After Midnight is the inaugural publication of Crone Girls Press. I received an Advanced Reader Copy for the purpose of review.

“The call of the void,” a quote from Gidding’s story "L’appel du vide" and a single concept which runs through many of the stories in this anthology. This collection contains 14 stories and a poem which have been written using multiple horror elements. There is truly something for everyone (who likes horror) in this anthology. While reading, I found myse
Spencer Koelle
Jul 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The short review is these stories are suitably ghoulish and only two of the lot are bad.

This one seems to run more short and sweet compared to Coppice and Brake, and while the former had a focus on speculative fiction with a fabulist bent, this is more about all types of horror, with strict realism included as long as it's scary and brutal.

"The Orangery" is less than original, and I have some qualms with the take on sensory issues, but ultimately it's more about presentation than novelty, and
Richard Leis
Sep 23, 2020 rated it really liked it
A mix of flash and short fiction, Stories We Tell After Midnight from Crone Girls Press and editor Rachel A. Brune is an uneven mix, with several gems. The shorter pieces worked especially well for me, from the mesmerizing waves of "L'appel du vide" by M. P. Giddings to the coulrophobia-inducing "Uncle Charlie" by Christy Mann.

All the stories were dark and creepy, but sometimes I didn't sense a bigger story or clear themes. I felt like those stories could have dug a little deeper. There were als
Christine Dunne
Oct 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Some good some okay

This was an interesting book of tales. Some I had heard before and some new ones tellyou what you keep writing them and ill keep reading than sincerely Christine Dunne Harlingen texas
Samantha Kroese
Apr 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
Great collection of unique horror stories! What a great selection. Really enjoyed this book! I would recommend it to anyone looking for short interesting horror stories!
Ann Wycoff
Dec 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Full review on my blog: https://annwycoff.com/2019/12/18/book...

I enjoyed this book, thought it was very good. I agree with Eddie that like with pretty much all anthologies, the quality of the stories varied. For my tastes, I'd say they ranged from average to excellent. I also enjoyed the variation of settings, tone, and whatnot. I would certainly consider reading future offerings from Crone Girls Press.

Also, I read a paperback copy and found the physical quality of the book to be good, what I
Holly Garcia
Jan 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
Horror is such a subjective genre, covering ghosts to psychological terrors to monsters. It's hard to please everyone, but there is something for all in this anthology. My favorites were: L'appel du vide, In Memoriam, and It Has to Cool First, but all were well written.
Mary
Oct 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
From the Civil War to clowns and mirrors

This is a book of short stories, but creative and chilling short stories. All of the stories are horror, but they are all different settings and subgenres.
Book lover
Jun 25, 2020
Kynyetta Oden
Dec 27, 2019
Cristel Orrand
Oct 27, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  (Review from the author)
A.H. Plotts
May 10, 2020
Thea
Dorothea Kupper-Brune
Christy Mann
Oct 02, 2019 marked it as to-read  ·  (Review from the author)
Jude Reid
Oct 06, 2019
Nickie
Oct 15, 2019
Adam Messer
Oct 20, 2019 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Kaycee Colon Roberts
Nov 25, 2019
kim hartman
Dec 01, 2019

• Dreadful Dark Tales of Horror Book 1
  • Where Darkness Dares to Tread: Thirty-Two Horror Stories That Will Follow You Under the Covers
  • Tales from the Dark Side (Horror Bound Volume Book 1)
  • Dreadful Dark Tales of Horror Book 3
  • Devil Ship (Devil Ship #1)
  • The Hill (The Spread #1)
  • Unlucky Numbers: Thirteen Tales of Terror, Misfortune and Suspense
  • Horror Fuel Vol. 3: Twelve Chilling Stories to Read at Night
  • Horror Fuel Vol. 2: Twelve Chilling Stories to Read at Night
  • Night Terrors Vol. 3: Short Horror Stories Anthology
  • If I Die Before I Wake: Tales of Karma and Fear (The Better Off Dead Series #1)
  • Baby Blue
  • Drabbles of Dread
  • The Vine Witch (Vine Witch, #1)
  • Frightful: A Short Story Collection of Christmas Horror
  • Well Met (Well Met, #1)
  • The Devil’s Bedtime Stories: Volume Four
  • The 13: Tales of Macabre
Rachel A. Brune graduated from the NYU Tisch School of the Arts in May 2000, and was immediately plunged into the low-stakes world of entry-level executive assistant-ship. Her unexpected journey out of that world and into the military is chronicled in her self-published book Echoes and Premonitions.

Rachel served five years as a combat journalist, including two tours in Iraq, and a brief stint as a

News & Interviews