Start by marking “Safe House” as Want to Read:
Safe House

Safe House

Shes paid the price for giving her ex a false alibi, and now shes moved to a seaside village to escape her pastbut more than her lie follows her there in this chilling and twisty psychological thriller from the author of the acclaimed The Exes Revenge.

One day, a woman turns up in a remote coastal village. Shes bought a crumbling, long-vacant cottage and calls herself
Published March 10th 2020 by Berkley (first published October 31st 2019)

To ask other readers questions about Safe House, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Safe House

Start your review of Safe House
Maureen
Nov 03, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
**3.5 stars *

When Steffi Finn provided a false alibi for her controlling boyfriend Lee Fisher, she had no idea how bad that decision was, but it sees them both serve a prison sentence, and in Steffis case it comes with numerous death threats too.

On her release from prison she assumes a new identity under the name of Charlie Miller, and moves hundreds of miles away from her home in Sheffield to a small village on the Cornish coast.

Initially Charlie keeps herself to herself, but as with most
Kaceey
Mar 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
3.5*
Is it possible to simply start over?

Steffi Finn trusted the wrong man. Young, foolish and in love, she ignores all the obvious warning signs. Something about love being blind? This, despite the fact that young local women are being murdered. And when the police came knocking? Well, whats a love-struck girl to do? Naturally Steffi quickly gives her boyfriend the alibi he desperately needs. I mean, he couldnt be guilty...right!?💁♀

No big surprise when everything goes sideways, and Steffi
Nilufer Ozmekik
Feb 16, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is riveting, interesting, fast pacing story. It is not mind blowing kind of terrifying, nail biter but mostly it is really well written and capturing your focus. It starts as five starred reading with intriguing plot, good characterization (you deeply feel for Steffi a.k.a Charlie) but in the middle you just lose your interest and it drops to 2 or 3 starred reading and thankfully ending was satisfying and it hooks you again and you tell yourself: Okay, that is not one of the best thrillers ...more
Susanne  Strong
Mar 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
3.75 Stars

Sometimes, no matter what the circumstance, you should trust your instincts.

Every Step You Take
Every Move You Make
Every Breath You Take
Ill Be Watching You
The Police, 1983

Charlie Miller desperately needs to start fresh. An ex-con, with a new name, Charlie Miller is now living in a small Cornish village far from her home. Charlie was once known as Steffi Finn, girlfriend to serial murderer, Lee. Steffi was accused of giving a false alibi to the police and served two years in prison.
Katie B
Jan 13, 2020 rated it really liked it

Loved the premise for this one as it's about a woman who just got out of prison for providing a false alibi. She's looking to start over under a new name and in a new town but someone out there thinks she got off too easy. Better watch your back lady! The story lost a bit of steam starting somewhere in the second half but things definitely got interesting towards the end.

Steffi Finn needs a fresh start. She gave a false alibi to police when they came around asking questions about her
Louise Wilson
Oct 28, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Steffi has just been released from prison. She buys a run down cottage that she intends to renovate herself. She changes her name to Charlie and starts her new life in a small Cornish village. She soon starts to make new friends, even with the grumpy old man who lives next door. But then strange things start to happen around her. She feels that she is being watched. Has her past came back to haunt her.

There's quite a lot of backstory to contend with. There are parts that seem to drag on.
Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader
Mar 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
Steffi is guilty of giving her ex a false alibi, and shes going into hiding in a seaside village. She buys an old cottage and gives herself a new name, Charlie Miller. Shes mostly a recluse.

In the past, Charlie served two years for providing the false alibi. She didnt believe her boyfriend was guilty, but she was wrong, and now she just wants to start over.

Eventually, Charlie gets to know her neighbors and comes out of her shell. All the while, she feels as if shes being watched. A friend of
Mandy White
Safe House by Jo Jakeman. This book was an enjoyable enough read but it never really captured me, the beginning was good but I felt that in the middle it got a bit slow and then then the ending felt rushed and way over the top. I was expecting a lot more from the story from the synopsis.

Charlie is new to the small remote Cornish town and ready for a new start. She has just been released from prison where she was serving time for providing her then boyfriend Lee a false alibi. Back then she was
Emma
Oct 18, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Steffi Finn was in love with her man. So when he told her that the police were trying to fit him up for something he hadnt done, she lied for him. Said he was with her all night. Because thats what you do, right? You protect the ones you care about. Most of all, you believe them. In cases like this, you have to believe them. Otherwise those questions about missing women mean theres something a whole lot worse going on than you just making a mistake.

And boy was she ever wrong, with a prison
Bella Jones
Nov 02, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is essentially the story of a naive woman who served 10 months after giving a false alibi to her controlling boyfriend. She is released from prison, assumes a new name and moves to a village in Cornwall to start afresh. Shes bought a run down cottage she plans to renovate herself, but will she be able to have a 2nd chance or will her past catch up with her?

This isnt exactly a traditional thriller, the plot is taut but the tension comes on quite gently and is interspersed with some
Shalini
Nov 17, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a slow burn suspense. Having read the previous book by this author, I was eager to get my hooks into this one.

Steffi had given false alibi for boyfriend and was realesed after being in jail for 10 months. She decided to move to Cornwall with a new identity, but felt someone stalking her. Was it real or just paranoia?

This was quite a mind bender of a read with the writing making the atmosphere take on a claustrophobic feel. The plot twists occured later down the pages. Overall a fun
Isabel • The Crime Bookshelf
3.5 STARS.

Thank you so much to Berkley for the gifted ARC of SAFE HOUSE! This was such a quick and easy read 🙌 I flew through this book not only because of how light of a read it was, but also because it was super intriguing 🤓

What I really enjoyed about this book was how easy it was to get into the story. The first few chapters were so incredibly intriguing to me that I just HAD to know what was going to happen. I also really enjoyed the format and felt like it was perfect for this book. Each
Stina
★★★ 3.5 stars

I've not read Jo Jakeman before so I wasn't sure what to expect from SAFE HOUSE. I wasn't disappointed but I wasn't wowed either. I think the story had great potential to be better, though it was still reasonably enjoyable.

It's the first day of Charlie Miller's life. That is, as Charlie Miller. For that isn't her real name...just her new one. She used to be Steffi Finn and she has just been released from prison after serving a 10 month sentence for perverting the course of justice
Elizabeth of Silver's Reviews
FULL REVIEW WILL BE ON MARCH 21.

Where would you go if you had just been released from prison and knew everyone hated you for what you had done?

Jo Jakeman made SAFE HOUSE very appealing with a terrific story line and pull-you-in writing.

SAFE HOUSE is a suspenseful thriller that will keep you on edge along with Charlie.

The tension wont let you put the book down and will have you gripping the pages.

If you enjoy guessing until the end, do not miss SAFE HOUSE. 5/5

This book was given to me by the
Shruti Ramanujam
Dec 07, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Actual rating: 4.5 out of 5

Safe House is a gripping tale filled with twists, lies, and deception. It's the perfect psychological thriller for cold weather and I can't recommend it enough!

Read the entire review on This is Lit.
Kelly Van Damme
Bloody brilliant!
Joanne Robertson
Nov 01, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Charlie has bought a new property in Cornwall. Its a total wreck but shes determined to do it up and live a quiet and peaceful life there. Unfortunately, Charlies new abode may not be the safe haven that shes been hoping for as shes convinced that someone is out there, watching her. The more we find out about Charlie, the more we realise that shes hiding behind her new identity to keep her former name and past a secret. But even constantly looking over her shoulder isnt going to keep her safe ...more
Melanie’s reads
Ooo that Jo Jakeman is a clever little bugger. I thought I had it pegged and I was, as the saying goes close but no cigar. I really should pay more attention as she had carefully laid clues in such a subtle way that this oaf missed them until it was too late. Now I love red herrings and unreliable narrators but what I really love is being misdirected even though the clues are there all along if you look hard enough. So when all is revealed you slap your forehead and shout god Im a dimwit.

I loved
Lel Budge
Nov 02, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Steffi Finn is in prison, serving 10 months for giving a false alibi for her boyfriend, Lee. The relationship had been one sided and very coercive, but she loved Lee.but he had then killed another woman

On her release, she moves to Cornwall, takes a new identity, Charlie Miller, and settles into life in a small community.

However, she starts to feel she is being watched, is this paranoia? Or is someone really watching, someone who knows her real identity?

This is quite a gentle psychological
Shalini | Book Rambler
The pacing was good even if I had a bit of trouble getting into it during the beginning. The setting of the village where Steffi/Charlie settled and the uneasiness she felt every moment was perfectly written. I liked the unpredictability of the twists as the author kept my mind working to find out who Steffi/Charlies stalker was and why was he/she(/they) were trying to kill her.

Overall, I would recommend this book if youre looking for a slow-burn thriller with a captivating female lead. This
Emma
Oct 31, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
All of my reviews can be found at https://damppebbles.com/

I received a free eARC of Safe House but that has in no way influenced my review.

Charlie Miller is a woman with a lot to hide. Whats the best thing to do when youve made a number of terrible mistakes and want to forget your past? When you walk down the street of the town which youve lived your entire life in and people spit at you? You obviously up sticks and move to a different part of the country! Charlie Miller moves her meagre
Adrian Scottow
Aug 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A woman moves to a sleepy Cornish village to try and escape her past but her secrets follow her.

I really enjoyed the setting and characters in this book - Charlie is complex - trusting and open and entirely believable. Her past relationship with her ex - Lee is the root of her troubles and I liked the way the past and current interwove until we had the complete picture. I really enjoyed the twists and turns along the way - Jo had me questioning everybody and everything. The Cornish village
Yesha- Books Teacup and Reviews
You can read all my review on Blog - Books Teacup and Reviews

Safe House was intriguing psychological thriller that revolved around Charlie, desperate to put behind her past, murderer ex and hate-filled judgmental people of the town. The book was about seeing the signs and heed to warning bells before its too late, misreading and misjudging a person, guilt, betrayal, manipulation, lies, deceit, blind love, unhealthy relationship, and facing past to give it closure.

I have just one word to
Honestmamreader
Oct 31, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My Thoughts:

Safe House is Jakeman's second novel. Sticks and Stones was her debut novel. I haven't read her first but I definitely will now.

I have to firstly say well done to Jo Jakeman for writing this mysterious, psychological thriller. You really messed with my head. This was one of those books that I couldn't put down, a proper page turner.

Ok, so the story goes like this...

Steffi Finn loved her boyfriend. She didn't query when the police came asking questions about his whereabouts on the
Rachel Bridgeman
Nov 01, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: november
'Safe House' by Jo Jakeman is out on Halloween, (very appropriately!), in hardback,audiobook and ebook format.

It's Jo Jakeman's second psychological thriller and an epic of twisty plotting which will keep the keenest reader on their toes till the very last page.

Starting with an explosive police scen which intimates the death of someone who has warned the police that they were in danger, the narrative then goes on to explore a dual timeline of Steffi Finn, doctor's receptionist/ Having provided
Laurie • The Baking Bookworm
3.5 STARS - Safe House is a story about past mistakes and how quickly you can lose yourself and change your future if you trust the wrong person. In her second thriller, Jakeman weaves a slow-burn suspense story that combines some intense scenes and a main character whose choices will make readers question her intentions.

The story is told using dual timelines. The first focuses on Steffi's new life as Charlie Miller as she tries to quietly start over after serving ten months in prison for giving
Between The Pages Book Club (Gemma M)
My first five star read of 2020. I actually started this one before Christmas and got 100 pages in, but I devoured the rest of this in a day. Its full of suspense, tense, thrilling and an edge of your seat read. Especially towards the end I couldnt turn the pages fast enough. A real page turner.
THE ENDING. THE OUTCOME. THE TWIST. Never saw it coming in a million years. True shocker. Jaw dropper. Just didnt expect it at all. The main character Charlie has done her time with a short prison
Patty
Mar 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Book Review: Safe House
By: @jojakeman
Genre: Thriller
Format: ARC Available Now! Thanks to @berkleypub for my gifted copy!

Charlie Miller moves to a small beach front town to escape her past life, one she would rather forget about. The life where she was Steffi Finn- girlfriend of serial killer Lee Fisher, and had accidentally provided a false alibi for which sent her to prison for 10 months. As Charlie works to create her new identity- things keep happening to her that prevent her from fully
Haley Renee The Caffeinated Reader
3.5/5 Rounded up to 4

Hey all, first off thank you so much to Vintage [and NetGalley] for giving me a copy of the eARC in exchange for my honest opinion as part of the tour.

When they reached out and asked if I wanted to read and review this for a tour, how could I say no? Creepy awesome thriller for a Halloween timed tour? I was all in.

And I have no regrets!

This is as creepy and awesome as the blurb made it sound. You switch around between the cop Naz at
Susan Hunter
Oct 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic read. I loved the previous book by this author, Sticks and Stones. Safe House certainly didn't disappoint. It was really and truly an edge of your seat thrilling read. There were so many suspects, I just couldn't fathom out who it was going to be. Needless to say I was wrong.. The book is intriguing from the start and just gets better as the plot unfurls. Another brilliant 5 star read by Jo Jakeman
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• I Dare You
  • A Window Breaks
  • Gone
  • Who Did You Tell?
  • The Guest List
  • The Guesthouse
  • What She Saw Last Night
  • Hold Your Tongue (DI Eve Hunter, #1)
  • The Wreckage
  • She
  • Seven Days
  • Nothing Important Happened Today (Detective Sergeant Pace, #2)
  • The Dilemma
  • The Return
  • Little Friends
  • All The Rage (DI Adam Fawley, #4)
  • The Ex Girlfriend