Start by marking “Sky Island” as Want to Read:
Sky Island

Sky Island

(A Trot & Cap'n Bill Adventure #2)

The stunning sequel to Sea Sirens, the middle-grade graphic novel about a spunky Vietnamese American surfer girl and her cantankerous talking cat. This time Trot and Cap'n Bill have to rescue a Sea Siren friend from the clutches of a ruthless amusement park owner.

School's out and Trot and Cap'n Bill are looking forward to a carefree summer of surfing. But trouble surfaces
Published June 9th 2020 by Viking Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Sky Island, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sky Island

Start your review of Sky Island
Zoe
Mar 11, 2021 rated it really liked it
My goodness!

After book one, I thought It’d be quite tricky to make another story line, but some how Amy Chu found an amazing plot and story line to make a sequel!!

The illustrations are just as beautiful in the sequel and just as colourful, Janet is so skilled with her art in the Sea Sirens books!

I love how this book takes place on land and in the water. It was fascinating how it had the exploring on land element mixed in with the in the sea element, a great combination.

If you’ve read book one
Becky B
When Clia's best friend Merla is kidnapped by a human, she calls on Trot, Cap'n Bill, and Grandpa to help her rescue her friend.

This is loosely inspired by some of the further Oz adventures on beyond the first story everyone knows. I can see elements in here inspired by Oz characters, definitely, but it is also its own story. I love that Trot's Grandpa gets to join her in her adventures. They are a fun duo, and it is great to see that at least in this world the fantasy adventuring isn't only for
Ben
Jan 05, 2021 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
GAAAAAAAAAAH!!! This book makes me so mad for many reasons! I did not read this book, but I did find it on the web. L. Frank Baum's books are perfect, and when I first saw this, I thought, "Wow! People are FINALLY REALIZING THE WIZARD OF OZ IS JUST A SAMPLE OF THE 40+ BOOK SERIES AND BAUM AND THE OTHER WRITERS NEVER RAN OUT OF GOOD IDEAS!" Then, I noticed that in this book, Trot is not a Californian girl who's dad is off at sea and Cap'n Bill, his injured friend who takes care of his daughter... ...more
Rebecca
Mar 20, 2021 rated it liked it
"Look, its that girl and her surfing cat! I saw them on YouTube!"

Another great re-working and modernization of L. Frank Baum's secondary books to the Oz series. However, this time, Chu's plot borrows little from Baum's Sky Island (which was a magical island floating in the sky), and instead sticks with the mermaid characters from the first book. The illustrations are spot on and I love a talking cat! The protagonists are again Vietnamize-Americans; this time introducing a Spanish/Mexican charac
Lara
So, first of all, I did not know that this is the second book in the series when I started it, so in the beginning I was definitely a little confused. But I just went with it and figured things out fairly quickly. Unfortunately, it didn't really help a whole lot because I found the story just suuuuper simplistic, as well as choppy and ridiculous. I did not really enjoy the writing at all, and the art is sort of pretty? But it's also kind of strange at times.

I do have questions about what happen
OneMamaReads
Mar 15, 2021 rated it really liked it
4.5 Stars

****

Book 2 sees Trot finishing the school year, excited for summer and anxious to once again see her siren friends. Only, Princess Clia has not answered her letters. Finally, a letter arrives, but from the Serpent King, Anko. Her siren friend, Merla, is missing, snatched by a human boat, so they need Trot and Cap'n Bill's help. Grandpa is once again along for the ride, because he knows the former owner of the Island they need to go to (where the boat is from).

Read my full review here: h
In this sequel, Trot is happy to be out of the school for the summer but really misses her seas siren friends Clia and Merla. While she and her cat Cap'n Bill are surfing, her grandfather fishes on the pier above. She asks him to deliver another letter to her undersea friends and in response they recieve a note calling for help.

A fun follow up story to the first adventure, and is named after the series by L Frank Baum that inspired this colorful graphic novel.
Linda Klein
Sep 20, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book as well as the first in the series. Not a really deep plot, but still likable characters and really beautiful art. You probably should read the first in the series for exposition.
Aletha
Jul 05, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Super cute as always. I love Trot, Bill, and her grandfather. I didn't realise they were putting out another book so this was a really good surprise for me. I hope this means there are still more to come. ...more
Sean Carroll
Mar 26, 2021 rated it really liked it
Great fun. Like a 60s sitcom plot with mermaids & an evil villain. Spoiler, the cat always saves the day
Amanda
I didn't realize that this had a loose basis in an L. Frank Baum book. The art was what really drew me in. Fun adventures. ...more
Melody
Nov 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Such a treat!!
Andréa
Note: I accessed a digital review copy of this book through Edelweiss.
Dyl

• Beetle & the Hollowbones
  • The Boy, the Mole, the Fox and the Horse
  • A Cat Story
  • The War at Ellsmere
  • Love Her or Lose Her (Hot & Hammered, #2)
  • The Daughters of Ys
  • Act (Click, #3)
  • Good Talk: A Memoir in Conversations
  • Kusama: The Graphic Novel
  • Clap When You Land
  • The Phantom Twin
  • Witches of Brooklyn
Writer for DC, Vertigo, Marvel, IDW and more, including: Poison Ivy, Ant-Man, Deadpool, Red Sonja, Green Hornet, Sensation Comics Wonder Woman, X-Files. KISS and DMC Comics. Cofounded Alpha Girl Comics, publisher of Girls Night Out and other comics. Frequent comic-con panel speaker and moderator.

A Trot & Cap'n Bill Adventure (2 books)
  • Sea Sirens