Start by marking “This Book Is Gray” as Want to Read:
This Book Is Gray

This Book Is Gray

Gray just wants to be included. But the other colors are always leaving him out. So he decides to create his own project: an all-gray book. Once upon a time, there lived a wolf, a kitten, and a hippo

Gray just knows its going to be perfect. But as he adds page after page, the Primary and Secondary colors show upand they arent quite so complimentary.

A book within a book,

Kindle Edition
Published December 1st 2019 by Two Lions

To ask other readers questions about This Book Is Gray, please sign up.
Belinda I have just always liked the color grey as being neutral and one of my favorite colors. It does not seem to be an exciting color to most and does not…moreI have just always liked the color grey as being neutral and one of my favorite colors. It does not seem to be an exciting color to most and does not jump out at you but is calm(less)

Start your review of This Book Is Gray
Calista
This book is cute, but let me get this out of the way first. I hate the color gray. Its sad and depressing and the color of pollution, but I do like the a grey overcast day and if you notice it makes the other colors around more cozy. The greens are a deeper green and stand out more. Gray is the new stylish color now and I dont like it. Anyway.

I went into this book apprehensively. I am pleasantly surprised at how much I enjoy this story. We start out with the other bright primary and secondary
Donna Backshall
This may be a children's book, but I thought it was GRAYt. In fact, it was chock full of puns and banter. I believe adults would appreciate this as much as any kid would.

No matter your age, you'll laugh with Gray and his colorful friends through every page. And maybe, just maybe, you'll learn an interesting thing or two about colors.
HBalikov
Nov 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a book for children up to about nine about the "lesser known" color, gray, and why it should get its time in the spotlight.

My little kid panelists (2 to 5) found the illustrations charming but the text had to be simplified for their comprehension.

The book is short, and we will try it again in about a year to see if the result is different. Ward wants to pack in some terms that may need to be skipped for younger readers. Still, this is a charming effort to enlighten the subject.
Charles  van Buren

Publication date: December 1, 2019
Publisher: Two Lions
Language: English
ASIN: B07MQR7B5V

I downloaded this book through the Amazon First Reads Program for our daughter. We sat down and read the book together. She complained that the print in the Kindle edition is too small on my 7" screen. Perhaps this book would look much better with a larger screen. She enjoyed the story but was not excited about it. She
Montzalee Wittmann
Nov 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Kids will want to hear this over rover!

This Book is Gray by Lindsay Ward is an adorable kids book to learn colors and just have fun. Lots happening in each page to keep busy eyes attentive.
Juliana
Nov 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Cute book about the color gray wanting to create its own story. All the other colors (rudely) butt in saying it's impossible without a primary color. It turns into a story within the story where the crayons are giving their input while Gray keeps trying to work on their story. In the end, there is a great balance of color and the characters Gray creates get their happy ending too!
Kate
Dec 01, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
Gray is a depressing color, rarely signifying anything good. Gray sky, gray snow, gray skin, gray mood. This book is about a color who wants to be included, despite every other color trying to convince him that nobody likes him and he doesn't belong.

I could see where Gray had a point. My eyes weren't used to looking at gray illustrations. Everything looked strange, probably because artists avoid gray in their art. It's a complicated color with many shades. After reading this book, I still don't
Erin Buhr
Oct 17, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019-books
Gray has decided to create his own Gray Book because he is always feeling left out. The other colors have a lot to say about that idea. This is a clever, cheerful story that fans of THE DAY THE CRAYONS QUIT will love. This book plays with colors and color concepts and it also addresses feelings about being left out - something everyone has felt at one time or another. A fun, character filled comedy with plenty of heart.
anud-be
Nov 24, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children
cute ♥ ...more
Kelsey
Age: Preschool-2nd grade
Concept skill: colors

Ward seamlessly includes some complex color vocabulary including primary, secondary, and achromatic, but the story is ultimately muddled by "friends" that borderline as bullies. When these persistent colors talk over and ignore Gray's desire to have one book to himself, they eventually come around to listening to him--by finally including Gray in their artwork. The badgering and "too cool" quality of the colors makes it hard to see them as the good
Elizabeth
Nov 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children, own-digital
My love of Amazon first pics is best expressed in my ever growing collection of digital picture books. I know that you are eye rolling because I could use my monthly free book to get an adult book, but I have yet to be disappointed by the kiddie lit that I have tucked in my phone for my adorable nieces and nephews. This one is a cute color wheel of fun, and you have to love any book that tells you to love yourelf for who you are! A fun romp that was nephew and auntie approved!
Lincoln
Nov 07, 2019 rated it did not like it
Totally contrary to title

This book says it's about gray, but it veers quickly away from the charming premise into psychobabble and a reversal of the premise. If you want abook about valuing the unnoticed potential of individuals who get overlooked, look elsewhere. Thus isn't that book. There's very little in this book about gray and it's value.
Aug 01, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019
I picked up an ARC at ALA and have enjoyed this alongside my six-year-old. We've added 'achromatic' to our vocabulary. And now I see all things gray....if I could attach a photo, I'd share proof.
Janet Strohecker
Nov 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great for kids & adults

This book actually had me laughing out loud at all the puns and word play. A fantastic book for children to learn all about their colors.
I liked it so much, I bought the hard copy. :D
Karen L. Heffner
Nov 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great way to teach color theory as well as sensitivity to feeling of others

I'm a 70 year old artist. I loved it. It's adorable. I never got a children's book for my Amazon Prime first read before.
Kayle-ann Lee chee
Nov 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Cute story for kids.

Like, Totally loved it! (Said in the primary colour yellows voice) Cool book to narrate for kids. They loved it. Thanks.
Ivy Moser
Mar 01, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Funny, charming, original...and I learned something!
The only thing I slightly didn't like was the use of the word "guys"--but I always am bothered by that, so nothing pointedly against this book or anything.
Anomaly
Cute and Enjoyable But Massively Misses Target Demographic

I am so confused and conflicted because I both enjoyed parts of this book and felt like it completely failed in its mission. As an adult, I appreciated the sarcastic humour and liked the art for being cute. However, I don't believe children will understand this type of story or even be able to grasp the underlying message. I'm not even sure I can grasp the message myself, seeing how far it deviates from what's promised.

This isn't
Tana
Feb 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fun book about colors - Picture book
Leslie Marley
Feb 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Funny and engaging it really does also educate about colors and what it is like to feel left out.
Baby Bookworm
Hello, friends! Were back! The Baby Bookworm has moved houses, and were all set up in our new reading corner (though Mr. Dinosaur is still in a box somewhere, so he is still on hiatus). Our book today is This Book Is Gray by Lindsay Ward, a tale of individuality.

As the primary and secondary colors work together to build a colorful rainbow, Gray watches with envy. Theres no gray in the rainbow, after all, and hes feeling left out. So Gray decides to make his own book, one with nothing but gray: a
Judi Easley
Nov 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: teachers, librarians, early readers, parents/grandparents, gift givers
Recommended to Judi by: Amazon
This Book is Gray
Lindsay Ward
Two Lions, Expected Dec 1, 2019
40 pages
Childrens book: colors, marginalizing
Amazon First Picks
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

The cover is cute and totally appealing in spite of its lack of bright and cheerful colors. The values of gray and the energy created by the brushstrokes used work well. And then there is our little guy Gray himself there with his tiny pink cheeks cheering us on and inviting us into his book.

Gray is feeling quite despondent since he is always left out when it comes to
Starbubbles
Feb 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Cute and colorful!

I loved this book! It's cute and full of color. Each color had a distinct personality and clothes, it was adorable!

I want to note that this is NOT compatible with the Kindle Paperwhite. Luckily, it worked fine on my phone, but it doesn't allow for zooming in either to read really small words. I feel that Amazon should not sell ebooks that are incompatible with their own products. At least warn a person. Geez!
Stacie
Nov 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s-books
This book is a story within a story, and I think kids are really going to love it. It reminds me a bit of the book THE DAY THE CRAYONS QUIT. Gray is tired of being left out of everything, like rainbows. Nobody wants to include him because he isnt a real color. So Gray decides to make the GRAYtest book everonly with the color gray.

As Gray starts to share the story, the primary and secondary colors show up and want to be a part of the story. They are critical of Grays story saying its too dark and
Sara
Jan 28, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: kindle-unlimited
Cute

Gray is tired of being left out. It was pretty entertains and teaches a bit of the color scheme and complimentary, etc. And Gray finally feels appreciated.
Carrie-Anne
I got this on Prime first reads, because most of the books they feature each month are things I'm not interested in.

This is a book for kids of course, but my favourite colour is grey so it was nice to see some grey love!

I'm not going to rate this because I'm clearly not the demographic, but yay to grey.
elizrdbthspeaks
Nov 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
i think that call this a Amazon first ... u can get it before it is available for purchase, if you have Amazon Prime or is it KU? any who ... i have do both. cute read ... u feel for for GRAY ... i've never thought about it ... i am usually a vibrant color person ... get me some bright colors. fun read. u feel it. great for kids and big kids as well.
Anne
Nov 01, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-book, ebooks
Read it online (ebook). Cute! Poor Gray doesn't get to be part of all the coloring like the rainbow colors, so he starts his own book, but then the other colors barge in. Colorful, even though it's about gray, and the endpapers have some useful color information.
Madeline
I understand the point.

But, the story is dull, unlike the color.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• Naughty Ninja Takes a Bath
  • Bird Hugs
  • Along the Tapajós
  • A Tiger Like Me
  • Pirates Don't Go to Kindergarten!
  • World So Wide
  • I'm NOT just a Scribble...
  • The Cool Bean (The Bad Seed, #3)
  • A Day So Gray
  • The Serious Goose
  • Spiky
  • Everybody Says Meow
  • Sticks
  • Bad Dog
  • Are Your Stars Like My Stars?
  • Ball & Balloon
  • Straw
  • Emergency Kittens!
Lindsay Ward has a BFA in Illustration from Syracuse University. Her most recent books include Its Show and Tell, Dexter! and Dont Forget Dexter!, books 1 and 2 in the Dexter T. Rexter Series with Two Lions. She is also the author and illustrator of Brobarians (Two Lions, 2017), The Importance of Being 3 (Dial 2016), Rosco vs. the Baby (S&S, 2016), Henry Finds His Word (Dial, 2015), a Choose ...more

News & Interviews