Start by marking “Song of Shadow (Ballad of Emerald and Iron #1)” as Want to Read:
Song of Shadow (Ballad of Emerald and Iron #1)

Song of Shadow

(Ballad of Emerald and Iron #1)

They said she was out of her mind. The dark truth will shake the foundations of the fae realm…

Lorelei refuses to believe her wild visions mean she’s insane. But despite her royal sidhe heritage, she’s banished to a remote priory to prevent her causing trouble. So when a priestess of the Elemental Order urges her to join a risky pilgrimage, she flees her prison and sails he
Published August 26th 2019

Start your review of Song of Shadow (Ballad of Emerald and Iron #1)
Kaitlin
Oct 20, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: spfbo-2020
* I read this as a judge for the #SPFBO *

This story is very magic-based and follows Lorelei, a young Sidhe character who has powers when she sings. It's clear to the reader from early in the book that Lorelei has previously caused some trouble, and been sent to a monastery to try and earn trust back, but it's evident that no matter her genuine trying her family doesn't want to forgive her.
When a new character, Vaana, arrives and offers Lorelei a chance to escape and do something that could help
Paddy Pikala
May 06, 2020 rated it liked it
It's a book set in a lush world... so lush I had trouble to follow. At first I thought I just can't focus, but then I realize that this book feels like I'm reading the second part of a series. Like we were supposed to get it from page one, with little explanation offered. The characters, albeit interesting, weren't properly introduced and as a reader, I didn't have enough time to get to know them and the world before action started. And there was loads of it. Unfortuneraly, many scenes felt cut ...more
Anna Wick
There is a level of repeat without change or learning from experience that is mildly annoying
Why does MC go on and on about the ex who is her sisters fiance
Never time to communicate which causes tension and drama but not in a good way
No curious enough about things the peak the instinct
Keep running blind into fights and forgetting the magic they can do until they are half dead, or lead with the sword when using magic from the side line would make more sense
no real questioning of authority
I'm hopi
E.G. Stone
May 28, 2020 rated it really liked it
This is one of those books that just sort of grabs your mind and takes you along for the adventure. It's not hugely complex, like reading a chess game or tapestry, it's entertaining and fun. The characters are well thought out, the plot is perfect for a fantasy adventure and the next books are probably going to be just as entertaining (if the ending of this is anything to go by). I enjoyed this greatly and Vandermere is definitely my favourite.
Elizabeth
May 30, 2020 rated it it was ok
DNF
Danielle
Jan 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2020
Such a great book. I picked it up solely based on the cover and it was so much more than I expected, can’t wait to see how much more trouble they can get into in the next book. More gods to free and the order to take down.
Ferdinand
Aug 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: All fantasy fans
Shelves: adventure
With a chance to clear her name and be part of an exciting adventure,Lorelei chooses to join Vaana on her quest for the Order.
They meet Vandameer, a prophet of house Essus, and with his help explore the temple of Muir, but their adventure is brought to a quick halt when Vaana, after touching ancing relic tablets, ends up with several gods residing within her.
Their journey takes an unexpected turn as they try to find a solution for Vaana, which also brings about questions about the Order and whet
The Mysterious Reader
Sep 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I read (many, many) tons of fantasy novels. It’s a particular addiction of mine but I’m still very picky and only go for books where the world-building, character crafting, plot and writing are all well done. Happily, Natalya Capello’s Song of Shadow, the first book in her new Ballad of Emerald and Iron series, far exceeds that standard. It’s simply superb. Action, thrills, a sinister conspiracy, magic, thrills and adventure await, with a truly superb heroine in Lorelei and an epic-fantasy-in-th ...more
Sabetha | Aconite Cafe
Great world building, the different aspects of magic and types of people were so intrigue. Loved discovering what each new species had the ability to do / not do. Good layout on what looks to be the start of some deep seeded political/religious intrigue that will hopefully be uncovered in the next book.

The characters always seemed to find themselves in the worse scenario possible with each scene, and then would be saved in the nick of time by someone popping in on the action that it didn't reall
Frances Law
Sep 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
A fascinating ride.

I love this story but, again, it is spoilt by poor proofreading! I’m happy to forward my notes to the author should she wish. It’s the reason that I can only give 4 stars i.s.o. 5! Lorelei seems to be growing into her name as she progresses on this quest. Vandermere and Raana prove to be staunch allies despite Raana’s past. Her sister Freya is as beautiful as the poisoned apple given to Snow White. The question is, why?
Rachel Osborne
Aug 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is the first book and it starts with excitement and adventure. The Fae world was so well written and intriguing that I just flew through the pages. The story draws you in and you feel like you're there. The characters were relatable and had depth. I enjoyed this start and look forward to seeing what happens next. Beautifully written, creative and well thought out story!
I received an arc for an honest review
Crystal
Sep 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Lorelei has a chance to finally clear her name and prove that she isn't crazy to her family. She heads out with the Order on a mission, without really asking enough questions. Along the way she makes some new friends. I loved the descriptions of the different faerie, but also wish there were more details about some of them, if that makes sense. I really look forward to reading the next book, and seeing where this group heads and what they get up to.
Wayne Scace
Aug 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
J. Sharp
Sep 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Lorelei is my kind of hero!

This is a fantastic book! I chose 5 stars because the characterization was tight and the main character of Lorelei was the right choice for this book about the fae. She is really sassy and brave. All of the characters are great. They all interacted well together. This book is for someone who likes a bit of intrigue mixed in with their epic fantasy.

5 stars
Sally Maxwell
Aug 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
I was lucky enough to receive an arc of this book in exchange for an honest review.
This book got me from the get go, I enjoyed the descriptions of all the other fairies and goblins, a nice change from the norm.
And Lorelei, is quite an interesting sidhe, I look forward to seeing how she develops.
Vandermere is a strange one to, and Vaana.
There is lots of action, it’s a fast paced story, but one that keeps you hooked.
Condra Stephens
Oct 17, 2019 rated it liked it
Great concept and plot. The characters were relateable and enjoyable. However, the writing is sloppy. There were so many grammatical errors. Also, the fight scenes were particularly annoying. They often did not often make sense because the sentence structure was so poor that one could not fully grasp the scene. Hopefully, the author and team have taken more time with the next book in the series because I am truly interested to see where the story takes us.
Tim Martin
Oct 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Engaging story! Looking forward for book 2 to be released in November!
faye gallagher
Jul 08, 2020
sean m magyar
Jul 04, 2020
Ed
rated it did not like it
Jul 17, 2020
Julia Kantor
Jan 02, 2020
Keith Dunn
Dec 06, 2019

• The Cursing Stones (Avalon Rising Book 1)
  • Prince of Foxes (Bright Spear Trilogy #1)
  • False Security (Death Before Dragons #5)
  • Storm Forged (Death Before Dragons #6)
  • Hidden Hope (Hope Book 1)
  • Sweep with Me (Innkeeper Chronicles, #4.5)
  • Uprising (The Blackwatch Chronicles Book 2)
  • Proven (The Blackwatch Chronicles Book 1)
  • All the Truths (Lies & Truths Duet, #2)
  • The Forbidden Ground (Death Before Dragons 4.5)
  • Djinn Justice (The Collegium, #2)
  • Crowned By Hell (Lili Kazana, #2)
  • Bully (The Academy Of Lies #1)
  • Cast From Heaven (Lili Kazana, #1)
  • Daughter Of Death (Death Family Drama #1)
  • A Lover's Worth (Spawn of Darkness #3)
  • Endless Knight (Darkling Mage Book 9)
  • Project Bloodborn - Book 6: WOLF KING: A werewolves and shifters novel.
Natalya Capello lives in a world of oddballs, weather wizards, and big dreams. Really, it’s just Texas. She loves chocolate and spaghetti (but not together!) and writes about fantastical worlds with strong heroines and lots of magic. When she’s not writing she enjoys spending time with her cat and playing video games and tabletop RPGs.

News & Interviews