Start by marking “Warden's Reign” as Want to Read:
Warden's Reign

Warden's Reign

(Essence of Ohr #1)

As a dark flame consumes the world, a larger threat looms over the refugees of Solpate.

WINNER: Pinnacle Book Achievement Award, Winter 2020 - Best Young Adult Fantasy
WINNER: Readers' Favorite Book Awards 2020 - Bronze Medal - Young Adult Fiction-Epic Fantasy

Orphans are snagged from their beds and used in the Warden’s dark experiments. Those who seek asylum in the forest mu
Published February 17th 2020 by Evolved Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Warden's Reign, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Warden's Reign

Start your review of Warden's Reign
J.P. Barnett
Nov 24, 2021 rated it it was amazing
In a word, Warden's Reign is absolutely spectacular. Stop reading my review, and just buy it already. Sheets' writing is fluid and engaging. There's enough intrigue to keep you flipping the pages, and enough action to keep you from zoning out. Every character has a part to play, and despite a good number of them, Sheets manages to keep them all straight for you, endearing each with unique qualities. The fantasy world that these characters inhabit grabbed my attention, feeling so tangible that it ...more
Bianca Ehrler
Mar 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book really hit the mark for me. The author is not afraid to throw the characters into tough situations and it helps make the story unpredictable. Really looking forward to the next in the series.
Amy
Mar 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I enjoy reading books like this... ones that make you feel as though you are living in the same world as the characters. Counting down the days until book 2.
Rachel
May 25, 2020 rated it really liked it
Fantasy literature lovers now have a new and richly complex world in which to get blissfully lost. Nothing is predictable in this debut novel, and the author does not shy from revealing that heroes are not always righteous and good doesn't always win. Expect to be thrilled, to laugh, to be horrified, and to grieve. And, expect to finish this first of the series impatient for Book 2 to be released. ...more
Richard Robbins
Jun 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I have read a number of fantasy books, but I particularly enjoyed this one. While it contained action, drama, and a well described evocative world, what really drew me into the story were the well developed characters. Author Parris Sheets has a keen eye for motivation and behavior, and creates characters which truly resonate, drawing you in to their adventure, making you care about their success or failures. An excellent, highly enjoyable book. Looking forward to the next volume.
Iseult Murphy
Cinematic fantasy adventure

The author writes well and I found it easy to picture each scene as described. I particularly admired how the close third person limited point of view was maintained throughout the book with Kole, the main character.

There are so many great ideas in this book. I loved the ramblers, the strange forest creatures, the black wall, the making of the kayetans, and the idea of the seven souls.

Unfortunately, the world building was severely lacking. Savairo didn’t make sense
Valinora Troy
Apr 29, 2022 rated it really liked it
Highly recommend this exciting and hugely imaginative story with fantastic world-building.
I absolutely loved the ramblers (the enormous trees who uproot themselves every night and walk around the forest of Solpate) and I would happily have spent more time in the forest learning about the children who escaped the city and their new way of life, and especially the ramblers, but events swept me and Kole (the protagonist) off to the city.
Savairo, the antagonist, is a super villain, and I love the ar
D.H. Nevins
Feb 28, 2022 rated it it was amazing
In a world of magic and ramblers - which are giant trees that roam in the night - a young orphan named Kole is desperate to prove himself. First, he tries to impress by proving he can be a shepherd of the ramblers. Later, the stakes are much higher when he must face the evil unleashed by Ohr's ruler, a sorcerer named Savairo.
I enjoyed Sheets' writing style and found her prose to be both beautiful and crisp. The story moved along at an excellent pace and kept me turing the pages. I also really l
E.D. Martin
Nov 15, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book hits all the beats of the typical fantasy hero's journey: a young protagonist violently pushed into action by irreversible damage to everything he's known, the old mentor who knows more than he's telling this protagonist, a reluctant quest, and lots of action. But what sets this book apart is that this protagonist actually acts like a teenager. He's justifiably angry about what's happened to the only family he's ever known, about being lied to by people he trusted and respected, about ...more
C.L.
Dec 14, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
I try to go into new fantasy stories with an open mind with lowered expectations to give each author an honest change. Totally didn't need this for this book!

From the first chapter to the end, Ms. Sheets has created this amazing world rich with history and mythos that intricately intertwine with her wonderful cast of characters in a way that complement each other. I got lost in the story and found myself invested in each character after their introductions. She lays bare the the darker sides of
Paul Sherwood
Dec 22, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great characters and a beautiful world

I rarely read young adult these days. I often find the characters bland and flat, and the plots so-so. But I picked this one up at the recommendation of a friend.

And I was not disappointed. What I like about it is the combination of traditional fantasy tropes and new, fresh ideas. It starts like many other fantasies, but quickly turns into a story of twists in which you’re never entirely sure who to trust. Kole acts like a real teenager, which is refreshing
Feb 19, 2022 rated it liked it
I have this at 3 stars ONLY because I like the world building. The rest was a bit of a mess for me.

Everyone loves a good underdog story, but the resistance was so pitifully small that it broke my immersion into the story. There is absolutely no way that a resistance of 5/6 teenagers, 30-40ish orphans, and a handful of starved-near-death farmers could defeat an army in head on battle. It doesn't add up no matter how many spells or special abilities you throw into the mix.

That and the entire (quit
Tina Wells
Mar 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book grabbed my attention from the beginning and I could not put it down! It usually takes me a few chapters to get into some books but the action takes you on an immediate journey from the start. Very well written, I can imagine being in Kole’s world with him, looking forward to the next book in the series!
Liz Scott
Jun 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
An amazing book! I cannot wait for the second one. I really enjoyed the characters and loved the fantasy world the author created.

I just wish it was longer! I need more! And I felt that I had a lot of unanswered questions which I hope will be answered in the upcoming books.
Sophia Essian
Kaleigh Johnson
Jul 20, 2021
Parris Sheets
Mar 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Rocky Essian
Viviana
Jul 17, 2021
John Gilligan
Nov 27, 2021

• A Touch of Darkness (Hades & Persephone, #1)
  • Billy Summers
  • Yellow Wife
  • Bury What We Cannot Take
  • The Stillwater Girls
  • Daughter of the Salt King
  • Gild (The Plated Prisoner, #1)
  • Whistle in the Dark
  • Daughters of Sparta
  • The Wild Zone
  • Wuthering Heights
  • The Quiet Girl
  • Strawberry Shortcake Murder (Hannah Swensen, #2)
  • 1st to Die (Women's Murder Club, #1)
  • The Exorcist
  • Bacchanal
  • The Purple Door District (The Purple Door District, #1)
  • Of Mice and Men