Start by marking “Fire & Water (Kate Kane, Paranormal Investigator #3)” as Want to Read:
Fire & Water (Kate Kane, Paranormal Investigator #3)

Fire & Water

(Kate Kane, Paranormal Investigator #3)

I like my whiskey like I like my women: embroiled in a magical war

Ten years ago I fought for the Witch Queen of London in a mystical showdown against a King Arthur wannabe with a shaved head and a shotgun. Back then, the law did for him before he could do for us.

I don’t think we’ll get that lucky again.

As if the mother of all wizard battles wasn’t bad enough, fate or desti
ebook
Published February 24th 2020 by Carina Press

To ask other readers questions about Fire & Water, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fire & Water

Start your review of Fire & Water (Kate Kane, Paranormal Investigator #3)
Lex Kent
I love this series! As a huge urban fantasy/paranormal fan and mystery/crime fan, the combo of both is just wonderful. Kate Kane is everything I love in a PI. She’s sarcastic and witty but also plenty flawed. She drinks too much, doesn’t always communicate well, and can be a total badass, but she has a heart of gold and tries to do what’s right. Kate’s inner thoughts and dialogue is so well done that I actually wrote down multiple quotes that made me laugh or smile. To put that in perspective I ...more
K.J. Charles
Absolutely love this series. Cracking London-based urban fantasy that has a lot of fun with the cliches of the genre while taking the adventures and emotions very seriously. In this installment the tangled web of the first two books is woven into a brand new threat (it is a testament to the author that I had no trouble picking up the story where I left off despite that being a few years ago) and the emotional developments go in some unexpected directions. Highly readable, very funny, proper urba ...more
Jude in the Stars
Feb 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
4.5*

For reasons entirely unrelated to the book itself, it took me a week to read Fire & Water, the third episode of Kate “not Batwoman” Kane’s adventures by Alexis Hall. A novel that length, I usually read in one sitting, two days at the most. It’s a testament to the author’s sense of pacing and overall talent that I never had any trouble going back straight and deep into the story whenever I managed to sit down and read.

Fire & Water picks up six months after Shadows & Dreams. Kate is once again
Mel
Sep 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book was fucking fantastic.

Lately, I haven't enjoyed reading so much, but it seems to me now that it was the books and not me since I enjoyed reading this newest installment of Kate Kane's story so so very much.

Basically everything about this was great. And I am liking where this is all going.

I wonder whether Kate will eventually dip into her darker fairy part or at least be able to be more in control about it. I love Elise and her interactions with her sisters and the inate objects. I hope
Alexis
More Trouble. More Baddies. Same Snarky Kate.

The plot. Kate just can't seem to catch a break when she's approached by the Merchant of Dreams to retrieve a stolen item. That shouldn't be too hard but when you consider this item is an immensely powerful weapon that has everyone and their literal grandma chasing after it, things become a little more complicated. Kate can certainly use all the help she can get but who can she truly rely on?

The characters. Where would Kate even be without her entoura
Sibil
Feb 05, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: readtoreview
Thanks to NetGalley and to the Editor. I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review

I have started this series ages ago, and I was madly in love with it. But we had just two books to go around and I had waited soooo long for a sequel! So, when I learned that they were publishing it I was excited. Really, really excited. And, to be better prepared for this book, I have re-read the first one (re-edited, and you can find my review here).
What I discovered is that I have f
XR
Mar 16, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2020
Wendy
Jan 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I love this series! When I received the ARC for this book, I went and re-read books 1 and 2 just to re-acquaint with the world. I highly recommend reading them before starting this one. That way, one gets to know Kate Kane and the cast of characters surrounding her. Kate in one of my favourite characters in all the books I've read. She's cynical and jaded, but also loyal and truly bad-ass. This time, Kate finds herself in the middle of a mage war. She's supernaturally obligated to help Nimue. At ...more
Louise
Feb 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing

It’s no secret that the Kate Kane books are one of my favourite series. It’s been a duology for a while, but I hadn’t given up hope that the series would continue. I was super duper excited when –finally! — the author announced Fire & Water was coming out (along with cover redesigns for the whole series. It could easily have been a case of over-hyping yourself but, I’m thrilled to say, this latest installment met all my expectations.

Fire & Water picks up on many of the plot threads from the prev
✰  BJ's Book Blog ✰Janeane ✰
Jan 28, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc-team
ARC received via Netgalley for an honest review

I jumped for joy - I had finally been approved for an Alexis Hall ARC.

Now, I am new to the Kate Kane series, jumped into book 3 without reading the first two, so it did take me a little while to get into the rhythm of the book.

Once I was there, I really had a fun old time reading and I just adored Kate and her friends. I love the banter, the fight scenes were wonderfully executed.

Now, because I haven't read the previous books, I was a bit confuzzled
Ay
Feb 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I received an advanced reader copy in exchange for an honest review.

Fire & Water is book 3 in the Kate Kane paranormal series. I have read each book as it has been published. I reread them back to back to fully understand what was going on. The series improves with rereading.

Book 3 resolves the story, but plenty is left for more stories, which is delightful.

We get to hang out with Kate and her world. The characters are great and multifaceted. Kate seems to be overly fond of roaring up to peopl
Colleen Corgel
Feb 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Wow, this series just keeps getting better, and darker than ever! It has all the elements of the best urban fantasy, and still packs a huge amount of emotional punch, especially at the end. Kate Kane is dragged, once again, into a magical fight with people that are much stronger than she is, and with far less care for morals and ethics. In the past two books, she is able to come away, somewhat worse for wear, but the world is saved. This time, there is a bit of a change to the proceedings, with ...more
Annathea
Dec 14, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2020
I didn't expect the ending to be so bitter. Thank gods, the next instalment is already here. ...more
Amy
Apr 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
NO. HOW DARE ALEXIS HALL AND THE BOOK THIS WAY I AM SO SAD AND UPSET HOLY SHIT WHAT THE HELL

At the same time boy am I glad there's more books coming because jeeezus fuck if that's how the entire series ended I would have rioted.

What a rollercoaster
Andi
Apr 05, 2020 marked it as to-read
Shelves: arc, audiobook, hoopla
The third in the Kate Kane series. You should NOT read these as standalone. Read them in order.

These books all have a very investigator, noire feel to them. And the Kate Kane snark - when faced with just unbelievably difficult scenarios - is truly brilliant to read.

I liked this one the least of the three, though it was still very entertaining. The books have been ending less and less happily, and this one was pretty rough.
Betty
Mar 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
4.75 *

I loved this book. It has been a long while since I read the first two and I thought I might need to reread them first. I didn't. The story is complete and doesn't require too much recall of previous events. So long as you remember who the characters are.

Fast paced, the story hurtles through one magical disaster to another. Loved it.

Hall has a very particular style, and although sometimes it can drag a little, sometimes that sense of hurtling through the story is exactly right.
Ginger
Dec 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I was given a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

WOW. I did not see the plot twists for this book coming.

Kate Spade is back. She is trying to find an artifact that will tip the scales of the world as she knows it.

Eliseo continues to grow as a "person" and discovers she has sisters created, animated and discarded by the same evil sculptor.

The vampires continue to conspire and betray - will anyone survive?
Annie Maus
Feb 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Alexis Hall’s Fire & Water could be the spawn of Humphrey Bogart (in The Maltese Falcon or Treasure of Sierra Madre) and a brilliant multi-level interactive video game. Add in Hall’s luxuriant command of facts and language. Shake them, don’t stir. The result is a novel that… well, Kate Kane, our paranormal investigator/heroine describes it perfectly: “There’s too much about all of this that doesn’t quite make sense.” But that’s exactly Fire & Water’s noir appeal. We’re on a fast-moving ride, wai ...more
Maureen Lubitz
Mar 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Originally posted on You Have Your Hands Full

This is the third book in Hall’s Kate Kane: Paranormal Investigator series of contemporary urban fantasy novels. There are plenty of series where the books function as standalones, but this is not the case with the Kate Kane books. Readers need to start with Iron & Velvet in order to understand what’s going on.

Frankly, I’ve read the first two books and I still don’t know what’s going on. I don’t mean this as an insult—the book is wonderful, but the p
Charlotte
Feb 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
I find myself in the enviable position of not being able to come up with enough words of praise for this series. The first series I read by Alexis Hall was on the opposite end of the literary spectrum to this one. I read the Spires series. It's firmly rooted in the contemporary world we are familiar with and its primary characters are men. What I loved immediately was the way that Hall writes characters.

The Kate Kane Paranormal Investigator books have some of the best characters I've read in the
Cheryl
May 12, 2020 rated it really liked it
The third book in the paranormal Kate Kane series and it keeps getting crazier - which is definitely a good thing.
This is the kind of book I feel like you need to strap yourself in for. It's a crazy, bumpy, frazzling ride but vividly interesting throughout with hardly time to take a breath.
Kate Kane has a knack of getting in trouble as she tries to unravel paranormal underworld and otherworldly problems, and while some of this seems the same as book two (take out the bad guy/girl), book three ad
Nicki
Listened to audio 5* on everything so pleased there's another couple of books in this series. Great contemporary fantasy with a detective plot that really draws you in but the best thing about the series is the tongue in cheek humour.

I would recommend this for fans of Gail Carriger and probably Jim Butcher's Dresden files (if you don't mind the ladies taking the lead for a change).
Penny
Jun 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
Tina
Sera Taíno
Feb 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: paranormal
Unlike many other readers, I came at this series in the last 12 months, so I never saw their previous iterations, nor did I have to wait so long for the third installment.

So I had another sensibility altogether when I picked up this series. While I found the first two books to be witty and engaging, I felt the writing was strongest in this installment. There is still a lot happening in these books, so many creatures betraying and realigning their allegiances, engaging plot twists and a break-nec
The Sapphic Nerd
Apr 25, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Scratches the Kate Kane itch, though not as good as the other books.

While I love this series and the characters in it, this one is my least favourite so far, maybe because there isn't as much action or romance? There's a lot of talking and planning, and it ends on a bittersweet note where no one really wins. I will say I've been waiting for a certain relationship to turn out the way it did, and I just want the next book to know how things pan out.
Carolina Rossouw
Mar 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Good addition to the series overall. Without devolving into spoiler territory, I’ll just say I firmly fall on the “I liked it” side of the Marmite/Vegemite ending of the book. If you’re a fan of twisty, off kilter urban fantasy featuring smart mouth heroines with some fun self destructive tendencies, this series is for you.
Dr. T
Jul 11, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lesbian_fiction
I really liked this series but was really disappointed with this one. Kate is just a bit too snarky and sarcastic this time round. The best part of the other books for me was the relationship between Julian and Kate, which was nonexistent in this book and ended in such a shitty way.
The whole story was fine but very convoluted and didn't really make sense in the end? Too many plots in one.
Jennie
3.5 stars. This series has become a fun, easy place to spend time in with lots of action and great characters. Fire & Water is no exception, but I did feel like the plot was occasionally all over the place. Just a heads up that it ends on a couple of small cliffhangers. It'll be fun to see where the story goes next ...more
Odd Bin
Jul 31, 2020 rated it really liked it
I reread books 1 and 2, just to make sure I was 100% up to speed with the story line (wink wink), before I started this one and it was just a wonderful way to spend a couple of days. Loved the first two, loved this one.

• Treasured
  • Daughter of the Sun (Tales of Inthya, #2)
  • Good Enough to Eat (The Vampire Diet, #1)
  • Forever and A Day: a Those Who Wait story
  • The Last
  • The Sugared Game (The Will Darling Adventures #2)
  • The Bird and the Sword (The Bird and the Sword Chronicles, #1)
  • Mutual Benefits
  • The Tyrant’s Tomb (The Trials of Apollo, #4)
  • Witching Moon
  • Reaping the Benefits
  • Sconed to Death (Cat Latimer Mystery #5)
  • Bless Her Dead Heart (The Righteous, #1)
  • When All the Girls Have Gone (Cutler, Sutter, & Salinas #1)
  • Hotel Queens
  • Slippery Creatures (The Will Darling Adventures #1)
  • Finding Jessica Lambert
Genrequeer writer of kissing books.

I use Goodreads incredibly sporadically, which means I review when I remember. If at all.

Kate Kane, Paranormal Investigator (4 books)
  • Iron & Velvet (Kate Kane, Paranormal Investigator, #1)
  • Shadows & Dreams (Kate Kane, Paranormal Investigator #2)
  • Smoke & Ashes (Kate Kane, Paranormal Investigator #4)